The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Both are superior athletes. However, it isn't about who is the better athlete.

At the highest level of competition the difference between taking home a gold medal and a silver medal in the Olympics can be a mere 100th of a second.

The amount of deliberate practice determines the outcome. McGregor has thousands of hours of practice in MMA conditioning not only his muscles but neurological connections, and that's not going to be able to be reversed in a time period of less than a year to adapt for a boxing fight.

Sure, we all know Conor at one point boxed, and there is a certain level of boxing incorporated within the MMA style. But akin to the Olympics analogy above, Floyd has 3+ decades of deliberate practice, whereas its only one piece to the puzzle for Conor.

This is like taking the gold medalist of the 800m and trying to put them up against the gold medalist of the 1500m, in the 1500m race. Both are spectacular runners, but have deliberately trained for their specific event for a lifetime.

There are petty arguments to be made in favor of both fighters, such as physical attributes, age, experience, who's got what to lose, fighting styles, "southpaw", this or that, etc.

At the end of the day, you have a career lifetime boxer from a world class boxing family, who was living and breathing the sport the second he could walk, versus someone who picked up boxing at the age of 12 and uses it as one tool in his arsenal.

Its hyped up, because "superfights" sell, much like how superteams colliding (like this past NBA championship) create lots of anticipation.

When you throw a lion in the ocean, the shark shall feast.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JustKris

Writing and talking, basically.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Oct 16, 2012
In the mountains
Conor McGregor is the best trash-talker since Muhammad Ali. It's incredible that he's talked (willed?) his way into this match-up. He's going to get paid more for this match than all of his other fights combined. Sure, he'll lose a decision. But what a business move!

McGregor winning would be the biggest upset in sporting history, much less boxing history. But who knows, maybe he'll will it into existence.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Last edited:

Kane9

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
654%
May 31, 2016
London
McGregor has little more than a punchers chance. But I'm not sure that will bother him when he's looking at his bank account. What he has done over the past 4 years is truely remarkable - he is an inspiring guy.

They've done an amazing job at hyping this and capturing the imagination of a lot of the public over the last year.

But I can't help but feel it's not a serious sporting event.

It's like when you're sat around with your friends, and someone asks one of them hypothetical questions "What would win in a fight, a Tiger or a Shark?"

They're fun to ponder but that's about it.

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
If McGregor wins it he will literally shock the world... Mayweather is probably one of the TOP5 all time greatest boxers. This is a fight game so anything can happen, but this is two very different sports. All those little datles changes game a lot.. Put some fences, put different gloves etc. etc. and this is completely different ball game :)

Anyway they both are in my top list as favorite atheltes and there will be only winners here including us - fans :) Even build up and interviews before the fight will be awesome!

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

Rickchise23

@clickpickRick
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
503%
Mar 25, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
I kinda feel like Connor is going to hit him with an elbow and get dq'd say it was just instinct maybe in the 9th round when he's tired of Floyd dancing and tapping him with jabs. He still gets paid so why not? Plus they could setup a second fight and Connor could double up his networth and Floyd could pay his taxes lol

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I'm bookmarking my own comment to follow up with in a couple months with an "I told you so."

McGregor has zero chance of winning. If any of you have ever trained boxing or followed boxing as a fan, then you know this.

Also, this will likely be an incredibly short and mediocre fight. Floyd Mayweather is one of the most boring fighters to watch, extremely defensive, and risk averse. The only exciting parts will be when McGregor opens himself up and gets pummeled.

I won't be paying for this fight. Every single Mayweather fight for the past ten years has been a disappointment. However, it seems like people have a short memory or no knowledge at all of how this fight will look.

With that said, I'll be checking the odds and putting up to $10k on Mayweather if the odds are more favorable than 10-1.

McGregor has zero chance of winning. Only way he'd win is if Mayweather threw the fight, however Mayweather's brand is built around being undefeated. He won't trash his brand for a "rematch" which he can get without trashing it.

You really think in 2 months someone can find an "angle" to beat the winningest fighter of our generation?

This. Hype for this fight will be amazing. Fight itself will be boring and short.

His brand's built around being undefeated. It's not just pride but a lifetime of branding atstake.

Expect tickets to be $2k+ for nosebleeds. Mayweather fights have a tendency to be manipulated on the promotion side to limit the amount of tickets sold.

I said I expect the fight to be a debacle, so no, I don't expect Connor to win.

When Muhammad Ali fought George Foreman, Foreman was an absolute killer. After a fight, his opponents went straight to the hospital. Foreman (recently) admitted that he actually tried to kill Ken Norton in the ring. He was a terrifying boxer, and nobody could see how Ali could beat him. Yet, Ali beat him. How? Ali used the rare "rope-a-dope" strategy to lean deep in to the ropes to avoid Foreman's head-shots. After 8 rounds of trying to kill Ali, Foreman got tired, and Ali quickly dropped him.

I mention Ali/Foreman because it was a fight that no one thought Ali had a chance to win, yet he did win, by changing the game itself. Connor doesn't have to figure out how to win, he just needs someone on his side to, and then he can implement the plan. In my opinion, this is the only way he has a chance to win.

The quote below is about how people felt before the Ali/Foreman fight, and it doesn't sound very different than what people are saying about the McGregor/Mayweather fight:

How Muhammad Ali won 'Rumble in the Jungle' with rope-a-dope, video analysis and no sex

Kilroy remembers Zaire vividly and still almost shivers at the thought of entering Foreman's dressing room in the minutes before the fight to see the champion's hands get taped. Hugh McIlvanney, the doyen of British sportswriters, summed up the mood in a single sentence: "As we go to the stadium at that unreal hour we shall be hoping for a miracle but dreading a calamity."

It was a feeling shared globally after Foreman had demolished two fighters in Joe Frazier and Ken Norton who were the only men to have beaten Ali.

So what was really the feeling inside Ali's entourage in those moments before the fight? "My biggest fear was, suppose Ali got hurt,” says Kilroy. “How good are the hospitals in Zaire? What would we have to do? Go on an aeroplane and get to Paris. I discussed this with Ali and he said: 'Don't worry about me, worry about George’."

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I kinda feel like Connor is going to hit him with an elbow and get dq'd say it was just instinct maybe in the 9th round when he's tired of Floyd dancing and tapping him with jabs. He still gets paid so why not? Plus they could setup a second fight and Connor could double up his networth and Floyd could pay his taxes lol

Supposedly Connor will get severe financial penalties if he breaks the rules, Dana White has mentioned that in several interviews.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I said I expect the fight to be a debacle, so no, I don't expect Connor to win.

When Muhammad Ali fought George Foreman, Foreman was an absolute killer. After a fight, his opponents went straight to the hospital. Foreman (recently) admitted that he actually tried to kill Ken Norton in the ring. He was a terrifying boxer, and nobody could see how Ali could beat him. Yet, Ali beat him. How? Ali used the rare "rope-a-dope" strategy to lean deep in to the ropes to avoid Foreman's head-shots. After 8 rounds of trying to kill Ali, Foreman got tired, and Ali quickly dropped him.

I mention Ali/Foreman because it was a fight that no one thought Ali had a chance to win, yet he did win, by changing the game itself. Connor doesn't have to figure out how to win, he just needs someone on his side to, and then he can implement the plan. In my opinion, this is the only way he has a chance to win.

The quote below is about how people felt before the Ali/Foreman fight, and it doesn't sound very different than what people are saying about the McGregor/Mayweather fight:

How Muhammad Ali won 'Rumble in the Jungle' with rope-a-dope, video analysis and no sex

Kilroy remembers Zaire vividly and still almost shivers at the thought of entering Foreman's dressing room in the minutes before the fight to see the champion's hands get taped. Hugh McIlvanney, the doyen of British sportswriters, summed up the mood in a single sentence: "As we go to the stadium at that unreal hour we shall be hoping for a miracle but dreading a calamity."

It was a feeling shared globally after Foreman had demolished two fighters in Joe Frazier and Ken Norton who were the only men to have beaten Ali.

So what was really the feeling inside Ali's entourage in those moments before the fight? "My biggest fear was, suppose Ali got hurt,” says Kilroy. “How good are the hospitals in Zaire? What would we have to do? Go on an aeroplane and get to Paris. I discussed this with Ali and he said: 'Don't worry about me, worry about George’."

You're citing a fight from 43 years ago.

In that 43 years, boxing technique has evolved extraordinarily.

Here's the fight you cited:

Notice how their technique is to run at each other and throw random punches.

Boxing has evolved from that to a largely defensive sport. A boxer today would easily beat a boxer from 40 years ago. A boxer today would also easily beat a boxer from 20 years ago. That's why there's no more Mike Tyson's . There's no top boxers that just run out and wail. There's only champion boxers that are masters at technique and defense. The sport has shifted from "attack" to "defense".

Floyd Mayweather is a master at technique and defensive strategy.

You really think that in a span of two months Conor McGregor is going to invent a new "rope-a-dope" technique that will stun Mayweather? You really think that he'll do it while the 49 fighters Mayweather fought before were too stupid to try something new?

I get a bit riled up when I hear arguments like yours. And it's not that you don't have a valid argument, it's just that you completely ignore statistics (Mayweather's consistent track record), and diminish his level of mastery.

Your argument is the equivalent of saying: "Oprah Winfrey would have done a better job than Steve Jobs at running Apple because she would have used her out of the box thinking to gain more market share." Though both individuals were extremely respectable, and top of their fields, their fields were completely different and largely uncorrelated. Steve Jobs was the best in tech. Just like Mayweather is the best at boxing in his weight class. He's a master. Connor McGregor for all intents and purposes is a boxing amateur.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
You're citing a fight from 43 years ago.

In that 43 years, boxing technique has evolved extraordinarily.

Here's the fight you cited:

Notice how their technique is to run at each other and throw random punches.

Boxing has evolved from that to a largely defensive sport. A boxer today would easily beat a boxer from 40 years ago. A boxer today would also easily beat a boxer from 20 years ago. That's why there's no more Mike Tyson's . There's no top boxers that just run out and wail. There's only champion boxers that are masters at technique and defense. The sport has shifted from "attack" to "defense".

Floyd Mayweather is a master at technique and defensive strategy.

You really think that in a span of two months Conor McGregor is going to invent a new "rope-a-dope" technique that will stun Mayweather? You really think that he'll do it while the 49 fighters Mayweather fought before were too stupid to try something new?

I get a bit riled up when I hear arguments like yours. And it's not that you don't have a valid argument, it's just that you completely ignore statistics (Mayweather's consistent track record), and diminish his level of mastery.

Your argument is the equivalent of saying: "Oprah Winfrey would have done a better job than Steve Jobs at running Apple because she would have used her out of the box thinking to gain more market share." Though both individuals were extremely respectable, and top of their fields, their fields were completely different and largely uncorrelated. Steve Jobs was the best in tech. Just like Mayweather is the best at boxing in his weight class. He's a master. Connor McGregor for all intents and purposes is a boxing amateur.

I already said twice that I expect the match to be a debacle, with Connor losing, so I'm not going to say it a 3rd time. Not sure why you think I'm ignoring Mayweather's record when I expect him to win. I also said Connor doesn't have to be the one to figure out whatever angle he attempts to use.

I will point out that Connor expects to win for the same reason you expect him to lose. You said "A boxer today would also easily beat a boxer from 20 years ago", well, Connor starts boxing professionally this year, and Mayweather started boxing professionally 21 years ago.

Last edited:

jmomcc

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 10, 2014
It always amuses me that people pay for Mayweather fights and then complain because they are 'boring'. He's a boxing technician and one of the best ever at that. Only pay if that is what you enjoy watching.

I think McGregor has a puncher's chance. I think it's much more likely that Mayweather knocks him out early or at least knocks him down several times before winning on points. This is an expert vs an amateur. Mayweather might break out of his defensive style a little against someone he knows can't touch him.

It kind of reminds me the movie 'The Great White Hype' from back in the day. As long as Mayweather doesn't show up with a beer gut, he should be good to go.. and even then, he could probably still win.

jmomcc

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 10, 2014
I already said twice that I expect the match to be a debacle, with Connor losing, so I'm not going to say it a 3rd time. Not sure why you think I'm ignoring Mayweather's record when I expect him to win. I also said Connor doesn't have to be the one to figure out whatever angle he attempts to use.

I will point out that Connor expects to win for the same reason you expect him to lose. You said "A boxer today would also easily beat a boxer from 20 years ago", well, Connor starts boxing professionally this year, and Mayweather started boxing professionally 21 years ago.

That's not really what he meant, come on. You still need the lifetime of training.

Also, I thought the important thing about the Ali/Foreman fight is that Ali was one of the greatest boxers of all time willing himself to a win. McGregor doesn't have that experience.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016

Ricoboxing

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Oct 30, 2014
Canada
Conor McGregors boxing skills are primitive at best. Any decent pro boxer would beat him in a boxing match. He is still a winner cause he's making more money in this one fight than all his MMA fights combined.

BTW I was a pro boxer many moons ago, so I know a little bit about the fight game.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland

As an Irish person I will personally be putting money on McGregor to beat Mayweather within 4 rounds like he predicted and also on McGregor to knock him down at any point in the fight. He's come good on 4/5 on his previous 'Mystic Mc' predictions and I know that's not an indicator of future performance as those statements were made when fighting in the UFC but I'm going to back one of my own 100%. If he beats Mayweather the country is going to go crazy!

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Who's got the will to win?

McGregor & Mayweather are both incredible competitors. They both make a ton of money here regardless of who wins. But Mayweather has a lot more to lose. McGregor can claim moral victory if he lands a solid hit or two but Mayweather takes a decision, so I don't believe McGregor has the willpower edge here.

And that's before considering the basic fact that you have a non-boxer going up against a world class boxer. That's all you need to know.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I know nothing about neither... seems like an Alien V Predator or a Batman V Superman setup.

Therefore whomever is in their most natural setting will win.

Someone mentioned above, it's about training. One has trained for a lifetime, establishing neuroconnections and reactions, the other is training for a year. Put the two together and I'll bet on someone has lived the sport as a PROCESS, not as an event.

Bruce Lee... I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 moves, I fear the man who has practiced the move 10,000 times.

I think the equivalent to this is the BEST college football team (National Champion) suiting up to play the WORST NFL team ... the NFL team would kill the college team, but it's fun to speculate and then watch.

LifeDeathTime

It's funny cause we're all going to die anyways
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 28, 2017
Austin, TX

As an Irish person I will personally be putting money on McGregor to beat Mayweather within 4 rounds like he predicted and also on McGregor to knock him down at any point in the fight. He's come good on 4/5 on his previous 'Mystic Mc' predictions and I know that's not an indicator of future performance as those statements were made when fighting in the UFC but I'm going to back one of my own 100%. If he beats Mayweather the country is going to go crazy!

I agree. I think people over look that McGregor has never been beaten in a stand-up fight. His 3 losses were all submissions. Of his 21 wins, 16 were knockouts from punches alone. He started boxing at age 12 at the Cremlin Boxing Club. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Mayweather is risking his entire legacy chasing a check. He admitted this verbatim, "An offer he could not refuse."

Hasn't MJ taught us that chasing money puts you in bad situations?

Jose Aldo hadn't lost in over 10 years and got knocked out in 13 seconds. I think it'll happen again. If Conor connects, he will knock Mayweather out. I just hope someone from Mayweather's corner doesn't try to kill Conor if he wins.

It's some Rocky Balboa shit forsure though.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I know nothing about neither... seems like an Alien V Predator or a Batman V Superman setup.

Therefore whomever is in their most natural setting will win.

Someone mentioned above, it's about training. One has trained for a lifetime, establishing neuroconnections and reactions, the other is training for a year. Put the two together and I'll bet on someone has lived the sport as a PROCESS, not as an event.

Bruce Lee... I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 moves, I fear the man who has practiced the move 10,000 times.

I think the equivalent to this is the BEST college football team (National Champion) suiting up to play the WORST NFL team ... the NFL team would kill the college team, but it's fun to speculate and then watch.

I agree: practice, experience, and talent normally determine who wins a contest. Yet there are exceptions. In 1980, the American Hockey team beat the Russian Hockey Team in the "Miracle on Ice". They had a 1-in-1000 chance of winning. Supposedly, the Russians where use to demolishing opponents, and the Americans defense unnerved them, causing them to change some plans and shuffle players. This took them out of their normal offensive game, and caused them to start reacting to what the Americans where doing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gfD134ED54

https://www.bigonsports.com/top-underdog-payouts-us-sports-betting-history/

A big part of Conor's plan should be to frustrate Mayweather, and take him out of his normal game. Personally, I expect Conor to try and make the fight a "hug-fest", man-handle Mayweather, and go for upper-cuts. If he tries to box Mayweather, he should get easily picked a part.

Conor posted a picture of sparring partner Paulie Malignaggi on the ground. Conor's camp said Paulie was knocked down, Paulie's camp said he was pushed. I believe Paulie, and I think Conor was practicing his ability to man-handle a boxer. I expect to see Floyd pushed to the ground, too. It may cost points during the fight, but if it takes Mayweather out of his game, Conor might get a chance to land his left-hand.

nintchdbpict000343448124.jpg

I watched an MMA fight, where it was illegal to hit a fighter who had one-hand on the ground, and one of the fighters kept kneeling and touching the ground. The other fighter simply did a dead-lift and picked the guy up in the air, let go of him, and nailed him with a kidney punch right before the guy landed on the ground. I had an old-school stick-fighting teacher that would sacrifice his stick to steal his opponent's stick. He did this in a match in the 30s, and the referee got knocked out when he stepped in to separate the fighters (thinking both fighter's sticks were trapped). When everyone knows what is supposed to happen, the time is ripe for innovation.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
I have a strange feeling Conor is going to win (fixed) and Vegas is going to cash out HARD, Floyd gets paid out tens of millions on the side. Weird prediction of mine.

strobe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
In recent news Paulie Malignaggi (2 weight boxing champ) went around talking rubbish earlier in the year saying the camera man could outbox Mcgregor. Mcgregor flew him into his camp just over a week and they went 12 rounds sparring and then a few days later Paulie went out saying he got pushed over and quit and beat up Mcgregor, well yesterday footage was released of Mcgregor lighting up a former boxing champ and knocking him flat on his back... So if thats any indicator to boxing fans that he can't "touch" Floyd then the whole world will be shocked especially boxing fan boys.

Also 16th August the boxing commission is voting on 8 ounce gloves instead of 10.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Conor does have boxing experience. He's also in peak shape at the ultimate peak time of his physical life.

There's an 11 year lifespan difference between the two.

I'd be very cautious stating Conner has 0 chance. If you're almost 40 or over, you know how big of a difference it is than when you were 29.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
In recent news Paulie Malignaggi (2 weight boxing champ) went around talking rubbish earlier in the year saying the camera man could outbox Mcgregor. Mcgregor flew him into his camp just over a week and they went 12 rounds sparring and then a few days later Paulie went out saying he got pushed over and quit and beat up Mcgregor, well yesterday footage was released of Mcgregor lighting up a former boxing champ and knocking him flat on his back... So if thats any indicator to boxing fans that he can't "touch" Floyd then the whole world will be shocked especially boxing fan boys.

Also 16th August the boxing commission is voting on 8 ounce gloves instead of 10.

To be fair Paulie couldnt touch Floyd either.

Lets not forget that one of these guys got lit up by Nate F*cking Diaz. :clap::

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.