The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Computer Code Is Dead. What's Next?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I created my first websites using FrontPage Express :happy:

Ended up learning Perl to write CGI scripts because I couldn't get the damn FrontPage Server Extensions to work. 20+ years later I still code my stuff by hand :praise:

I was trying to make an internet directory where people could vote for their favorite URLS, to compete with YAHOO which was curated by hand. I lacked the back-end knowledge at the time to tie it all together. I stopped working on it when life-stuff started happening. I should have kept at it, as it was 7 years before Digg, lol.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Excel was the tool that help people to manage data without learning how to code.

Maybe an advanced “excel” is born/will be born and For someone who don’t know how to code, I can use to create app?

I need some analogy to understand the pov better.

HelpAndProsper

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 1, 2018
Boston
Disagree that code is dead (but understand the reasoning to use such copy in the title.) Leveraging WYSIWYG editors and/or templates/frameworks will never kill the foundations of that of which it is built on. Plus, technology and how we interface with it is always changing and new markets will emerge and change over time. Until we develop true AGI, I wouldn't worry about this in the same way that any market saturation doesn't mean there are no opportunities left in that market. And even if we develop true AGI, some of these markets may still exist... We cannot predict the future.

Another note: WYSIWYG platforms are often tools built with custom code. So sometimes rather than panning for gold, it makes more sense to build the pans.

I do agree that barriers of entry are easier and easier on any service business with less financial risk. But, this doesn't mean it is unwise for one to avoid starting such businesses. Like yes, one does better their odds of massive success if there business has a high barrier to entry. And Entry is one metric of CENTS. But, sometimes you are better off operating from your home than signing a lease for commercial property on borrowed money.

Much like gaining traction on social media, the more places you can be, the better. If one can have a website, be on all popular social media accounts, have a physical location, have an app, an engaging rewards program, an email list, etc. They will better their odds of success as they have more "fishing lines." Also, considering the remaining lockdowns in certain parts of the world, going all in on a physical location and neglecting other "fishing lines" could be an unwise decision.

Perhaps it's more code. And also engineering new or improved physical technologies. Of course this will have a ripple effect in other areas such as the social opportunities you had mentioned.

The next big skillset/thing is quite speculative from any given instance; even when using the best data. It could be nanotechnology development, maybe visual UI design for brain-computer interfaces, maybe it's developing new approaches to carbon capture?

I do agree with a good portion of what you are writing about and understand that high barrier to entry can be a really good thing. But, the premise that a skillset is ever dead is something I can't quite get behind. Especially something like code of which helped tons of other skillsets to flourish.

Now all that being written, I may have misinterpreted or misunderstood some of your perspective. So if I missed something don't hesitate to let me know.
Great post.

Yeah, I'm a Front End Developer. I mostly code JS and React.js.

I've considered programmers becoming obsolete, but it's not gonna happen for a loooong time.

Why? Because each business/situation needs customizations. An editor like WIX cannot cover all bases.

You will always need developers to code something different, enhance something, etc.

You just can't create an editor that does everything. There are too many variables and niches within software that require a programmer's understanding and skillset to implement.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Low code / No code has been here for a long time already.. before those buzz words ever hit the market.

Now that it is a buzz word, nothing is going to change either.

Kinda like drop servicing.. that's been around for a long time. But now we got a buzz word for it. Service providers aren't going anywhere, right?

So much limitation to what can be built, coders will be in demand just from the perspective they need someone to code the "glue" or the "gotcha special need" that is missing.

Plus, someone needs to code the no code tool too.

Coders aren't going anywhere, but if you are worried about it then learn a complementary skill like marketing to go along with it.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
Great post.

Yeah, I'm a Front End Developer. I mostly code JS and React.js.

I've considered programmers becoming obsolete, but it's not gonna happen for a loooong time.

Why? Because each business/situation needs customizations. An editor like WIX cannot cover all bases.

You will always need developers to code something different, enhance something, etc.

You just can't create an editor that does everything. There are too many variables and niches within software that require a programmer's understanding and skillset to implement.

Exactly. I find the editors that attempt to accommodate more varieties of websites often create their own learning curves which is counter intuitive to the "easy" selling point they were going for from the beginning.

MVP..dev

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 7, 2019
South Florida
Fun post. As someone who worked in corporate software development for 22 years and who also owned a traditional dev agency and currently a no code dev agency, I love to see how these discussions unfold.

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
Excel was the tool that help people to manage data without learning how to code.

Maybe an advanced “excel” is born/will be born and For someone who don’t know how to code, I can use to create app?

I need some analogy to understand the pov better.
I'm not a coder but am comfortable with WordPress and HTML/CSS.

Last Friday, I wanted to test out this idea for a custom app on my website that included an order management component. I had played around with AirTable before for about 30 minutes, but within a few hours I had a functioning (albeit basic) ordering system embedded on my website where customers could place an order (via forms) and view their order history (via grid table view). It had email notifications for the orders and was mobile responsive. I spent way more time trying to restrict access to the customer portal pages in WordPress where the ordering system lived. I'm not sure how much customisation you can do to the AirTable forms and views, but they look pretty good out of the box.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
Crazy how premonitory this thread was.

Especially this part:
I am reading every day that "low-code" and "no-code" are coming (they are already there). Basically, anyone will be able to make more apps and more websites with very little coding knowledge, or none at all.

Creating an app or a website will be as easy as opening an Airbnb:
Step 1: register on the platform.
Step 2: watch the educational video
Step 3: do your thing

What do you think about this? Do you agree?

Obviously, I'm not saying you'll be able to create a computer OS with no-code. There will still be a need for people to write "complicated" software (defense, industrial).

Simply, the barrier of entry to the creation of digital assets will be drastically lowered. I read about a guy creating an Airbnb copycat with a no-code tool.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019