The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Competitor bullying salespeople

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
A lot of local news stations have "investigator" teams as a way of generating more news stories. Maybe you could have a reporter pose as a prospective client and then write a news story on how a local business resorts to bullying tactics to hurt its competitors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

GuestUser450

Ignoring the fact that your real problem might be selling a commodity...This is actually a win.

You want competitors to trash talk. It's persuasion 101.

When people (like your customers/potential customers) complain about a business, it's damaging because they speak for the market.

Competitors speak from a position of brand, we inherently know this. So when Mercedes slings mud at Tesla, no one thinks "Oh man, they must be garbage." Instead we think, "Who is this Tesla and why are they worthy of Mercedes' wrath? Why are they even bothering? I don't like Mercedes, does that mean I'd love Tesla?", etc.

Genuine threats and abuse should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. If someone threatens you or a customer, call the police and report them not the company.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GuestUser450

The only way out we see is to hire same bullying team, and instruct them to ruin 10 sales for competitor store for every 1 they ruin for us.
Nonsense. Focus on your customers! Solve their problems and overdeliver. They'll fight for you using the most powerful weapon that exists: their wallet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Is it actually affecting your revenue?

Are people leaving the store because of it?

If yes, then you have a case. Scare them first, of course: they won't wanna go to court because it's too expensive for them.

Get a lawyer to write a cease and desist letter, saying that they're slandering your name. Tell them to stop, and if it's continued, threaten them with legal action.

99.9% of the time you won't need to actually go to court to get people to stop. They don't wanna spend money on legal help either.

If that doesn't work, then you might need to go to court.

If it's not affecting your revenue, pay em no mind. They're wasting their time and money.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
A lot of local news stations have "investigator" teams as a way of generating more news stories. Maybe you could have a reporter pose as a prospective client and then write a news story on how a local business resorts to bullying tactics to hurt its competitors?

Second this. Get the media involved. Let your competitor dig their own grave.

Get a lawyer to write a cease and desist letter, saying that they're slandering your name. Tell them to stop, and if it's continued, threaten them with legal action.

99.9% of the time you won't need to actually go to court to get people to stop. They don't wanna spend money on legal help either.

Also agreed. It won't take years because most businesses when faced with a legal situation understand how costly litigation is. If you make it clear they're going to lose a lot of money just in court costs they will hopefully back down.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Long time reader of the forum, you guys shared lots of valuable information here, just want to say thank you all before posting my situation.

We opened the store recently in very good location, cost us lots of money and was super hard to get.
Close to our location there are 2 stores selling similar services. And they are not happy with us opening which is understandable.

The problem is they simply bullying our salespeoples/vendors/agents. I am ok if they cut the prices, put signs everywhere - this will hurt and us and them and that's part of the game.
But what they actually do is hired 5 bullys who are all the time near our store, and as soon as our salespeoples/vendors/agents bringing customers - they jump to them with half price cards, telling our service is bad, we are scammers, etc. And now salespeoples/vendors/agents we used to work with are simply afraid to go to our store(though our location is better and service is better) - and bring customers to our competitors.

We tried to work peacefully. But it's not working.
The only way out we see is to hire same bullying team, and instruct them to ruin 10 sales for competitor store for every 1 they ruin for us.

p.s. police is saying nobody is hurt - it's your business.

I would not hire a "bully" team. Big waste of resources. They would be costing the other players money if effective, but not generating you any. You would be losing money. If you are already hurting with your overhead then you can not afford to do that. Business war is costly on both sides. If they are already bigger, and more established than you, you need to avoid that game at all cost. It sounds like they can afford to blow money, it doesn't sound like you can. Who would run out of money first?

Stop wasting your time and resources with them. It is preventing your growth, which is their goal.

Can you not place no solicitation signs out front? And when they do this videotape them?

If it was me I would be thinking major payday $$$. I'd sue the hell out of them, and then use that money to grow my business.

I'd also try acting bigger than you are. Get in touch with the other owners and make them think you can, and will sue the living s**** out of them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Long time reader of the forum, you guys shared lots of valuable information here, just want to say thank you all before posting my situation.

We opened the store recently in very good location, cost us lots of money and was super hard to get.
Close to our location there are 2 stores selling similar services. And they are not happy with us opening which is understandable.

The problem is they simply bullying our salespeoples/vendors/agents. I am ok if they cut the prices, put signs everywhere - this will hurt and us and them and that's part of the game.
But what they actually do is hired 5 bullys who are all the time near our store, and as soon as our salespeoples/vendors/agents bringing customers - they jump to them with half price cards, telling our service is bad, we are scammers, etc. And now salespeoples/vendors/agents we used to work with are simply afraid to go to our store(though our location is better and service is better) - and bring customers to our competitors.

We tried to work peacefully. But it's not working.

p.s. police is saying nobody is hurt - it's your business.
Where are you located?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Location and type of product would help with answers....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.