The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cold Calling vs Cold Emailing

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Email + follow up calls seem to have the highest success rates.

depends what you sell, but for me, it takes around 700 emails for 5 conversions without calling so... emails and follow-ups should increase it, also cold calling boosts your confidence. so win-win.
I have a pretty targeted list though, people really need the help I am providing, they just don't know it... yet.

How do you avoid being blacklisted as a spammer?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
How do you avoid being blacklisted as a spammer?
I send them by hand via email. Also highly relevant and personal stuff about their business, I am really not spamming them.

I use business g suite as well, their servers are pretty good. Using MailCheat(Chimp) or somekind of automation tool in that way might be not that good idea since a lot of people use their servers for sending newsletters and other bulk stuff.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I send them by hand via email. Also highly relevant and personal stuff about their business, I am really not spamming them.

I use business g suite as well, their servers are pretty good. Using MailCheat(Chimp) or somekind of automation tool in that way might be not that good idea since a lot of people use their servers for sending newsletters and other bulk stuff.

Thanks, I know G-suite is configured with higher priority,is my next upgrade.

Need to figure out what kind of highly relevant stuff I could deliver to people

Solid Snake

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 23, 2019
USA
Neither. Stop bothering people. Cold calls and cold emails are f---ing annoying. For every client you might get, you annoyed 19 other people. Bad karma and taking value. Use Google Ads which target people who are interested in your crap.

But if you have to do one or the other do not call me.

disagree.

outbound prospecting is as important as inbound prospecting.

fastest growing organizations do both.

i cold call once or twice a week still to keep my "skills" sharp. but i have an outbound cold email system (which im still refining) that im scaling

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Neither. Stop bothering people. Cold calls and cold emails are f---ing annoying. For every client you might get, you annoyed 19 other people. Bad karma and taking value. Use Google Ads which target people who are interested in your crap.

But if you have to do one or the other do not call me.
I also completely disagree. The businesses I approach via cold call where I talk to a live person, about 3/4 are glad to hear from me. The others say they aren't interested, and that's that. I don't call them again. ( I have thousands more I can reach out to)

But then again, I'm not pushy. I present my 10-20 second pitch, ask if its something they'd like to talk about further, and go from there. I'm respectful, kind, and usually say something that makes them laugh, brightening their day. Most often, 'now' is not a good time to talk. I'll ask when a good time to follow up would be, and then will schedule the appointment.

I've also picked my call list carefully. The businesses I approach are structurally compatible with mine. We set up referral arrangements where we both make money. Everyone is happy. If I were trying to shove ice down an Eskimo's throat, this would be a very different story.

My final thought on this is that for the business owners that hate cold calls, there are things they can do to limit them - make your extension hard to find, instruct receptionists on how to screen sales calls, etc. Beyond that? If you're offended by my cold call, that's fine. I'll move on to the next, more receptive owner. I have a business to run, a family to feed, and cold calling is the most direct and effective way I've found to create new business.

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
I also completely disagree. The businesses I approach via cold call where I talk to a live person, about 3/4 are glad to hear from me. The others say they aren't interested, and that's that. I don't call them again. ( I have thousands more I can reach out to)

But then again, I'm not pushy. I present my 10-20 second pitch, ask if its something they'd like to talk about further, and go from there. I'm respectful, kind, and usually say something that makes them laugh, brightening their day. Most often, 'now' is not a good time to talk. I'll ask when a good time to follow up would be, and then will schedule the appointment.

I've also picked my call list carefully. The businesses I approach are structurally compatible with mine. We set up referral arrangements where we both make money. Everyone is happy. If I were trying to shove ice down an Eskimo's throat, this would be a very different story.

My final thought on this is that for the business owners that hate cold calls, there are things they can do to limit them - make your extension hard to find, instruct receptionists on how to screen sales calls, etc. Beyond that? If you're offended by my cold call, that's fine. I'll move on to the next, more receptive owner. I have a business to run, a family to feed, and cold calling is the most direct and effective way I've found to create new business.
I feel the same, as I posted earlier in the thread this can and does work. We got a very large client last year that started with a cold email from my biz dev rep. That email lead to an initial call/demo, then our first deal, which then lead to 8 more large projects by year end.

As @Jon L mentioned, don't overthink it. Make sure your call and email scripts are to the point and solve their problem/needs (work on your USP which should attract interest/replies)...

pumpking