The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cold Calling vs Cold Emailing

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
When i see it from the other side:
Unknown emais I delete instantly.
To open Pdfs or similar attachment s from unknown sender I consider irresponsible.
So cold emailing is senceless towards a intelligent person I think .

When someone calls me cold, i answer, that I have no interest, because I consider cold calls as outrageous.
So, a cold caller has a very little chance to get through to me, if he has good arguments in the first half sentence he says.

So when, i would allways call!

That ar just my 2 cts towrdt cold....

Though i know it works in real world.
I hope, it helps

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Neither. Stop bothering people. Cold calls and cold emails are f---ing annoying. For every client you might get, you annoyed 19 other people. Bad karma and taking value. Use Google Ads which target people who are interested in your crap.

But if you have to do one or the other do not call me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I'm a little disappointed at some of the advice here.

Remember the Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Do you want people calling and emailing you about random widgets?

The answer is: it depends. It depends if you're likely to be interested in that product.

Use warm calling. Cold calling is a sin lol. Utilize leads. Use Data to identify who's more likely to buy your products.

Targeted ads are great. Ads have this reputation for being annoying. Not targeted ads.

For example, I got a YouTube ads for this: MasterClass Online Classes

Wow, something that was totally up my alley. They knew that by analyzing my data.

(on an related but hilarious note, as I type this there's literally an Ad trying to sell me genetically modified experiment mice... which i was potentially interested in buying for a company i work with lol)

1567206170469.png

I'm guessing they knew this because of my data

Anywho... people say they don't like companies having their data, but I totally disagree. It helps them to serve us less annoying ads and helps us discover products that might be of value. What would you rather see: a bunch of ads for tampons, or stuff you might actually buy. Companies having data helps this.

Actually I wouldn't mind someone cold calling or cold emailing me if it was something I was very possibly interested in.

So my answer? Cold calling = no. Warm calling = sure.

Remember the golden rule. Only target people who would genuinely benefit from the service you're offering. I'd use Facebook and Google ads, but whatever helps you accomplish this.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Hi guys

Been a lurker on the forum for a few weeks now, decided to get stuck in and create an account

A brief intro: I’m a 22 yo male and recently started a digital marketing agency (I know)

Thought I’d start off by trying to get everyone’s two cents on a topic

Cold Calling vs Cold Emailing

Now I’ve tried both of these marketing methods and it’s fair to say I’ve had little success with either

However

I’m wondering what your guys’ take is on them?

I’ve heard that cold calling is dead, but also heard cold calling is still one of the best sales methods

With cold emailing I’ve heard everybody ignores them, but some people have success eventually

Now I would automatically think cold emailing is a better method as you can provide something of value (pdf, free audit, video etc) but cold calling has set up more meetings for me - where I haven’t provided any value first

Just want to see your guys thoughts :)

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 4, 2019
Been doing a lot of cold emailing / calling recently as I started a freelancing business. I look at descriptions for each business and only email the ones that are applicable to my industry/service. I make sure to customize each email using their name and some comments about their business.

This has been my primary strategy to get clients, and I've had some success with it, but I know this is not the ideal way to sell my services. For me it's like throwing darts blindfolded. Every once and a while I'll get a bulls eye, but most of them don't even hit the target.

I am now in the process of setting up Google Ads and landing pages for a couple business areas that I serve. The search volume is very low, but I'm hoping I can just get 1 or 2 leads a month. As others have said, this is a great way to get leads because you KNOW the person has a need for what you're selling since they are actively searching for it.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I've done both but not a lot of experience. Either method requires that you actually have something worthwhile to the business owner or solve some business problem.

The worse that could happen is hearing "no" or being ignored. When you think about it, is this the worse thing in the world? The upside is that someone may say yes. But make sure you have a good pitch. You need to practice this.

The other thing is that you need to come across confident. If you are pitching a service but know deep down you aren't sure if you can deliver then you're going to stumble. People can sense your lack of confidence, especially if they ask questions and you start stuttering your words.

1) Find the right client (most important)
2) Have a solution you know you can provide (don't bullshit them or yourself)
3) Practice your pitch and keep making calls or sending emails

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 7, 2018
I've done all. They all work. It is just a matter of numbers. I have not and need to track my numbers. Some of my calls are cold and some are lukewarm. If I can I do all three. A phone call, text, and email. It is more time consuming but has given me the opportunity to get good at drumming up business. It seems like everybody has a different preference for communication these days. I have a friend that even goes further and will try and track people down via social media. He is doing way better than I am too.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I need to know a little more context before I answer your question

Okay, what questions do you need answered to give you context? What do you want to know?

Neither. Stop bothering people. Cold calls and cold emails are f---ing annoying. For every client you might get, you annoyed 19 other people. Bad karma and taking value. Use Google Ads which target people who are interested in your crap.

But if you have to do one or the other do not call me.

How do you do the research to determine what kind of crap, people want without cold calls or emails?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
How do you do the research to determine what kind of crap, people want without cold calls or emails?
Well for example you're trying to target businesses affected by autism. Calling up everyone in the phonebook would be a bad strategy. If you can find a way of specifically targeting those with autism that would be a better strategy.

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
When i see it from the other side:
Unknown emais I delete instantly.
To open Pdfs or similar attachment s from unknown sender I consider irresponsible.
So cold emailing is senceless towards a intelligent person I think .
Both can and do work... we did close to 100k in business last year from 1 client that started with a cold email. Key is coming across professional and crafting an email that shows how you can help solve a problem or provide value...

So to me, cold email/calling is not senseless and can lead to real $$$

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Okay, what questions do you need answered to give you context? What do you want to know?

Cold Call works in Real Estate even though you don't need experience/portfolio in the first place

It depends which industry you are, your level, kind of deal etc

Cold Calls and Cold Email work if you have work experience/portfolio in the first place

Its like - You can't withdraw money from bank account without depositing first

That's why I say get some work experience/portfolio first and then start cold call and email to pitch

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Cold Call works in Real Estate even though you don't need experience/portfolio in the first place

Good info, thanks.

That's why I say get some work experience/portfolio first and then start cold call and email to pitch

How did you get experience, when everyone requires experience?

Much simpler just to go the real estate route,perhaps sourcing properties.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Traditional cold calls/emails both suck.

A tale of two salesman:

Jim is a marketing consultant. One day Jim decides to dial my number and pitch me his services. Though I rarely answer unknown calls to my private line I decide to pick up anyways.

"Hey Dan, this is Jim over at XYZ Marketing Co. How are you doing today?"

Obviously a sales call but I listen on.

"Thats good, Dan! Hey listen, so how are you doing with your marketing?"

I'm a salesman so i have more patience for a fellow salesman than most and yet i'm already annoyed. He interrupted my family time and has done nothing that 500 other salesman before hasn't already done. This call is done.

Meet Dave.

Like Jim, Dave is also a marketing consultant; this is where the similarities end.

Dave decides to ring my phone and offer me something.

"Hey Dan, this is Dave over at ABC Consulting. I have nothing to sell you! Just wanted to very quickly let you know that I compiled a brief two page strategy guide that I know would help grow your revenue. Its yours totally free. By the way, I think you will totally love the third section of the report! Would you rather me send it by email or by regular mail?"

I tell Dave that email is fine. He thanks me and hangs up without giving me a pitch. I have never gotten anything like that before so now i'm intrigued. A minute later I get a "ding" on my phone and notice that his email just arrived. The subject line is catchy and I open it up.

At the end of the report filled with some valuable and helpful information about marketing is a CTA for a free strategy call.

Which salesman do you think will be more effective?

Any follow up calls from Jim will likely be ignored where as I'm much more willing to answer a follow up call from Dave.

Jim would likely call me back in a few days. "Hey, you ready to buy yet?"

Dave could also follow up in a few days. "Hey, just wondering if you have any questions about the strategy I sent you? Also, I have something else I think you would really like. Got a few minutes to chat?"

Again, which is more effective here?

Cold calling to sell sucks. Cold calling to give someone some really good information for free that leads to wanting to talk to you again.... that is pretty effective!

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
"Hey Dan, this is Dave over at ABC Consulting. I have nothing to sell you! Just wanted to very quickly let you know that I compiled a brief two page strategy guide that I know would help grow your revenue. Its yours totally free. By the way, I think you will totally love the third section of the report! Would you rather me send it by email or by regular mail?"

If they really had nothing to sell me , they would never have called. Nobody goes around issuing strategy guides out of the goodness of their heart(maybe because the government paid them to do it to help small business). As soon as I hear that, I am convinced I am dealing with a lying scumbag.

"Hey Dan, this is Jim over at XYZ Marketing Co. How are you doing today?"

Obviously a sales call but I listen on.

"Thats good, Dan! Hey listen, so how are you doing with your marketing?"

Dave could also follow up in a few days. "Hey, just wondering if you have any questions about the strategy I sent you? Also, I have something else I think you would really like. Got a few minutes to chat?"

Cold calling to sell sucks. Cold calling to give someone some really good information for free that leads to wanting to talk to you again.... that is pretty effective!

If it was free, then why does he want me to talk to him again? There is no such thing as a free lunch. Spending your time is a price to pay, just give me the stuff and go away or at least have the decency to be upfront about it.

Again, which is more effective here?

I have too little evidence of either side too tell, but Jim would annoy me less than Dan, although a pointless question at least he will indirectly admit to selling.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
Email + follow up calls seem to have the highest success rates.

depends what you sell, but for me, it takes around 700 emails for 5 conversions without calling so... emails and follow-ups should increase it, also cold calling boosts your confidence. so win-win.
I have a pretty targeted list though, people really need the help I am providing, they just don't know it... yet.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Good info, thanks.

How did you get experience, when everyone requires experience?

Much simpler just to go the real estate route,perhaps sourcing properties.

You gotta start somewhere.
The key is talk to everyone in your local city.
If you see a apartment,house with a name & cell phone #, call the person, talk about it and make a deal. It can be done in your free time or even after your day job or break time of your day job

Real Estate Language and Vocabulary: "Driving For Dollars"
Get some books from BAM/Barnes and Nobles about Real Estate

When you start, don't expect to make a successful immediately
It doesn't work that way

Here is the hypothetical example:
You have talked to: 100 People
People who said No: 85 People
People who said Maybe: 7 People
People who said "I will see What I can do": 5 People
People who said I think so: 3
1 Person who will say yes to the deal: 1 Person

So in between, you will accumulate work experience, knowledge, what to do, what not to do etc

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
You gotta start somewhere.
The key is talk to everyone in your local city.
If you see a apartment,house with a name & cell phone #, call the person, talk about it and make a deal. It can be done in your free time or even after your day job or break time of your day job

Real Estate Language and Vocabulary: "Driving For Dollars"
Get some books from BAM/Barnes and Nobles about Real Estate

When you start, don't expect to make a successful immediately
It doesn't work that way

Here is the hypothetical example:
You have talked to: 100 People
People who said No: 85 People
People who said Maybe: 7 People
People who said "I will see What I can do": 5 People
People who said I think so: 3
1 Person who will say yes to the deal: 1 Person

So in between, you will accumulate work experience, knowledge, what to do, what not to do etc

This of course assumes that a) the person lives in a city and b) has a day job.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
I feel like this thread has became less about cold calling vs cold emailing and a debate between a numbers game approach and focusing on advertising to a targeted demographic.

The fact is that everything works (to an extent.) Testing it out yourself will eventually lead to your own discovery for what works.

Cold calling "everyone" is time consuming.

Cold emailing can be time consuming and cost money depending on any SAAS one may use for this. (Also, if you are in Canada, you legally need consent due to Anti Spam Legislation.)

Creating online ads will cost money, but saves time.

Creating/documenting content is often time consuming, but relies less on "pushing" like an ad.

There's other methods as well, but they too will either cost time, money or both.

Also, while tracking your sales data can give you insight; data cannot predict future outcomes forever. But, I digress.

Figure out who your customer is. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you likely go about discovering that product/service? Who would you trust in this niche?

Dan_Cardone

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Depending on what you're selling and the industry you're in, something that works even better than cold calls and cold email is direct mail sent through the postal service.

Many entrepreneurs highly underestimate direct mail and think of it as "marketing of yesterday." They couldn't be more wrong.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
Depending on what you're selling and the industry you're in, something that works even better than cold calls and cold email is direct mail sent through the postal service.

Many entrepreneurs highly underestimate direct mail and think of it as "marketing of yesterday." They couldn't be more wrong.

Very true. I really enjoy the wisdom you have been dropping in this thread.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Here cold calling,cold postal letters (and cold faxes!) All come under similar legislation equivelant to can spam.

Of course emails are cheaper than calls, which is cheaper than post,which is cheaper than in-person.

@Dan_Cardone What are some good products and industries that direct mailing works with?

Dan_Cardone

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Here cold calling,cold postal letters (and cold faxes!) All come under similar legislation equivelant to can spam.

Of course emails are cheaper than calls, which is cheaper than post,which is cheaper than in-person.

@Dan_Cardone What are some good products and industries that direct mailing works with?
Almost anything with a good Customer Lifetime Value.

Everything from advertising restaurants, vacation packages, supplements, online courses, seminars, dry cleaning, consulting, etc.

Those examples are all recent direct mail campaigns ive set up for my clients.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Almost anything with a good Customer Lifetime Value.

Everything from advertising restaurants, vacation packages, supplements, online courses, seminars, dry cleaning, consulting, etc.

Those examples are all recent direct mail campaigns ive set up for my clients.
What do you think is a good lifetime value for those? $1000 to $10,000?

Dan_Cardone

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
What do you think is a good lifetime value for those? $1000 to $10,000?
It all depends. What are all the cost associated with with your product or service? How much profit are you making from each sale? How much is the direct mail campaign costing you? Subtract that from your profit.

If its profitable then go for it.

The key is small scale testing. Dont send out 100k mail peices and hope for the best. Send out 500. Then change some things and send out another 500. A/B testing essentially. When you find a winner that is profitable, scale up.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
It all depends. What are all the cost associated with with your product or service? How much profit are you making from each sale? How much is the direct mail campaign costing you? Subtract that from your profit.

If its profitable then go for it.

The key is small scale testing. Dont send out 100k mail peices and hope for the best. Send out 500. Then change some things and send out another 500. A/B testing essentially. When you find a winner that is profitable, scale up.
What do you think 3 to 5 times costs?

Walterbl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 23, 2018
How do you get the emails? Do you buy lists?

I would say email gives you a much better chance to reach a massive amount of people. You can send an email to a thousand people with one click. Good luck calling a thousand prospects.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.