The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Case Study- 7 figure success through small businesses

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
It's a good article, but I find it sad people have to be reminded of this:

To be successful in business does not mean changing the world. It means meeting a need (regardless of size) well and dependably over time.

Sell something. If it’s a product, make sure its quality, then sell it at a fair price, and make sure the breakeven point is doable for you as the business owner. If it’s a service, make sure there is added value, as in you are very good and knowledgeable in your field, and the service provided is unique, at least in your market.

That's why I dislike the word "startup." People who think about "startups" forget about the most basic truths.

You young, startup-crazy whippersnappers want something so high-profile and instantly viral. My businesses aren’t viral, but they help a specific type of person by providing a quality solution, over and over again.

@Andy Black, I can see you nodding your head in agreement.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

That's why I dislike the word "startup." People who think about "startups" forget about the most basic truths.

Yes. Great article. Thanks for the share @Ronak.

I think @MTF knows what I think before I think it now.

I am reminded of when I joined a startup and they gave me my own copy of "Viral Loop". Err... Thanks...

(Not a bad book if I recall, but seriously... why can't the product be so good people tell other people?)

While I think about it, why is "The Lean Startup" such a long book? (I couldn't get beyond 10 pages on that one. It seemed damn dry and academic. Quite odd given its message.)

Personally, I like helping smaller businesses get found by the frustrated customers searching for them. Nothing fancy, but it adds massive value to the business owners for one, and saves their customers time when finding them.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Yes. Great article. Thanks for the share @Ronak.

I think @MTF knows what I think before I think it now.

I am reminded of when I joined a startup and they gave me my own copy of "Viral Loop". Err... Thanks...

(Not a bad book if I recall, but seriously... why can't the product be so good people tell other people?)

While I think about it, why is "The Lean Startup" such a long book? (I couldn't get beyond 10 pages on that one. It seemed damn dry and academic. Quite odd given its message.)

Personally, I like helping smaller businesses get found by the frustrated customers searching for them. Nothing fancy, but it adds massive value to the business owners for one, and saves their customers time when finding them.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but this one is pretty funny too regarding the startup world:

BASECAMP VALUATION TOPS $100 BILLION AFTER BOLD VC INVESTMENT

In order to increase the value of the company, Basecamp has decided to stop generating revenue. “When it comes to valuation, making money is a real obstacle. Our profitability has been a real drag on our valuation,” said Mr. Fried. “Once you have profits, it’s impossible to just make stuff up.

Haha.

Blue1214

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
368%
Jun 26, 2014

This is the number one thing stopping anyone from starting a business.

Sick of hearing people saying "I don't have an idea" or "that business already exists".

They assume starting a successful business is all about having some revolutionary, world changing idea like facebook.

The media paints this pretty A straight to Z picture of business as a "boy comes up with brilliant idea, becomes worth 1 billion a few months later!" to the average public and they have no clue.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Didn't want to start a new thread, but this one is pretty funny too regarding the startup world:

BASECAMP VALUATION TOPS $100 BILLION AFTER BOLD VC INVESTMENT

Haha.

Loved that article. Jason Fried has some quite scathing articles about startup land. He was at the Dublin Web Summit and presented some that I've read.

Words I'm allergic to: startup, valuation, series A/B/C/D.

Any others?

Anyway, back to the OP, which is the opposite, and refreshing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stevo1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 23, 2014
Great article so simple really.

I wonder if he juggles setting up multiple businesses at once or waits until one is set up and can run without his time before moving on to the next.

I'm sure a lot of entrepreneurs myself included suffer with being able to focus on one thing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.