The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can’t decide between side hustles and a ‘real job’

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
Hi, I’m stuck in a decision choosing either the beginning of what could become the Slow Lane or a good decision. Currently I have some side hustles throughout my neighborhood typically services (House and pet sitting, Mowing and May get into pressure washing), which the jobs can be inconsistent. My current route for college is to begin education to become an Engineer I’m interested in Agriculture, Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical engineering and I’ve also taught myself how to use Java, Python, JS, HTML and plan to learn much more. My problem is that I can choose to get a job working 10 dollars an hour, which will take all my time away from improvement or Stay on the route I’m in Which is investing in myself, and being my own boss. I also have invented some useful tools that I use between my hobbies when I find a problem to enhance my skills. Would anyone be able to give me some advice as to what my plan of action could be?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Hi, I’m stuck in a decision choosing either the beginning of what could become the Slow Lane or a good decision. Currently I have some side hustles throughout my neighborhood typically services (House and pet sitting, Mowing and May get into pressure washing), which the jobs can be inconsistent. My current route for college is to begin education to become an Engineer I’m interested in Agriculture, Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical engineering and I’ve also taught myself how to use Java, Python, JS, HTML and plan to learn much more. My problem is that I can choose to get a job working 10 dollars an hour, which will take all my time away from improvement or Stay on the route I’m in Which is investing in myself, and being my own boss. I also have invented some useful tools that I use between my hobbies when I find a problem to enhance my skills. Would anyone be able to give me some advice as to what my plan of action could be?

What do YOU want to do?

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
I want to progress with my side hustles and self investment, the reason for my hesitation however is the risk of failure or lack of progress.
Now that I read through what I put on the thread I realized that’s what I should go with despite what is typical. Thank You

Noo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Apr 21, 2018
"I’m stuck in a decision choosing either the beginning of what could become the Slow Lane or a good decision."

You're afraid.
Everyone is. You're not alone.

softbench.co

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 2, 2021
Now that I read through what I put on the thread I realized that’s what I should go with despite what is typical. Thank You
You're still young...learn from your failures (and success). The worse thing is regret so go ALL-IN if you can and tweak along the way. Trust me, I've had numerous side hustles throughout my career and when I look back today, I wished I would've focused more on what I'm good at and what I'm passionate about. You can do this!

"When you fail, fail forward" - - Les Brown.

Good luck!

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
You're still young...learn from your failures (and success). The worse thing is regret so go ALL-IN if you can and tweak along the way. Trust me, I've had numerous side hustles throughout my career and when I look back today, I wished I would've focused more on what I'm good at and what I'm passionate about. You can do this!

"When you fail, fail forward" - - Les Brown.

Good luck!
Thank you, you’re completely right. I should focus more on my pros and improve my cons.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
"I’m stuck in a decision choosing either the beginning of what could become the Slow Lane or a good decision."

You're afraid.
Everyone is. You're not alone.
You‘re right, everyone is afraid I should have utilized different perspectives to properly assess my situation to accurately act. Thanks

Conquerer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 17, 2021
Your future self will be way happier with your past self to choose the self investment path. Just use the possibility of failing as motivation to never give up on yourself or what you want out of life.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
Your future self will be way happier with your past self to choose the self investment path. Just use the possibility of failing as motivation to never give up on yourself or what you want out of life.
that‘s very good advice, after all the helpful replies that is the path I will take. Thank you

B.Cotter

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Apr 23, 2020
Northern VA
$10/hr @ 40hrs/week = $400

If you only work a side hustle 5 days per week, you need to pocket $80/day after expenses. Less if you are willing to work 6-7 days per week. There are many side hustle ideas and opportunities out there that can make you $400/wk, or more.

You're at the perfect age to jump in and learn as you go. I wish I did when I was still in college, or even before.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
$10/hr @ 40hrs/week = $400

If you only work a side hustle 5 days per week, you need to pocket $80/day after expenses. Less if you are willing to work 6-7 days per week. There are many side hustle ideas and opportunities out there that can make you $400/wk, or more.

You're at the perfect age to jump in and learn as you go. I wish I did when I was still in college, or even before.
I completely agree, I’ve talked with my friends and most work only 20 hours a week due to scheduling and other external factors which means there is potential for less to be made weekly. I do believe that I could break those limits as you said by learning and taking other opportunities finding which ones work and what doesn’t. Furthermore by taking what I learn I could apply these skills and ideas which could allow me to make more and even start a business. Which could turn linear amounts of money into exponential.

I need to take the first step in this new plan and make the first dollar

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Work in the slow lane and build on the side.
It could take you 10 years to get something going, or, it could take you one year.
You don't know, so work in the meantime.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
A little bit confusing on the college part. If you are studying full time, anything other than that is a side hustle anyway?

It seems like you are choosing a part-time job vs inconsistent paid work, if I get it.

dandy2902

New Contributor
May 12, 2021
Analyze your strengths and weaknesses as well as the opportunities as well as risks of each decisions. Write it down and then, you will know what to choose.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
A little bit confusing on the college part. If you are studying full time, anything other than that is a side hustle anyway?

It seems like you are choosing a part-time job vs inconsistent paid work, if I get it.
Yeah I guess I didn’t describe it properly or made it confusing. I mentioned it about part of my schedule

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
Analyze your strengths and weaknesses as well as the opportunities as well as risks of each decisions. Write it down and then, you will know what to choose.
I absolutely agree, assessing the pros and cons and the benefits of each will allow me to positively impact my decision.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Yeah I guess I didn’t describe it properly or made it confusing. I mentioned it about part of my schedule
I just dont think 10 dollar an hour is worth the time. Unless you need cash badly

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
I just dont think 10 dollar an hour is worth the time. Unless you need cash badly
100%, unless truly needed it’s not worth the finite amount of time that you can’t receive back. I would use the job though as an educational opportunity maybe learn some things but besides that it really wouldn’t be worth it.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

(This is for people who have no idea what to do or are just starting out)

Find someone who is doing what you want to do.
Offer to work for them.
Take that job and learn everything you can from them.
Then go off and start your own (or make a deal with them when they retire, or want out, or whatever)

HOWEVER,

This way is a lot slower than the direct approach: just starting it now.

izyrion

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 24, 2020
keep ur main job, save money and invest in urself instead of overspending search up alex becker on youtube and look for his one video

Biz Models With No Risk (Best For LEAN Beginners)​

no need to just risk ur entire job lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!