The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can your IQ SCORE cap your ability ?

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
What do IQ Scores really determine ?

I recently took an IQ test online. Last month my score was 115. But today I took one and I scored a 93. I am terrible at problem solving and putting puzzles all together so this might have something to do with it.

What does IQ scores really mean in regard to your overall ability or potential?

Does a low score really put a cap on your ability to become successful in business? Also does a low IQ score mean you are not smart or does it just mean you learn at a slower pace?

If anyone has knowledge or experience on this subject I would like to hear it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
I've seen many below average intelligence business owners. A high IQ typically makes a person ask more questions, which in turn can lead to inaction. People with lower IQs don't ask those questions.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
iq is not equal to business success. I know a lot of successful business owners who have no idea if they have s corp or a c corp. there are a lot of successful people with iq's all over the map.

look at college professors. very high iq's highly intelligent. most are poor. look at Nikola testla died broke and alone. one of the smartest people who ever lived.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
When I was 13 I tested 136. Now, I'm not smart enough for this thread.

I also scored higher in my youth... those online assessments are a far cry from a real iq test guys... without being tested on a real test by a professional I wouldn't put too much faith on what the number on the screen says :)

but any test I am almost positive takes the age of the person tested into consideration and the numbers/scoring is different for the same correct answers depending on age.

if I take the test and tell it I am 14 it will tell me my iq is off the charts put in my real age and I am slightly above average.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
IQ is not a good form of measurement. It's fundamentally flawed.

If you take a test about 13th century history and fail it, are you stupid?
No, it's just that you weren't optimized for that test.

The same applies to IQ. Just because you aren't good at taking IQ tests doesn't mean you aren't smart. It's just that that is the only way that schools choose to measure intelligence. You could be a mechanic, and fail the test. Yet perhaps from a mechanic's perspective someone who can't do something as simple as change their own oil looks like a fool.

More importantly, IQ =/= drive to succeed. I knew a jackass in high school that liked to brag about his high IQ. And yet he managed to fail classes. It seems like it's become popular on the internet to say that you were always the "smart kid who was lazy". It's bullshit. If you are smart and being a lazy jackass, then in my book you are still a lazy, stupid jackass until you prove otherwise.

TL;DR- The last time I took an IQ test I scored a 125. And it doesn't mean jack shit. Ronald Reagan and JFK both had lower IQs than me. They did alright, huh?

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
I also scored higher in my youth... those online assessments are a far cry from a real iq test guys... without being tested on a real test by a professional I wouldn't put too much faith on what the number on the screen says :)

but any test I am almost positive takes the age of the person tested into consideration and the numbers/scoring is different for the same correct answers depending on age.

if I take the test and tell it I am 14 it will tell me my iq is off the charts put in my real age and I am slightly above average.

It is weird that it varies so much. Just last month I was much higher. I am just wondering what it actually means because I am well ahead of people my age in some things but behind in others.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
IQ measures one set of skills, while other tests measure other skills. I do amazing on IQ tests, because the focus is generally on visual-spatial skills (I also love anagrams). However, give me a test on how to fix a car and I'll be lucky to get one answer right.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
As I understand it, an IQ test is a metric of logic, which is only one component of overall ability and success.

There's no comparable test for resourcefulness, adaptability, creativity, strength of will, sociability, common sense, willingness to execute, self confidence, ability to create change, speed of action, recognizing opportunities, etc.

Even if there were, there are too many variables to create a standard test that combines all such things into a single score of ability.

firmwear

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 26, 2013
"IWill is more important than IQ."

If anything, intelligence is a multiplier of hard work.

But if you are not doing anything, then it does not matter how smart you are.

Be honest, did you just start this thread because you are bored?

Last edited:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
As I understand it, an IQ test is a metric of logic, which is only one component of overall ability and success.

There's no comparable test for resourcefulness, adaptability, creativity, strength of will, sociability, common sense, willingness to execute, self confidence, ability to create change, speed of action, recognizing opportunities, etc.

Even if there were, there are too many variables to create a standard test that combines all such things into a single score of ability.
that is why we homeschool. the school system is only created for academic minded people to succeed. you have to be able to memorize stuff and spit it back if it is understood or not. it doesn't teach or measure anything that truly matters. it limits many of peoples natural innate abilities and teaches people that conformity is the only way and if you aren't like everyone else there "something wrong" with you...

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I always did WONDERFULLY on tests. I can probably ace a test on HUNDREDS subjects I've never studied for just by drawing on general knowledge... but that doesn't mean anything.

Quizes, trivia, test taking, evaluations, interviews. They're skillsets all their own.
A quiz generally will test how good you are at taking quizzes.

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
I've seen many below average intelligence business owners. A high IQ typically makes a person ask more questions, which in turn can lead to inaction. People with lower IQs don't ask those questions.

I was just going to say this. Use your low IQ to your advantage!

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
IQ can be trained.
If you are familiar with the puzzle tests etc you can totally own it.

Stay away from the rubix cube maybe, but who gives a d#mn otherwise.
Plus, you got 115. Good job ;P

Cruor Vult

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Feb 18, 2014
I have met two billionaires in my life. I would estimate both as below average when it comes to IQ. One had trouble forming coherent sentences, and sometimes needed to have his grunts and incoherent mumblings translated by an assistant. It was not a medical condition. Granted, none of them were tech billionaires. But their lack of raw IQ gave them a crucial advantage, as one of them once admitted publicly: They were unable to see all the reasons why their idea would never work. So they went for it. And don't you just know it: it worked after all.

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
A lot of genius are broke and a lot of stupid people are wealthy...

It's not about the knowledge you have, it's more about what do you do with it...

Paul Mulhern

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 4, 2014
IQ is irrelevant, Richard Branson was dyslexic and in his autobio says that when he took an iq test he thinks he got zero. Now he's a self made billionaire.

In mastery by Robert Greene he says in all his years looking at successful people intelligence has little to do with it. It's down to emotional factors like passions, patience, persistence and desire.

SemiSentient

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Mar 12, 2014
Indiana
KNOWLEDGE X THE APPLICATION THEREOF = SUCCESS

Nobody gives a shit what your IQ is. They only want to know if you can SOLVE THEIR NEEDS.

Focus on acquiring more KNOWLEDGE, and taking action on how to APPLY that knowledge.

Everything else is irrelevant.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Does a low score really put a cap on your ability to become successful in business?

If you have an IQ of 25, your ability would be pretty damned capped, so the answer is obviously yes. However, that's not really what you were asking, right? Maybe better questions would be, "what's the minimum IQ you need to have a reasonable chance at being successful in business?" or "how much advantage does having a higher IQ give you?" But it's really just an academic discussion, because what's the actionable result from that conversation? Are you going to decide not to go into business because you don't think your IQ is high enough? or will you be super confident because you find that people with higher than average IQ's are somewhat more successful?

So about that academic discussion, a quick google doesn't turn up anything useful about correlating what we would call success to IQ. All of the quick hits seem to focus on average income levels, net worths, and % change of being self employed.

http://www.ncsociology.org/sociationtoday/v21/merit.htm
IQ scores only account for about 10% of the variance in income differences among individuals (Fisher et al. 1996)

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11711-smarter-people-are-no-better-off.html#.U5MjIvm1YUo
The median net worth for people with an IQ of 120 was almost $128,000 compared with $58,000 for those with an IQ of 100.
a person with a score of 130 (in the top 2%, in terms of IQ) might earn about $12,000 more per year than someone with an average IQ score of about 100.

Of course, none of that really tells us anything about entrepreneurial success. My personal thought is that so long as someone has a high enough IQ to avoid serious cognitive problems, that's all that really matters. You might have slightly better chances of success as your IQ increases, but it's not as if you can rush out and get an IQ transplant. I imagine that as your IQ increases, you also become more aware of the risks involved and become somewhat less likely to take those chances. Loss aversion is typically a stronger motivator than reward seeking, so if you're aware of more risks, then (perceived) stability wins out (on average). I would also guess that money becomes somewhat less of a motivator as your IQ increases.

So in short, the higher IQ is, the better your chances of success but the less likely you will be to spin the wheel.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Wait a second - 130 is top 2%? Wow......I wonder what percentile I fall in to then....

Last edited:

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
'Man, you've been really useful to me. Solved a problem that I've been wrestling with for years, that others have sucked at solving. However, while I appreciate that, it has come to my attention that you are a sub-par puzzle-solver. Therefore I cannot pay you for your services.'

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.