The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can you help give advice for a selfish guy like me ?

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Everyone is selfish.

Even the people who claim to be altruistic are all selfish.

It's human nature.

If you are trying to fight human nature you are destined to fail.

So F*ck it. Be selfish. Own that shit.

No one says you need to solve world hunger and donate everything to charity.

But you DO need to fill a need that the market is demanding.

When you provide a product or service the market demands, you ARE helping people by default.

So find a need. Fill it. Improve an existing business or process.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Don't confuse rational self interest economics with being selfish.
It's just semantics.

Rational self interest = selfish

The confusion is the popular misuse of the word and the media bias against success.

Selfish means to look out for ones own interests first.

Hurting others does not benefit yourself in long term and often the short term as well.

A narcissistic person is not selfish when he chooses to screw someone over.

He's a fool because he ultimately screwed himself.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Can anyone give me advice of anything (for me to improve i.e. attitude, steps to get ideas, etc.) to make this happens ?
Well customer service is provided no matter what you do. I think any of us can be selfish. Entrepreneurship is selfish to a degree. If you want to be successful in life you have to be selfish in a competitive world. It's survival of the fittest.

Now, besides being selfish, you have to take the focus off of yourself, detach from yourself, and not expect anything in return from other individuals. Self-reliance and Service to other individuals.

It's necessary to communicate and find balance in your approach. "Me" is all about you. Since most people are self-absorbed and about "Me", they see you as a waste of time if you have nothing of value to add or provide.

Example: Today I get invited to a chat group about business. The leader is away. No one knows why they are in the group chat, because the leader is off doing whatever. Now this is wasting people's time, because the leader is focused on "Me", and not giving any value. Do you think I will come to this group again? No! Would I ever hire them? No! Did I gain anything today for the last 41 minutes? No!

If you want to learn how to not be selfish, you'd have to be around tons of people and do things for other people. A Win-Win situation where there is equal balance of giving and receiving. What do you give in exchange for my attention, patience, and money.

Empathy is placing yourself in another persons shoes. What would it be like to be the grocery store clerk, the post man, the Millionaire, the Billionaire, the kid homeless on the street. Seeing from different angles, perspectives, instead of your point of view.

You can learn a lot just by observational research, watching what other individuals do. If you sit in a mall for an hour you can pick up a lot about people.

Get out of your comfort zone. Stretch your regular habits, thoughts, emotions, and feelings.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Hi all,

I've just read TMF book few month ago. Thanks MJ for your great book !

After finish reading, I think the main thing I need to overcome is I have no passion about helping anyone as MJ asks us to have it (I think I'm a self-centric guy since I was born :playful: ) but I have only one passion which is getting rich and money.

Intro
I used to sell copies of digital stuff online and get a million (1M in my country's currency, around 30,000 USD) but it's end now due to market saturation and red ocean so I stopped doing it. This period of time is like when MJ doing web designs before creating Limos.com. It's more like a job, time consuming, and not a money-making system.

However, at the time I was doing that, I have no any passion of creating products to help anyone. I just want to make money from my skills ! It's already a good market that brings tons of buyers and I'm just a normal seller in a good environment, nice buying mood.

Therefore, lots of sales comes without putting efforts on marketing. (Ah, I have to mention that I'm eager to support buyers (for my products) at first but getting bored and frustrated few months later, sorry buyers :happy:)

Obstacle
I'm thinking a lot now about finding problems to solve, finding people needs/demand for a thing that sells, finding a product that helps people (mostly online ideas, some are offline ideas) but it seems to block me, I'm stuck and lack of idea. I'm trying to think small but still nothing comes up. Therefore, I think I'm lacking of a mind of helping/improving people life.

I want to keep walking again.
The good time for my previous 1M had already ended.
I'd like to have the next life-changing like MJ creating Limos.com after doing web design gigs.

Can anyone give me advice of anything (for me to improve i.e. attitude, steps to get ideas, etc.) to make this happens ?

Any advice is really welcome. I'm selfish, but open-minded :thumbsup:

P.S. Now, I'm getting shit for a living from corporate 9-5 :bored:

Thanks

I like you, and I like your honesty; also I'm guessing you're Eastern European, maybe a former Communist country, am I right?

Anyway, that's not important, I get what you're asking; I think the best answer to your question is to stay on this forum and look at the posts, especially the ones that are asking questions or introducing themselves.

Next time you see a post from someone new who sounds a bit depressed and looking for a change, click on it and see if you can help them in some way with your words of encouragement.

It sounds like you have some skills, try and put them to use on this forum.

If you build it, they will come.

Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
How I Stopped Being A Dick. $89.95.

Make it a 2 page book and when it is opened there is a picture of a vagina. Then they turn the page and all it says is, "Ok, maybe I didn't".

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
a**hole from Metropolis of City Z.

zhack

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 6, 2017
Philippines
I actually wasted my time reading this thread. But I'll put some anyway. You say you're open-minded? I suggest going to the hospital and visit terminally-ill people or visit a homeless community and eat with them. Just do it, I can't describe the experience in words. Let us see how open minded you say you are.

azntitan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 17, 2017
NYC
I don't think you need to care about people per se. But you do have to care about providing value.

That value doesn't always need to come in the form of caring about people individually.
you can actually provide value to people, that is worth millions and billions, if you give them what they need or want.

Like, I don't care about some random people on the street. But I do care about making a difference in people's lives, and in a tangible way that is validated by money. I doubt Einstein was at the soup kitchen every weekend but he affected more lives with his theories than the soup kitchen volunteer. Facebook has touched the lives of billions, and I doubt Zuckerberg scores super high on the empathy charts. At least not more so than any of us.

If all you care about is money then you might as well just run scams, steal, cheat, lie, or marry rich.
In which case none of that shit is fastlane and probably shouldn't be here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.