The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can you help give advice for a selfish guy like me ?

OnePunchMan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 27, 2017
A Planet Earth
Hi all,

I've just read TMF book few month ago. Thanks MJ for your great book !

After finish reading, I think the main thing I need to overcome is I have no passion about helping anyone as MJ asks us to have it (I think I'm a self-centric guy since I was born :playful: ) but I have only one passion which is getting rich and money.

Intro
I used to sell copies of digital stuff online and get a million (1M in my country's currency, around 30,000 USD) but it's end now due to market saturation and red ocean so I stopped doing it. This period of time is like when MJ doing web designs before creating Limos.com. It's more like a job, time consuming, and not a money-making system.

However, at the time I was doing that, I have no any passion of creating products to help anyone. I just want to make money from my skills ! It's already a good market that brings tons of buyers and I'm just a normal seller in a good environment, nice buying mood.

Therefore, lots of sales comes without putting efforts on marketing. (Ah, I have to mention that I'm eager to support buyers (for my products) at first but getting bored and frustrated few months later, sorry buyers :happy:)

Obstacle
I'm thinking a lot now about finding problems to solve, finding people needs/demand for a thing that sells, finding a product that helps people (mostly online ideas, some are offline ideas) but it seems to block me, I'm stuck and lack of idea. I'm trying to think small but still nothing comes up. Therefore, I think I'm lacking of a mind of helping/improving people life.

I want to keep walking again.
The good time for my previous 1M had already ended.
I'd like to have the next life-changing like MJ creating Limos.com after doing web design gigs.

Can anyone give me advice of anything (for me to improve i.e. attitude, steps to get ideas, etc.) to make this happens ?

Any advice is really welcome. I'm selfish, but open-minded :thumbsup:

P.S. Now, I'm getting shit for a living from corporate 9-5 :bored:

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
I think it's important to keep in mind that in general the people who are the most rich also helped the most people. They sold the most products or services so obviously more people found their products/services useful. So it's not one or the other. If you have a product that helps a lot of people you will usually make a lot of money.

Also it's really the amount of people that your product reaches and not primarily the utility of the product. It can be just entertainment for example, which one could argue doesn't really add significant usefullness to most people's lives, but if that's what they are valuing when they make their purchase decision then you still get the sale.

The basic takeaway is, you don't need to be the most altruistic soul out there as long as you remember that correlation.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I'm a landlord. I have little passion for my tenants.

I have a passion for providing a quality rent-able product.
I have a passion for our investments being an efficient use of capital.
I have a passion for making and keeping the machine running smoothly.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Hi all,

I've just read TMF book few month ago. Thanks MJ for your great book !

After finish reading, I think the main thing I need to overcome is I have no passion about helping anyone as MJ asks us to have it (I think I'm a self-centric guy since I was born :playful: ) but I have only one passion which is getting rich and money.

Intro
I used to sell copies of digital stuff online and get a million (1M in my country's currency, around 30,000 USD) but it's end now due to market saturation and red ocean so I stopped doing it. This period of time is like when MJ doing web designs before creating Limos.com. It's more like a job, time consuming, and not a money-making system.

However, at the time I was doing that, I have no any passion of creating products to help anyone. I just want to make money from my skills ! It's already a good market that brings tons of buyers and I'm just a normal seller in a good environment, nice buying mood.

Therefore, lots of sales comes without putting efforts on marketing. (Ah, I have to mention that I'm eager to support buyers (for my products) at first but getting bored and frustrated few months later, sorry buyers :happy:)

Obstacle
I'm thinking a lot now about finding problems to solve, finding people needs/demand for a thing that sells, finding a product that helps people (mostly online ideas, some are offline ideas) but it seems to block me, I'm stuck and lack of idea. I'm trying to think small but still nothing comes up. Therefore, I think I'm lacking of a mind of helping/improving people life.

I want to keep walking again.
The good time for my previous 1M had already ended.
I'd like to have the next life-changing like MJ creating Limos.com after doing web design gigs.

Can anyone give me advice of anything (for me to improve i.e. attitude, steps to get ideas, etc.) to make this happens ?

Any advice is really welcome. I'm selfish, but open-minded :thumbsup:

P.S. Now, I'm getting shit for a living from corporate 9-5 :bored:

Thanks
Why the f*** should anyone help you?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
So you fully admit to being selfish and not giving a shit about helping people while in the same breath asking for help from others?

Think about that for a second.

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta

I love this. You can be excited about crafting a high quality product and experience without necessarily being an empath.

I don't run a business yet so take this with a grain of salt, but you need to recognize it as an area you are deficient in, and be hyper-vigilant to keep stellar customer-service people around.

Props to the OP for being brutally honest.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014

I actually recently came out with a 12 week program called "How I Stopped Being a Dick". It's available for 12 easy payments of 89.99. It's well worth your time, and the best part is: If you need after sale support you won't get it, because I'll have already moved on to the next easy money scheme.

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
I actually recently came out with a 12 week program called "How I Stopped Being a Dick". It's available for 12 easy payments of 89.99. It's well worth your time, and the best part is: If you need after sale support you won't get it, because I'll have already moved on to the next easy money scheme.
Hahaha! I think you're onto something - I actually think it would sell.

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
So you fully admit to being selfish and not giving a shit about helping people while in the same breath asking for help from others?

Think about that for a second.
That's a tall order - asking him to think. I really do think some people lack the introspection gene.

OnePunchMan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 27, 2017
A Planet Earth
Hey guys,

Before you guys are getting more high temper, I wrote the title and describe myself that way to make it clearly black and white so that it's easy to imagine and hope of getting touch the point advice!

No one is black or white, people is grey. Do you really think I'm really that selfish ? :rofl:

Why should I share my introduction background guys ?

The world is grey, having some sense of humor. :rofl:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

Stopped?

OnePunchMan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 27, 2017
A Planet Earth
I think it's important to keep in mind that in general the people who are the most rich also helped the most people. They sold the most products or services so obviously more people found their products/services useful. So it's not one or the other. If you have a product that helps a lot of people you will usually make a lot of money.

Also it's really the amount of people that your product reaches and not primarily the utility of the product. It can be just entertainment for example, which one could argue doesn't really add significant usefullness to most people's lives, but if that's what they are valuing when they make their purchase decision then you still get the sale.

The basic takeaway is, you don't need to be the most altruistic soul out there as long as you remember that correlation.

Nice and helpful comment.

Thanks

OnePunchMan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 27, 2017
A Planet Earth

Nice one though. Make me have some paradigm shift.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
You know what could have turned this whole thread around?

Instead of asking
I'm selfish. I don't want to change. How can I make money?

You could have asked:
I'm selfish. I want to change. How can be passionate for helping other people?

You can still come back. Take a moment to think and ask the right questions.

Since OP has not done it, I'm posting the question I expected while opening the thread:
I do not care about other people. What can I do to actually care?
I mean actual caring, deep down.
Feeling fulfilled when helping, not feeling used.
Helping with passion, not just helping because I read it on the internet.

Right now, helping others is not motivating me.
How can I change that?

My only idea: Help others as much as you can, provide value as much as you can - no matter how you feel. And slowly you will develop, or train, that feeling. Like a muscle.
No idea if that makes sense, but I'm still going to do it - better help someone and don't feel anything than sit on a couch and don't to anything.

Now that's a question I want to see an answer for.

Let's use this thread for something positive that actually helps peole searching for the topic.
~Ika

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
Go volunteer.

Do some social work.

Go to a hospital and make people laugh.

Realize how lucky you are.

Smile more.

Let yourself get infected by the magic.

Realize that if you don't give a f@ck about others, nobody will give a f@ck about you.

OnePunchMan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 27, 2017
A Planet Earth
You know what could have turned this whole thread around?

Instead of asking

You could have asked:

You can still come back. Take a moment to think and ask the right questions.

Since OP has not done it, I'm posting the question I expected while opening the thread:

Now that's a question I want to see an answer for.

Let's use this thread for something positive, for peole searching for the topic.
~Ika

Umm... at the end of my thread. saying "Open-minded" and "for me to improve i.e. attitude, steps to get ideas, etc." are not touching your eyes?
No one feels like my thread is pretending that I'm selfish with some funny emoticons.
Maybe, cultural difference doesn't make it work :'(

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I'm in a shit mood today, so here goes...

It amazes me how often MJ's work is used to create cognitive distortions in the realm of "all-or-nothing" thinking.

Just amazing.

Like "help people" means that you have to cure F*cking cancer or something. Or that you have to love everybody just the way they are and be super empathetic at all times.

Seriously?

I mean, unless you are a genuine psychopath, then this thread is just hyperbole and trying to disguise the typical "what should I sell?" question this forum get's A LOT.

"Help people" means to create a product or service that fills a NEED.

Why?

Because people will not buy if there is NO NEED FOR IT!

Even in the case of extreme marketing pushing a shitty product, all that happened is that people were convinced they had a NEED that they didn't really have...hence why lot's (most) of those products fail, because at the end of the day THERE IS NO NEED.

If you can't see NEED's anywhere, it's because you WON'T...not because you CAN'T.

Unless, like I said, you are a genuine psychopath that is physiologically wired to not feel empathy.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016

OnePunchMan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 27, 2017
A Planet Earth
I'm in a shit mood today, so here goes...

It amazes me how often MJ's work is used to create cognitive distortions in the realm of "all-or-nothing" thinking.

Just amazing.

Like "help people" means that you have to cure F*cking cancer or something. Or that you have to love everybody just the way they are and be super empathetic at all times.

Seriously?

I mean, unless you are a genuine psychopath, then this thread is just hyperbole and trying to disguise the typical "what should I sell?" question this forum get's A LOT.

"Help people" means to create a product or service that fills a NEED.

Why?

Because people will not buy if there is NO NEED FOR IT!

Even in the case of extreme marketing pushing a shitty product, all that happened is that people were convinced they had a NEED that they didn't really have...hence why lot's (most) of those products fail, because at the end of the day THERE IS NO NEED.

If you can't see NEED's anywhere, it's because you WON'T...not because you CAN'T.

Unless, like I said, you are a genuine psychopath that is physiologically wired to not feel empathy.

Apart from your shit mood, the content touch the point about NEED.

"If you can't see NEED's anywhere, it's because you WON'T...not because you CAN'T." :thumbsup:

Thanks

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
Umm... at the end of my thread. saying "Open-minded" and "for me to improve i.e. attitude, steps to get ideas, etc." are not touching your eyes?
Ah, I linked that to the "money making" aspect (I'm open minded on how to make money, I want to improve my making money skills, my attitude on how to make money), not to the "empathy" aspect (I'm open minded on how to be not that self centered, I want to improve my emapthy and attitude).
I'm sorry, it was an understanding issue from my side - thank you for clearing things up! :)

No one feels like my thread is pretending that I'm selfish with some funny emoticons.
Maybe, cultural difference doesn't make it work :'(
Yes, I got the feeling that you think beeing selfish is funny and a good thing - hence my negative reaction.
Maybe rewrite some of your points?

And yes, props for beeing honest with yourself and with the internet - it takes courage.

Go volunteer.
Do some social work.
Go to a hospital and make people laugh.
Realize how lucky you are.
Smile more.
Let yourself get infected by the magic.
Good points!

OnePunchMan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 27, 2017
A Planet Earth
Ah, I linked that to the "money making" aspect (I'm open minded on how to make money, I want to improve my making money skills, my attitude on how to make money), not to the "empathy" aspect (I'm open minded on how to be not that self centered, I want to improve my emapthy and attitude).
I'm sorry, it was an understanding issue from my side - thank you for clearing things up! :)

Yes, I got the feeling that you think beeing selfish is funny and a good thing - hence my negative reaction.
Maybe rewrite some of your points?

And yes, props for beeing honest with yourself and with the internet - it takes courage.

Good points!

No problem. I'm an English-as-a-second-language person. I don't get some western's jokes though.

The good thing is that people on TMF want to get rich, being business men but strongly hate people with selfish attitude of making money (I think all business men have, especially in WallStreet).
That's good and unexpected side!

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
It's not about making a buck, it's about adding value. It's not about chasing money, it's about chasing needs.

adding value + solving needs = success

chasing money + not filling needs = failure

OnePunchMan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 27, 2017
A Planet Earth
It's not about making a buck, it's about adding value. It's not about chasing money, it's about chasing needs.

adding value + solving needs = success

chasing money + not filling needs = failure

Nice and simple formula. The hardest variable in this formula is finding what are those "NEEDS".

Remind me of MJ's story about chasing a bad cat too.

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
Keep re-thinking about this nano seconds ago. This is the hardest part.
I don't see any NEED anywhere now.
I'll retry again tomorrow.
Seriously? Get your bank statements for 6 months and look at your "out" column. Those are your needs.

No more spoon feeding. Open your eyes and the first place you need to look is the mirror.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.