The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can I be Sued For Snapchat Filters?

Marketing, social media, advertising

millerad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 5, 2017
Gilbert, Arizona
To start off, I am working on building a Food Truck app. It will allow food trucks to post their current locations to the app and to their social media accounts. We have been working on it for about a month now.

Over the last couple weeks, I have been running Snapchat GeoFilters with our logos on them during Food Truck events around the Phoenix area. I emailed one of the event promoters to let them know, and to ask if we could have some sort of partnership.

She has been throwing a fit ever since, she asked me to take them down and we could work out a sponsorship deal with the promoters. (She wanted me to pay to have a spot there) Since I was paying snapchat, and completely within my bounds; I decided to keep running the filters. Last night I got an email that said that the bridge had been burned and because I asked if we could sit down and have a discussion about all of this, she said I would be hearing from her lawyers. I don't think she can sue me, but I would be lying if that didn't scare me a little bit. I'm now deciding if I should continue running the Snapchat filters, or if she can even sue me for something like this...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
I don't understand. What exactly is the issue here? You're taking pictures of food trucks at a food truck event, and making GeoFilters out of them?

Or you're promoting your own food truck?

millerad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 5, 2017
Gilbert, Arizona
I don't understand. What exactly is the issue here? You're taking pictures of food trucks at a food truck event, and making GeoFilters out of them?

No the issue is that we are paying for GeoFilters When/Where her event takes place. We are utilizing the gathering of trucks and people who like to eat at food trucks to promote our app with snapchat GeoFilters. She wants to sue us for this.

millerad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 5, 2017
Gilbert, Arizona

Snapchat geofilters like this one:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
You pay for the square foot anywhere for any time and when snapchatters slide through the filters they see this one and can use it to send a picture of a truck with our logo on it. We have been using this one at her food truck events.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
I wouldn't think you could be sued for that. But then again I am not a lawyer.

It depends on how big your balls are. You can keep going until you get a cease and desist, and then contact a lawyer. Even a C&D is sometimes just a spineless bully tactic.

LunchMoney

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Sep 6, 2017
Texas, USA
Just to note, I'm not a lawyer.
I would think the issue is if you have a food truck there but didn't pay for a spot. Or if you did and the promoter wasn't aware.

SnapChat Geo Filters are available for public purchase, with multiple buyers in one location. The promoter owns the event space, but not necessarily the social media around it.

In regards to HOW you promoted a/your truck should be thought over as well. If they feel you piggybacked their event to promote your truck...then what is the event even for?

From the limited view we have of the whole situation, if you promoted a service that paid for a spot at the event, the promoter doesn't have a foot to stand on in regards to the SnapChat filters, or in regards to your promotion via Social Media.

I hope this calms your nerves a bit.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Last I checked, you can't own cyberspace.

Also, I doubt the organize of a foodtruck rally has lawyers.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I would think that as long as your filters themselves do not have the name of the event/organizer on them then you should be fine.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I am also not a lawyer.

- This guy makes salad dressing

:rofl: - added so @Scot won't get mad.

I could be a salad dressing lawyer. You don't know my story.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.