The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Calling leads vs Texting Leads?

Text leads for initial contact or Call them

• Text

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Call

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

Joe2213

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 17, 2018
I just started calling a lead list I purchased a few days ago, it's a list of people that REQUESTED information. I've mainly got voicemails which made me start thinking about the new way we communicate as humans. (Most people text, even my grandma texts me vs calling!)

I'm going to start experimenting and calling 50% and texting 50% to see which starts getting better results. I'm just curious what you have had better results with.

Would you say Cold Calling is dead? Is the best way to make the first contact via text? My thought is 95%+ of people would see the text, so they could determine if it's worth their time to respond or not, if I'm just leaving voicemails, most people don't even listen to them and if they do it's an inconvenience and the second they notice they don't know you they delete it.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
cold calling is NOT nor will ever be dead. It is quintessential in many industries still. Texting is a no go its just not professional. Unless you are running some kind of vice trade.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Call them.

Last edited:

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
A) If they requested information you aren’t cold calling them.

B) Why does it have to be one or the other? Call them, if they don’t answer, text them, if they don’t respond, call them again.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
A Room Full of Opportunity (Follow up on the darn leads!)

Relevant ^^^

My opinion:

The first contact should always be a call, even if that leads to a voicemail.

Then text *IF* (it's a big if), it is appropriate to do so AND it is a topic that there is no way can be misunderstood.

According to UCLA the words we use only account for 7% of the actual communication. To me that means that 93% of my message is not conveyed through texting. (also means that even calling is not ideal, as body language is not seen)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I bet you wanted us to say texting huh?

This is an action fake trying to get out of the actual work at hand: Calling your leads.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Both. Send a text that says who you are and why you called. Say when you'll call back. I do it all the time. Most of the people I call have their phones blowing up 24/7. Zero chance they answer the phone. 5% chance they listen to my voicemail. When they know why I'm calling, they're more likely to answer. Some call me back right after they see the text.

You're not going to get out of talking to them on the phone, but depending on the industry, text can work.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I can't think of an industry where making initial contact via text is better than calling.

Is it even legal to text a lead? In the USA they generally have to opt-in to receive an automated text, not sure on a manual sales text though.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I'd send a hologram

star-wars-hologram.jpg

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Not exactly as you are talking about but for my personal business, I only take texts. If someone calls me, my recording says, "Text me please. Thank you". As far as I can tell, about 90%+ of real people that call and get the answering machine, send me a text. Let's face it, I'm getting old and I have no desire to talk to Mable because her washer quit working. If she texts me I can tell her I don't work on washing machines. If I answer the phone, I have to listen to her old a$$ for 15 minutes about how she has no money and no one to help her so I'd end up going over there for free and probably giving her a new washer for free. So texts are easier. lol But they aren't for everyone.

I once knew a guy that made a very nice living being a salesman. I heard him doing cold calls one day and it went like something this when they didn't answer, "Hi, this is Jenny, I think you can help me... give me a call back at 867-5309". Or, change it up.... This is Jenny! I hear you sell fork lifts, can you give me a call back please? I'd like to speak with you. 867-5309. If you are not having any luck with them calling you back, get creative. Hi, is this Joe as in the Joe that is in charge of the book store? If it is, can you give me a call back at 867-5309, this is Jenny. Be in a cheery mood no matter if you are feeling cheery or not. Take a shot of whiskey, loosen up. Have happy things happening in the room you are in. If you like sports, have it on and muted just to give the room a little life. Don't sound blue & gloomy. dontleaveamessgethatisboringbecausenoonewillevercallbackifitsoundslikethistothem. Damn, that was hard to type without putting a space in between each word. lol

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Being Deaf and having a barrier with calling. I had a valid reason for selling through texting, I'll say i maybe got 2 sales through texting. Still sucks compared to cold calling with a relay interpreter...

Stick with cold calling

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
If you choose to sell text, don't make the 1st text a sales text.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.