• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Calling leads vs Texting Leads?

Discussion in 'Ideas, Needs, Concept Feedback' started by Joe2213, Sep 17, 2018.

Text leads for initial contact or Call them

1. Text

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Call

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. Joe2213

Joe2213 PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $2
    I just started calling a lead list I purchased a few days ago, it's a list of people that REQUESTED information. I've mainly got voicemails which made me start thinking about the new way we communicate as humans. (Most people text, even my grandma texts me vs calling!)

I'm going to start experimenting and calling 50% and texting 50% to see which starts getting better results. I'm just curious what you have had better results with.

Would you say Cold Calling is dead? Is the best way to make the first contact via text? My thought is 95%+ of people would see the text, so they could determine if it's worth their time to respond or not, if I'm just leaving voicemails, most people don't even listen to them and if they do it's an inconvenience and the second they notice they don't know you they delete it.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

2. Arun Siva

Arun Siva aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $13,709
    cold calling is NOT nor will ever be dead. It is quintessential in many industries still. Texting is a no go its just not professional. Unless you are running some kind of vice trade.

YoungPadawan likes this.
  3. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $686
    Call them.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  4. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 There is no opportunity in comfort Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $900
    A) If they requested information you aren’t cold calling them.

B) Why does it have to be one or the other? Call them, if they don’t answer, text them, if they don’t respond, call them again.

Formless likes this.
  5. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $39,553
    A Room Full of Opportunity (Follow up on the darn leads!)

Relevant ^^^

My opinion:

The first contact should always be a call, even if that leads to a voicemail.

Then text *IF* (it's a big if), it is appropriate to do so AND it is a topic that there is no way can be misunderstood.

According to UCLA the words we use only account for 7% of the actual communication. To me that means that 93% of my message is not conveyed through texting. (also means that even calling is not ideal, as body language is not seen)

6. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $30,225
    I bet you wanted us to say texting huh?

This is an action fake trying to get out of the actual work at hand: Calling your leads.

7. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,592
    Option 3: In person meeting.

Arun Siva likes this.
  8. Timmy C

Timmy C I Will Not Stop! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,244
    Call them! How is this even a question.

9. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $14,548
    Both. Send a text that says who you are and why you called. Say when you'll call back. I do it all the time. Most of the people I call have their phones blowing up 24/7. Zero chance they answer the phone. 5% chance they listen to my voicemail. When they know why I'm calling, they're more likely to answer. Some call me back right after they see the text.

You're not going to get out of talking to them on the phone, but depending on the industry, text can work.

10. SquatchMan

SquatchMan Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,940
    I can't think of an industry where making initial contact via text is better than calling.

Is it even legal to text a lead? In the USA they generally have to opt-in to receive an automated text, not sure on a manual sales text though.

11. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,712
    I'd send a hologram

[​IMG]

ApparentHorizon likes this.
  12. minivanman

minivanman Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,898
    Not exactly as you are talking about but for my personal business, I only take texts. If someone calls me, my recording says, "Text me please. Thank you". As far as I can tell, about 90%+ of real people that call and get the answering machine, send me a text. Let's face it, I'm getting old and I have no desire to talk to Mable because her washer quit working. If she texts me I can tell her I don't work on washing machines. If I answer the phone, I have to listen to her old a$$ for 15 minutes about how she has no money and no one to help her so I'd end up going over there for free and probably giving her a new washer for free. So texts are easier. lol But they aren't for everyone.

I once knew a guy that made a very nice living being a salesman. I heard him doing cold calls one day and it went like something this when they didn't answer, "Hi, this is Jenny, I think you can help me... give me a call back at 867-5309". Or, change it up.... This is Jenny! I hear you sell fork lifts, can you give me a call back please? I'd like to speak with you. 867-5309. If you are not having any luck with them calling you back, get creative. Hi, is this Joe as in the Joe that is in charge of the book store? If it is, can you give me a call back at 867-5309, this is Jenny. Be in a cheery mood no matter if you are feeling cheery or not. Take a shot of whiskey, loosen up. Have happy things happening in the room you are in. If you like sports, have it on and muted just to give the room a little life. Don't sound blue & gloomy. dontleaveamessgethatisboringbecausenoonewillevercallbackifitsoundslikethistothem. Damn, that was hard to type without putting a space in between each word. lol

ApparentHorizon likes this.
  13. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,592
    You jest, but video is another method most people don't expect. So they're more willing to open it.

minivanman likes this.
  14. jpanarra

jpanarra Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $16,821
    Being Deaf and having a barrier with calling. I had a valid reason for selling through texting, I'll say i maybe got 2 sales through texting. Still sucks compared to cold calling with a relay interpreter...

Stick with cold calling

15. minivanman

minivanman Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,898
    If you choose to sell text, don't make the 1st text a sales text.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.