The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buying a domain that is already registered...

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
You know how it goes...you check on a domain you want to buy and it's already registered. But it's not being used for anything. How do I buy it? I followed a link where I can make a bid on it, but submitting a bid requires that I fill out all this personal information including phone number, home address, etc, and I have to agree to a TOS that says in no uncertain terms that my info will most likely be sold all over the place. What's UP? There's gotta be a straight up way to do it. Maybe not?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
I'm not sure I really understand.

Was this a form at a registrar?
Or on the domain's website?
Is the domain parked? Is it parked
with a company for the purpose
of solicitng offers? Can you tell?

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Yeah after typing this thread I thought of just looking up the registrar and inquiring directly on the phone. Don't know why I didn't think of that before. After I was turned down at registering it for myself, I visited the page directly, and it was just one of those generic pages with search topics. There was a link that said "This domain is already registered. If you'd like to buy it, click here." This led to a page where I can make a bid to purchase it, but you have to agree to terms of submission, which like I said before were very clear that they were going to sell my contact information to anyone they saw fit.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
The domain registration is private. I just looked.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have tried the same thing on one of the biggest domain company. Go.... whatever.

I searched an SEO friendly domain name, which is available. I did not buy it. The next day, I searched it again. It's bought by unknown person.

It says that I can back order that with all my information. I fill in with my private mail box at PostNet, which I just rented and never used. Few days later, I got a letter about buying SSL, E-Mail Newletter services, Internet Marketing and other web hosting related junkies from a company I have never heard of.

I also check the domain that I was interested. The price went up to $180.

Now I read news about how those company rip their customer off by making those domain unavailable. So you have to buy at higher price.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
The domain registration is private. I just looked.

I know with my 1and1 private registrations if there is an email sent to the one provided on the whois, they will forward it to me. You might want to try that or call the company and see what your options are.

I have tried the same thing on one of the biggest domain company. Go.... whatever.

I searched an SEO friendly domain name, which is available. I did not buy it. The next day, I searched it again. It's bought by unknown person.

It says that I can back order that with all my information. I fill in with my private mail box at PostNet, which I just rented and never used. Few days later, I got a letter about buying SSL, E-Mail Newletter services, Internet Marketing and other web hosting related junkies from a company I have never heard of.

Now I read news about how those company rip their customer off by making those domain unavailable. So you have to buy at higher price.

This is why you should just buy the domain names that you search, its 7-8 dollars even if you turn out to not needed it you can sell it to get your money back if anything very quickly.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada

Here's a trick for you...

When you do this, the company who has registered the domain you searched for, is just "tasting" it to see if it has any traffic.

So if you go there after you search for it and find it registered: DO NOT VISIT THAT PAGE AGAIN. AND ESPECIALLY DO NOT CLICK ON THE ADS.

99% of the time, the domain name will not get enough traffic for this company to hold on to it, and after 5 days the domain will come available again.

This trick has worked many times for me.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space

When you do this, the company who has registered the domain you searched for, is just "tasting" it to see if it has any traffic.

So if you go there after you search for it and find it registered: DO NOT VISIT THAT PAGE AGAIN. AND ESPECIALLY DO NOT CLICK ON THE ADS.

99% of the time, the domain name will not get enough traffic for this company to hold on to it, and after 5 days the domain will come available again.

That's an interesting concept I haven't heard of before. Thanks for sharing.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space

Yeah I've heard this from enough people that I believe it's probably true. If you're gonna search a domain, just buy it if it's available. They only cost a few bucks. If you go back later, it will be registered. I've heard this over and over again.

John

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 18, 2007

Excellent advice. Rep++.

I'd also add that you SHOULD NOT contact the company who registered it to ask about buying, as this results in them asking for an exorbitant price and holding the domain for several years hoping that you'll eventually break down and pay it. This trick is to show no interest in the domain. Don't ask about it, don't visit it, don't check the whois or availability for a full 7-10 days. Then try registering it again. This has worked for me many times as well. They usually drop it within 5-7 days.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
One of my blog friends actually started a new type of business called Flip Site. It may not be new, but it's a trend now.

They buy every high demand domains, add content, SEO, get google page ranking and flip over for high $$$.

For each site they flip over, they can make from $4000 profit or more. Some of them were sold $50K in 3 months.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA

Hahaha.. good one, Terence: "Go.. whatever"

Go..whatever and I are growing apart.
I'm about to start moving out.

DylanO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 4, 2008
From my experience, don't fall in love with the domain. If you want to pay less, be prepared to negotiate for some time - buyers have a firm number in their minds, but if they've had the domain for a long time, they will ultimately agree to a lower number. But you do need to be patient.

And if that fails, spend the time trying to find a new domain that hasn't been registered yet. They are out there!

Dylan

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.