The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buying a domain name from go-daddy

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
Is this a good place to buy a domain name from. I am about to register my first domain and I just ran into a small issue. Right before purchase I came into a policy protection plan offer. When registering should you even bother with that or is it all upselling by the company?

I'm starting my first online business and I am taking the first step after reading the fast lane. I feel I have alot to learn in this process but thank god this forum exist.

The book + the community has helped big time. Whenever I have a question I always know where I can get the help needed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

botnickguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 20, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Just about every domain service I've seen likes to screw people over either with the initial cost & "fees" or with renewals that are batshit crazy and unpredictable.

Google, on the other hand, has provided me a multitude of domain names for $10 or $12 a year, and renewal is $10 or $12 a year. Supersimple, trustworthy, the CHEAPEST, and they also offer free WHOIS protection if you don't want your address and name on the domain.

Register a domain and get business applications included ? Google Apps

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Ive bought many domains from godaddy and havent seen the "policy protection plan" you are referring to.

They offer privacy which will just prevent people from seeing your name, phone number, address etc from your website WHOIS

Depending on the site and your plans with it this may be a good thing for you to purchase.

Also Google godaddy coupons and you can probably find an applicable one to save a few bucks on your purchase

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
I used to hear bad things about Godaddy but continued to use them anyway because I'd never had any real problems.

Then just recently they decided to block me from my account and repossesed a recently acquired domain!

Needless to say I shall let my remaining domains expire and never use their service again.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Don't ever search for a domain name off them then not buy it. I've heard PLENTY of stories of domains getting snatched up the next day like this, then being charged a premium to buy it off the new owner. This has happened with peoples full names .etc as the domain name, definitely not coincidence.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Are you talking about Private WhoIs?

I'd buy that if I were you - unless you want people seeing that you own the domain.

You get that option for free if you buy through namecheap.com

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
If you don't have a host yet, I would take a look at webhostinghub.com. I've used them for my hosting and domain names and I've had absolutely no problems. I believe you still get your domain name for free when you get a hosting plan with it.

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
Godaddy gets you on the renewals. Namecheap is cheap upfront and they haven't jacked the renewals yet either. Internet.bs used to be cheap too but they stopped taking PayPal. I've been pretty happy with namecheap and there is always a monthly coupon code.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Don't use GoDaddy. You have to play hide and seek on every page of their checkout because they try and upsell you on a bunch of BS. If you're not careful you'll accidentally forget to un-check a box and you're out $59.95.

I will be using NameCheap for everything from now on. Only other domain registrar I would consider is Gandi. Never used them but I always hear great things about them. And I love their slogan- "no bullshit". It's simple, and a policy all companies should follow. They may get my money from that tag line alone!.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012