The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A domain I registered in 2006 just sold for US$89,500!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

stantechie

It’s never too late to hit the fast lane!
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 6, 2020
Vancouver
In these uncertain times I just wanted to share my excitement with you all.

I have to say the catalyst for this outcome is partially due to me following a thread a while back here:

It's a good read if you haven't yet.

Shortly after that, someone sought me out and offered $250 for a domain I had recently registered. I didn't have any immediate plans for it and felt I had better domains for the purpose anyway. So I sold it, my first time selling a domain name (that was in June). That deal was a bit long and ran into issues with registrars and getting the transfer done (took a couple hours conferenced with buyer and both registrars).

The deal got me thinking...I have about 90 domain names I've been holding for a long time, and a quick google search later I found a place I could list them on that takes a commission and handles the escrow, payout, transfer etc. Rather than re-invent the wheel, I figured 8% commission would be worth it and also add some legitimacy to future deals.

I listed about half of my domains on here, along with the one that recently sold. I listed it for $89,500 because I figured I would be ecstatic if it sold for that, and figured 100K or higher might not look as enticing. I have to admit the thread above had me thinking it's worth 100K. It's a long two word domain, but the two words together spell something really special.

So at 5:17am this morning this deal comes through and is waiting on my e-mail when I wake up. Absolute shock!

The domain is already transferred and the funds are waiting to be wired, so I have to go deal with that now.

I'm just rather amazed this has happened. A few hours of changing DNS and listing domains and setting some prices, then a month or so later the big one sells.

I have to figure out the tax implications of this, as it will change my tax bracket so probably 30-40% will go to the wonderful tax people.

At least that pays off my debts and gives me room to really put some push behind my ideas I'm implementing. I have to admit, I've had a tendency to spend beyond my means in the past. But this feels really strange as now that a large number has come in, I don't want to spend it, unless it's going to lead to more business potential. It's a sign of freedom to try some things so I don't have to be an aspiring entrepreneur, I can just be an entrepreneur. It's really empowering.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Congrats! That is a big win. I am glad something good came out of that thread, as my deal ended up falling through recently.

Would you mind sharing the website you listed them on?

stantechie

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 6, 2020
Vancouver
Congrats! That is a big win. I am glad something good came out of that thread, as my deal ended up falling through recently.

Would you mind sharing the website you listed them on?
Sorry to hear that. I thought it had already been a done deal?

I ended up going with Dan.com. Seems like things went through fairly quick as they already have the funds somehow and it’s just a matter of figuring out how to wire it to my bank in Canada.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Sorry to hear that. I thought it had already been a done deal?

I ended up going with Dan.com. Seems like things went through fairly quick as they already have the funds somehow and it’s just a matter of figuring out how to wire it to my bank in Canada.
They signed a purchase agreement but after months of empty promises they never ended up paying, and Godaddy basically said they can't do anything about it.

I'll have to check out Dan.com, as I have some other domains I'd like to sell as well.

stantechie

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 6, 2020
Vancouver
They signed a purchase agreement but after months of empty promises they never ended up paying, and Godaddy basically said they can't do anything about it.

I'll have to check out Dan.com, as I have some other domains I'd like to sell as well.
That's too bad about GoDaddy. I've never been that impressed with them right from the beginning.

They have been just ok to deal with from a small consumer perspective (a few domains here and there).

It seems they really dropped the ball on your deal if they didn't even get the funds upfront. That allows the seller to back out and that's not at all right.

The reason I say they are just ok is for small changes that require me to call in they were always available. But I never got the warm fuzzies from their constant up-sells. When you go to buy one thing they want to sell you all these other things to go with it, page after page (are you sure you don't want feature X with your product Y?). No thanks, I already do my own hosting, can I just get a domain and do my own thing?

I use their domain back-order service as a cheap way to snag expiring domains, but it only works if it's a low interest domain, since the big players in the expiring domain market invest a lot more infrastructure and you have to pay if it's a sought-after domain.

Also just a correction on Dan.com, it seems it's a 9% commission. I did the math on my transaction and they do it in two steps, 1% off the top and then 8%, which totals 9%...kinda weird way of doing it, but it does state 9% in their FAQ.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Hey man not bad :) I'm very familiar with this type of stuff. I've dabbled with a few domains but I buy a lot of original usernames on social media platforms and sell for similar reasons for businesses/influencers and for better engagement when growing pages.

Don't fall for any scams. Triple check everything in the process of selling. Good stuff

stantechie

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 6, 2020
Vancouver
I forgot to update this thread and say the deal was legitimate. It took a few weeks for the wire transfer to come through. The first info my bank told me to supply didn't work. Then the second time around since I'm in Canada the bank waited to convert USD to CAD and had it sitting in their account until I contacted my branch manager.

I'm interested to see if this ends up being a viable business avenue. I've grown my portfolio of for sale domains to 120 now including some I think may be high value. Domaining is an industry where timing and patience seems to be how it goes. Wait, and then wait some more until the right buyer types in the name and decides it's worth buying.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I forgot to update this thread and say the deal was legitimate. It took a few weeks for the wire transfer to come through. The first info my bank told me to supply didn't work. Then the second time around since I'm in Canada the bank waited to convert USD to CAD and had it sitting in their account until I contacted my branch manager.

I'm interested to see if this ends up being a viable business avenue. I've grown my portfolio of for sale domains to 120 now including some I think may be high value. Domaining is an industry where timing and patience seems to be how it goes. Wait, and then wait some more until the right buyer types in the name and decides it's worth buying.

Very nice!

Are you targetting newer words that might now be popular or more "timeless" words that should always be in demand?

I just got a great domain yesterday that I was surprised was available. I did pay 1k on it for GoDaddy (it said "premier domains") but it was still a great buy. I was tempted to get some more - seems like a cool business.

stantechie

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 6, 2020
Vancouver
Very nice!

Are you targetting newer words that might now be popular or more "timeless" words that should always be in demand?

I just got a great domain yesterday that I was surprised was available. I did pay 1k on it for GoDaddy (it said "premier domains") but it was still a great buy. I was tempted to get some more - seems like a cool business.

I’m doing a lot of SaaS and newer sounding domains combining words that would be good for anything from identity verification to sales. Mostly .com that haven’t been registered before or have dropped recently or gone up for auction due to expiring.
Finally dipped my toes into a more pricey cc-tld that was up for auction that I think has been undervalued.
Also found a few good tools for dictionary words and the odd .com is still out there for grabs due to expiring or never being purchased in a certain form.
I’m probably going to ease off a bit until the new year and just see if anything more sells in the meantime, as it costs every year to keep these names going. Probably have my prices a bit on the high side, but if a company wants the kind of punch the names have, I’m hopeful they’ll bite. Better to sell 2-3 names a year at a high yield than 20 small price ones.
GoDaddy auctions are a bit all over the place. Hopefully the one you bought goes through. Tried buying a handful there and one got returned to the original owner because it was only for auction assuming they failed to renew it. Gotta be careful about those ones.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.