The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Ideas for the (emerging) stay-at-home Economy?

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013
How about a dating service ONLY for people who tested positive to coronavirus?

It could go viral! ;)
That’s if they’re still alive though!

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO
Build an app to trace potential covid patients. In Singapore the government pushed an app to trace possible patients using just bluetooth. Just keep the app running in the background and turn on your bluetooth and go a out your daily life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
Folks, I want to give you another idea. We need to reinvent the desk chairs for remote workers such as developers. Those ergonomic chairs are expensive and not very comfortable. I was thinking about an comfortable armchair with some sort of computer table attached to it. In this way you can stay in a comfortable position between a bed and a sofa and still focused on your work.
I spend waaay too much time in my office chair, and I wanted something to give my butt a break. I built a rack out of 2x2s to hold my monitor up in the air over my recliner (facing down at the chair), and I dug up an old ergonomic keyboard that split into two pieces so I could have one half-keyboard on each chair arm. Add a touchpad and shazam! You have a reclining workstation for almost nothing. Very little stress on your body. Unfortunately I'm quite tall so the recliner didn't fit me well and I couldn't stay in it more than an hour or so, but it was a sound idea. It would work a lot better if the monitor rack pivoted with the chair so you could recline at different angles. Maybe an idea for somebody looking at building ergo desks and whatnot...

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City

ricardo.chung5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
600%
Feb 6, 2016
Yes! Valve (the video game company) just released a VR title, and I know that thousands of people have bought a VR headset for it. Those people had the money for a VR headset, and they definitely want to make use of it. Same goes for the other thousands of people who already owned one.

It doesn't have to be videogame related, although I personally think that's the easiest market to get into for VR.

VR streaming classes could also be a good idea. Depending on how long school is out, could be an option for teachers to have the same kinda effect without being there. VR is not a staple in every household right now but could be an option in the future

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I spend waaay too much time in my office chair, and I wanted something to give my butt a break. I built a rack out of 2x2s to hold my monitor up in the air over my recliner (facing down at the chair), and I dug up an old ergonomic keyboard that split into two pieces so I could have one half-keyboard on each chair arm. Add a touchpad and shazam! You have a reclining workstation for almost nothing. Very little stress on your body. Unfortunately I'm quite tall so the recliner didn't fit me well and I couldn't stay in it more than an hour or so, but it was a sound idea. It would work a lot better if the monitor rack pivoted with the chair so you could recline at different angles. Maybe an idea for somebody looking at building ergo desks and whatnot...

I've often wondered why they don't make office chairs from minivan seats. To be honest, with all the people I know that weld and make stuff, I've often wondered why I haven't had one made for myself...... as my @ss is hurting while I type this.... I'll be texting my friend Gary tomorrow, I should have done this years ago!

Or, how about an interchangeable butt part on an office chair? Some days you may want a firm one or a soft one or even make one that is kind of like a donut except it is only felt and not seen (some people don't use donuts because they don't want others to see it) for people that need that sort of thing. You could even make one that has a warmer in it for the winter and make one with a cooler in it for the warmer months. No..... no one needs to make one that vibrates. We do not need Alice sitting at her desk through lunch with a smile on her face and then sleeping all afternoon :cool:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Found this YouTube video that explains the brutally HONEST truth about making money and a living online or starting a business online that most people don't want to hear:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUFO2dS3plA
Are you a spammer? Going through your posts, you post like 70% legitimate replies, 30% sketchy links

I almost feel like you're a victim of these sketchy videos and you're just reposting them thinking they're enlightened,

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I just had a Facebook messenger chat with my mums cleaner. (Isn’t that amazing in itself? Messaging someone in another country via a device in my hand...)

Anyway, the cleaner's been in for 20 mins to change my mum's bed covers, unblock the shower plug hole (it can get dangerously slippy otherwise), and do a quick vacuum. My mum was in another room. The cleaner wore gloves and disinfected surfaces as she went. Granted she didn’t wear a mask because it’s not the culture in the UK to wear masks (yet?).

I’m wondering how many old or vulnerable people who are self-isolated / cacooned will need a quick visit by a professional cleaner to keep their home safe and clean?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Correction, you have to have SEED capital to pay for a domain name, web hosting, autoresponder and a link tracking service at least. True, you can help someone but only if you are skilled, most beginners are not skilled enough to do that in the beginning. That is the problem. But, they need to be told that there is no push button, do no work thing that will make them millionaires. That is the lie being perpetuated. It takes work, skill, and effort just like in the real world!
That sounds like a limiting belief.

I’m not getting into this. These might help:

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Are you a spammer? Going through your posts, you post like 70% legitimate replies, 30% sketchy links

I almost feel like you're a victim of these sketchy videos and you're just reposting them thinking they're enlightened,

Yes there is definitely a method called Forum Marketing...but if you have a hit it and quit it, get the boot, move on mentality why bother.

There are threads here at fastlane better than most high priced Products for sale.

Comments are great I have my share :) Contributing...100x better.

If a person does not realize they are not just on another forum for their own motives they are missing all that heavenly glory as someone we all know would say....

Last edited:

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
I've often wondered why they don't make office chairs from minivan seats. To be honest, with all the people I know that weld and make stuff, I've often wondered why I haven't had one made for myself...... as my @ss is hurting while I type this.... I'll be texting my friend Gary tomorrow, I should have done this years ago!

Or, how about an interchangeable butt part on an office chair? Some days you may want a firm one or a soft one or even make one that is kind of like a donut except it is only felt and not seen (some people don't use donuts because they don't want others to see it) for people that need that sort of thing. You could even make one that has a warmer in it for the winter and make one with a cooler in it for the warmer months. No..... no one needs to make one that vibrates. We do not need Alice sitting at her desk through lunch with a smile on her face and then sleeping all afternoon :cool:
I dunno, sounds like you want your happy ending while denying Alice hers!

I agree. For the larger person there are very few comfortable seats. I'll not buy a car whose seats try to hug my posterior in an uncomfortable manner (I'm looking at you 2001 Kia Spectra!)
Yes, minivan, or SUV seats for the office! With the foot rest and the happy ending, thank-you!

Kia Seat:Note the harder edges and the deeper part of the seat. that lower part is at best 13" so my lardiness backside would get the cheek bones placed in the groove somewhat while the seat belt receiver is wedged against the console on one side. The door handle, meanwhile is introducing itself to your leg like a horny Great Dane. After more than an hour, I'd have to stop to allow my body to resume its normal shape. I don't know how those corsetted women did it back in the day!

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
Unfortunately I know nobody who can really predict the future, but we can read data and make our conclusions, just like when some of us here prepared for this emergency and successfully avoided some of the madness.

So, here are my predictions for the post-lock-down:

1. Increased unemployment. Several small businesses will not reopen, many large businesses have already cut their workers and will be slow to take them back --> huge need for employment services and education.

2. Travelling will be more difficult (and possibly more expensive) I don't see people getting on a cruise ship very soon. --> Drop in demand for airbnb like businesses --> Drop in real estate prices especially in very touristic areas. Rise in prices for airplanes (with fewer choices).

3. Social distance will be an issue for some time: restaurants, theatres, cinemas, bars will have to take reduce numbers. Increased prices? Netflix, Amazon etc are the big winners here.

4. The production and logistics chain has suffered a lot. Some items, mainly non essential, will be more difficult to find, and probably more expensive, especially those made in China or coming from far away.
5. Smart working has already become a fact. It's more efficient and cheaper that the workplace. --> Companies will save a ton of money on travel expenses and real estate. Commercial real estate will drop. Zoom, Teams etc are the winners here.

6. Related to the previous point, schools were the first places to close, and they had to adapt to distance learning. Some of that is here to stay. Huge need of services for stay at home mums and dads. Huge need for distance learning services.

7. In this emergency, local works better than global. Maybe some small localised commerce will come back (but this is the weakest point of the list).

Bonus prediction 8. There will be a toilet paper crisis. People bought so much that they won't need any for a very long time.

Ubu-Roi in Nostradamus version

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Interisting wright up!
In Germany we had a employee s market for decades with little to no real unemployment. Maybe that changes, rises a bit the level of unemployment. Work get cheaper. Local gets more rewarding.
maybe

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Is this a way I can hire a beefier virtual machine to process videos?

My PC is good enough for some hardcore Excel, and some light video editing. I don’t want to spend money on more hardware if I want to process videos faster. How do I access better computing power?
You can use an AWS EC2 instance and rent out a powerhouse of a machine if you want.

You'd need to write the scripts to convert the video and shoot them into an S3 bucket. And the more expensive the machine, the more expensive the charges. You pay by the minute.

But it's definitely possible.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
People can think about the long-term impact this will have and innovations that will be popular in a more germ-conscious world. Example:

Even better... doors that open via foot-pedal. People are going to be very conscious of touching door knobs going forward, and something like this would likely flourish.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
i'm thinking of how society will change due to all this... knowing that can help you plan businesses around that

i think some of the changes will be:

people working from home, people more conscious of germs, potential dismantling of the chinese communist regime, calculating the risk for various pandemics/catastrophes, greater trust in experts, more delivery services, closing of commercial real estate

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
i'm thinking of how society will change due to all this... knowing that can help you plan businesses around that

i think some of the changes will be:

people working from home, people more conscious of germs, potential dismantling of the chinese communist regime, calculating the risk for various pandemics/catastrophes, greater trust in experts, more delivery services, closing of commercial real estate
Lots of Commercial Real Estate here in KC has already been converted to condos and apartments. I think some more spacious loft/apartments with ways to isolate yourself to work and also ways to work and be with/watch the family.

Personal gyms? Gyms were somewhat skeevy even before the disease.

We still want/need to congregate. More of the luxury suite concept? Dress up in Burqas?

Super secure comms. Maybe space age phone booths?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I just had a Facebook messenger chat with my mums cleaner. (Isn’t that amazing in itself? Messaging someone in another country via a device in my hand...)

Anyway, the cleaner's been in for 20 mins to change my mum's bed covers, unblock the shower plug hole (it can get dangerously slippy otherwise), and do a quick vacuum. My mum was in another room. The cleaner wore gloves and disinfected surfaces as she went. Granted she didn’t wear a mask because it’s not the culture in the UK to wear masks (yet?).

I’m wondering how many old or vulnerable people who are self-isolated / cacooned will need a quick visit by a professional cleaner to keep their home safe and clean?

It depends which side you are looking at this from. If you are old, this would be GREAT if you can find someone that won't steal from you. As for being the cleaner or the company that provides the cleaner(s)..... we tried to stay away from old people. Our best customers were under 2000sf houses (1 floor preferably), as few kids as possible, as few pets as possible and both adults worked out of the home. Old people were time wasters and small payers when it came to the calculator. There are a few exceptions to every rule.

But speaking of old people.... how about someone that goes around and talks to them for 15 minutes, anything over 15 minutes and they are charged extra. This could be done as often as they want to pay for. Maybe the daughter/son could pay to have someone to visit mom/dad/grandparent in the nursing home once every 2 weeks or once a month. Once a month is better than 0 times a month the son/daughter goes to visit..... something like that..... what do you think? They could pay extra for you to take flowers or a card or something like that.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Sustainability Coaches that teach people how to grow their own plants, livestock, and other consumable resources from home.

Minimalist Coaches - that teach people how to live with less through down-sizing (tiny houses) and getting rid of crap they don't need.

Survival Coaches - that teach people or businesses how to prep for emergencies.

Financial Coaches - to help people unf*ck their financial situation when the dust settles.

Ammo Store? - I can't buy ammo anywhere. Bass Pro has been sending emails for weeks telling me my shipment is delayed.

All Sleep Products - People are losing a lot of sleep due to anxiety and mental chatter.

All Wellness Products - Especially products like Muse that help you meditate and calm your mind.

Reality Television - Focused on drama situations arising from at-home living.

Food Sanitation Product or Service - People are spending 15 - 30 minutes prepping cleaner, wiping down boxes, hand-washing veggies, etc. when they get home from the grocery store.

Decontamination/Sanitation Storage - When people get home they have to drop their shoes, clothes, keys and anything else that is likely infected. Where do you put all of that stuff? How do you keep your kids from touching it? How do you keep it out of the elements and how do you sanitize it all?

Backyard Games - More fun stuff for kids or families to do outdoors at home.

Side Hustle Flipping - People are running out of money so they're selling stuff at bottom dollar prices on Facebook Buy/Sale groups. Cars, toys, electronics etc. For hustlers this is a good time to scoop up product for resale.

New Media Entertainment - With the world at home, there's a lot of people consuming television non-stop. They'll burn through Netflix, HBO, Prime libraries. Where can they fill their desire for consumption? YouTube? Twitch? They want something new, constantly.

VTK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Dec 14, 2018
I've had a few ideas for community listings websites to help local businesses or communities during the Corona pandemic, but the feedback off friends I've run these ideas past has been why don't you just start a FB group.

What do you guys think of FB groups versus websites? Is there any reason something would work better on FB?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've had a few ideas for community listings websites to help local businesses or communities during the Corona pandemic, but the feedback off friends I've run these ideas past has been why don't you just start a FB group.

What do you guys think of FB groups versus websites? Is there any reason something would work better on FB?
People are already on Facebook and in Facebook groups. They’re also used to the interface.

VTK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Dec 14, 2018
Probably been said before but what is desperately needed is a contact tracing app with absolute privacy. I have zero understanding of fancy words like blockchain but I'm pretty sure there must be some new tech out there that could solve the trust issues.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 4, 2019
Do you guys think there will be a long lasting push to bring manufacturing back to the US? It seems like there might be some coming legislation to encourage this and people are definitely realizing that being dependent on foreign manufacturing is not good, but will this be strong enough to counteract the cheap prices overseas?

I'm involved with manufacturing/engineering and I've been trying to figure out how I can help businesses with this. I'm thinking consulting and logistical assistance and planning that help companies through all the stages of moving their manufacturing. Any thoughts?

VTK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Dec 14, 2018
Do you guys think there will be a long lasting push to bring manufacturing back to the US? It seems like there might be some coming legislation to encourage this and people are definitely realizing that being dependent on foreign manufacturing is not good, but will this be strong enough to counteract the cheap prices overseas?

I'm involved with manufacturing/engineering and I've been trying to figure out how I can help businesses with this. I'm thinking consulting and logistical assistance and planning that help companies through all the stages of moving their manufacturing. Any thoughts?

If it's automated then sure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.