The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Raising $100,000 for charity through a virtual summit on Sales & Marketing

Marketing, social media, advertising

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Hi,

thanks for stopping by my thread and following my progress thread.

I just came back to this forum and I'm really glad it still exists and the community seems not to have changed too much over the last years. That's really rare.

What can you expect here?

Basically, I'm writing down my thoughts and hope you can give me some great insights and put things into perspective once in a while. The last time I really had a progress thread were the days at the university when I played online poker professionally. (2009-2012)

At some point, I had to quit because I was simply not good enough anymore. At the beginning, you could win without knowing what you did because nobody else had a clue as well. But as the game became more popular and attracted people who "solved" the game, new software, and in the end regulations, it did not make sense to continue playing.

But the main reason I failed was probably that I never went deep into the theory and only watched, what could learn from the pros at deuces cracked. I still have "The theory of poker" on my desk to remind me that success requires commitment.

Because I want to be part of this community again, I bought Unscripted .

One thing I realized is that I never had a real F*ck This event in my life.

I was always happy and satisfied with my life. And I still am.

My life is great, I have everything except a business that generates cash.

That's not completely true because I have inherited a farm after my father, unfortunately, took his own life because he was depressed and have some side income from that.

At least I was able to raise the rent we got from about $6k/year to $12k/year, which basically covers my living expenses right now.

Besides that I will get married in the next weeks I just proposed last week and my wife earns a steady income that will be enough to live a decent sidewalk life. I'm pretty good at making myself anti-fragile, (maybe only robust.) However, that's not enough to grow a business.

After quitting poker, I tried to start my first business in affiliate marketing, failed and for convenience got a job making $60k/year in a city with low living expenses.

About half a year before my father died I could not stand the crab at the company and moved back home.

During that time I found a developer who developed a tool to stay away from distracting websites. Great business, huge market. But eventually, I had to leave because he never accepted me as a co-founder and I was building my life on a "letter of intent".

That's when I started my own company called "FindFocus", found a great development company in Russia and spent about $35k - $40k to develop a similar software, which is pretty awesome.

(I had real luck with these guys so far). But since then my progress pretty much came to an end.

The software really helps me to stay away from the computer (which was my initial goal), but it's hard to build and grow an online company without having a team and not working myself too much. ;)

Anyway getting married (+ she already has two kids) I realized, that I don't want her to endure the bullshit at work anymore. She likes her job but I hate her complaining about her shitty boss.

You could say she's completely scripted for the sidewalk. Don't think that will change unless I'm really successful.

So it's time to level up again once more and get this thing going.

I vowed to myself, to make this company successful, even though it will take a while. (My time discounting is/was pretty high)

In the past whenever I thought about making money I was looking for some kind of shortcuts. Unfortunately, that does not work.

So my focus will be on just providing value and get my writing habit in place.

If you're interested you can read the blog post that I wrote today here:

Avoid Distractions And Break Bad Online Habits Without Limiting Your Flexibility

It's pretty good for just one morning of work. Especially since I did all the pictures etc. myself.

As I get this going I will streamline the process a bit and create a checklist. Then I will be able to write more SEO relevant content.

However, I want to tackle my habit first before I get lost in details again. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

d7laungani

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Apr 10, 2018
Texas
Howdy,

I am in the same place as you are and I also have not had a "real f*ck This event in my life." situation. I have been reading from some other threads about motivation vs mindset and the conclusion is that mindset is necessary.

However, without a "real f*ck This event" it is hard to find something to switch my mindset.I have temporary motivations but have not found something to kick my mindset into gear and am still figuring that out for myself.

I would say you are definitely on the right path with your mindset of just providing value. It all starts with that.

Funny thing ... earlier today I was on reddit and found your post of the same content on r/Entrepreneur. Good work. I found your writing engaging and well thought out.

Good luck on growing the business and I look forward to hearing updates.

P.S. If you want to get some keywords checked on Ahrefs (SEO Tool ). DM and I should be able to help you out.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Howdy,

I am in the same place as you are and I also have not had a "real f*ck This event in my life." situation. I have been reading from some other threads about motivation vs mindset and the conclusion is that mindset is necessary.

However, without a "real f*ck This event" it is hard to find something to switch my mindset. I have temporary motivations but have not found something to kick my mindset into gear and am still figuring that out for myself.

I would say you are definitely on the right path with your mindset of just providing value. It all starts with that.

Funny thing ... earlier today I was on reddit and found your post of the same content on r/Entrepreneur. Good work. I found your writing engaging and well thought out.

P.S. If you want to get some keywords checked on Ahrefs (SEO Tool ). DM and I should be able to help you out.

Thanks. Yes, it's more difficult for sure.

I view myself more as a philosopher than an entrepreneur. So I'm reading a lot and have a lot of insights.

However, philosophy has only meaning in action.

That's why I'm here. That's why I'm building my company.

Philosophy only makes sense if you "have skin in the game"

Yes, I posted it to Reddit and quora, where it already got 1,4k views and I will probably publish on medium. I still have to create an account there.

Yesterday I read a large chunk of Unscripted .

What I really like about this forum and MJ's work is his integrity without using any bullshit.

Without a need to monetize it beyond this forum.

That's so rare in the world of "making money (online)"

He could have probably made a lot more money but the quality of the forum and its members would not be the same.

(Btw. this has happened to the poker forum I was part of when the market grew exponentially between 2007-2012). The same happens if Facebook groups get too big.

Thanks for your offer with hrefs. I have Serpstat but only the limited plan with 100 keywords. For keyword research that's enough to get started because you can sort and filter and basically get all the date you need. It's only limiting when it comes to backlink research. But building backlinks is something I will tackle later.

First things first, second not at all.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Howdy,

However, without a "real f*ck This event" it is hard to find something to switch my mindset.I have temporary motivations but have not found something to kick my mindset into gear and am still figuring that out for myself.

One thing about the FTE event. Having a strong "away from" motivation is important but I don't agree with MJ's formula, where he says it's binary. Otherwise, I would be screwed :D

However, without the FTE event, I believe it's important to spend a lot of time creating your vision. What kind of life do you want to live?

A good place to start is Michael Hyatt's book living forward.

You can do the exercises here: The book is nice to read but not necessary.

Important is to DO the exercises which are freely available here: Free Resources | Living Forward

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Just published my next blog post.

You can read it here if you want: Avoid Distractions And Break Bad Online Habits Without Limiting Your Flexibility

The goal is right now is getting used to the publishing process itself.

I have so many tools (mostly from appsumo) to help with that, that I have to figure out which ones I want to use.

Once I have figured that out, I will create a checklist to streamline the process.

2JBg4r0

Plus here a screenshot of my software. I really like it. It's so helpful to stay on track. :)

Image%202018-06-08%20at%2010.57.20%20AM.png

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
I'm currently making a few more sales (3) in the last two days. Before everything was going pretty very slow.

Only things I changed so far were quora and becoming active here (plus putting a bit content on my blog).

Currently, I'm working on a "cornerstone" article about internet addition. It started out as a modification of a blog post from zenhabits.net but I added so much content that I thought why not add some more and make it REALLY valuable and a great piece of content for SEO.

First, it was just an explanation about how I use FindFocus but now I'm adding a part about the current state of research on this topic and one part about how to overcome smartphone addition.

I think it will be really good once it's ready. :)

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I'm currently making a few more sales (3) in the last two days. Before everything was going pretty very slow.

Only things I changed so far were quora and becoming active here (plus putting a bit content on my blog).

Currently, I'm working on a "cornerstone" article about internet addition. It started out as a modification of a blog post from zenhabits.net but I added so much content that I thought why not add some more and make it REALLY valuable and a great piece of content for SEO.

First, it was just an explanation about how I use FindFocus but now I'm adding a part about the current state of research on this topic and one part about how to overcome smartphone addition.

I think it will be really good once it's ready. :)

Martin, are you considering using this internet addiction article as a lead magnet? I could easily see it being an eBook where you don't really touch too much on your software. What you do is you educate people on internet addiction and how it affects them. What would happen is someone on Facebook (or any other medium) would see a post that asks "How could an internet addiction be affecting your life?" Regardless of what you say... get them to download a free eBook that answers this question by providing their email.

AFTER that - because you used an email opt-in for the eBook download - you hit them with an email about your software. The eBook itself should not feel like it is selling your product. It should only be to help educate people and give them a few useful ways to deal with it that do not primarily concern using your software.

Whoever is reading this eBook should slowly be becoming more aware of the issues that your particular software solves and how deeply it affects them.

Then, once your email hits them it's already sold.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Martin, are you considering using this internet addiction article as a lead magnet? I could easily see it being an eBook where you don't really touch too much on your software. What you do is you educate people on internet addiction and how it affects them. What would happen is someone on Facebook (or any other medium) would see a post that asks "How could an internet addiction be affecting your life?" Regardless of what you say... get them to download a free eBook that answers this question by providing their email.

AFTER that - because you used an email opt-in for the eBook download - you hit them with an email about your software. The eBook itself should not feel like it is selling your product. It should only be to help educate people and give them a few useful ways to deal with it that do not primarily concern using your software.

Whoever is reading this eBook should slowly be becoming more aware of the issues that your particular software solves and how deeply it affects them.

Then, once your email hits them it's already sold.

I think that's a great idea. However, in the end this is something I have to test.

Sometimes a pdf-work-sheets has a higher conversion rate than a 10-page ebook. It all depends. People are having very short attention spans these days. Especially if they come from Facebook ;)

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
I just started advertising on Facebook for the 1st time in my life.

I feel spending money sharpens my focus a lot, even if it's just a few bucks for now.

I also simplified my landing page a lot and will focus to position my tool as the ultimate solution to build "Deep Work Habits" (which it is) and create content around this topic.

The blog post I worked on happened to become about 7000 words long. Next, I will have to publish it on my website and create some graphics along with it.

I think it's one of the best pieces of content I wrote so far.

Probably I'll also transform it into a lead magnet like Mitch suggested.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Wanted to let you know I have an Ask Me Anything thread about SaaS here that could be helpful -> GOLD! - Ask Me Anything About SaaS ( I'm building my 7th )

Thanks for pointing that out.

I've had a look at that thread before and it's really good.

At the moment is not so much knowledge that's lacking it more taking action and getting real-world feedback and "find focus" myself.

One of my biggest problems/weaknesses is changing my strategy too often.

It's a known human bias.

Dan Ariely writes about it in his book "Predictably Irrational" (Probably one of the best marketing books I've ever read, even though it's not a marketing but psychology book.)

Too many options distract us from our main objective.

That's why I said I want to focus on getting good at one thing and focus on the process of writing really good articles and learn how to promote them.

This will include breaking these articles down into smaller pieces that I can share via social media and request feedback from experts in my niche. (e.g. Cal Newport, Nir Eyal, etc.)

This will require me to develop deep work habits myself, something I'm still struggling with.

The focus is on the process, document it and making it more efficient.

Since I'm a one-man show at the moment it's so easy to get overwhelmed.

Update about my progress:

I've figured out how to make/design great looking graphics for blog posts/facebook posts using a cool tool I bought on appsumo a while ago.

They are all based on templates that are generated automatically. The only thing that's not possible with the software, is to move objects around. You have to stick with the templates.

It's not perfect but I really like it.

And my new (reactivated) Facebook account got shot down, even while ads are running. I had to upload a photo and now waiting for them.

Basically, there is nothing I can do, which makes me hate them even more. It's incredible that they are building an empire on combining addictive technology with the network effect where everybody is locked-in.

That's why they are able to get away with it with this crappy customers service for paying customers. :(

That sucks.

Some examples of blog post /facebook pictures:

2tsfsK8

2KgZBZ4
2tum3Ua

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Progress is pretty slow at the moment.

Just found out that I made a major mistake in my billing system, so users of my software would only get bill $1 after the trial period is over instead of $97. I reached out to the people but nobody replied. :(

At least I had one customer who asked of a pricing plan (which I provided), probably a student:

Hey Martin!

And thank you so much for this offer! I'm just honestly so addicted to YouTube and socials so this app really have saved my days. Also I had sleeping issues cause watching tutorials or working too late.

I try to finally pay it next week. So I hope the payment link will be active until then.

Thanks again! :)

All the best, Joni

So at least some people are seeing the value of my software. :)

In the meantime, I will focus on my strategy. I finally finished my blog post and started posting useful content on my social media channels again with the goal to post only evergreen stuff that I can post again in the future.

Currently, I follow Andy Black's advise about business processes, so it's okay to go slower. I generally try to go for the "perfect solution" way to fast and then get overwhelmed.

1) Do it manually (a few times)
2) Keep doing it and remove friction
3) Documented the process / Create Checklists & Templates
4) Automate and/or outsource
5) Optimize and document again (as much as is sensible)​

I also repurposed my article for quora and Reddit and at least on Reddit it was well received and got a bunch of upvotes in the nosurf thread.

Next big task will be starting my podcast (I scheduled two interviews already) and doing outreach while working on my next article.

I don't know why but outreach scares me at the moment. I have to keep it simple I guess :)

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Short update:

I just started outreach. I believe @Kung Fu Steve coaching calls and doing Tony Robbins "Hour of Power" really helped me to overcome my mental block.

I also just launched my very first podcast episode this morning.

Since I don't like to get into paid advertising at the moment I need to build relationships with people who already have access to my target audience.

The long-term goal is to have joint-venture webinars but for now, I'm okay just to interview interesting people about the topics of deepwork, building habits, and entrepreneurship.

Here is the first episode.

I think it's quite okay for the very first episode.

I'm trying to improve the habit of shipping. :)

How to build better habits with Marco Stojanovic

I will refine the process as I go along.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Joining this forum gave me so much momentum. Currently participating in Kung Fu Steve's coaching, joined a mastermind group with fellow members from the forum, and having weekly calls with another forum member.

All this together really changed my mindset.

Next step will be to set up a working funnel for my software.

The plan is to model this funnel from proof and test different lead magnets.

Our Prove High Converting Landing Page Template

Lead Magnets to test:

• My One-Page-Productivity Planner,
  • an ebook about internet addiction (my blog post turned into an ebook).
  • a modified version of the book "Focus" from Leo Babauta from Zenhabits (really like this guy and all his content is without copyright). I just need to rewrite the part where his book is outdated but mentions similar software to mine.
  • The 10,000/ hour google docs worksheet modeled after 80/20 sales and marketing from Perry Marshall

Most of the lead magnets are already finished (except the rewrite).

I will then test to convert people to a prerecorded webinar/software demonstration or directly into the paid trial of FindFocus.

Also scheduled a call a podcast call with the creator of this documentary (which is really worth watching)

Stare Into The Lights My Pretties | Jore

Besides that, I'm trying to line up more people for my podcast.

I aim for one episode per week.

To plan out the episodes I use Russel Brunson's funnelscripts.

They provide really nice frameworks and interview questions.

Also I stumbled upon this really cool software:

https://designrr.io/

Besides the software which is pretty cool, I was blown away by their funnel.

Facebook Ad with $27 onetime offer for lifetime version -> Sales Page with bumper ($37) for info product-> Upsell to "Pro-Version" for $97/year - Downsell to $19/month pro version -> Upsell $97/year agency version.

I will probably try to model this in the future as well. It was the 1st time I saw a SaaS company really use Russel Brunsons Framework in such an elegant way, that totally makes sense.

No wonder why they seem to have more than 30.000 customers...

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Funny side fact: I just got my first follower on SoundCloud.

Daniela

She has this profile text:

Hi!!! Do you w..a.nt s e.. x? Wr..i.te me o..n t.h..e w.ebs.it..e. М..у pr.o..fi.le - SigneGirl90

I guess she really cares about deep work. :D

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
This morning at 7:30am the cops came to my house.

They were looking for a "confused woman" because someone reported "strange voices."

I just finished my Hour of Power from Tony Robbins until it dawned on me.

They were not looking for a confused woman.

They were looking for ME!!!

I guess at least I'm shouting loud enough.
1f602.png

Poor woman, who called the police.

I had to tell the cops:

"It was Tony. He made me do this"

#incantationsdoneright

2JhccHa

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Just wanted to share this interview with you I did with Jordan Brown who created the film "STARE INTO THE LIGHTS MY PRETTIES".

The whole interview is about the bigger questions that are related to technology and it's impact on us, our society and our environment.

You can listen to it here:

https://findfocus.net/impact-technology/

I know this is an external link to my own website but the interview is highly relevant to nosurf and Jordan has some really important points to talk about.

What I liked most about this interview was his story of travelling the world without a smartphone!

Be sure to watch his documentary as well:

His film is mind-blowing and scary at the same time.

Hope you like the interview and the podcast format.
1f642.png

If you have any questions or how to make the podcast better in the future just let me know.

Have a great day!

happiness2go

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
I think an affiliate system could work well for this kind of product in case you haven't given it a try yet. Could be done similarly like the people over at focus@will (my favorite product in your space so far).

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
I think an affiliate system could work well for this kind of product in case you haven't given it a try yet. Could be done similarly like the people over at focus@will (my favorite product in your space so far).

Yes definitely. I'm currently focusing on streamlining the process.

Besides that the last few weeks have been full of life changing events.

I got married about one week ago! :smile:

And my place is still a bit of a mess after my wife and the 2 kids moved in about 3 weeks ago. So my productivity was not THAT great.

But at least I stayed pretty consistent.

I launched my podcast and doing weekly interviews.

I posted all episodes on my blog and published more articles besides that.

Avoid Distractions And Break Bad Online Habits Without Limiting Your Flexibility

However, I'm glad when the summer holidays are over and the kids go back to school during the day, which will hopefully allow for a more steady content production and outreach process.

I will probably drive a two way strategy:

In terms of selling I will present the software as a time saving tool for marketers and the podcast will be the umbrella brand for my philosophy.

I noticed that without this differentiation, I always confuse and mixup the ROI-driven sales message, with my higher values of "saving people from online addiction."

I like to have and work on both.

This way my podcast can offer much more value and reach a broader audience while using my ads and promote the software as a specific solution for specific problems like I did on this post about blocking Facebook while still being able to run Facebook ads

How To Block Facebook And Still Use The Business Manager

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Congratulation on the wedding!

Short update:
Since I don't like to get into paid advertising at the moment I need to build relationships with people who already have access to my target audience.

The long-term goal is to have joint-venture webinars but for now, I'm okay just to interview interesting people about the topics of deepwork, building habits, and entrepreneurship.

Look at the most popular and data-rich articles of those influencers that are in line what you are doing, create an infographic and share it. Make sure to include the original source.

Do it for free for a while.
1. It is a relatively cheap way to get content up
2. By pulling popular articles you have cheap marketing
3. It is a great way of giving to them. When it will be time to ask, this will come in handy.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Congratulation on the wedding!

Look at the most popular and data-rich articles of those influencers that are in line what you are doing, create an infographic and share it. Make sure to include the original source.

Do it for free for a while.
1. It is a relatively cheap way to get content up
2. By pulling popular articles you have cheap marketing
3. It is a great way of giving to them. When it will be time to ask, this will come in handy.

Thank you. That's a great idea! Especially to do that for the most important influencers !

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Currently making a lot of progress interviewing people for my podcast.

I noticed that I became much faster with the production and everything.

For know I estimate that it takes me about 1-3 hours to find a guest, about 30min to prepare for an interview and about 3-4 hours for post production publishing the content and sharing it via social media.

That's actually pretty good. Of course my audience is still pretty small. It's more about the staying consistent and improving the process.

One example is this guide for interview guests so I can really cut down the amount of sending messages back and forth in advance:

The FindFocus Podcast - Interview Guide

Another aspect of this is that I'm building a lot of goodwill with the people I interview, especially if they are unknown and just starting out as well. This is a list of people I can later return to and ask for backlinks/product reviews/testimonials etc.

My last interview was with a another forum member and it's really impressive what he accomplished although he just turned 22.

How Daily And Weekly Planning Will Burn Away Your Bad Habits And Transform Your Life

I'm away next week for my honey moon so I decided to publish to episodes this week.

Besides that I discovered a goldmine of people/leads on twitter. I never really used that but with a tool from appsumo I can enter a lot of conversations where people recommend similar (but inferior products like selfcontrol)

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
At some point, I had to quit [poker] because I was simply not good enough anymore. At the beginning, you could win without knowing what you did because nobody else had a clue as well. But as the game became more popular and attracted people who "solved" the game, new software, and in the end regulations, it did not make sense to continue playing.
Sounds **exactly** like my experience with financial trading. When I started in 1998, I was able to make ridiculous profits even though I didn't have a clue what I was doing. By 2001 I was managing $10M in client money. Then 9/11 happened and totally upended the market psychology, and all the techniques I developed stopped working -- and they never worked again. I had to quit trading for personal reasons (but eventually she divorced me anyway :smuggy:) and when I started again 8 years later, I found it was basically impossible to find any profitable and reliable strategies. Other traders saw the same thing.

Lesson: never assume you've cracked a problem forever.

One thing I realized is that I never had a real f*ck This event in my life.
I was always happy and satisfied with my life. And I still am.
Same here. Other than the aforementioned divorce and subsequent lack of a life partner, my life is pretty awesome. I'm making a good income doing something I enjoy, with a lot of free time. I don't have much Control but other than that it's a good setup. Makes it mighty tough to motivate myself to sweat & bleed to create a business that doesn't really interest me. Especially given how many people put in the sweat & blood and never manage to build anything successful.

Not complaining, mind you. Just observing.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Finally back to work again.

I can only recommend to anyone to start a podcast. Not so much for getting publicity (yet) but it's an awesome way to build relationships and have a reason to talk to experts.

So many gold nuggets...

The best nugget I want to share with you is this One Minute Willpower - Breathing exercise.

Pic a gif that you like and breath along with it for one minute (or longer)...

10 Awesome GIFs for Calm Breathing

It will increase your heart rate variability and has so many positive effects on health.

I will probably add a gif like that to the page my website blocker redirects to if you visit a blocked site.

Really looking forward to my next interview with Jason Brown tomorrow.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
Finally back to work again.

I can only recommend to anyone to start a podcast. Not so much for getting publicity (yet) but it's an awesome way to build relationships and have a reason to talk to experts.

So many gold nuggets...

The best nugget I want to share with you is this One Minute Willpower - Breathing exercise.

Pic a gif that you like and breath along with it for one minute (or longer)...

10 Awesome GIFs for Calm Breathing

It will increase your heart rate variability and has so many positive effects on health.

I will probably add a gif like that to the page my website blocker redirects to if you visit a blocked site.

Really looking forward to my next interview with Jason Brown tomorrow.

Man this is a great thread, and for somebody who doesn't believe they are together, you are pretty f*cking together man!

I am sorry for your loss, I'm sure no words I can write will make it any better or give you some kind of resolution, just to know I feel you man.

On the side of business, I can't see how you'll fail if the app is good and you keep up with this kind of momentum and pressure. I swear reading threads like this I wonder why all of Germany aren't entrepreneurs!

Have you heard of Stay Focused?

It seems they do the same thing you do but for free (or maybe they have a pro upgrade), how does your app differentiate from that one?

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Man this is a great thread, and for somebody who doesn't believe they are together, you are pretty f*cking together man!

I am sorry for your loss, I'm sure no words I can write will make it any better or give you some kind of resolution, just to know I feel you man.

On the side of business, I can't see how you'll fail if the app is good and you keep up with this kind of momentum and pressure. I swear reading threads like this I wonder why all of Germany aren't entrepreneurs!

Have you heard of Stay Focused?

It seems they do the same thing you do but for free (or maybe they have a pro upgrade), how does your app differentiate from that one?

Great question:

They do basically the same thing. StayFocused is great and by far the best free browser extention out there...

Unfortunately there's one very obvious way to get around Stayfocusd, and that's to launch a different web browser because since Stayfocusd only works in Chrome.

Hello Internet Explorer, I don't like you but hey I can visit Facebook... :)

I've build a native app, that allows you to block websites in Chrome, Safari, Edge and a few other browsers and block other software (like unsupported browsers like Firefox, Opera).

Unlike most other native apps e.g. Selfcontrol, FindFocus does not make changes to your operating system but is still hard to get around.

The idea is that you already know what's best for you but a lot of people are addicted to certain websites (like Facebook, Youtube, maybe even this forum).

FindFocus just makes visiting these sites a bit more difficult e.g. by asking you to type in "Do I really need to stop working on my business to visit Facebook) to give you some more time to reevaluate your decision and make giving in to your craving more difficult than continue working...

It's build, so you can focus on production and consume less just like MJ writes in his books...

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
The idea is that you already know what's best for you but s...

I'd just lock those sites out at the url level like those blockers in schools and offices or use a time limited vr4sion. You get an hour every day then it's blocked all though if your advertising promoting this way it might not work.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
I'm really proud because of my lasted podcast:

I spend two days of turning it into a blog post but I think it was time well spend.

How To Overcome Porn Addiction

I also got some pretty good advice on Facebook from Paul Clifford in his Facebook Group:

Hey Martin

Great product and site...I love it and will buy it myself.

In terms of positioning - instead of overcome 'internet addiction' etc..
push positive messages instead - growth/success/wealth etc.

There is a probably a ton of successful people and articles that put focus at the top of their list for success.

So for continual blog content - the podcast is perfect, followed by a featured successful celebrity in business - perhaps once per month.

This product is used by internet entrepreneurs who love to read and listen to other entrepreneurs.

Then for traffic and reach..start with promoting these featured articles as engagement ads on Facebook. Engagement ads will be low cost and generate a ton of traffic.
You'll get page likes in the process.

Your targetting is easy.. anything entrepreneurial.

At this stage you're trying to build and audience using key content pieces to get engagement.

As your page audience grows - then keep it populated by sharing your podcast blog posts.

I noticed you haven't got any lead capture going. I would set that up asap - as it a missed opportunity. You can either use KudaniLeads or I'm loving Convertbox right now. (10% optin rate on the blog homepage) Its not for sale yet - but they're running a one-time price pilot program here http://link.designrr.io/convertbox

So focus on the audience building for entrepreneurs and grow that list!

I think I slowly get the process of publishing my podcast right. I still make improvements but seeing the latest one is something I'm really proud of.

That's the kind of result I want to present with deep work. In the long-term I will be able to outsource a large chunk this work to somebody else, but it's a good experience to have done this myself first.

At least I know I will not rely on automatic transcription any more.

This will results in way more mistakes. I had to go through this at least two times to spot most of them. I'm sure there are still plenty of mistakes left, though but I'm still really happy with the result. :)

Besides that the next think I will focus on is list-building and a small followup sequence.

I like to keep things simple for now and not worry about everything at once.

I'll continue doing the interviews and will use Brett McKay from the art of manliness as my first case study.

But first I'll need to publish another "website blocker"-SEO post.

Later on I plan to write more case studies about other gurus that promote "Focus". Probably Brendon Burchard and Sam Ovens... so I can target their fans on Facebook...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
At least I know I will not rely on automatic transcription any more.

This will results in way more mistakes. I had to go through this at least two times to spot most of them. I'm sure there are still plenty of mistakes left, though but I'm still really happy with the result. :)

I was thinking that this could actually be a solid productized service business. Instead of doing regular transcription, you turn the podcast into a properly written blog post. It would make for much easier reading than the raw transcripts.

Good call on turning it into a proper blog post - I'm pretty sure that a lot of people from your target audience don't have enough focus to listen to the entire podcast. This way, at least they can skim the post quickly and get the gist of it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.