The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Build it and they will come? Or Market now?

Marketing, social media, advertising

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Hey everyone, I'm 27 make 70k annually and live in Michigan in my vintage schoolbus.. My dream is to purchase an existing RV park in the South West US, with the goal of turning it into a more nomadic safe haven, where we can host large events, have a market, and admit the general public for extra revenue.. There is a huge market for people living alternative life styles, like living in Van's, Tiny Homes, or a school bus like myself.. Because most RV parks do not allow anything but RV's and many don't allow RV's that are 10 years or older.. My campground would heavily market to this group, we would host festivals and Tiny Home conventions.. For additional revenue, besides the nightly rate the campers pay.. Also many of these nomadic family's create and sell products, I would provide a farmers market so they can sell in person, not just online. I would admit the general public too, to provide customers for the family's at the market... So that's the plan... Now my question..
-RV park is $300-500k I won't be able to swing that... For a while...
Should I continue planning, and saving to pursue this one day? Or should I create social media, and advertise it like its a "Real" location, to generate interest, donations, and possibly investments ahead of time? The thought that it could become "Vaporware" scares me..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Love the idea but it will need a modest amount of capital and probably isn't something a first-time entrepreneur should try to crack

Here's how I'd approach it...

1. I'd start looking for raw land with proper zoning, or that can be rezoned.
  2. Start networking with people who can become part of the project, land developers, RE investors, etc.
  3. I'd start a side hustle or better, a Fastlane business. $70K a year simply doesn't cut-it and it will relegate you to a scripted box of mediocrity with little upward mobility (which is the problem you're encountering here with this good idea)
  4. Start on preliminary development plans (after land) including drawing up the website -- this is NOT to attract customers, but to act like a pitchdeck for attracting investors. Or consider, sub-plotting the land so your residents have ownership interests as a park like this could go south with low-rent types pretty quick.
  5. In short, this would be the first phase of the project is to have everything pretty well documented and financially analyzed, right down to daily operations. Make the project come to life on paper so that paper can translate to investors, loans, and whatever else might be needed.

Unfortunately this is not a business I'd start if it was my first crack at entrepreneurship -- it be my 4th or 5th, especially because now I have the capital to get it funded myself.

Perhaps some of the guys who have more experience with land and RE can add something @SteveO @Envision

Welcome to the forum.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Wow, you've been on the forum for 8 years and this is your first post? Talk about patience. Ok, cool, so I have some questions.

Do you see this as a business you have to run or an idyllic place community you'd like to be a part of?
If it is a business, is this your fastlane idea or a part of a greater vision?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

You can of course buy an existing RV park using something like an SBA 7a loan, seller financing, or a combination of both.

If you can hustle your way to $50k+ in the bank, that might be enough capital to leverage. But going for 10x leverage is risky unless you know exactly what you're doing...

It might even be smarter to just focus on getting a normal RV park. I could be totally wrong though, maybe the uniqueness is more important.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Wow, you've been on the forum for 8 years and this is your first post? Talk about patience. Ok, cool, so I have some questions.

Do you see this as a business you have to run or an idyllic place community you'd like to be a part of?
If it is a business, is this your fastlane idea or a part of a greater vision?
Hah, can't believe its been so long. To be honest, going to college and working I didn't really have any ideas or questions worth asking you guys but I did enjoy lurking. My goal is not to get rich but, I want to build. I want to create, to build, and to have a legacy. That's where my motivations and intentions lie. Also I'd love to live and be apart of this, I want this to be the main focus of my life, any side skills, or hustles will support this dream.. I'm actually just finishing a Realtor course, and will take my test soon.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
You can of course buy an existing RV park using something like an SBA 7a loan, seller financing, or a combination of both.

If you can hustle your way to $50k+ in the bank, that might be enough capital to leverage. But going for 10x leverage is risky unless you know exactly what you're doing...

It might even be smarter to just focus on getting a normal RV park. I could be totally wrong though, maybe the uniqueness is more important.
Ideally I want to buy an existing park because it will be zoned correctly, have the infrastructure, and hopefully come with a income from "renters".. I will operate it as normal, to get a feel for it.. With the goal of converting it to my vision over time. So yes, I will operate it, as a normal park at first

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Love the idea but it will need a modest amount of capital and probably isn't something a first-time entrepreneur should try to crack

Here's how I'd approach it...

1. I'd start looking for raw land with proper zoning, or that can be rezoned.
  2. Start networking with people who can become part of the project, land developers, RE investors, etc.
  3. I'd start a side hustle or better, a Fastlane business. $70K a year simply doesn't cut-it and it will relegate you to a scripted box of mediocrity with little upward mobility (which is the problem you're encountering here with this good idea)
  4. Start on preliminary development plans (after land) including drawing up the website -- this is NOT to attract customers, but to act like a pitchdeck for attracting investors. Or consider, sub-plotting the land so your residents have ownership interests as a park like this could go south with low-rent types pretty quick.
  5. In short, this would be the first phase of the project is to have everything pretty well documented and financially analyzed, right down to daily operations. Make the project come to life on paper so that paper can translate to investors, loans, and whatever else might be needed.

Unfortunately this is not a business I'd start if it was my first crack at entrepreneurship -- it be my 4th or 5th, especially because now I have the capital to get it funded myself.

Perhaps some of the guys who have more experience with land and RE can add something @SteveO @Envision

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you! I've toyed with this idea for years, I'm part of many nomadic groups on FB. All the groups have over 50k members each... And several times a day, I see people ask "What RV parks can we stay at, because we weren't allowed in the one we had a reservation with"... I'm almost ready to take my Realtor license test, hoping this would make a good side hustle whether getting commission $$ or access to the MLS so I can invest in properties for myself. And I like the pitch deck idea, that what I was thinking.. A way to show investors how much interest there is in this, since many are not aware of this niche. I really appreciate you being candid with me, this is exactly why I posted. I want real feedback, warts and all.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
All the groups have over 50k members each..

If you have enough interest, you can try to crowdfund it by taking pre-orders and pre-registrations. This money can serve as collateral to funding (but not used to fund the project) and give potential investors less risk (look: we have over $290,000 in pre-orders!) .

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
If you have enough interest, you can try to crowdfund it by taking pre-orders and pre-registrations. This money can serve as collateral to funding (but not used to fund the project) and give potential investors less risk (look: we have over $290,000 in pre-orders!) .
That's a good way to do it, as I wouldn't be comfortable taking cash as this stage.. Should I advertise it as a place that would be opening in the near future? My fears are attracting hate, if its projected to open in 2026 but doesn't happen until 2030.. Although I really understand the need to bring awareness to this so its attractive to investors, and have a waiting list when I do open the door.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Hey everyone, I'm 27 make 70k annually and live in Michigan in my vintage schoolbus.. My dream is to purchase an existing RV park in the South West US, with the goal of turning it into a more nomadic safe haven, where we can host large events, have a market, and admit the general public for extra revenue.. There is a huge market for people living alternative life styles, like living in Van's, Tiny Homes, or a school bus like myself.. Because most RV parks do not allow anything but RV's and many don't allow RV's that are 10 years or older.. My campground would heavily market to this group, we would host festivals and Tiny Home conventions.. For additional revenue, besides the nightly rate the campers pay.. Also many of these nomadic family's create and sell products, I would provide a farmers market so they can sell in person, not just online. I would admit the general public too, to provide customers for the family's at the market... So that's the plan... Now my question..
Should I continue planning, and saving to pursue this one day? Or should I create social media, and advertise it like its a "Real" location, to generate interest, donations, and possibly investments ahead of time? The thought that it could become "Vaporware" scares me..
Great idea!

Visit Quartzsite, AZ for some ideas. The majority of the town encompasses exactly what you are talking about. Go before the end of March to see it in action.

I used to joke about that town. It is serious though.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
That's a good way to do it, as I wouldn't be comfortable taking cash as this stage.. Should I advertise it as a place that would be opening in the near future? My fears are attracting hate, if its projected to open in 2026 but doesn't happen until 2030.. Although I really understand the need to bring awareness to this so its attractive to investors, and have a waiting list when I do open the door.
Dude... make things happen, don't make excuses.

You must fill a need. Determine what that is and go in that direction. No fear...

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Great idea!

Visit Quartzsite, AZ for some ideas. The majority of the town encompasses exactly what you are talking about. Go before the end of March to see it in action.

I used to joke about that town. It is serious though.
You’re dead on, I visited in 2019 and was absolutely floored by the site of a city comprised of RV’s! I think 2 million RV’s migrate there for the winter. Beautiful area. Also that’s mainly where I got my idea, after buying some cool desert rocks from some very cute and convincing kids lol

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You’re dead on, I visited in 2019 and was absolutely floored by the site of a city comprised of RV’s! I think 2 million RV’s migrate there for the winter. Beautiful area. Also that’s mainly where I got my idea, after buying some cool desert rocks from some very cute and convincing kids lol
Excellent. So you have a model. Make a new one or join the fray. There is land available in that community.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Excellent. So you have a model. Make a new one or join the fray. There is land available in that community.
No fear, ill make a public bet that by 2025 I’ll acquire a park… I’ve manifested many things, I know that sounds like bull but it’s true. Things have a way of working out when you focus effort, learn and apply skills, and come at it with positivity and a open mind. I really appreciate your words, I always rise to a challenge.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Look into zoning and read up on all of the things you cannot legally do with your own land.

Now that you've become a libertarian and hate the government, you may move to step two, which is adjusting some details in your plan and then buying some vacant land.

Then, you can have a slimed down version of your idea and get started. Keep your upfront investment small, because if all you spend is the money to buy the land, you can always sell it if the idea doesn't work. It may be harder to buy less valuable land because it will be less liquid and harder to sell. It's easier to buy something that is in demand that you can liquidate quickly should things not work out. Residential properties and commercial properties are more 'bankable' which means it's easier to get loans on them as opposed to vacant land.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Look into zoning and read up on all of the things you cannot legally do with your own land.

Now that you've become a libertarian and hate the government, you may move to step two, which is adjusting some details in your plan and then buying some vacant land.

Then, you can have a slimed down version of your idea and get started. Keep your upfront investment small, because if all you spend is the money to buy the land, you can always sell it if the idea doesn't work. It may be harder to buy less valuable land because it will be less liquid and harder to sell. It's easier to buy something that is in demand that you can liquidate quickly should things not work out. Residential properties and commercial properties are more 'bankable' which means it's easier to get loans on them as opposed to vacant land.
Hah! Already a Libertarian for many years now, zoning scares me, which is a large part of why I want to buy an existing park because I know it follows zoning and county ordinances. Or, at least should.. I'm a big proponent of starting small and building, I think that is best for most businesses. Just in this case, developing a park, hiring engineers to design the infrastructure, following zoning regulations etc.. Is a bit over my head. I do also like the idea of having revenue day 1, if I purchase a operating park... Maybe I'm completely misguided but developing land seems way over my head and seems like a much larger potential failure between the bureaucrats and contractors...

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Yes I wouldn't recommend developing anything right out of the gate, better to just get customers in the simplest way possible. People call that a MVP = Minimum viable product.

what-is-a-minimum-viable-product.jpg9f7f5b30ed9905117b65572ab6949a9f.jpg

So like instead of a nomad safe haven, start with a campground. That kind of thinking.

Veloman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Feb 10, 2018
Austin
Any updates?
I have a similar concept and been researching a lot. It's nuts how expensive campsites have become.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Any updates?
I have a similar concept and been researching a lot. It's nuts how expensive campsites have become.
None besides we spent 7 months on the road had a wonderful time, and did some INSIDERS research from the campgrounds we stayed at.. All in all decided this is a better idea as a retirement plan down the road, and I should concentrate on building my other business first :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.