The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Brand Creation, my story

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
Hi Fastlaners... I haven't been on the forum for a while. I spend all my time on the creation of my brand for the last 5 months...a crazy journey.
First, I don't know if I can give his name, but I ve been helped by a member of this forum who coached me the first 3 months and he helped me so much to bring the idea to reality.

The product line :
My products are related to a trendy sport. I didn't invent a new product but I'm providing the best quality ever with one unique feature and fantastic designs (that was the hardest part).

What I've done so far :
1/ Creation of business structure
2/ Bank accounts, credit cards, accounter
3/ The Brand Name...( to be honnest, I love it)
4/ Logo...first I ve used fiverr but I was disappointed of the results and then I've created a contest through 99designs. After a week I had +/- 300 different logos and the quality was just great. So...on this point I'm really happy with.

5/ Research of the manufacturer...that was a hard and expensive part. I didn't had the designs but I had to test samples. The products are heavy (+/- 5 lb) and so....the shipping to Europe has a cost. I ve tried 4 different suppliers before finding the perfect one. Great quality but the most important: a great communication and very responsive (China).

6/ The designs...that was a huge challenge and it took so much time. I needed a dozen of designs...I mean real art like paintings. Something stunning.
I've hired different designers through fiverr with great portfolios but 80% of the time, the result was poor...or not good enough...or may be I was too pushy but it had to be perfect.
Among a dozen of designers, just one did a great job. It means I've spent a lot of money for not usable works.
So I've created another contest through 99design and I've found few great artists but it s art so it means they can make great job once but not always on the next ones.
I ve found few other artists through Instagram...I haven't though about before that moment but it s an amazing place for my project.

7/ I've created an Instagram and FB page and launched a giveway contest asking people to give me their favorite designs ( I had 24 designs but needed only 12) and I ve been able to test how people reacted to the products. It was really positive and I could select the ones having more success.

8/ I've sent the designs to the supplier...it took time to receive it and unfortunately they did several mistakes. The size was wrong and It had stains on few products. They had to do it again and send it back....another loss of time.

8 / I've opened an amazon account and a Shoppify store.
9/ I've hired a copywriter for my listing
10/ I've hired a photographer for packshot and live pictures with models ( friends of mine...georgous girls and boys with muscles....not like me)
11/ Now I'm still dealing with amazon US (not easy for me...english is not my first language as you can noticed)
12/ I'm dealing with freight forwarder
13/ Production is running for the first batch. 400 units in total.
14 / Products should be in warehouse around end september. I ve spent + / - 10 k up to now and I have a x 5 ratio on the sale price. (manufacturer price / retail price)

I know I ve done many mistakes and I'll make some others but I m really opened to receive your opinions and advices.
Regarding marketing I don't know yet where to go...I m struggling with Instagram and FB ( Instagram is so difficult to get new followers).

What should be my next move?

Thank you for your help, advices and critics!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Brrr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Jul 28, 2019
Sounds awesome! Can you say what sport it is?

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
I d prefer not because the product idea would be too obvious.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Since you've already spent a fair amount getting these made, and they're already on their way to a warehouse, I'd get orders. For the people who were interested on FB & Instagram, you might consider reaching out to them, joining & posting on other similar FB groups, forums, etc., creating & promoting YouTube videos, give some to influencers in your niche--basically anywhere where your target market hangs out.

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
I think you should market it via influencers.
By the way, great post, and congrats for your action taking

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
I think you should market it via influencers.
By the way, great post, and congrats for your action taking
Thank you ! I m new to Insta...and I hate it. I m spending too much time on it and it s hard to get followers. Only 300 in 2 months and I do it everyday with quality posts, professional pictures, replies, likes, etc...
I just contact influenceurs and ask for a deal ?

BGPro

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 29, 2019
Good luck for your journey,

Who is the user who helped you?

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
Take the top of your niche and send them each a dm or email. Otherwise u can use influencers marketplace
That s what I like on this forum...people like you helping and providing wise advices. Thank you ;)

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
Hey!

Well done. I'm on a similar path, getting samples, designing, spending a lot of money etc. Also making a lot of mistakes but I'm pretty happy to make them actually! Great to read you're taking action!

What part of Europe are you from?

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
Hey!

Well done. I'm on a similar path, getting samples, designing, spending a lot of money etc. Also making a lot of mistakes but I'm pretty happy to make them actually! Great to read you're taking action!

What part of Europe are you from?
I m from Belgium but it will be for US market.

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
Hi Fastlaners,

A little update here about the products I've launched. It's live on Amazon for 2 weeks now. Sales are good for a begining but ppc are expensive. I ve been told it s normal at this stage. I've already good reviews and I m contacting many IG infuencers to show my products. Only 3 accepted (among 20ich), 1 has been done but I didn't get any feedback, the 2nd will show post this coming week and the 3rd which has 200k followers told me she loves it but I have no news or post (sounds like I ve been scammed...)Free gift for Mrs Ifeellikeastar.
Amazon is such a competitive marketplace and I have zero control but I wanted to begin somewhere and I'm really proud of the work I've done and the result, I ve put all my soul in it.
I'm working on the second product line, which is related to the first line using the same amazing and unique designs I have collected from many different great artists.

I know, it s not the CENTS Business...but I had to to do something instead of keeping waiting and searching for the perfect idea. Design has always been a passion and I had a lot of pleasure in this journey.
Please, to all experienced guys here, I'd be so gratefull if you could give me some help for next steps. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Emanuel aka Yomtov

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Design has always been a passion and I had a lot of pleasure in this journey.

And a great journey to read my friend thanks. Are you in love with that business for the long haul?

Because if sales are steady right now you could go ahead and take a lump sum exit and flip it to an investor. Then invest and have fun in your next project.

Not knowing the product I would still say you can match it to some type of complimentary product that already has established clientele and you have a joint venture together.

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
And a great journey to read my friend thanks. Are you in love with that business for the long haul?

Because if sales are steady right now you could go ahead and take a lump sum exit and flip it to an investor. Then invest and have fun in your next project.

Not knowing the product I would still say you can match it to some type of complimentary product that already has established clientele and you have a joint venture together.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I m in love and I d love to make living in this aera but I want to be lucid and not wasting too much time and money if it doesnt get enough traction. The second line is a complimentary product but I think it s bit too soon to launch it.
I m really bad in marketing and I d need some advices to do smthg more clever than posting and reaching out on FB and IG.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
I m really bad in marketing and I d need some advices to do smthg more clever than posting and reaching out on FB and IG.

You are on the right track.

"Knowing is half the battle."

Core Marketing is a must have and should be fully embraced and leveraged to max capacity. Along with the excellent contributions here perhaps there is a proven consultant you can tap into as well or at least their teachings via books etc. It all really comes down to the exact product and nature of that market for a well structured and creative marketing campaign.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Good luck. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Regarding FB & Instagram... In addition to any organic promotion on social media I would I would recommend using paid, targeted ads in the beginning rather than going the influencer route. That is assuming the audience targeting options available are relevant to your product (some niches/products can be tricky).

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
Good luck. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Regarding FB & Instagram... In addition to any organic promotion on social media I would I would recommend using paid, targeted ads in the beginning rather than going the influencer route. That is assuming the audience targeting options available are relevant to your product (some niches/products can be tricky).

If I rembember you are the australian beauty products seller? I think often about your thread ! thanks for your advice ;)

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
If I rembember you are the australian beauty products seller? I think often about your thread ! thanks for your advice ;)
I m promoting targeted ads and doing giveaway contests but it s not yet incredible.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia

Yes, that's correct & you're welcome. (I really should get around to updating my progress thread).

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
I m promoting targeted ads and doing giveaway contests but it s not yet incredible.

Obviously you don't want to give away too much about your product, but may I ask... is it something that people would just purchase once? Or is it something you can build repeat buyers around?

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
Sorry, I haven t seen your last reply. It s supposed to be product you buy once or twice every one or two years.

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
PPC is killing me now...it s a hard playground

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
How much does the product cost?

How long does it take for the product to be delivered from when its ordered by a customer?

How much capital do you have left for this project and do you have access to capital to scale up i.e if you find working solution do you have credit card to scale things up?

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
The launching price is 60 $...It should reach 70.
As I m in EU selling in US, it s fullfilled by Amazon..so it takes around 1 or 2 days. Yes I have capital to scale if needed..but my niche is really competitive even I have a great product.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
The launching price is 60 $...It should reach 70.
As I m in EU selling in US, it s fullfilled by Amazon..so it takes around 1 or 2 days. Yes I have capital to scale if needed..but my niche is really competitive even I have a great product.

What complimentary products goes well with your product?

Normally on Amazon it will show you "People that bought X, also bought these 2 other products".

So what really affordable thing (something under $10) compliments your product and $100+ product also goes well with your product.

For example with guns - there's gun holster, and gun safe.

Here are some physical products that people are promoting using this type of funnel.

-----------------------

I ask that because if you have a really good complimentary product, then you can build a funnel - give away that complimentary product at cost/break even/loss and make your money on the backend i.e upsells.

Check out this gig on fiverr.

Trust me, this stuff works. I used to promote one guy's physical product, and I'm pretty sure he made a killing because I generated him a sh*t ton of sale (because I wasn't the only guy promoting his offer), and he paid me like $20 on each product I GAVE AWAY- he just charged people shipping which was "just" $9.99.

He must have made the money back with upsells and his email series.

Check out this guy's thread on BHW.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM-RAMN_mgY

Last edited:

yomtov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2018
Waw! Thank you for all these precious informations. I m going to study this right now !

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Not sure about getting new followers but if you want engagements on IG, focus on your hashtags. I usually max out my remaining post space with hashtags with high use counts. I also link all my social media together when I post. The paid boosts also are a huge help.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
What complimentary products goes well with your product?

Normally on Amazon it will show you "People that bought X, also bought these 2 other products".

So what really affordable thing (something under $10) compliments your product and $100+ product also goes well with your product.

For example with guns - there's gun holster, and gun safe.

Here are some physical products that people are promoting using this type of funnel.

-----------------------

I ask that because if you have a really good complimentary product, then you can build a funnel - give away that complimentary product at cost/break even/loss and make your money on the backend i.e upsells.

Check out this gig on fiverr.

Trust me, this stuff works. I used to promote one guy's physical product, and I'm pretty sure he made a killing because I generated him a sh*t ton of sale (because I wasn't the only guy promoting his offer), and he paid me like $20 on each product I GAVE AWAY- he just charged people shipping which was "just" $9.99.

He must have made the money back with upsells and his email series.

Check out this guy's thread on BHW.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM-RAMN_mgY
Really look into this.

The idea is to get their email.
Discounts coupons, newsletter, free swag etc.
Basically get them into a loop.

This way you pay for PPC once. Then you can promote to them for free.
Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.