The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Books for becoming a better storyteller?

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I want to improve my writing as well as my storytelling.

I recently purchased Dreyer’s English but that deals more with grammar and punctuation.

What books would you recommend to improve my storytelling?

I want to capture an audience’s attention more.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
On Writing by Stephen King
How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method by Randy Ingermanson
How to Write a Dynamite Scene Using the Snowflake Method by Randy Ingermanson

I read a few more but none were as useful as these three titles, and out of these three, by far the best one is Stephen King's book. Other than that, I guess that the best thing you can do to improve your storytelling is to read as much of good fiction as you can (some bad fiction probably can help as well so you learn what to avoid) and then write a lot yourself.

Also, check the free Brandon Sanderson lectures:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ZDBOc2tX8&list=PLH3mK1NZn9QqOSj3ObrP3xL8tEJQ12-vL

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I want to improve my writing as well as my storytelling.

I recently purchased Dreyer’s English but that deals more with grammar and punctuation.

What books would you recommend to improve my storytelling?

I want to capture an audience’s attention more.

What kind of audience? There's different kinds of stories.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Robert McKee's "Story" is a classic. K.M. Weiland has some good books on plotting and character arcs. The "Save the Cat!" books are good for using a template approach. STC! is for movies, but a book for novels was recently released, which is weird because the guy died 10 years ago. A lot of book writers are using screenwriting books so they are forced to learn tight structure, with the extra benefit that whatever they write will already be optimized for a movie audience.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
The Art of Storytelling: From Parents to Professionals. Its from the Great Courses online book/dvd program. The professor is Hannah.. someone.. sorry.

This was the only book that directly addressed intonation, visualization, and cues in a way that made perfect sense to me. I do voices and tiny movements when I tell stories to give the perspective of the character. Strangers and friends tell me I should do voiceovers or YouTube, which is flattering, but what they don’t know is that until I read this book I didn’t tell stories at all. I read it so I could be better for my munchkins.

It helps to have kids. They’re a very forgiving audience. Lol

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
On Writing by Stephen King
How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method by Randy Ingermanson
How to Write a Dynamite Scene Using the Snowflake Method by Randy Ingermanson

I read a few more but none were as useful as these three titles, and out of these three, by far the best one is Stephen King's book. Other than that, I guess that the best thing you can do to improve your storytelling is to read as much of good fiction as you can (some bad fiction probably can help as well so you learn what to avoid) and then write a lot yourself.

Also, check the free Brandon Sanderson lectures:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ZDBOc2tX8&list=PLH3mK1NZn9QqOSj3ObrP3xL8tEJQ12-vL
This is great! I’m gonna check this out right now.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Robert McKee's "Story" is a classic. K.M. Weiland has some good books on plotting and character arcs. The "Save the Cat!" books are good for using a template approach. STC! is for movies, but a book for novels was recently released, which is weird because the guy died 10 years ago. A lot of book writers are using screenwriting books so they are forced to learn tight structure, with the extra benefit that whatever they write will already be optimized for a movie audience.
Interesting! I might have to buy this.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Interesting! I might have to buy this.

If you are going in to sales, McKee just wrote a book about story structure for sales. I have no idea if it is any good:

"Based on the hottest, most in-demand seminar offered by the legendary story master Robert McKee -- STORYNOMICS translates the lessons of storytelling in business into economic and leadership success."

People here also recommend several copy-writing books, such as "Cashvertising".

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
Greetings,
Any other book recommendations on copywriting for a nube? Yep, I'm late to the party, I just joined the forum = Donkey

John D.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Aug 26, 2016
In addition to everything above, my tip is to be more present in your day-to-day life. Pay attention to the situations happening around you.

There are stories unfolding around us each and every day - no matter how boring they seem at first. Your job is to tell them in an interesting way.

At the bar, in the elevator, in a DMV line... stay tuned-in to the conversations and the non-verbal interactions happening around you. You may pick up something you can use in your writings.

Then it's just a matter of applying the techniques you learn in the books.

Ever read Bukowski? The guy lived his books. His entire life was 'research' for them.

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
In addition to everything above, my tip is to be more present in your day-to-day life. Pay attention to the situations happening around you.

There are stories unfolding around us each and every day - no matter how boring they seem at first. Your job is to tell them in an interesting way.

At the bar, in the elevator, in a DMV line... stay tuned-in to the conversations and the non-verbal interactions happening around you. You may pick up something you can use in your writings.

Then it's just a matter of applying the techniques you learn in the books.

Ever read Bukowski? The guy lived his books. His entire life was 'research' for them.
Thank you Mr. D Naviand I have never read "Bukowski" on the list and thank you for the reply.

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
The Art of Storytelling: From Parents to Professionals. Its from the Great Courses online book/dvd program. The professor is Hannah.. someone.. sorry.

This is pretty expensive if you look at the Great Courses site but it is also available on Audible for a LOT less. Not sure how many credits because I paused my membership.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Currently reading Build a StoryBrand myself @Rawseed! Definitely helping me focus my brand and getting my wording to be way more clear.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Thank you Mr. D Naviand I have never read "Bukowski" on the list and thank you for the reply.

Heinrich's "poetry" was the ramblings of a violent drunk, but kicking his young groupie-heiress-meal-ticket was quite real.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.