The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bodybuilders - what do you measure

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Not a bodybuilder (not even close!) but have been focusing on gaining weight/muscle.

Up 17 pounds since I first started, same BF%. Got 25 pounds to go.

To check progress, I'll measure mainly weight and body fat %. But I also want to see where I'm growing, so I measure my arms, chest and thighs. I do this every week but I figured out that it's unnecessary to do it weekly: biweekly is better.

Am gonna keep an eye on this thread to see what other people are doing.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
3FD12.png

BodySpace FREE Online Fitness Community - Join Today!

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
1percent & theJ - is that bodyfat % from a calculator or a bodyfat scale, or one of those handheld bodyfat devices or ??????

Are you affiliated with bodyspace? or is that just who you use?

Arms = Biceps?

Anything else? Workout days? Time lifting?

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
HealthStatus...I see where you're going here...good idea.
I don't measure anymore, BUT I used to for years after I first began weight training.

1. Arms (bicepts) ...always
2. Chest
3. Shoulders
4. Waist
5. Quads

In my many years in the gym, I think this order is pretty common.
The competitive bodybuilders I know want to know measurements of 'lagging' body parts when they're building.
When dieting for a show, they want body fat percentage.

Don't know about 'when' they measure. Maybe before and after training ?
I also see a fair number of guys carry around the gym a notebook. Tracking weights, sets, reps, etc.

Are you thinking male only market ? ...or female too ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Don't know about 'when' they measure. Maybe before and after training ?

Muscles will swell after the workout. For instance after my Bicep/Tricep day I look like I have the arms of someone double my weight. This is because the blood flows to the muscles. Maybe this measure this anyways, but just a heads up the measurement after a workout, and for a day or so after won't always be accurate.

To the OP:

I don't competitively body build. I workout daily doing a number of different exercises, and I only measure the following:

For running:
- Stamina: How long it takes me to increase my breathing, and then how long until I get "fatigued" which is basically when I start to question stopping, and when my mood goes downhill.
- Speed: I time every run and test how fast my miles are, where I am lacking, and compete with myself. This obviously isn't accurate because there are other variables such as when I run, the heat, what I've eaten that day, what other things I did that day, etc.

For Lifting:
- Strength: I keep a notebook that records all the exercises I do in a given day including reps and weight. I don't measure the size of my muscles because my running makes my muscles very lean and cut. I consider my strength to be the weight I lift in each area, and how frequently I increase the weight.

For Abs/Core:
- Strength: How long I can hold a plank for, or how many russian twists I can do
- Endurance: How many sets of the abs or core I can do in one sitting

Probably not exactly what you were looking for, but it could be helpful for some!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
@healthstatus: calipers (the handheld plastic things). No it's not accurate but I only need to see changes, not actual numbers.

And I measure my arm's circumference, so biceps + triceps.

I was doing this weekly but now I do it biweekly

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
When I was 16 I used Bodyspace, then I said to hell with the arm measuring bullshit and started training for powerlifting competitions. Whatever kind of app you are planning to make, include a good 1RM calculator.

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
Assuming you're doing market research, BB.com and MyFitnessPal among others have a list of measurements and they're already very popular so check those :)

The biggest problem with measuring is there can be huge variance in water/blood content in the muscles (as mentioned) but also the exact route the tape measure takes. Eg when measuring waist/stomach, if you get the tape in the small of your back you'll get a lot lower reading than if the tape was an inch higher or lower.

What would be cool was a way of uploading pics to an app, then adjusting the size automatically based on a known constant (eye to eye for example) which makes all the pics the same (so only your body size changes) and then the app can compare pics?

I don't really bother with measurements these days, prefer to make a collage of progress pics to see the changes. An app like described I'd happily pay for :)

Just an idea :)

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Oh shit Health....that's golden ! I think people would eat that up.

People, including myself are always looking at someone and either out loud or in their heads say "Thats what I want to look like."

Why stop with celebrities? People have said to me many times "Your physique is what I'm shooting for". Everyday folks could upload their pics and stats so someone could choose them to model themselves after.

Seriously, I love it ! Fill the need of vanity. I've seen people transform their bodies, build confidence, then transform their lives.

You could tie Ina LOT of things with this.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Health... by the way, I've Been in the gyms and dojos for 30+ yrs.

Anthony_44

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Dec 5, 2012
North Carolina, USA
If a calculator worked out your proportions and compared them to famous people that we can get measures on would that interest you?

Probably not because I realize that often times once you reach a certain point genetics plays a HUGE roll in how you look.

Example, no matter how peeled I get there are people who's abs will look better at that same bf% just based on genetics.
You can't change the shape or layout of your abs.
or

Some people just have a blocky waist, and this makes it nearly impossible for them to get a proper taper within their torso. So no matter what a person looks like, I could work my whole life and not have their proportions.

Your idea might be something appealing for individuals who are just trying to get in shape though. People seem to REALLY enjoy talking about how they want to look like so and so, or want to know what so and so's workout is. I don't know how many people I saw at the gym doing the "300" workout so they could look like the guys in the movie.

Jun 22, 2012
Being a fitness freak I know that professional body builder measure their every part whether their right muscle parts is equal to their left muscle part, it’s about creating a plain road without any flaws in it. Also Body building is about measurements & size so get the right size be proportionate.

T14

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Sep 16, 2013
healthstatus

Like others here, I've been lifting weights for a long time, 12 years to be exact. Not ONCE have I ever taken a measurement. Well, maybe one time as an ego boost when I was 16 or so... which didn't do much to help my ego :)

I see several responses that talk about "proportion" and whether or not their body looks "proportionate". This is what I base my gains off of. If the weights go up, the body fat goes down and my body stays relatively proportionate- i am happy.

Maybe you can find some value in providing others with what actually IS proportionate. Actual measurements? What the body SHOULD look like...

Not sure if this helps at all. Just thinking out loud here.

quickdrawyall

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 8, 2013
Like Likwid said, I typically just measure the strength of my lifts. If my lifts get larger then so will I. I also just measure my arms occasionally for an ego boost :p

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Probably not because I realize that often times once you reach a certain point genetics plays a HUGE roll in how you look.

Example, no matter how peeled I get there are people who's abs will look better at that same bf% just based on genetics.
You can't change the shape or layout of your abs.
or

Some people just have a blocky waist, and this makes it nearly impossible for them to get a proper taper within their torso. So no matter what a person looks like, I could work my whole life and not have their proportions.

Your idea might be something appealing for individuals who are just trying to get in shape though. People seem to REALLY enjoy talking about how they want to look like so and so, or want to know what so and so's workout is. I don't know how many people I saw at the gym doing the "300" workout so they could look like the guys in the movie.

This, and alot of pro competitors are juicing. To answer the question though i mainly measure weight and bf % and sometimes arms for an ego boost. I dont really pay attention to celebrities bodies or anybody like that maybe zyzz i mainly focus on if my lifts are improving or if i look better.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
i mainly focus on if my lifts are improving or if i look better.

So would a time lapse photo element be cool? Maybe have some markers in the app to get you aligned the same....

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Love the photo time line idea... I know you said lapse.... But I'm thinking when you look at yourself daily, it's hard to see the progress from when you started. Pics worked into your plan or progress might be nice,

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
So would a time lapse photo element be cool? Maybe have some markers in the app to get you aligned the same....

The only thing about the time lapse is that there are a ton of factors you have to take in when taking progress photos. like lighting, or do you have a pump, did you just eat, are you retaining water etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.