• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

How do you measure opportunity cost?

Discussion in 'The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Mind' started by RayAndré, Aug 22, 2018.

1. RayAndré

RayAndré Dare to differ. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,423
    I've realized some of my analysis paralysis comes from weighing opportunity cost. With a few different ideas of what to do, I keep thinking about the potential of each one, and how if I pick and focus on one it will put the others on hold...which leaves me going nowhere.

For example, if I'm thinking between 1) invest in real estate, 2) learning copywriting to start offering it as a business, or 3) creating a new physical product/widget.

Of course, everything has pros and cons, but when faced with a few entirely different choices, how do you choose? How can you measure the opportunity cost of picking one and not the others?

Xeon likes this.
  2. Merging Left

Merging Left Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,528
    Well... you can do an EV analysis, right? Those three ideas are not the same. They will take a different initial investment, have a different return, and require a different amount of time, and contain a different amount of risk of failure/loss. Thus, the expected value of each of your ideas is likely quite a bit different. If you're emotionally indifferent to which one you run with, just pick the highest EV. Where will you get the most bang for your buck?

Billy at foreverjobless wrote a really great article on how to think about EV, in case you're not familiar with it.

Expected Value: Millionaire's Math

Xeon and RayAndré like this.
  3. RayAndré

RayAndré Dare to differ. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,423
    That's a great article @Merging Left , thank you!
    I've definitely been making many -EV choices...but with some +EV ones here and there :D
    I'll think this through, thanks!

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.