The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Beyond YouTube

bigbyte

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 9, 2013
So, it seems like my employment may come to an end and I see opportunity. Initially, I thought this is at least one year too early based on my original plan, but heck - would love your feedback. PS: I am 52, divorced (with the matching outgoing spousal support payment), have a 14 year old teenager and a dog both living with me 100%).

Original Plan
Back in late August 2020 I started a new Youtube channel in an area with good potential. I am professionally engaged in this field and have a lot of expertise to offer. I decided to do a LEAN approach for a MVP test. The niche has a few players with several hundred of thousands of subscribers, each player with a slight twist and my idea/area of expertise fits right in. So, I started making videos, minor growth, a few subscribers here and there. As with all things YT, you need some patience. I am now approaching 35-ish videos and growth is now in the 10-15 new subscribers per day consistently. My business model plan is a) monetize on YT (Adsense), b) use the paid community feature/Patreon for subscription income, c) offer free workshops and convert to paid workshops once established and value is shown, d) 1:1 coaching, e) write books, and f) offer free training videos with paid add-ons, g) Do the typical video sponsoring on the channel, h) partner with some complimentary 3rd party services in a supporting area/industry, i) there are even some affiliate marketing options available. I could add paid speaker gigs to the mix down the road. Based on current numbers I was looking at some time next year to convert from employment to go all in.

Updated Plan
My employer is acquired and my share equity will vest fully later this summer/fall when the acquisition is completed. After taxes I expect to have about $60K net profit from the equity + I assume a ~4 month severance + 5 weeks of vacation pay-out. This should last me about a year to 16-months if I would not reduce my cost of living. I am accounting for extra taxes. My current cost of living is about $6K per month (High cost area of living, mortgage, spousal support from divorce, etc.). I do have additional savings to add another 6-12 months. So, I am considering to go all in with YT and the related ideas for monetization.

On paper this sounds do-able, but of course I am wondering if this business plan is sound and solid?! It is an evergreen niche on YT and competitor videos go between 30K and 200K views over time. My competitors mostly make money from YT Adsense and fee-based add-on products related to their channel. Current feedback and interaction from my subscribers is very promising. People seem to love the content, interact with the videos (likes, comments, sharing). I have 22+ years of experience in this specific field of expertise and before I run out of content ideas the death valley would be filled with water all the way to top.

Is this solid? Please chime in.
But am I looking at monetization of this audience in the right way? I am not planning to do all of them in parallel. First I am focusing on reaching monetization level for YT itself. Build up a larger audience, offer free content, build up trust and reputation. I do expect $50/month/per 1000 subscribers (I run a small channel in a different area and that is what I am seeing there - I am using this number extremely conservative). Then add the workshops (2-hour workshops for for $99 - $199 per person - probably limiting it to 8-10 attendees in the beginning) and tweak it from the learnings. The next offer recordings of the workshops with some additional premium content in the paid community/Patreon and so on.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Alfie321

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2016
My take is build searchable evergreen content. This way you don't need to play the subscriber game and your income won't depend on releasing the next video.

I have been averaging $330-350 with 33k views per month at 3.2k subs

Most of my income comes from 3-4 videos that are evergreen and will probably keep making money for a few years.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So, it seems like my employment may come to an end and I see opportunity. Initially, I thought this is at least one year too early based on my original plan, but heck - would love your feedback. PS: I am 52, divorced (with the matching outgoing spousal support payment), have a 14 year old teenager and a dog both living with me 100%).

Original Plan
Back in late August 2020 I started a new Youtube channel in an area with good potential. I am professionally engaged in this field and have a lot of expertise to offer. I decided to do a LEAN approach for a MVP test. The niche has a few players with several hundred of thousands of subscribers, each player with a slight twist and my idea/area of expertise fits right in. So, I started making videos, minor growth, a few subscribers here and there. As with all things YT, you need some patience. I am now approaching 35-ish videos and growth is now in the 10-15 new subscribers per day consistently. My business model plan is a) monetize on YT (Adsense), b) use the paid community feature/Patreon for subscription income, c) offer free workshops and convert to paid workshops once established and value is shown, d) 1:1 coaching, e) write books, and f) offer free training videos with paid add-ons, g) Do the typical video sponsoring on the channel, h) partner with some complimentary 3rd party services in a supporting area/industry, i) there are even some affiliate marketing options available. I could add paid speaker gigs to the mix down the road. Based on current numbers I was looking at some time next year to convert from employment to go all in.

Updated Plan
My employer is acquired and my share equity will vest fully later this summer/fall when the acquisition is completed. After taxes I expect to have about $60K net profit from the equity + I assume a ~4 month severance + 5 weeks of vacation pay-out. This should last me about a year to 16-months if I would not reduce my cost of living. I am accounting for extra taxes. My current cost of living is about $6K per month (High cost area of living, mortgage, spousal support from divorce, etc.). I do have additional savings to add another 6-12 months. So, I am considering to go all in with YT and the related ideas for monetization.

On paper this sounds do-able, but of course I am wondering if this business plan is sound and solid?! It is an evergreen niche on YT and competitor videos go between 30K and 200K views over time. My competitors mostly make money from YT Adsense and fee-based add-on products related to their channel. Current feedback and interaction from my subscribers is very promising. People seem to love the content, interact with the videos (likes, comments, sharing). I have 22+ years of experience in this specific field of expertise and before I run out of content ideas the death valley would be filled with water all the way to top.

Is this solid? Please chime in.
But am I looking at monetization of this audience in the right way? I am not planning to do all of them in parallel. First I am focusing on reaching monetization level for YT itself. Build up a larger audience, offer free content, build up trust and reputation. I do expect $50/month/per 1000 subscribers (I run a small channel in a different area and that is what I am seeing there - I am using this number extremely conservative). Then add the workshops (2-hour workshops for for $99 - $199 per person - probably limiting it to 8-10 attendees in the beginning) and tweak it from the learnings. The next offer recordings of the workshops with some additional premium content in the paid community/Patreon and so on.
Can you start now by offering a low-ticket paid subscription and also higher-ticket consulting?

bigbyte

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 9, 2013
My take is build searchable evergreen content. This way you don't need to play the subscriber game and your income won't depend on releasing the next video.

I have been averaging $330-350 with 33k views per month at 3.2k subs

Most of my income comes from 3-4 videos that are evergreen and will probably keep making money for a few years.

Thank you for sharing those numbers. I am slightly below 400 subscribers with good trajectory on growth. Need to hit the 1K mark + 4K watch hours. I got about 10K views per month.

My content is in an evergreen area (career advice, interview techniques in a certain industry). So, that aligns with your suggestion/advice. I will push hard to break 1K subscribers and get monetized to have some sort of benchmarking. I should be able to get this done in time as the acquisition does not close before summer. Thanks again for you input and advice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bigbyte

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 9, 2013
Can you start now by offering a low-ticket paid subscription and also higher-ticket consulting?

Hm, need to think that through how that aligns with this niche. Based on the area I am in I would expect an average lifetime of a subscription to be 2-3 months at a time. I am in a career advice area for a certain industry. Job seekers, career changers, kids coming out of college looking for direction and guidance.

bigbyte

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 9, 2013
It sounds like a good plan. And the goals are pretty realistic. It's been 3 months since you posted. Any updates?
Yes, thank you for reminding me.

Update

Employment
I am still employed for now. The situation is sticky due to the acquisition of my employer. No decisions have been made and it looks like it'll take another 3-4 months before individual contributor roles are up for either being chopped or converted. So, I have a little bit more time on my hand.

Finances
My equity from vested shares is a bit higher than originally expected. I am sitting at $90K from shares (after taxes and capital gains) + $40K emergency fund + 5 weeks of accrued vacation which would be paid out. Based on my current cost of living (high cost area of living + spousal support after divorce included) I would be good for 18-20 months, potentially 2 years.

The Situation
At the moment I am coasting at work. Due to the acquisition, everything came to a grinding halt. I have maybe work for 3-4 hours per day. I am using the remaining extra time to work on my growing business. I have 2 YT channels - one monetized, the second one not just yet. One channel is at 4K subscribers, but a low CPM/Adsense niche. The second channel is at 1100 subscribers, but I am about 1,000 hours short of watch time before I can apply for monetization.

Channel 1: Fully monetized, bringing in about $60/month from Adsense. I started offering consulting for $150/hour and had the first customer. Still tweaking that service model.

Channel 2: About 80 videos uploaded. Still growing about 10-15 subscribers per day. Consulting offer designed and matching website 95% ready to go. More clarity on the business model, too. I will start offering 1:1 consulting and then offer 1-to-many workshops. Probably starting with $79/hour consulting and $49 for a workshop with 6-10 attendees. I am also working on turning this into an online course model - but that portion is slow. I want to run a few workshops first to better tweak the course content.

So, since my original posting I gained more clarity about how I envision the products and services that I want to offer. I was really busy until early May at employment work and since then I have more time to work on my own stuff. I do use the videos and related viewer comments to adjust as I ago - following the lean startup method. I now have more clarity which content gets a lot of views and viewers leave comments and questions. That helped with being able to zoom in and focus on a certain sub-niche in my area of expertise.

Depending on how things go at work I will attempt to engineer my layoff with a higher severance package and then go full-time. If I am able to coast consistently for a longer period of time I will do that, continue to collect my 6-figure salary, and grow the business a bit further before making the leap. But that really depends on if I can coast and if I can stand it to still work there. My original masterplan has me migrate away from employment work in early 2024 (several reasons/events in my life). Ideally, I will not burn through my savings and investments until then, so every month I still get paid is one step closer to early retirement from employment work and just working for myself on stuff that I enjoy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.