The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best places to run ads for ecommerce websites?

Marketing, social media, advertising

zavewithaz11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 19, 2021
Hi, I recently started an ecommerce website selling trendy items online. I decided to try to use Facebook/Instagram ads to increase traffic on my site. They ran for 5 days, I reached many people, had a few clicks to my link, but no buyers...My question is what are some other good and cost effective ways to bring traffic to a website like mine?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
There's not really any better advertising platforms for selling that sort of stuff online.

If you want specific and useful advice you'll need someone to look at the website, your ads and how you ran them, and the rest of your marketing strategy.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Hi, I recently started an ecommerce website selling trendy items online. I decided to try to use Facebook/Instagram ads to increase traffic on my site. They ran for 5 days, I reached many people, had a few clicks to my link, but no buyers...My question is what are some other good and cost effective ways to bring traffic to a website like mine?
Not getting clicks to your website doesn't necessarily mean facebook and instagram are a bad place to advertise for you. It most likely means that you need to improve your targeting (narrow down on who exactly your audience is. Who is most likely to buy from you?) and improve your ads to entice people to click. If your ad is just a picture of your product, that is not going to interest people. You need to show them why they need to click. Catch their attention. Give them an offer they can't refuse. Then you'll get clicks.

Test out your offer, your ads, and your audience. Ads take testing, you won't get it first try. It takes time, effort and money before you will get profitable.

D

Deleted78083

Also who are you selling to? That plays a lot.

My opinion: we're currently transitioning from one social media platform to another. The recent events (censorship, data abuse, etc) have disgusted many people from their regular social media platform, and they moved onto another.

I'd say now is the time to try out and advertise on the "new" platforms, which are not as crowded as the regular ones, and probably not as expensive either. Just my opinion.

PS: it sounds like you are doing dropshipping. Are you doing dropshipping?

zavewithaz11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 19, 2021
Also who are you selling to? That plays a lot.

My opinion: we're currently transitioning from one social media platform to another. The recent events (censorship, data abuse, etc) have disgusted many people from their regular social media platform, and they moved onto another.

I'd say now is the time to try out and advertise on the "new" platforms, which are not as crowded as the regular ones, and probably not as expensive either. Just my opinion.

PS: it sounds like you are doing dropshipping. Are you doing dropshipping?
Yes, I am doing dropshipping. I started one website and am hoping to start another for gathering email leads. This is why I am trying to gain knowledge about marketing platforms. What new platforms would you suggest consumers are moving onto?

zavewithaz11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 19, 2021
Not getting clicks to your website doesn't necessarily mean facebook and instagram are a bad place to advertise for you. It most likely means that you need to improve your targeting (narrow down on who exactly your audience is. Who is most likely to buy from you?) and improve your ads to entice people to click. If your ad is just a picture of your product, that is not going to interest people. You need to show them why they need to click. Catch their attention. Give them an offer they can't refuse. Then you'll get clicks.

Test out your offer, your ads, and your audience. Ads take testing, you won't get it first try. It takes time, effort and money before you will get profitable.
Thank you for the advice. My ad is a picture of one of my products. I will change this to something more attention-grabbing and hopefully see some improvement.

D

Deleted78083

Yes, I am doing dropshipping. I started one website and am hoping to start another for gathering email leads. This is why I am trying to gain knowledge about marketing platforms. What new platforms would you suggest consumers are moving onto?

My thoughts on dropshipping:

In 1997, one guy was building an e-commerce website and hesitated between selling products from his own warehouse or dropship them from his suppliers' warehouse.

After some deep thoughts about competition, added value, control, customer service, and reputation, he elected that dropshipping was not a good business model, and decided to import goods into his warehouse and ship them from there.

The guy's name was Jeff Bezos.

(I don't mean to discourage you, I think building a dropshipping website will teach you a lot of valued lessons. But I think it is an unsustainable poorly built business model).
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer to your question:

I don't know what you are selling neither who you are selling it to (I am not asking for it, keep your idea for yourself ;)). The whole world isn't on Facebook anymore.

If you're selling gardening tools for retired people, Facebook is great! If you're selling makeup for 14-year old girls, I'd suggest Snapchat or TikTok. If you're selling anti-Donald Trump t-shirts, try advertising on CNN or the New York Times (kidding).

The advertising platforms depend on the target of your product(s). Instagram for example, being the platform that it is, deals with beauty products because IG users use it to portray themselves in a way they are not ito render their followers jealous. When Kylie Jenner sells her beauty kit, she sells it on IG, not on MySpace.

Twitter is an intellectual battleground bloodier than WWI-Europe where everyone is insulting and blaming everything and everyone for their own sorrow constantly.

Pinterest has an unusual number of food pictures.

So...yeah.

zavewithaz11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 19, 2021
My thoughts on dropshipping:

In 1997, one guy was building an e-commerce website and hesitated between selling products from his own warehouse or dropship them from his suppliers' warehouse.

After some deep thoughts about competition, added value, control, customer service, and reputation, he elected that dropshipping was not a good business model, and decided to import goods into his warehouse and ship them from there.

The guy's name was Jeff Bezos.

(I don't mean to discourage you, I think building a dropshipping website will teach you a lot of valued lessons. But I think it is an unsustainable poorly built business model).
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer to your question:

I don't know what you are selling neither who you are selling it to (I am not asking for it, keep your idea for yourself ;)). The whole world isn't on Facebook anymore.

If you're selling gardening tools for retired people, Facebook is great! If you're selling makeup for 14-year old girls, I'd suggest Snapchat or TikTok. If you're selling anti-Donald Trump t-shirts, try advertising on CNN or the New York Times (kidding).

The advertising platforms depend on the target of your product(s). Instagram for example, being the platform that it is, deals with beauty products because IG users use it to portray themselves in a way they are not ito render their followers jealous. When Kylie Jenner sells her beauty kit, she sells it on IG, not on MySpace.

Twitter is an intellectual battleground bloodier than WWI-Europe where everyone is insulting and blaming everything and everyone for their own sorrow constantly.

Pinterest has an unusual number of food pictures.

So...yeah.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. You are right about the need for choosing the right platforms for the product that I am attempting to sell. Because I sell items that are for a younger age-range, I think I will try to make ads in platforms that are dominated by younger people to match those ranges. What is a simple detail that you can throw into your website to increase your chances of turning clickers into buyers?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Google Ads? Google Shopping Ads can work particularly well for eCommerce.

D

Deleted78083

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You are right about the need for choosing the right platforms for the product that I am attempting to sell. Because I sell items that are for a younger age-range, I think I will try to make ads in platforms that are dominated by younger people to match those ranges. What is a simple detail that you can throw into your website to increase your chances of turning clickers into buyers?
Your copy must be on point.

Good luck!

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
As @mon_fi said, TikTok might be not saturated option right now.
(Although it don't know how people there are spending money, if at all)

You might try Influencer marketing - start with smaller ones.

As for copy, make it easy for them to buy.
Call to action, some good headline and 3-bullets points in description.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I have an Ecom store and I have tried everything.

Facebook ads, Instagram ads, Snapchat ads worked best for me as my store is a fashion brand and they like to see the visuals.

Tried Google ads and couldn't get one sale but that was for my business with massive competition and little brand awareness aswell.

You can also try Infleuncers on Insta, Tik Tok and YouTube.

Set up your email and text flows via Klaviyo. That was big for us last and brought in about 40% of our sales.

I also dropshipped for a year, if you're doing it from China, then in my opinion, you should change it asap.

frenki

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 3, 2020
albania
If you have 500usd to speed up the process I'd say get Reece Wabara Ebook.

He literally breaks down how he scaled "Maniere De Voir" his Ecom brand to 100 million turn over using just Facebook Ads.

If you don't have the means to invest now.

Watch this :
View: https://youtu.be/AAQUKCZyBTM

Key Tips from me:

Frequency matters make sure to have atleast 5+ frequency (People need to get familiar with your product before they pull the trigger)

Make a lot of ad sets with just one variable changing (like age) some 18-28 / 29-38 / 39-50 (scale winners, eliminate losers)

Keep clean native creatives (no designs)
It shouldn't look like an ad

Also don't move from Facebook it's the best medium for Ecom don't quit on the first "Swing"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.