The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best laptop for work under $500?

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I plan to buy new

Yes, and all new pre-built/store-bought computers come with junk on them. Not viruses, but certainly Bloatware and Malware from 3rd party companies.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Basically, Lenovo has been slammed as there has been a specific kind malware found pre-installed by them, and only found on their computers.

However, ANY PRE-PURCHASED COMPUTER will come with spyware and bloatware on it to some degree, but Lenovo seems to have taken it up a level.

In conclusion, there is no problem with buying a Lenovo computer as long as you have someone that can remove the junk off of it for you.
I do that every time I reformat my machine. Games I never play, some CD cover creator software, etc... Though I don't always know what to delete. Some of it I am wondering about. Mostly HP, Cisco, and Cyberlink. Makes me wish I had a separate disk so I didn't have to rely on the recovery partitions. Perhaps I'll do that once Windows 10 comes out.

That said, quick question, if you don't mind?

This laptop once had a warranty on it. Well, the backlight blew out on it once, so it was taken up to wherever and they were supposed to replace it, but ended up just replacing the screen anyway. From what I was able to figure out, the backlight is just a bulb. Apparently after they did that, the warranty was killed because of replacing a screen. I know it was just the backlight, as shining a lamp into the screen still showed everything was up and running, just no light to see it on the dark screen. They also went so far as to install some nonsense software on it. Diagnostic stuff, or something. Seems crazy to go that far just for a bulb needing to be replaced. Testing the light should have been as simple as turning the laptop on and see if it works?

So did my family and I get scammed / ripped off? Or is it really procedure to just replace the whole screen?

Thanks.

Aidan

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
This laptop once had a warranty on it. Well, the backlight blew out on it once, so it was taken up to wherever and they were supposed to replace it, but ended up just replacing the screen anyway. From what I was able to figure out, the backlight is just a bulb. Apparently after they did that, the warranty was killed because of replacing a screen. I know it was just the backlight, as shining a lamp into the screen still showed everything was up and running, just no light to see it on the dark screen. They also went so far as to install some nonsense software on it. Diagnostic stuff, or something. Seems crazy to go that far just for a bulb needing to be replaced. Testing the light should have been as simple as turning the laptop on and see if it works?

So did my family and I get scammed / ripped off? Or is it really procedure to just replace the whole screen?

Usually, an extended service plan and/or manufacture warranty will guarantee that your computer will remain functional throughout the period of that term. If there are dysfunctional parts that naturally die, it should (normally) be serviceable under the policy and would not render the warranty void after that one repair.

The reason why they would have performed Diagnosis, Software Analysis, etc. Is to ensure that the Backlight is the only problem. It would be pointless replacing the backlight if it was actually the Motherboard causing the issue in the first place. It may seem overboard, but it's standard procedure for any hardware repair.

These days, many computer parts are manufactured as one whole piece together. If your Backlight and Display Panel are one entire unit, then they would have had to replace that entire unit.

I can not speak for the software they installed though, without knowing the name of It I couldn't say.

I find that odd that the service plan was void after replacing the screen, but the policy of the plan really depends on where you purchase the Computer. I think the specific warranty you got was fairly bad (but if you paid next to nothing for it then it's fair; screen repairs aren't cheap)

I know that Best Buy has a very good policy (with Geek Squad) for instance (they call it the 'No-Lemon' Policy): If the computer has a fourth major hardware issue within their extended warranty (so if it is your fourth time bringing the computer in the store for service), you are eligible for a brand new computer equal to the value of what your computer cost when you originally purchased it. Also, within that same plan you can have the hardware repaired/replaced for any naturally occurring issue.

I believe Staples also has a pretty decent policy for their computer warranties.

Also, under many service plans, batteries usually aren't covered as they are a 'consumable' item.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Usually, an extended service plan and/or manufacture warranty will guarantee that your computer will remain functional throughout the period of that term. If there are dysfunctional parts that naturally die, it should (normally) be serviceable under the policy and would not render the warranty void after that one repair.

The reason why they would have performed Diagnosis, Software Analysis, etc. Is to ensure that the Backlight is the only problem. It would be pointless replacing the backlight if it was actually the Motherboard causing the issue in the first place. It may seem overboard, but it's standard procedure for any hardware repair.

These days, many computer parts are manufactured as one whole piece together. If your Backlight and Display Panel are one entire unit, then they would have had to replace that entire unit.

I can not speak for the software they installed though, without knowing the name of It I couldn't say.

I find that odd that the service plan was void after replacing the screen, but the policy of the plan really depends on where you purchase the Computer. I think the specific warranty you got was fairly bad (but if you paid next to nothing for it then it's fair; screen repairs aren't cheap)

I know that Best Buy has a very good policy (with Geek Squad) for instance (they call it the 'No-Lemon' Policy): If the computer has a fourth major hardware issue within their extended warranty (so if it is your fourth time bringing the computer in the store for service), you are eligible for a brand new computer equal to the value of what your computer cost when you originally purchased it. Also, within that same plan you can have the hardware repaired/replaced for any naturally occurring issue.

I believe Staples also has a pretty decent policy for their computer warranties.

Also, under many service plans, batteries usually aren't covered as they are a 'consumable' item.
I didn't take the laptop in, it was my parents. They are also the ones who purchased it, so I couldn't tell you the details of the warranty or where they took it for replacement.

I'm going to assume the warranty was just cheap / bad, then.

Thank you for your input, and I'll have to keep that bit on Geek Squad in mind.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
@Aidan is it stuff I can just easily uninstall and clean out like anything else? Some people made it seem like it was hell and they returned the computer all together. If so, I will probably get a Lenovo. Seems like they are pretty powerful and and the price is in my range as well.

I was looking at this one specifically:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K6ZIFAQ/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Aidan

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
@Aidan is it stuff I can just easily uninstall and clean out like anything else? Some people made it seem like it was hell and they returned the computer all together. If so, I will probably get a Lenovo. Seems like they are pretty powerful and and the price is in my range as well.

I was looking at this one specifically:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K6ZIFAQ/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

People like to exaggerate. The name of the Malware is "Superfish", and Lenovo even provides the uninstallation tool for it:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/superfish_uninstall

That laptop is pretty expensive, but if you absolutely need it, then go for it. Just make sure you get proper hardware coverage on it for 3 years. Wherever you buy it from, don't feel rushed, and read through that coverage policy so you know what coverage you are getting for your money.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
You should always buy a laptop from Newegg.com they are the cheapest and best performance, you are just sacraficing brand name.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
@AllenCrawley @Vigilante @MJ DeMarco

Did you guys edit my link in post #65? I originally linked to amazon, not ebay. This same thing has happened to other links I've posted also. Just wondering.

Thanks for the laptop suggestions everyone

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
@AllenCrawley @Vigilante @MJ DeMarco

Did you guys edit my link in post #65? I originally linked to amazon, not ebay. This same thing has happened to other links I've posted also. Just wondering.

Thanks for the laptop suggestions everyone
Not me and not sure why Vig or MJ would do so. I checked the edit history and it doesn't show any edits.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.