The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best Laptop for Enterpreneurs?

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

OkLetsGo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 14, 2022
Hello guys,

I think we were all at that point where our current working device got old and slow, and so we made the decision to get a new one. This can be a big step for some people who don't have much money since they'll probably be working with that device for the next few years. I made this post so that people can talk about their experiences using different devices and so that other fellow entrepreneurs can avoid mistakes and follow good advice. So, let the rant begin.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Edoardo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 31, 2022
Unless you do heavy end stuff or are able to afford for a couple grand, I'd suggest you the cheapest laptop.

Turtlecopter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 28, 2023
Hello guys,

I think we were all at that point where our current working device got old and slow, and so we made the decision to get a new one. This can be a big step for some people who don't have much money since they'll probably be working with that device for the next few years. I made this post so that people can talk about their experiences using different devices and so that other fellow entrepreneurs can avoid mistakes and follow good advice. So, let the rant begin.
I have absolutely no experience in business as of today, but on hardware knowledge I would say I have done my due diligence. I definitely second Edoardo's opinion, new models even the budget ones can do the basic tasks at a very fast rate. Unless you're running complicated coded full blown apps, or are into CAD design, Illustration, Animation or Editing business, you don't need a powerhouse. Make sure it has SSD type storage, other than that any new piece should be ok.

OkLetsGo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 14, 2022
I have absolutely no experience in business as of today, but on hardware knowledge I would say I have done my due diligence. I definitely second Edoardo's opinion, new models even the budget ones can do the basic tasks at a very fast rate. Unless you're running complicated coded full blown apps, or are into CAD design, Illustration, Animation or Editing business, you don't need a powerhouse. Make sure it has SSD type storage, other than that any new piece should be ok
Thanks for the answers. What´s your guys opinion on Mac vs. Windows devices?

ChocolateFactory

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 2, 2023
Thanks for the answers. What´s your guys opinion on Mac vs. Windows devices?
Use what you have the most experience with. If you're a Windows user, don't buy a Mac, and vice versa. One isn't any better than the other, they're just different.

If you want to go for a Windows machine and you're short on money, you may want to consider a refurbished Thinkpad. They are very good PCs and if for standard use, a PC that's a couple years old will still be more than good enough for you, while costing significantly less than a new machine. I wouldn't recommend that with cheap brands, but with Thinkpads you can do it, and you'll also always find spare parts.
It's like buying a new Honda Civic vs. a used Mercedes. You just get better build quality, a better keyboard, etc., and you may end up paying just $300 or so. You may be able to find a new PC for $300, but it would be all plastic-y and cheap quality. That said, even the new $300 PC would likely be good enough for standard light use.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
I was a Windows user until a month ago when I bought a new Mac, and the biggest change was the battery. With my windows I had to be connected to the charger almost all the time, with miserable battery life. Now I am not saying that all windows laptops have bad batteries but from experience that was the case.

I could go to a cafe after work and not worry if I will have a socket or not.
I could go to the lounge area of my office building and write emails.
Hell, I can even go work in a park if I wanted to.

If you are going to be working from home or in an office all the time then I guess it's not a big deal but you have an option to do so. I had to go to the office and come back home and carrying all that luggage is cumbersome, especially after work when I need to set up everything so I can begin work. it's just putting the cables in but it's annoying to have to set it up just so I have to pack it up in the morning after a long day. With Mac I just start. I charge it once a day if that.

Other than that, I like the premium feel of the UI and I just feel more productive with it. Maybe since my Windows was my everything laptop including entertainment and gaming previously, but this is just my work laptop.

As stated above look into Thinkpads, they are great, but if you have money for a Mac and feel the need for a good battery, look into those. From what my colleagues showed me, they last a lifetime and I am personally pretty happy with them, even though they are far from perfect. If you want to do heavy lifting go with Windows 100%. I am a web developer and it can handle my processes but I wouldn't recommend mac for heavy programs.

ChocolateFactory

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 2, 2023
Some newer Macs have outstanding battery life, but you can also get this with some of the new AMD processors.
It's easy to say "Macs have better battery life" when there are like 5 Mac models on the market, vs. thousands of Windows models.
If you're not used to using a Mac, it can absolutely kill your productivity. I would strongly advise switching if you're used to Windows and want to be productive. Just buy a Windows PC with good battery life if you care about that.

That said, Macs are of course fine if you're used to the UI. But they're not better or worse than Windows PCs.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
If you're not used to using a Mac, it can absolutely kill your productivity. I would strongly advise switching if you're used to Windows and want to be productive. Just buy a Windows PC with good battery life if you care about that.
It more than doubled my productivity and I used Windows for 95% of my life, even though I was in no way used to the UI. Working on this system is a joyful experience for me which doesn't mean it will be for you. It's personal preference.

That being said, I couldn't care less what system people use. I own both systems. If you as a person still care or fight about what system people use, you should get a grip on reality.

Objectively, more often than not, Macs have better batteries - there are great laptops that use Windows and have fantastic battery life, I remember looking at a Thinkpad that had a great battery, was around $3k so it was out of my budget, but Im sure there are cheaper options.

Objectively, more often than not, Windows has better performance and is cheaper. My colleague had problems launching Chrome on his 13 Air ( I had no problems with this ) and as previously stated, they're not made for heavy lifting. It comes down to what you do on it.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
It took me a few tries at switching but once I finally stuck through the learning switching to mac was the best thing I did for productivity and quality of life

I started my business on like I think a 2015 MacBook Air possibly older and honestly I could probably still run it on there now

You can’t say that about many windows machines

Now I have an apple studio display and a MacBook Pro and the experience is well worth how overpriced both are

So yeah, I’d just buy the best used MacBook I could if I was on a budget

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I agree with @perchboy(mental masturbation). Anything will work. Buy what you can afford.

If you're actually 'working' on something you'll know what's important to you and what your current system is lacking. This will influence your purchase decision and is a personal choice.

Like @ugudango said, he values the improved battery life. (The latest MacBook Air has an amazing battery life)
@MitchC values the display and feels the Mac OS aligns with his productivity needs better.

Buy what's right for you, both in terms of features, workflow and budget.

#Landfill

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.