The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best hobbies for disconnecting from the hustle?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jdes91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Oct 5, 2020
What do you guys do for hobbies to re-charge your brain? Is it better to stay away from passive leisure like video games and TV and focus more on creative stuff like books and playing music? I love playing guitar, and I'm guessing its a good idea to do things that challenge your neural connections (Sudoku, Guitar, Puzzles etc...)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
Fitness - p90x3, t25 (honestly bcs of lack of time :)) + the brainy apps - learning Japanese on Duolingo, then math, speaking, writing, reading - been training with Elevate Your brain app for the past few weeks and it's a lot of fun!

backslash

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jul 3, 2018
Norway
I read or listen to philosophy. Lots of great thinkers even though they lived hundreds or thousand years ago. It gives me lots of deep understanding of the world.

Podcast "Philosophize this" does a great chronological walk-through from the ancient Greeks up until today's post modernism. It has a lot of "gold" :)

Harbourmaster

If it is to be, it's up to me.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Mar 2, 2017
Canada
For me, fitness. And tennis, I’m hooked on it. Brain is refreshed and ready to go after a good sweat. Lots of endorphins released and a competitive outlet (tennis).

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A perilous ride through the desert... :smile:IMG_0124.JPG

B_Mac

Redneck Oligarch
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Apr 10, 2017
Southwest Virginia
Fishing, mycology, clay target shooting, numismatics, old glass bottle collecting.

Not sure it’s a “hobby,” but I enjoy doing DIY things around the house. Built a deck this summer, replaced a condensate pump on our HVAC recently, built shelves in the building, new toilet installed. Im not perfect at it, but it’s a bit of a challenge to fix things for the first time. And I’m a tool whore, so I use it as an excuse to buy new tools.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Homebrewing - It's fun, it's relaxing, there's a heap to learn (and buy - it's a slippery slope) and the end result is beer
Smoking Meat - Similar reasons to above.
Camping
Reading
Freshwater Aquariums
Mountain Biking
Hiking
Meditation

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Movement is a really big one for me - yoga (yin, vinyasa, modo), gymnastics (acrobatics, balance, aerial silk, agility, calisthenics), martial arts like capoeira, jiu-jitsu, muay thai, dance (kizomba, contemporary, acrobatic dance)

Music is amazing - listening to symphonies, live bands, auditory enhancing experiences and exhibits, nature (water, wind, life), vocal performances, etc.

Seeing is really sick - visual stimulation via colors, adventuring in nature, exploring in the dark, museums and exhibits, sightseeing, wandering into new areas, creating relationships with the world.

Film and photography is really fun - you just need an eye for things. Which means you need to not feel rushed, and just play around. Piecing together film in post is also a lot of fun. Blending graphics, music, timing, effects, etc. Can be a lot of creative fun.

Botany is fascinating - a look into traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) across Google scholar will fascinate you as to the number of ancient healing potions available and their clinical studies in the 21st century quantifying and demonstrating effective healing powers. Maybe you can get into plants and understanding our relationship with other biological systems.

Just start looking at the world, and you'll find infinite variety and opportunities to engage in. What helps to engage in and practice more of what you love is courage, faith in yourself, belief and a sense of belonging, and a continuous battle against fear.

Martzee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 6, 2020
Denver, Colorado, United States
What do you guys do for hobbies to re-charge your brain? Is it better to stay away from passive leisure like video games and TV and focus more on creative stuff like books and playing music? I love playing guitar, and I'm guessing its a good idea to do things that challenge your neural connections (Sudoku, Guitar, Puzzles etc...)
I read books or watch documentaries which have something I can learn.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yoga, coloring (or drawing/painting), volunteering, doing chores mindfully (mindfully is the keyword here), taking a nap and not feeling guilty, gardening, sports (played by yourself, not watching), biking, taking a class on anything (nothing stressful with a lot of homework and the like), maybe a workshop rather than a class.

Note: If you get puzzles or something don't get word search. I got a book and I already did the first one with a bunch of periodic table elements in less than 10 min. Note that it said it was supposed to be difficult searches. Nope. I read too fast and find the words super easily. :/

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
A couple of years ago, breakdancing was huge for me. A leg injury stopped that. Nowadays it’s working out, fishing, reading/listening to books, going to different cafe’s with friends, and sometimes drinking by the river and eating fried chicken with friends. Biking is also a really big one for me. I love biking!

JDE

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 11, 2017
Edmonton
I find that if I do too many brainy activities in one sitting my concentration will begin to decline to the point I can't even think or see straight anymore.

The best ways I've found to recharge in a short period of time (under 30 min) are -

1. Running (it's almost like doing a complete reset on your mental capacity, particularly if you run outside rather than on a treadmill)
2. Gaming (gets a bad rap but 15 min of a super engaging video game like Call of Duty or any other intense / alert game can snap my mind out of a concentration rut in no time)

If I've got more like 1-2 hours my top ones are -

1. Sports (tennis, biking, squash, ping pong)
2. Hanging out with friends / laughing / having fun (this is getting more and more rare but the level of clarity and mental alertness you get after an evening of smiling so much your face hurts and crying w laughter is untouchable - not the best year for this though lol)

General rules of thumb are that the more that the activity involves physical activity, the more fun it is, and the more you can get caught up in it to the point where you lose track of time the more effective the activity can be in doing a reset on your mental clarity and concentration.

m1nu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 11, 2020
Switzerland
For me it's sports and taking walks.
One major key is also: don't read something business related before sleeping. It just keeps your mind working and doesn't allow you to disconnect for a few hours from your business. Better read something like fiction or a interesting biography.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

I lift weights or watch a TV series episode to disconnect.

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
Great topic, i think that this so important for the long run. Some moments you have to work a lot, but this is not healthy for al very long time. So you have to relax and work on your fitness and mind also.

My hobbies are....

1602229215360.png

Thai Boxing
Fitness
Gaming (is also improtant for our buseniss ;)---- EXECUTION - An Educational Business In The Gaming And Esports Industry
Fishing (only when the weather is good ...)
Techno Music
Reading and documentaries

EXECUTION - An Educational Business In The Gaming And Esports Industry

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Surfing and open water swimming. You can't take your phone with you and that helps a lot to disconnect.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Dirt bike riding,
Mountain bike riding,
Rock climbing.

In former times I tried to get WingTsun perfection, but my mind changed towards peacefulness. Someday I couldn’t find anymore sense on it.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Chess at lichess.com there's always someone there to play with.

Rarehelge

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 19, 2023
Norway
Hiking and enjoying time in nature has always been my go-to for «relaxing». It’s an easy and calm way of spending time with your thoughts :)

Iron Wolf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 18, 2024
What works super well for me is
  • drive with the car
  • sauna
  • swimming
  • driving my bike (homebike)
  • reading manga/manwha
  • playing chess
  • drawing a picture (usually with the numbers and you just fill in the color)
  • sleeping with my partner

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.