The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION An Educational Business In The Gaming And Esports Industry

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Koenz

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Hello everyone,

I often find myself being inspired early morning by reading execution threads on TFF after my alarm goes off. I already had the idea of starting my own thread for a while and today is the day. I'll do my best to provide you with lessons I'm learning, some golden nuggets, insights in mistakes and things that went well, and more.

If you want to know more about the industry that I'm in, please jump over to my thread ''AMA - Ask me anything about the esports/gaming industry (14+ years experience)''. I try to answer your questions as good as I can.

When do I post updates
If there's interesting things happening during the week, I'll write these down immediately. Else, I update you on Sundays.

Who am I?
Please read my (long) introduction story by clicking here.
In short:
I'm part of the gaming and esports industry for 14 years now. Started as a professional player myself, eventually turning TV-host, speaker, founding member of the athletes commission of the International Esports Federation and entrepreneur. Used to be a medical master student, but quit my studies to follow my passion in 2018.

In 2020 I stopped being a host on TV due to time. I preferred putting time in my business and focus, instead of doing to many things at the same time. Focussing is a lesson I had to learn in time. I did W, X, Y, Z in the past and had quite some appointments in my agenda for all sorts of stuff. In July 2019 I spoke on a radio-station for 45 minutes (click here for the interview (dutch)) and at the end (minute 42) the host says: ''maybe I don't see the focus, but is there a focus?'' And I answered this with ''Well, my focus is esports and gaming. It's a big industry and I make sure to be part of many different things'' hahah. Oh boy, only at the end of 2019 I understood why he asked that and said that. His question always hunted me. And nowadays, I can't agree more with him. I got rid of things that caused me to move away from my focus, which includes hosting on TV and other stuff.

So, what is my focus
My focus is helping parents to repair, retain or reinforce the relationship with their gaming children. This is currently done through a free online training, online courses, a multi-week program and books. In the future we can hopefully organize some events as well to meet our community. We currently have 567 members in our facebook community since launching this business officially in June.

The 'why' is the story with my mom. Read my long introduction to know more. The fun thing is that sometimes, the answer of what to focus on is right in front of you but you simply don't see it. Since 2016 I gave workshops and presentations for parents. Great fun. Also wrote a book for parents in 2017, which caught the eye of a famous bestselling publisher in the Netherlands and will now be published on the 1st of October 2020. The book changed completely, it's A LOT better. But the initial idea started in 2017. At the beginning of 2019 I thought of the business that launched in June this year. Lastly, I was a medical student with a passion to help people.

Only at the end of 2019 I really started to focus on parents with gaming children after taking some time to think about the past years and seeing this trend. After noticing it, I made quick decisions and changed things quickly. It's not easy saying no to things, but it was necessary. But yea, I never really saw all these little signs that I should've focussed on parents and gaming children earlier than the end of 2019. Looking back it was pretty obvious.

My current activities:
1. Helping parents with gaming children --> focus
2. Speaking (inter)nationally--> good source of quick income and always good to get your brand and activities in front of many eyes.
3. Board member and vice chair of the athletes & players commission of the Global Esports Federation (GEF) --> doesn't take much time and it really increases my network, speaking opportunities (currently spoke at AI For Good Summit and upcoming week at All That Matters conference) and possibilities for my business with parents a lot. Once we translate our website and courses, GEF would like to cooperate on a global level.
4. Work with businesses on strategy or campaigns, only when time and if it's interesting. So this is more like a bonus. Currently no projects running.

Current status of the business
Team:
3 people. I met 2 people in 2019 and after many meetings and months we decided to jump on this together. So far, great stuff. One is a 45-year old family therapist specialized in autism and gaming. I got TMF from him, and that's the reason I'm on the forum :) He has also read Unscripted. The other one is a 40-year old entrepreneur that's build 2 succesfull businesses in the 'helping families and children' related industry. He has many connections with municipalities.
Total income: € 3608,30 (incl) --> gotta say we all have other sources of income as well and keep this money on the bankaccount to invest in building the company.
Focus: get advertisements up and running, directing people to a webinar with a call to action to our products or a call. Our calls are not about selling the highest program. We listen to the prospect and try to think of the best course that can help him/her out. We work with an agency that's owned by someone I know. The deal is that for every sale that comes through the funnel, he gets 10%.
Biggest doubt: the prices. I've checked the popular thread about pricing here and did research online. Not easy to think about the value of a course. I'm positive though that we are really low. We have high quality video's including a layout with webcam, exercises and summary sheets and a facebook group. We do hear from customers we provide a lot of value for the money. Our small courses are currently 20 euros, a bundle of our theorybook, workbook and a hobbybook (with 130 hobby's listed and some tips) goes for 97, and the 6-week program for 500. I want to test higher prices before my book will be launched on the 1st of October so that people that come to our site will see new prices. It would be a good test to see if people buy them or not. Thinking about going to prices of other family-related courses, like between 97 - 197 euros for the smaller courses.

What happened before the launch #start-before-you're-ready
We only launched in June, but in april I got impatient and wanted to test the target audience. We only had the bundle of books, no small courses or a program. We only had these in our minds and partly on paper. So, I made a webinar with CTA to a free call, posted it in a few facebook groups with parents and tried it. We got 24 calls after a couple of webinars, and closed 30% (products at that time being either €500, €300, €97) resulting in €2313,95. We were happy and this also meant we had to get start making the 6-week program. In the first call we started with 1500 euros for the 6-week program, after 3 we went down to 500 or 300. I realize we didn't test the 1500 enough, but at least we got some people in the program and are able to see how things go and get feedback.

When we launched we got in the national media through connections I have. Therefore we got a few sales. Since that moment, the focus was 100% on making all the content for the different smaller courses (4 - 8 hours) and the multi-week program we got, not really on getting new clients. Just finished with the first version of the program on the 31st of august. We have a low daily amount of people checking the site and sometimes sell something but nothing spectacular. People are only able to get into the program by calling us by the way.

Enjoy the ride and I look forward exchanging messages with you all!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016
My focus is helping parents to repair, retain or reinforce the relationship with their gaming children.
Was reading your AMA thread and here.
Advice below might sound like its trolling but i assure its not.

So here it goes:
Let them play together.

OP
OP
Koenz

Koenz

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Sunday - 13th of September

Income last week: €60 (Parents) + €1275 (other) = €1335
Focus last week: a presentation, a pitch, coaching, a questionnaire and marketing

Presentation & Pitch
Gave a presentation last monday for a €300-million business. Had a 2 hour timeslot and was allowed to attend the dinner afterwards.

During the presentation I showed a video of a project I've done in the past with Vodafone, which had to do with parents and children. The CEO immediately asked if I can make a pitch about this for last Friday. He saw potential in running this concept for TV and last Friday he had a meeting with the CEO of a big media business in the Netherlands.

I gave the pitch which went really well. Short and to-the-point with some questions afterwards. The CEO of the media company said it's quite a niche and didn't yet see it as a opportunity for TV. However, the people from the business that made me do this pitch are still very supportive and see potential, so we'll talk about it next week again.

Coaching
I always stay during presentations, when allowed, and during conferences etc. Always good to do some networking and answer any remaining questions.

During the dinner on monday, after my presentation, there was a spot free next to the CEO of the company so I, of course, took that spot. Great conversation eventually leading to me figuring out that he has a foundation where he's coaching startups. I immediately got interested in him coaching me as well. He build multiple businesses and now this 300 million one. He had fails and successes, so great stuff to learn. I mentioned I'm looking for a businesscoach for a while already (true though, was looking for it). He mentioned that if it's each 2-3 months, he would be able to coach me and that it would be good to first have a meeting next week. So, I have it on thursday. Looking forward.

Giving a presentation or not, I always advise to stick around and talk to people. You never know what people will remember, or what might happen because you connect with people.

Good tip from experience:
Something else I always do is, when I'm part of a meeting where I don't give a presentation but I'm in the audience, I always ask a question at the end. Not only because I'm curious and have a question, but also because you'll often have to shortly introduce yourself. Therefore, everyone in the audience immediately knows your name and what you do. This might lead to people approaching you afterwards, even when you weren't a speaker.

Questionnaire
Due to doubt about prices I made a questionnaire for all the parents in our Facebook group. I also emailed all customers since June personally. I will give my own book, that will be published on the 1st of october, away for free to 1 person. I used the following questions:
1. General stuff like gender and age
2. First impression of the business and the website
3. What course they followed, whats good about it, what can be improved
4. What they think is the value of the course they followed (to compare what they think with the current prices)
5. What they think about the facebook community and if they want to write a testimonial

So far, 20 people filled out the questionnaire and it already provides some good information. Also, we're very glad everyone is very positive and supportive.

What's interesting is that many people answer the 'value' question the same as the price on the website, except for 1 that said the €20 euro course should be in the €50-€75 range. Another person mentioned that the value is far higher than the price, but the price is low enough to 'just try it out and see what it is'. I'm still interested in having higher prices later this month before October.

Marketing
Currently providing text, pictures and video's for the clickfunnels funnel that the agency we work with is building. They're building a landingspage after the ad, a thankyou page after registering and a salespage for during the call to action during the webinar. Currently still working on the landingspage.

We know that, when my book gets published, I'll get in the media. This is a great organic way to get some traffic to our website as well.

OP
OP
Koenz

Koenz

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Was reading your AMA thread and here.
Advice below might sound like its trolling but i assure its not.

So here it goes:
Let them play together.
If it only was that easy. In many families there's frustrations, discussions or fights about gaming related stuff. It often starts with a few frustrations, leading to more, and more, and eventually consistently. Parents not understanding or accepting their gaming child, the child stops talking about it and doesn't want its parents to play with him/her. In order to be able to get to a situation where you are allowed to play together with your kid, you first need to get closer again around this topic.

There's basically 3 people we help:
1. Parents with a good relationships with their kids, but not knowing anything about gaming and esports. We inform them.
2. Parents with struggles: frustrations, discussions, fights. We inform them and help them to avoid this, making them get closer to their kids. Things like screentime, communication, structure, rules and more.
3. Parents with kids that are truly problematic or addicted. That's what our multi-week program is for. We're going to work with a big clinic in the Netherlands that work with addicting gamers. Our program will be used for the parents of these children.

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016
If it only was that easy. In many families there's frustrations, discussions or fights about gaming related stuff. It often starts with a few frustrations, leading to more, and more, and eventually consistently. Parents not understanding or accepting their gaming child, the child stops talking about it and doesn't want its parents to play with him/her. In order to be able to get to a situation where you are allowed to play together with your kid, you first need to get closer again around this topic.

There's basically 3 people we help:
1. Parents with a good relationships with their kids, but not knowing anything about gaming and esports. We inform them.
2. Parents with struggles: frustrations, discussions, fights. We inform them and help them to avoid this, making them get closer to their kids. Things like screentime, structure, rules and more.
3. Parents with kids that are truly problematic or addicted. That's what our multi-week program is for. We're going to work with a big clinic in the Netherlands that work with addicting gamers. Our program will be used for the parents of these children.
This is really in depth and hands on approach.
I'll be following

OP
OP
Koenz

Koenz

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Tried to note the things that happened during last week down and wait for sunday morning to post, but by the time it actually was sunday morning it was quite a lot and I had so much to do... You know how that goes hehe.

What happened and where am I now:

1. Webinar:
Been working on the webinar at the beginning of last week. I shortened the webinar compared with the webinar I gave live earlier this year. That one was almost 2 hours uff. I now shortened it to around 50 minutes to 1 hour in length. Also had a meeting with my team to decide on the call to action during the webinar: an offer, or a call. We decided to have a call to action towards planning a phonecall, so I have to edit the end of my webinar to match this CTA. During the call we can go in-depth about the problems our potential client is experiencing and we can advice them on something that might help them. We are not hard salespeople, but it still works great as tested earlier this year. I will do a live webinar first and then automate this process.

2. Funnel and ads:
The marketing agency we work with is building the pages in clickfunnels that we need for the webinar. I do provide them with text and pictures etc. Also, they work on the ads. The partnership we have is that for every sale through the funnel, they get a 10% commission. What I do notice though is that they have no chance of writing good copy. They don't know my market so can't go into the problems/pains they experience in the copy. So I still take the copy on me.

We used a video in our ad at the beginning of august. At that moment we just wanted to get more insights in people that would click from ad to landingpage to our website. Results for 150 euros were: 29k impressions in total, cpm 5.14, 9.4k engagements, 390 people clicking on 'more information' and landed on the clickfunnels landingpage, 156 (40%) clicked on the button to continue to the website.

I have to provide another video this time, or just start with photo's as those take less work to find/make. Besides the agency I'm working with, I'm curious about any marketers that know what works best in your experience?

3. Sales

- 3 courses of €20 (price will go up to €50 - €300 depending on the course before 1st of Oct)
- 1 free course
- 1 deal on giving a presentation about esports early October - €1500
- My partner will give 8 presentations of 2hrs at a business. At first, the plan to only provide 2 presentations. But so many people registered for the presentations that now we're at 8 - €2000
- 1 'influencer' deal (post instagram + few stories) - €900. This is the first time ever I'm asked to do this and topic I'll post about is completely in line with what I do as it's about esports data. Never had an 'influencer' job like this, so pretty cool

4. Research
- Mail softwares. Things like Mailchimp and ActiveCampaign (preference). We didn't buy any software yet, but I liked to know more so I can make proper decisions in the near future. ActiveCampaign looks amazing and easy to understand. Also the agency we work with mentioned it's recommended.

- FunnelPay - a software that will make it possible for potential clients to buy an offer after your webinar (on a clickfunnels salespage) with the payment options iDeal and Bancontact, instead of only creditcard etc options. This is something I definitely recommend if you use a funnel and want payment options known in the Benelux. We won't be using this at the moment as our call to action is a phonecall.

- ProveSource / Provely --> softwares that show social proof. When someone buys anything, there's a little popup in the corner of the website. You can also make older orders popup. Pretty interesting for the future, not yet for now.

- Groupfunnels --> If you have a Facebook group this is recommended by the agency I work with. Whenever someone joins your facebook group they'll have to provide you with their email. After, you can follow them up using things like ActiveCampaign. We don't use it yet, but keep it in mind.

- Groovefunnels --> a new kid on the block. A funnelsystem, mailsystem, webinarsystem and a lot more. One of the people of this businsses is Mike Filsaime, also famous for building Webinarjam, Everwebinar and Kartra. It's interesting and currently they have a one-time offer. I didn't yet invest in this. Currently the agency builds our funnel in clickfunnels and we don't yet know how it'll go. Also, my businesspartner mentioned that once the business starts rolling, paying 100 or 300 a month for this system (instead of a now one-off 1397 price) while earning multiple K's doesn't matter that much. Kinda agree. He makes like 20k a month and won't flinch much with this monthly cost. I, on the other hand, look into details and be like ''we'll save XX monthly after XX time because it's a one-off deal'' etc as I'm not used to higher income stuff. Anyway, they also have a free option and you can check out their Facebook group for more info as well. It already has 100k+ people and Groovefunnels is still in beta. Pretty impressive.

5. Coaching
Had my first meeting with an entrepreneur that wanted to coach me. Very succesful guy, but also had his fails. Great stuff, the conversation gave me lots of insights and things to think about. We spoke about the vision of the business, strategies, multiple streams of income and more. I have 2 partners in my business, but it definitely helps to also talk with people ''from the outside'' if you can trust them. Some people won't recommend coaches, others do. I just think it's great to be able to talk to someone with a certain level of experience and discuss certain things. Very valuable in my opinion.

6. Flyer
My partner helped someone with his child and the situation at home, and as a big thanks he wants to press 10.000 flyers for our business for free. That's just amazing. We're almost finished with the design after which the folders will be printed and will be visible at schools all over the Netherlands, as well as holiday parcs in the Netherlands where families come with kids.

Now I'm an amateur designer so that guy helps out a bit. I do things in Paint.net haha so yea, not the best quality there. We did provide lots of feedback already and mailing up and down. As he's doing it for free, my partner doesn't want to give to much feedback all the time and keep saying this or that has to improve. I'm a guy that's all about details and want something to be good. So we're like finding the middle ground lets say. Curious how you guys would approach this situation.

7. My book
I started writing my knowledge down in 2017 just to be busy as I had 9 months between my medical bachelor and start of my medical master. Besides writing my biography and information about the gaming and esports industry, I also wrote about positives of gaming, negatives, and sharing tips and advise for parents.

Got in touch with a publisher at the end of 2017 and he loved the stuff for parents of gaming children. Eventually they got me a writer to work with and off we go. Took some time but now my book will come out on the 1st of October! Super excited. We answer the 50 most common questions that parents have about their gaming children, also including lots of tips and stuff to handle certain situations.

This book fits my current business perfectly so it's definitely a great asset. Also have lots of interviews and media-attention. Had a few interviews already and we're talking with the biggest talkshows. Looking forward!

Also, yesterday I hold my book for the first time, amazing stuff :D
Not sure if I'm allowed to post a picture of the book in my hand. Didn't do it just in case. But, if it's allowed, please let me know and I'll edit this post.

7. Frequency
I definitely will post more often, and shorter posts. I learned that last week.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I've just concluded my program with Kyle. The incubator gave me what I wanted. Now, working on a...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Thanks for the detailed response. I see it similar, in the beginning, you have only a small...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
The day I can afford to pay 800 a month to have someone keep me accountable is the day I've won...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom