The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! An Educational Business In The Gaming And Esports Industry

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Hello everyone,

I often find myself being inspired early morning by reading execution threads on TFF after my alarm goes off. I already had the idea of starting my own thread for a while and today is the day. I'll do my best to provide you with lessons I'm learning, some golden nuggets, insights in mistakes and things that went well, and more.

If you want to know more about the industry that I'm in, please jump over to my thread ''AMA - Ask me anything about the esports/gaming industry (14+ years experience)''. I try to answer your questions as good as I can.

When do I post updates
If there's interesting things happening during the week, I'll write these down immediately. Else, I update you on Sundays.

Who am I?
Please read my (long) introduction story by clicking here.
In short:
I'm part of the gaming and esports industry for 14 years now. Started as a professional player myself, eventually turning TV-host, speaker, founding member of the athletes commission of the International Esports Federation and entrepreneur. Used to be a medical master student, but quit my studies to follow my passion in 2018.

In 2020 I stopped being a host on TV due to time. I preferred putting time in my business and focus, instead of doing to many things at the same time. Focussing is a lesson I had to learn in time. I did W, X, Y, Z in the past and had quite some appointments in my agenda for all sorts of stuff. In July 2019 I spoke on a radio-station for 45 minutes (click here for the interview (dutch)) and at the end (minute 42) the host says: ''maybe I don't see the focus, but is there a focus?'' And I answered this with ''Well, my focus is esports and gaming. It's a big industry and I make sure to be part of many different things'' hahah. Oh boy, only at the end of 2019 I understood why he asked that and said that. His question always hunted me. And nowadays, I can't agree more with him. I got rid of things that caused me to move away from my focus, which includes hosting on TV and other stuff.

So, what is my focus
My focus is helping parents to repair, retain or reinforce the relationship with their gaming children. This is currently done through a free online training, online courses, a multi-week program and books. In the future we can hopefully organize some events as well to meet our community. We currently have 567 members in our facebook community since launching this business officially in June.

The 'why' is the story with my mom. Read my long introduction to know more. The fun thing is that sometimes, the answer of what to focus on is right in front of you but you simply don't see it. Since 2016 I gave workshops and presentations for parents. Great fun. Also wrote a book for parents in 2017, which caught the eye of a famous bestselling publisher in the Netherlands and will now be published on the 1st of October 2020. The book changed completely, it's A LOT better. But the initial idea started in 2017. At the beginning of 2019 I thought of the business that launched in June this year. Lastly, I was a medical student with a passion to help people.

Only at the end of 2019 I really started to focus on parents with gaming children after taking some time to think about the past years and seeing this trend. After noticing it, I made quick decisions and changed things quickly. It's not easy saying no to things, but it was necessary. But yea, I never really saw all these little signs that I should've focussed on parents and gaming children earlier than the end of 2019. Looking back it was pretty obvious.

My current activities:
1. Helping parents with gaming children --> focus
2. Speaking (inter)nationally--> good source of quick income and always good to get your brand and activities in front of many eyes.
3. Board member and vice chair of the athletes & players commission of the Global Esports Federation (GEF) --> doesn't take much time and it really increases my network, speaking opportunities (currently spoke at AI For Good Summit and upcoming week at All That Matters conference) and possibilities for my business with parents a lot. Once we translate our website and courses, GEF would like to cooperate on a global level.
4. Work with businesses on strategy or campaigns, only when time and if it's interesting. So this is more like a bonus. Currently no projects running.

Current status of the business
Team:
3 people. I met 2 people in 2019 and after many meetings and months we decided to jump on this together. So far, great stuff. One is a 45-year old family therapist specialized in autism and gaming. I got TMF from him, and that's the reason I'm on the forum :) He has also read Unscripted. The other one is a 40-year old entrepreneur that's build 2 succesfull businesses in the 'helping families and children' related industry. He has many connections with municipalities.
Total income: € 3608,30 (incl) --> gotta say we all have other sources of income as well and keep this money on the bankaccount to invest in building the company.
Focus: get advertisements up and running, directing people to a webinar with a call to action to our products or a call. Our calls are not about selling the highest program. We listen to the prospect and try to think of the best course that can help him/her out. We work with an agency that's owned by someone I know. The deal is that for every sale that comes through the funnel, he gets 10%.
Biggest doubt: the prices. I've checked the popular thread about pricing here and did research online. Not easy to think about the value of a course. I'm positive though that we are really low. We have high quality video's including a layout with webcam, exercises and summary sheets and a facebook group. We do hear from customers we provide a lot of value for the money. Our small courses are currently 20 euros, a bundle of our theorybook, workbook and a hobbybook (with 130 hobby's listed and some tips) goes for 97, and the 6-week program for 500. I want to test higher prices before my book will be launched on the 1st of October so that people that come to our site will see new prices. It would be a good test to see if people buy them or not. Thinking about going to prices of other family-related courses, like between 97 - 197 euros for the smaller courses.

What happened before the launch #start-before-you're-ready
We only launched in June, but in april I got impatient and wanted to test the target audience. We only had the bundle of books, no small courses or a program. We only had these in our minds and partly on paper. So, I made a webinar with CTA to a free call, posted it in a few facebook groups with parents and tried it. We got 24 calls after a couple of webinars, and closed 30% (products at that time being either €500, €300, €97) resulting in €2313,95. We were happy and this also meant we had to get start making the 6-week program. In the first call we started with 1500 euros for the 6-week program, after 3 we went down to 500 or 300. I realize we didn't test the 1500 enough, but at least we got some people in the program and are able to see how things go and get feedback.

When we launched we got in the national media through connections I have. Therefore we got a few sales. Since that moment, the focus was 100% on making all the content for the different smaller courses (4 - 8 hours) and the multi-week program we got, not really on getting new clients. Just finished with the first version of the program on the 31st of august. We have a low daily amount of people checking the site and sometimes sell something but nothing spectacular. People are only able to get into the program by calling us by the way.

Enjoy the ride and I look forward exchanging messages with you all!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016
My focus is helping parents to repair, retain or reinforce the relationship with their gaming children.
Was reading your AMA thread and here.
Advice below might sound like its trolling but i assure its not.

So here it goes:
Let them play together.

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Sunday - 13th of September

Income last week: €60 (Parents) + €1275 (other) = €1335
Focus last week: a presentation, a pitch, coaching, a questionnaire and marketing

Presentation & Pitch
Gave a presentation last monday for a €300-million business. Had a 2 hour timeslot and was allowed to attend the dinner afterwards.

During the presentation I showed a video of a project I've done in the past with Vodafone, which had to do with parents and children. The CEO immediately asked if I can make a pitch about this for last Friday. He saw potential in running this concept for TV and last Friday he had a meeting with the CEO of a big media business in the Netherlands.

I gave the pitch which went really well. Short and to-the-point with some questions afterwards. The CEO of the media company said it's quite a niche and didn't yet see it as a opportunity for TV. However, the people from the business that made me do this pitch are still very supportive and see potential, so we'll talk about it next week again.

Coaching
I always stay during presentations, when allowed, and during conferences etc. Always good to do some networking and answer any remaining questions.

During the dinner on monday, after my presentation, there was a spot free next to the CEO of the company so I, of course, took that spot. Great conversation eventually leading to me figuring out that he has a foundation where he's coaching startups. I immediately got interested in him coaching me as well. He build multiple businesses and now this 300 million one. He had fails and successes, so great stuff to learn. I mentioned I'm looking for a businesscoach for a while already (true though, was looking for it). He mentioned that if it's each 2-3 months, he would be able to coach me and that it would be good to first have a meeting next week. So, I have it on thursday. Looking forward.

Giving a presentation or not, I always advise to stick around and talk to people. You never know what people will remember, or what might happen because you connect with people.

Good tip from experience:
Something else I always do is, when I'm part of a meeting where I don't give a presentation but I'm in the audience, I always ask a question at the end. Not only because I'm curious and have a question, but also because you'll often have to shortly introduce yourself. Therefore, everyone in the audience immediately knows your name and what you do. This might lead to people approaching you afterwards, even when you weren't a speaker.

Questionnaire
Due to doubt about prices I made a questionnaire for all the parents in our Facebook group. I also emailed all customers since June personally. I will give my own book, that will be published on the 1st of october, away for free to 1 person. I used the following questions:
1. General stuff like gender and age
2. First impression of the business and the website
3. What course they followed, whats good about it, what can be improved
4. What they think is the value of the course they followed (to compare what they think with the current prices)
5. What they think about the facebook community and if they want to write a testimonial

So far, 20 people filled out the questionnaire and it already provides some good information. Also, we're very glad everyone is very positive and supportive.

What's interesting is that many people answer the 'value' question the same as the price on the website, except for 1 that said the €20 euro course should be in the €50-€75 range. Another person mentioned that the value is far higher than the price, but the price is low enough to 'just try it out and see what it is'. I'm still interested in having higher prices later this month before October.

Marketing
Currently providing text, pictures and video's for the clickfunnels funnel that the agency we work with is building. They're building a landingspage after the ad, a thankyou page after registering and a salespage for during the call to action during the webinar. Currently still working on the landingspage.

We know that, when my book gets published, I'll get in the media. This is a great organic way to get some traffic to our website as well.

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Was reading your AMA thread and here.
Advice below might sound like its trolling but i assure its not.

So here it goes:
Let them play together.

If it only was that easy. In many families there's frustrations, discussions or fights about gaming related stuff. It often starts with a few frustrations, leading to more, and more, and eventually consistently. Parents not understanding or accepting their gaming child, the child stops talking about it and doesn't want its parents to play with him/her. In order to be able to get to a situation where you are allowed to play together with your kid, you first need to get closer again around this topic.

There's basically 3 people we help:
1. Parents with a good relationships with their kids, but not knowing anything about gaming and esports. We inform them.
2. Parents with struggles: frustrations, discussions, fights. We inform them and help them to avoid this, making them get closer to their kids. Things like screentime, communication, structure, rules and more.
3. Parents with kids that are truly problematic or addicted. That's what our multi-week program is for. We're going to work with a big clinic in the Netherlands that work with addicting gamers. Our program will be used for the parents of these children.

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016
If it only was that easy. In many families there's frustrations, discussions or fights about gaming related stuff. It often starts with a few frustrations, leading to more, and more, and eventually consistently. Parents not understanding or accepting their gaming child, the child stops talking about it and doesn't want its parents to play with him/her. In order to be able to get to a situation where you are allowed to play together with your kid, you first need to get closer again around this topic.

There's basically 3 people we help:
1. Parents with a good relationships with their kids, but not knowing anything about gaming and esports. We inform them.
2. Parents with struggles: frustrations, discussions, fights. We inform them and help them to avoid this, making them get closer to their kids. Things like screentime, structure, rules and more.
3. Parents with kids that are truly problematic or addicted. That's what our multi-week program is for. We're going to work with a big clinic in the Netherlands that work with addicting gamers. Our program will be used for the parents of these children.

This is really in depth and hands on approach.
I'll be following

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Tried to note the things that happened during last week down and wait for sunday morning to post, but by the time it actually was sunday morning it was quite a lot and I had so much to do... You know how that goes hehe.

What happened and where am I now:

1. Webinar:
Been working on the webinar at the beginning of last week. I shortened the webinar compared with the webinar I gave live earlier this year. That one was almost 2 hours uff. I now shortened it to around 50 minutes to 1 hour in length. Also had a meeting with my team to decide on the call to action during the webinar: an offer, or a call. We decided to have a call to action towards planning a phonecall, so I have to edit the end of my webinar to match this CTA. During the call we can go in-depth about the problems our potential client is experiencing and we can advice them on something that might help them. We are not hard salespeople, but it still works great as tested earlier this year. I will do a live webinar first and then automate this process.

2. Funnel and ads:
The marketing agency we work with is building the pages in clickfunnels that we need for the webinar. I do provide them with text and pictures etc. Also, they work on the ads. The partnership we have is that for every sale through the funnel, they get a 10% commission. What I do notice though is that they have no chance of writing good copy. They don't know my market so can't go into the problems/pains they experience in the copy. So I still take the copy on me.

We used a video in our ad at the beginning of august. At that moment we just wanted to get more insights in people that would click from ad to landingpage to our website. Results for 150 euros were: 29k impressions in total, cpm 5.14, 9.4k engagements, 390 people clicking on 'more information' and landed on the clickfunnels landingpage, 156 (40%) clicked on the button to continue to the website.

I have to provide another video this time, or just start with photo's as those take less work to find/make. Besides the agency I'm working with, I'm curious about any marketers that know what works best in your experience?

3. Sales

- 3 courses of €20 (price will go up to €50 - €300 depending on the course before 1st of Oct)
- 1 free course
- 1 deal on giving a presentation about esports early October - €1500
- My partner will give 8 presentations of 2hrs at a business. At first, the plan to only provide 2 presentations. But so many people registered for the presentations that now we're at 8 - €2000
- 1 'influencer' deal (post instagram + few stories) - €900. This is the first time ever I'm asked to do this and topic I'll post about is completely in line with what I do as it's about esports data. Never had an 'influencer' job like this, so pretty cool

4. Research
- Mail softwares. Things like Mailchimp and ActiveCampaign (preference). We didn't buy any software yet, but I liked to know more so I can make proper decisions in the near future. ActiveCampaign looks amazing and easy to understand. Also the agency we work with mentioned it's recommended.

- FunnelPay - a software that will make it possible for potential clients to buy an offer after your webinar (on a clickfunnels salespage) with the payment options iDeal and Bancontact, instead of only creditcard etc options. This is something I definitely recommend if you use a funnel and want payment options known in the Benelux. We won't be using this at the moment as our call to action is a phonecall.

- ProveSource / Provely --> softwares that show social proof. When someone buys anything, there's a little popup in the corner of the website. You can also make older orders popup. Pretty interesting for the future, not yet for now.

- Groupfunnels --> If you have a Facebook group this is recommended by the agency I work with. Whenever someone joins your facebook group they'll have to provide you with their email. After, you can follow them up using things like ActiveCampaign. We don't use it yet, but keep it in mind.

- Groovefunnels --> a new kid on the block. A funnelsystem, mailsystem, webinarsystem and a lot more. One of the people of this businsses is Mike Filsaime, also famous for building Webinarjam, Everwebinar and Kartra. It's interesting and currently they have a one-time offer. I didn't yet invest in this. Currently the agency builds our funnel in clickfunnels and we don't yet know how it'll go. Also, my businesspartner mentioned that once the business starts rolling, paying 100 or 300 a month for this system (instead of a now one-off 1397 price) while earning multiple K's doesn't matter that much. Kinda agree. He makes like 20k a month and won't flinch much with this monthly cost. I, on the other hand, look into details and be like ''we'll save XX monthly after XX time because it's a one-off deal'' etc as I'm not used to higher income stuff. Anyway, they also have a free option and you can check out their Facebook group for more info as well. It already has 100k+ people and Groovefunnels is still in beta. Pretty impressive.

5. Coaching
Had my first meeting with an entrepreneur that wanted to coach me. Very succesful guy, but also had his fails. Great stuff, the conversation gave me lots of insights and things to think about. We spoke about the vision of the business, strategies, multiple streams of income and more. I have 2 partners in my business, but it definitely helps to also talk with people ''from the outside'' if you can trust them. Some people won't recommend coaches, others do. I just think it's great to be able to talk to someone with a certain level of experience and discuss certain things. Very valuable in my opinion.

6. Flyer
My partner helped someone with his child and the situation at home, and as a big thanks he wants to press 10.000 flyers for our business for free. That's just amazing. We're almost finished with the design after which the folders will be printed and will be visible at schools all over the Netherlands, as well as holiday parcs in the Netherlands where families come with kids.

Now I'm an amateur designer so that guy helps out a bit. I do things in Paint.net haha so yea, not the best quality there. We did provide lots of feedback already and mailing up and down. As he's doing it for free, my partner doesn't want to give to much feedback all the time and keep saying this or that has to improve. I'm a guy that's all about details and want something to be good. So we're like finding the middle ground lets say. Curious how you guys would approach this situation.

7. My book
I started writing my knowledge down in 2017 just to be busy as I had 9 months between my medical bachelor and start of my medical master. Besides writing my biography and information about the gaming and esports industry, I also wrote about positives of gaming, negatives, and sharing tips and advise for parents.

Got in touch with a publisher at the end of 2017 and he loved the stuff for parents of gaming children. Eventually they got me a writer to work with and off we go. Took some time but now my book will come out on the 1st of October! Super excited. We answer the 50 most common questions that parents have about their gaming children, also including lots of tips and stuff to handle certain situations.

This book fits my current business perfectly so it's definitely a great asset. Also have lots of interviews and media-attention. Had a few interviews already and we're talking with the biggest talkshows. Looking forward!

Also, yesterday I hold my book for the first time, amazing stuff :D
Not sure if I'm allowed to post a picture of the book in my hand. Didn't do it just in case. But, if it's allowed, please let me know and I'll edit this post.

7. Frequency
I definitely will post more often, and shorter posts. I learned that last week.

Last edited:

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Love your stuff. I'll sent you a pm.

About the technology aspect. GrooveFunnels will dominate the space but you are probably a bit too early to use it for the stage of your company. (Saying that as a top10 affiliate for them).

Clickfunnels is super expensive and overhyped.

In the end, it really depends what you want to optimize for.

Personally I would recommend a Wordpress solution on the frontend for SEO and some type of ALL-in-one software like GrooveFunnels or Kartra (or Clickfunnels) in the backend.

That way you get the best of all worlds because Wordpress is super flexible.

Last edited:

Flint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 14, 2020
UK
My focus is helping parents to repair, retain or reinforce the relationship with their gaming children. This is currently done through a free online training, online courses, a multi-week program and books. In the future we can hopefully organize some events as well to meet our community. We currently have 567 members in our facebook community since launching this business officially in June.

Love it! It resonates with me a lot because I'm driven by very similar values. Plus, I'm a father of a 10 year old. You have a follower.

The CEO of the media company said it's quite a niche and didn't yet see it as a opportunity for TV. However, the people from the business that made me do this pitch are still very supportive and see potential, so we'll talk about it next week again.

Keep going. It's a process, it's not an impulse buy. It starts with the first thought (awareness), goes through passive looking, then more active consideration to finally become a decision. So don't be discouraged if you don't see people throwing their money at you immediately after your presentations. All good.

You've moved them to passive observers, so it's important to ensure you demonstrate a consistent, continuous effort and value creation that they're warming up to. Not everyone will be your target audience, but even those who are (B2B and B2C) need time to make sure they want to work with you.

Besides, when you start spreading your message also in English, you'll reach many more people. This is where your Scale is.

Population stats:
  • Netherlands: 17 million
  • Australia: 25 million
  • Canada: 37 million
  • United Kingdom: 66 million
  • United States: 328 million
  • Plus the rest of the world that speaks English
I looked at your website and read most of the content. I really like your message and what you have to offer. Why is it not in English yet? The world should see it!

On that note, I have one comment: I've learned more about you, your processes and approach here than from the website. You use some names of concepts, plans and techniques when you list the content of your courses. But I wouldn't be able to understand what you really mean by them (I understand because you described some of it here in another thread).

I think a bit more explanation, samples of your work and maybe case studies would warm me up a bit more to pay even more. On the other hand, the price of each course is low enough, so that I can just buy them and see what you represent and if your brand is a long term solution for me. So maybe that works well for you? You may need to fill that "trust building" step if you increase the price though.

Just keyboard jockeying here, this assumption needs testing.

Due to doubt about prices I made a questionnaire for all the parents in our Facebook group. I also emailed all customers since June personally.

If I was you, I'd ask your recent customers if they could offer you 45-60 minutes of their time to talk about their experience with your product and to help you build something even more valuable in the future.

I'd want to talk to them in person (videocall under current circumstances) to understand nuances of their struggles, value systems, priorities and trade offs. This would help me understand why they chose me, what my competition is, how I can provide more value and what their price sensitivity is.

During the videocall, I wouldn't talk about my ideas at all. Not even about what they need next (because they'd try to be helpful in an unhelpful/biased way). I'd focus on their experiences up to this point. How they felt when they bought the product. What led them to this. What they had tried before (and didn't work). How they found you. When they had thought about something like this for the first time. And so on.

I'd be very empathetic, I wouldn't want to interfere with my preconceptions and my future ideas. This would need to be about them and their story leading to buying the course. No opinions about the product or good/bad answers. Just a human to human interaction to get in their shoes and see - feel - how their life looked like in the last weeks/months. And what led them to giving you their hard earned money.

You may be surprised how much you can learn from that. Including who your real competition is (you're not competing with other courses, you're competing with other solutions they'd tried in the past) and what they'd paid for so far. You should be able to see a clearer picture of what your offering has that other solutions don't and how much they were willing to pay to get their problems solved. This is by far the best indicator of the worth of your solution (if it solves what they were struggling with; productocracy over shallow marketing, right?).

What's interesting is that many people answer the 'value' question the same as the price on the website, except for 1 that said the €20 euro course should be in the €50-€75 range. Another person mentioned that the value is far higher than the price, but the price is low enough to 'just try it out and see what it is'. I'm still interested in having higher prices later this month before October.

These types of questions are tricky because they trigger a "buyer vs seller" mode. Some people will tell you the price was right because they don't want to pay more or want to convince themselves they didn't spend too much. Some will tell you it was too low because they think that's what will please you. So it's much better to observe what they do (past purchasing behaviours) and not what they say.

They don't know my market so can't go into the problems/pains they experience in the copy. So I still take the copy on me.

If you interview your customers the way I described, you'll get your copy material for free. They will tell you - in their own words - what their main frustrations and pain points are, what made them consider your offering, what worked and what didn't in their lives. Take notes, the copy will write itself in their language, word for word.

My partner helped someone with his child and the situation at home, and as a big thanks he wants to press 10.000 flyers for our business for free.

Awesome! Smells like productocracy.

Here's another data point for you: how much does it cost him (even in time) to do this for you? It's definitely less than what your partner's help was worth to him. And more than €20.

Took some time but now my book will come out on the 1st of October! Super excited. We answer the 50 most common questions that parents have about their gaming children, also including lots of tips and stuff to handle certain situations.

That's brilliant!

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a picture of the book in my hand. Didn't do it just in case. But, if it's allowed, please let me know and I'll edit this post.

Post it, I'd like to see it.

This is a fantastic thread, keep us posted. And feel free to reach out if you need anything.

Good luck!

EthanBarr

New Contributor
Sep 22, 2020
Washington, United States
Hello everyone,

I often find myself being inspired early morning by reading execution threads on TFF after my alarm goes off. I already had the idea of starting my own thread for a while and today is the day. I'll do my best to provide you with lessons I'm learning, some golden nuggets, insights in mistakes and things that went well, and more.

If you want to know more about the industry that I'm in, please jump over to my thread ''AMA - Ask me anything about the esports/gaming industry (14+ years experience)''. I try to answer your questions as good as I can.

When do I post updates
If there's interesting things happening during the week, I'll write these down immediately. Else, I update you on Sundays.

Who am I?
Please read my (long) introduction story by clicking here.
In short:
I'm part of the gaming and esports industry for 14 years now. Started as a professional player myself, eventually turning TV-host, speaker, founding member of the athletes commission of the International Esports Federation and entrepreneur. Used to be a medical master student, but quit my studies to follow my passion in 2018.

In 2020 I stopped being a host on TV due to time. I preferred putting time in my business and focus, instead of doing to many things at the same time. Focussing is a lesson I had to learn in time. I did W, X, Y, Z in the past and had quite some appointments in my agenda for all sorts of stuff. In July 2019 I spoke on a radio-station for 45 minutes (click here for the interview (dutch)) and at the end (minute 42) the host says: ''maybe I don't see the focus, but is there a focus?'' And I answered this with ''Well, my focus is esports and gaming. It's a big industry and I make sure to be part of many different things'' hahah. Oh boy, only at the end of 2019 I understood why he asked that and said that. His question always hunted me. And nowadays, I can't agree more with him. I got rid of things that caused me to move away from my focus, which includes hosting on TV and other stuff.

So, what is my focus

The 'why' is the story with my mom. Read my long introduction to know more. The fun thing is that sometimes, the answer of what to focus on is right in front of you but you simply don't see it. Since 2016 I gave workshops and presentations for parents. Great fun. Also wrote a book for parents in 2017, which caught the eye of a famous bestselling publisher in the Netherlands and will now be published on the 1st of October 2020. The book changed completely, it's A LOT better. But the initial idea started in 2017. At the beginning of 2019 I thought of the business that launched in June this year. Lastly, I was a medical student with a passion to help people.

Only at the end of 2019 I really started to focus on parents with gaming children after taking some time to think about the past years and seeing this trend. After noticing it, I made quick decisions and changed things quickly. It's not easy saying no to things, but it was necessary. But yea, I never really saw all these little signs that I should've focussed on parents and gaming children earlier than the end of 2019. Looking back it was pretty obvious.

My current activities:
1. Helping parents with gaming children --> focus
2. Speaking (inter)nationally--> good source of quick income and always good to get your brand and activities in front of many eyes.
3. Board member and vice chair of the athletes & players commission of the Global Esports Federation (GEF) --> doesn't take much time and it really increases my network, speaking opportunities (currently spoke at AI For Good Summit and upcoming week at All That Matters conference) and possibilities for my business with parents a lot. Once we translate our website and courses, GEF would like to cooperate on a global level.
4. Work with businesses on strategy or campaigns, only when time and if it's interesting. So this is more like a bonus. Currently no projects running.

Current status of the business
Team:
3 people. I met 2 people in 2019 and after many meetings and months we decided to jump on this together. So far, great stuff. One is a 45-year old family therapist specialized in autism and gaming. I got TMF from him, and that's the reason I'm on the forum :) He has also read Unscripted. The other one is a 40-year old entrepreneur that's build 2 succesfull businesses in the 'helping families and children' related industry. He has many connections with municipalities.
Total income: € 3608,30 (incl) --> gotta say we all have other sources of income as well and keep this money on the bankaccount to invest in building the company.
Focus: get advertisements up and running, directing people to a webinar with a call to action to our products or a call. Our calls are not about selling the highest program. We listen to the prospect and try to think of the best course that can help him/her out. We work with an agency that's owned by someone I know. The deal is that for every sale that comes through the funnel, he gets 10%.
Biggest doubt: the prices. I've checked the popular thread about pricing here and did research online. Not easy to think about the value of a course. I'm positive though that we are really low. We have high quality video's including a layout with webcam, exercises and summary sheets and a facebook group. We do hear from customers we provide a lot of value for the money. Our small courses are currently 20 euros, a bundle of our theorybook, workbook and a hobbybook (with 130 hobby's listed and some tips) goes for 97, and the 6-week program for 500. I want to test higher prices before my book will be launched on the 1st of October so that people that come to our site will see new prices. It would be a good test to see if people buy them or not. Thinking about going to prices of other family-related courses, like between 97 - 197 euros for the smaller courses.

What happened before the launch #start-before-you're-ready
We only launched in June, but in april I got impatient and wanted to test the target audience. We only had the bundle of books, no small courses or a program. We only had these in our minds and partly on paper. So, I made a webinar with CTA to a free call, posted it in a few facebook groups with parents and tried it. We got 24 calls after a couple of webinars, and closed 30% (products at that time being either €500, €300, €97) resulting in €2313,95. We were happy and this also meant we had to get start making the 6-week program. In the first call we started with 1500 euros for the 6-week program, after 3 we went down to 500 or 300. I realize we didn't test the 1500 enough, but at least we got some people in the program and are able to see how things go and get feedback.

When we launched we got in the national media through connections I have. Therefore we got a few sales. Since that moment, the focus was 100% on making all the content for the different smaller courses (4 - 8 hours) and the multi-week program we got, not really on getting new clients. Just finished with the first version of the program on the 31st of august. We have a low daily amount of people checking the site and sometimes sell something but nothing spectacular. People are only able to get into the program by calling us by the way.

Enjoy the ride and I look forward exchanging messages with you all!
This is great!! Before I started studying business I was aspiring FN pro who made top 50 placements multiple times and won against pros that are millionaires. Sadly, I was limited by my parents because they didn't invest in me at all and tried to stop me from playing so much just as I got close to making it. And because of this had terrible equipment which meant I had to practice so much that I got carpel tunnel, then that was the end lmao.

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
So a few days ago the publisher told me that we (me and my co-author) were allowed to give away 40 books for free just so these people will write a review about it and post that online somewhere.

I learned a few lessons here..

I decided to make a post and place it in my Facebook group with parents (560 people at that time, now 600+), and another group with 13k people, mainly parents. Now I did think I would be able to find 40 people, but I did post it in both groups as you never know with the engagement on Facebook. The call to action to let me know they're interested was simply writing a comment under the post (mistake #1)

So in the end.. it exploded.
The post in my group had 45 replies, and the post in the other group had 240+ replies o_o...

So my thought before posting was that I would just send a message to all people commenting.
1. The people that DO get the book will get a message with me asking for their details that I can send forward to the publisher + I also send them a link of my facebook group (in case they weren't yet) and to my business website in case they want to check it out as well
2. The people that DON'T get the book will get a message with a couple of free stuff I can give away, a link to pre-order the book, a link to my FB group and the business website.

So okay, mistake 2 coming in haha..
I of course wrote a template for the people that get the book, and wrote a template for the people not getting the book. This is the smart part as I can just copy the message, change the first name and voila.

Tuesday morning I spend hours sending the message to people of which most of course weren't Facebook connections. After eventually 280+ messages, simply copying my templates and changing the 1st name, I was finished. But later that day I wondered why I didn't get many replies..

Sooo apparently Facebook doesn't like you to send the same message to more than like 30 people that are not connected to you. This means that 30 people got my stuff, the other 250 didnt... Great. I also received a block for 1 full day, not being allowed to send any links in messenger >_> I actually had to laugh about this.

So as I wasn't allowed to send links for 1 day till Wednesday evening, I decided to work on a solution. I decided to reply to every comment under my post and ask them to send me a PB, explaining them the issue I was having. My thought was that, if THEY send ME a message FIRST, and I reply with my template, it would work. It was a hypothesis, but you never know

Mistake #3: I wrote 1 template to use as a comment where I only had to change the 1st name. After I commented with this template 15 times in a short amount of time, I got a warning from Facebook for spam purposes... Gosh, I just want to help all this people : ). So, solution 2.0 was to write 4 different templates with some changes here and there, and use a different one for each comment. I also decided to have a few more seconds between each comment. This worked perfectly fine. People liked my comment and commented back with 'send you a pm'. This led to me having 99+ notifications for the first time xd Check out the screenshot at the bottom of my post.

Now I had to answer all these PBs I received. I made 2 templates and started my copy-paste stuff. And, surprisingly, I had no blocks, bans, any other problems whatsoever! Juhu, problem solved.

Tactic
Whenever people get the book, or not, of course I want to get them connected to my business. Hence the reason I linked our FB group and my website. Worked great, people keep joining the group which is good to see. We got a steady growth. Check out the second screenshot at the bottom of this post.

The results of posting about holding my book in my hands for the first time on my social media:
Monday I hold the book for the first time (3rd picture below). I posted this picture, one with my coauthor, the index pages of the book, and a picture of the pages with logo's from companies that support the mission of the book.

Linkedin post
(click here to see it)
In the comments I tagged each person that gave me their company logo to put in the book. It were like 44 people tagged. Of course, this was partly to give the post a head-start. Also, linkedin normally is my strongest platform which can easily be seen from the results of the post on different platforms.
The post now has:
272 likes
50+ comments (I always reply so I'm the other 50)
16.3k reach

Currently my 2nd best post ever. My best one has 45k reach so this one won't make it. Amazing results though and great to see some people pre-order the book.

Instagram post (click here to see it)
Never been super active on Instagram, just posting pictures of presentations and such. This one however might actually be my best post. Currently 163 likes and 18 replies.

Facebook post (click here to see it)
Same here, mainly post about progress and business related things, presentations and such. I have my personal page and a 'fan page' (got that when I was an esports athlete). Most traffic on my personal account post, having:
121 likes, 16 comments or something and 7 shares

Twitter post (click here to see it)
Nothing special to say about twitter. My instagram, twitter and Facebook is quite the same content wise. Results:
90 likes
11 retweets
13 replies
7.1k reach

All in all, good stuff :D

Sales
Quite some people pre-ordered the book already before this week and now numbers increase. I don't exactly know the numbers now as I have no direct insight on pre-ordered books.
What I do know is that there will be around 2400 books bought in by shops in NL and this number is still increasing.

The first batch of books will be 5000 (higher than average). We'll see how things go.

Salescall
Someone booked an appointment in my agenda through the website. We had a call and eventually she bought the program we have. Currently this 6-week program is €500, looking to increase that soon when we start our marketing stuff and my book coming out.

Biggest lesson:
Also ask people in your traditional 'free giveaway' post to send you a pb. It will save you a shitload of time. The story above took me some days.

PS:

It's my birthday today and it's been a great week so far. Cool to kick my 28th year off with my book popping in the shops next week :D

Attachments

• 1600940998821.png
    1600940998821.png
    1,022 KB · Views: 9
  • 1600941381046.png
    1600941381046.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 1600941507435.png
    1600941507435.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
First of all, thank you for your great response :)

Love it! It resonates with me a lot because I'm driven by very similar values. Plus, I'm a father of a 10 year old. You have a follower.

Thank you!

Keep going. It's a process, it's not an impulse buy. It starts with the first thought (awareness), goes through passive looking, then more active consideration to finally become a decision. So don't be discouraged if you don't see people throwing their money at you immediately after your presentations. All good.

You've moved them to passive observers, so it's important to ensure you demonstrate a consistent, continuous effort and value creation that they're warming up to. Not everyone will be your target audience, but even those who are (B2B and B2C) need time to make sure they want to work with you.

Absolutely agree with you! These sort of potential projects take some time. I now had the appointment again with my coach/the ceo of that big company that invited me to pitch, and he told the CEO of the media business that ''if they want to do anything with gaming or esports, I'm the guy to connect with''. It's great after all to just have that opportunity to speak for such a high-level audience. Connected with the CEO of the media company on linkedin as well now. Might actually send him a book as at the end of the pitch, he asked me specifically about when my book will come out.

So yea, good to have made this first connection and we'll see where it'll lead too.

Besides, when you start spreading your message also in English, you'll reach many more people. This is where your Scale is.

Population stats:
  • Netherlands: 17 million
  • Australia: 25 million
  • Canada: 37 million
  • United Kingdom: 66 million
  • United States: 328 million
  • Plus the rest of the world that speaks English
I looked at your website and read most of the content. I really like your message and what you have to offer. Why is it not in English yet? The world should see it!

I agree with spreading my message in English. We started with Dutch because that's where we live and it's a bit easier to start certain things. My partners are, for example, talking with municipalities and organisations to cooperate with (B2B) This can lead to a steady stream of pretty high income, but the content must be Dutch for this target audience. So we have Dutch for now to kick things off with, hopefully leading to a steady stream of monthly income due to the partnerships coming up. We of course also reach out to parents (B2C) to help them out directly while we're at it. So currently we do both B2B and B2C.

However, as I have a really big international network through my position at the Global Esports Federation and my experience in the industry for many years, I look forward to us translating everything in 2021. I know we can help many parents across the border and look forward doing so! The numbers you mention are pretty insane right, comparing NL to the others haha. I know many federations and can also do B2B business that way, besides just doing B2C business through marketing.

On that note, I have one comment: I've learned more about you, your processes and approach here than from the website. You use some names of concepts, plans and techniques when you list the content of your courses. But I wouldn't be able to understand what you really mean by them (I understand because you described some of it here in another thread).

I think a bit more explanation, samples of your work and maybe case studies would warm me up a bit more to pay even more. On the other hand, the price of each course is low enough, so that I can just buy them and see what you represent and if your brand is a long term solution for me. So maybe that works well for you? You may need to fill that "trust building" step if you increase the price though.

Just keyboard jockeying here, this assumption needs testing.

Great tip thank you, appreciate you checked out the website and comment about it here! My introduction story on the forum is indeed a lot more in-depth than the 'about me' page of myself on our website. You'd advice to make it more detailed? I was afraid it became to big of a story. Though, I could mix it up with some pictures and videos now I think of it.

About the processes and approach, do you mean how we run the courses, the layout, the text on the 'selling page' of the course itself? Would be good to know what you mean exactly if you'd be so free telling me.

Agree with the case-studies etc! That's one of the things I want to have on the page as soon as possible but we don't have the budget just yet. Also is a bit of 'social proof'. We do have some reviews/testimonials that we got, but we don't yet have a review system on our site for each course. Also, I could indeed say more about what's really 'in' the course. Currently I just write about a few pains that might be familiar, and then have bulletpoints with what's in the course, with at the end the results people can get implementing it. I could write a bit more in the bullet-point section just shortly explaining what that part is about.

On the other hand, the price of each course is low enough, so that I can just buy them and see what you represent and if your brand is a long term solution for me.

We heard this more often indeed. On the one hand it's good that people therefore 'try it' and get in touch with your still young brand. See the value inside, and hopefully talk about it with others. On the other side, we do provide a quality course with lots of value and would like people to really do them for the sake of helping them out. But the salespage of course has to be good enough to make people buy a higher-prices course.

I do have a little bit of a + positioning/trust wise, as a speaker and my book coming out on the 1st of oct. Also working with my partners, which are healthcare professionals, helps. We kinda aim to raise the prices to the 50 - 150 euro mark just before my book comes out (so that new people getting in touch with us see the new prices). This price is something I see more often. We also started to talk about a subscription based model where people pay X per month and have excess to the content and more. It's kinda trial and error I suppose. See how it goes really and adapt based on what we notice

If I was you, I'd ask your recent customers if they could offer you 45-60 minutes of their time to talk about their experience with your product and to help you build something even more valuable in the future.

I'd want to talk to them in person (videocall under current circumstances) to understand nuances of their struggles, value systems, priorities and trade offs. This would help me understand why they chose me, what my competition is, how I can provide more value and what their price sensitivity is.

During the videocall, I wouldn't talk about my ideas at all. Not even about what they need next (because they'd try to be helpful in an unhelpful/biased way). I'd focus on their experiences up to this point. How they felt when they bought the product. What led them to this. What they had tried before (and didn't work). How they found you. When they had thought about something like this for the first time. And so on.

I'd be very empathetic, I wouldn't want to interfere with my preconceptions and my future ideas. This would need to be about them and their story leading to buying the course. No opinions about the product or good/bad answers. Just a human to human interaction to get in their shoes and see - feel - how their life looked like in the last weeks/months. And what led them to giving you their hard earned money.

You may be surprised how much you can learn from that. Including who your real competition is (you're not competing with other courses, you're competing with other solutions they'd tried in the past) and what they'd paid for so far. You should be able to see a clearer picture of what your offering has that other solutions don't and how much they were willing to pay to get their problems solved. This is by far the best indicator of the worth of your solution (if it solves what they were struggling with; productocracy over shallow marketing, right?).

This is great, I will implement that! I can directly email the customers to ask for a call to just explore their experience with the product, what can improve, what was good etc. Also indeed talk about competition, which I agree is other solutions like coaches and municipality stuff, what led them to this and all you said. Noting this and will do! Keep you up to date in this thread about the progress with these calls.

Also, I did this with 1 person so far in the program actually but not to the extend you mention it here. Look forward doing this with others as well!

We also ran a questionnaire and got some good answers about certain courses and such. Some people wrote the course is great, but they do have another remaining question about X or Y (and that can be found in another course again..). This is also the reason I started thinking about a subscription model, making it easier for customers to find the videos they're looking for

These types of questions are tricky because they trigger a "buyer vs seller" mode. Some people will tell you the price was right because they don't want to pay more or want to convince themselves they didn't spend too much. Some will tell you it was too low because they think that's what will please you. So it's much better to observe what they do (past purchasing behaviours) and not what they say.

Yea good point. I think eventually it's just about testing different prices and see what works best. Some people did already have help from someone else, but very often that's municipality related so they actually don't have to pay it themselves. In our case, they do, except for our multi-week program in the future maybe. Low price might be low enough to just try indeed. Higher prices might show more quality and expertise. With my book coming out, we want to test higher prices just for testing purposes.

If you interview your customers the way I described, you'll get your copy material for free. They will tell you - in their own words - what their main frustrations and pain points are, what made them consider your offering, what worked and what didn't in their lives. Take notes, the copy will write itself in their language, word for word.

Absolutely! Now I know my target audiences' problems, pains, frustrations etc. The thing is that the agency doesn't so they can't write the copy or if they show me an example, there's no paints included at all. So I have to write the copy myself for sure. Also, we got a few painpoints on the frontpage of the website, but there's more to play with here. Probably I'll figure some new ones out when calling :)

This is a fantastic thread, keep us posted. And feel free to reach out if you need anything.

Good luck!

Thanks man! Appreciate your time to write your post and check the website. Stay in touch :)

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
This is great!! Before I started studying business I was aspiring FN pro who made top 50 placements multiple times and won against pros that are millionaires. Sadly, I was limited by my parents because they didn't invest in me at all and tried to stop me from playing so much just as I got close to making it. And because of this had terrible equipment which meant I had to practice so much that I got carpel tunnel, then that was the end lmao.

Awesome to hear you where so high up the FN ladder, though sadly indeed that you couldn't continue developing yourself.

Parents can be limiting indeed which makes it difficult to become a professional. In the end, when living at home, parents often have the final word. Support from at least one of them is important to 'make it' in the industry. But even when wanting to become a pro, it's important to have a training schedule and off-time and do other stuff etc. Also, you developed carpel tunnel which makes me wonder how many hours you played on a daily basis?

What's important as a pro, and something I teach people in general, is that a healthy balance is very important. In 2016 I developed a model for this that, in the Netherlands, is called 'Spel Schijf van Vijf'. Internationally I refer to it as '5S-system'. It's about a balance between:
- Sleep --> most important. Has a big impact on all s-es below
- Study --> the smarter you get, the better you'll understand a game mechanically, the quicker you'll get better. Also good for analysing your plays etc
- Sports --> healthy body = healthy mind. All top pro's have fitnesscoaches and more as they understand this. As a player you need a good endurance
- Social life --> need to be able to connect with teammates / managers / fans etc.
- Screens

Gaming is not allowed to have a negative impact on any of the first 4 S-es. If so, it's good to get back into a balanced lifestyle.

Also, how are you doing now? What you up to?

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Facebook replies
Today I noticed my spam folder in FB messenger... Checked it and found out that there were 40+ people that send me a PM there. Uff, thought I was finished yesterday but had to continue some of my copy-pasta work with my tekst template :) Didn't take me too much time though.

Facebook Group
Also, with all these replies, our community Facebook group has grown with 50+ people so far which is good stuff (626 atm). It's great to see people also introduce themselves. Feels really active which I like to see.I put a lot of time and effort in the group, replying to every message, posting updates and news, doing giveaways regularly etc. It's great that there's a growing trend as I've shown in my previous update. Happy about this.

Also, my linkedin post about my book just passed 19k reach which is pretty insane. Seems to slow down now. Also great to see quite some people reply with 'ordered'.

Book
Talking about the book, today the 40 people that received my book for free in exchange for a review got the book. The fact the book comes out and people get it is quite nervewrecking honestly haha. People send some selfies with my book, and also post the book in my Facebook group saying they look forward reading it etc. (picture at the bottom is a screenshot from the group, language = Dutch). It's somewhat weird that people got something in their hands that you've worked on for 3 years. So much knowledge goes into a book. First impressions were great and I hope that continues!

Interview
Got a call from a big newspaper in NL regarding the book. Will have the interview on monday and it'll be published on Wednesday, 1 day before the official launch of the book.

Webinar funnel
1. Agency put a timer on the landingpage. I decided I'll give a LIVE webinar on Tuesday 20:00. After that, I can automate this webinar on wednesday to run every 15 minutes.
2. They'll build a thankyou page after registering for the webinar.
3. I still have to edit the end of the webinar (CTA = phonecall), make my webinar workbook to hand out at the end, and check the email automation from the Webinarjam platform.

Coaching
Had a meeting after like 2.5 months with another businesscoach I have for a longer time now (do pay this one). He's a startup expert guy, works a lot with startups and guides them. With him I often talk about setting goals and thinking of strategies en decisions that are about the 'now', that have a positive effect on the near future.

Funny enough, it seems both my coaches somehow know each other haha. Figured that during the call today when I mentioned I met with the CEO of the 300mil company and that I had a meeting with him last week. Small world.

During the call we spoke about multiple things:
1. Salescalls --> told him about the fact I learned more about salescall and salesstrategies last weekend. We spoke about how you can give my topic a monetary value. I help parents with gaming children. But how much does it cost parents to not help their kids? You can think about this in a financial way, but also work/business way, financial way, study way etc. Eventually it's good to get an idea of how much $$ you can save your potential client by helping them with your offer. It helps with positioning your offer at the end. He also spoke about 'fear' and 'greed', meaning: ''it is normally 700, but now only 500 till the end of the week'' (that sort of stuff).

2. Email --> follow up people that registered for the webinar and watched the webinar, but didn't plan a call. Follow them up with an email that links to my FB page and also to the website with courses and stuff. Send the email at 22:00 (webinar starts 20:00 and takes like 1 hour). It's automated.

3. Translating my content --> this is something @Flint also mentioned. My coach also says the international market is so much bigger than the Netherlands. He mentioned that I also don't have to translate everything myself. I can let the tekst on powerpoint slides be translated by someone else and only spend time recording the videos over in English. This will cost some money, but it will give me more time (as I spend less time translating all my slides from all presentations). So, what will I do with that extra time?

Well, as the webinar will run on autopilot and we'll have calls coming in, I'll be doing salescalls instead of translating my slides. The sales I get from that should cover the costs of the translation done by the person that's going to do it. My conversion on calls was 30% earlier this year, but I think I can get higher after what I learned last weekend.

4. Logo's --> get trusthworthy logo's from other brands on the website that I cooperated with. It builds social proof and trust, which is good for people checking you out. Though, it's good to have brands on the website that have some sort of relationship with what you're selling, not just any big brand. In my case, talking about parents with gaming kids, it's better to have municipalities, healthcare organisations etc support it instead of let's say Samsung.

5. Positioning --> could mention more often I used to be a Medical Master student. It's currently on the 'about you' page, but could use it more often on salespages. Also has to do with trust.

6. Planning --> He told me to make a plan earlier this year. That plan was all about me making all the content for the multi-week program we offer. It took me a shitload of work, working fulltime on powerpoint presentations and recording videos for 4-5 months. Eventually I made a plan as he told me to do, and it really helped me to calm my mind about 'what's next'. I just simply checked my sheet and knew what to do next. It was effecient and calming. He also adviced to not put too much stuff on 1 day. I did, and eventually finished the program 1 month ahead of schedule. This is great though, as working before your set deadline gives you a better feeling than running behind the facts and stressing. Learning point.

7. Salesteam?
--> when the book comes out, and when marketing starts, we will drive traffic to the website and the webinar. People will book calls. The problem is, what to do when there's too many calls coming in? Currently I'm the guy doing the salescalls as I'm the only one from the team that knows how to do those. But when there's too many coming in, do I get a salesteam member, or is there another way hmm. Just gotta make sure as well that I call with the 'right' people. I will add a question in the questionnaire they fill when booking the call about their budget to possibly invest. When too low, I won't call these people and refer them to our other courses etc.

8. Some goals
- Sell 20k books (won't happen in 1 month most likely, will take some time. Should be doable. I seriously have no clue what to expect)
- Get 5000 people on our website in October --> with help of the media attention I'll get for the launch of my book + in my book the website of our business is written on the cover and also in chapter 1 (and a few other times). So pretty sure people will check it out
- Get 30 new people in the program before the end of the year. I'l be testing with different pricepoints as well. 497 is now, but also test with 997, 1497, maybe 1997 etc.
- Have good brainstormsessions with my partners about exponential growth strategies. Make lists, take action
- Rock our upcoming pilot. We'll be running a pilot with a welfare organisation (i guess that's how you call it). We provide 5 times free access to our multi-week program for families they'll find that have problems with a gaming child. We'll then run the pilot, follow up regularly and get results. Gotta make sure the organisation will be pro-active in finding the families and running the pilot. It will take energy and time. BUT, if this pilot goes well and it'll be succesful, we will be able to showcase this to other municipalities in the whole country which might lead to many more partnerships in a shorter amount of time. This B2B route takes long. Pilots... Municipalities stuff... But once you're in, you got a steady stream of good income. It's a more long-term thing.

Attachments

• 1601068515289.png
    1601068515289.png
    453 KB · Views: 2

Flint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 14, 2020
UK
@Koenz, I don't have much time now, but I'll respond soon.

EthanBarr

New Contributor
Sep 22, 2020
Washington, United States
Awesome to hear you where so high up the FN ladder, though sadly indeed that you couldn't continue developing yourself.

Parents can be limiting indeed which makes it difficult to become a professional. In the end, when living at home, parents often have the final word. Support from at least one of them is important to 'make it' in the industry. But even when wanting to become a pro, it's important to have a training schedule and off-time and do other stuff etc. Also, you developed carpel tunnel which makes me wonder how many hours you played on a daily basis?

What's important as a pro, and something I teach people in general, is that a healthy balance is very important. In 2016 I developed a model for this that, in the Netherlands, is called 'Spel Schijf van Vijf'. Internationally I refer to it as '5S-system'. It's about a balance between:
- Sleep --> most important. Has a big impact on all s-es below
- Study --> the smarter you get, the better you'll understand a game mechanically, the quicker you'll get better. Also good for analysing your plays etc
- Sports --> healthy body = healthy mind. All top pro's have fitnesscoaches and more as they understand this. As a player you need a good endurance
- Social life --> need to be able to connect with teammates / managers / fans etc.
- Screens

Gaming is not allowed to have a negative impact on any of the first 4 S-es. If so, it's good to get back into a balanced lifestyle.

Also, how are you doing now? What you up to?
I played/trained any where from 8 - 13 hours a day. However, on my last segment of training before I developed a little bit of carpel tunnel. I trained professionally I would go on reddits and other fourms to learn information, study it in a right way making sure that I retain the information. I would Kovakks (which is an aim trainer) for about 2 hours a day or even more sometimes. This usually happened in the morning, right before I played so I could warm-up before hand. After that I would play scrims with a lot of actual pros competing in them and sometimes shitting on them lol. At the end of the day I would vod-review all of my games and think of what I could do better the next day. It was intense and definitely wasn't an easy field to get into. This is because playing consistent ally and losing sometimes to things that were out of your control was frustrating. As soon as I started to get really good my wrist started feeling weird an tingly so I stopped and thought that it was the end. However the pain literally went away in two weeks, although at this time I decided that I should return to business and entrepreneurship. I realized then, that even if I make money off of playing games that my health, knowledge, sociability, mentality, and skills would be terrible and I would come out of that hole with money but no idea on how to use it.

Flint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 14, 2020
UK
Great progress Koen! This is snowballing faster than I can keep up with. Nice!

Connected with the CEO of the media company on linkedin as well now.

Good, this is something I do as well: open the communication channel as soon as you meet them so you're still fresh in their minds. Also, if LinkedIn is the only way you can contact someone, it's good to leave a positive personalised invitation to connect. The next time you message them, they'll see the conversation history and you don't want it to be a random "me too" message.

Might actually send him a book as at the end of the pitch, he asked me specifically about when my book will come out.

Great idea. Even if he doesn't read it, he'll remember the gesture and what you represent with your name.

I look forward to us translating everything in 2021.

Although I encourage you to become present in the English speaking world, I also think you should focus your efforts on the next big thing that adds the most value to your venture. It may be growing in the Netherlands first, I don't know. So don't get distracted by a single voice and prioritise accordingly.

BTW, I don't speak Dutch and used Google Translate to get familiar with your website. The translation result was pretty good. There would be only minor fixes needed if you decided to translate this way. Not that you need to do it yourself (I'd outsource it), but something to keep in mind if you struggle with cashflow.

About the processes and approach, do you mean how we run the courses, the layout, the text on the 'selling page' of the course itself? Would be good to know what you mean exactly if you'd be so free telling me.

Let's say I've found your website but I'm still only passively browsing. I'm sitting in front of the screen with a cup of coffee and not my credit card. This means I haven't decided I want to choose a new solution to my problem yet and I'm only window shopping. If it was a real store, how would you approach me? Your website is your hired automated assistant that does this job for you.

So I see the main page and I like the message. Yes, it's relevant and it's with real people I can relate to (I like your new intro/origin story and the pictures). You mention digital courses and free resources, but I can't find the latter. Oh, it's a the bottom of the page. Too bad I saw it only a few days later.

I also notice there's a helpful community. This is great, I'd like to meet people like me / in a similar situation and share experiences (BTW might be good to add a direct link somewhere at the top of the page).

I'm looking for tips and other content. There are courses and they seem relevant, they touch on my burning problems. "Help, is my child addicted to gaming?" Ok, I want to find out more. The price isn't high, I spend more when I go to a grocery shop. There's a brief description, the curriculum (7 lessons) and the promise of what I should be able to do or achieve after the course. There's more info that the course consists of 12 videos and is 6 hours long. I'm a bit uncertain what those 7 lessons cover then and how much time is given to each topic. I'm also missing a sample or a preview to find out more about how the course looks like (presenter, presentation style, video and sound quality). But no matter, it's quite cheap, so I don't mind.

The price is a no-brainer, but I think you'd need a bit more content to convey value for a more pricey offering. Personally, I like short videos where I could see the person delivering the course introducing the product to me. Just like you'd welcome me in your store or open the presentation.

Agree with the case-studies etc! That's one of the things I want to have on the page as soon as possible but we don't have the budget just yet. Also is a bit of 'social proof'. We do have some reviews/testimonials that we got, but we don't yet have a review system on our site for each course. Also, I could indeed say more about what's really 'in' the course. Currently I just write about a few pains that might be familiar, and then have bulletpoints with what's in the course, with at the end the results people can get implementing it. I could write a bit more in the bullet-point section just shortly explaining what that part is about.

Exactly.

On the one hand it's good that people therefore 'try it' and get in touch with your still young brand. See the value inside, and hopefully talk about it with others. On the other side, we do provide a quality course with lots of value and would like people to really do them for the sake of helping them out. But the salespage of course has to be good enough to make people buy a higher-prices course.

I'm not sure what the price of your book will be, but in principle books are "introductions" that build trust and are an entry point to further offerings. So as such the book may fill the price & trust gap if you increase the prices of other products. But there's no reason to not have short videos on the website where you guys build a story, present snippets of concepts etc.

Have a look at how landing pages for other courses are structured in places like Udemy, Coursera or Teachable. I'd search for courses from a similar niche (e.g. parenting) and compare what's the value for money, too.

BTW, your TEDx talk is not easy to find. And the interviews list... I'm not sure many people will browse through all of them. Why not select a few most relevant ones? Also they seem to be targeted at different audiences, such as gamers at esport events or parents of gaming children. Who's Parents of Play's audience though?

We kinda aim to raise the prices to the 50 - 150 euro mark just before my book comes out (so that new people getting in touch with us see the new prices). This price is something I see more often.

Have a look here, may be helpful: The Basics Of Pricing

This is great, I will implement that! I can directly email the customers to ask for a call to just explore their experience with the product, what can improve, what was good etc. Also indeed talk about competition, which I agree is other solutions like coaches and municipality stuff, what led them to this and all you said. Noting this and will do! Keep you up to date in this thread about the progress with these calls.

I meant something slightly different. Imagine you can't mention or ask about your product at all. How would you run this then?

If you want, we can have a call and you can dry run your interview and test your questions on me. Plus I can show you how I'd do it. Drop me a DM if you're interested.

We also ran a questionnaire and got some good answers about certain courses and such. Some people wrote the course is great, but they do have another remaining question about X or Y (and that can be found in another course again..).

All these are unmet needs, right? Good real feedback and little breadcrumbs to follow.

Some people did already have help from someone else, but very often that's municipality related so they actually don't have to pay it themselves. In our case, they do, except for our multi-week program in the future maybe. Low price might be low enough to just try indeed. Higher prices might show more quality and expertise. With my book coming out, we want to test higher prices just for testing purposes.

This is interesting. I didn't realise there's a solution someone else pays for. Do you know your value skew (competitive advantage) compared to that?

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
I played/trained any where from 8 - 13 hours a day. However, on my last segment of training before I developed a little bit of carpel tunnel. I trained professionally I would go on reddits and other fourms to learn information, study it in a right way making sure that I retain the information. I would Kovakks (which is an aim trainer) for about 2 hours a day or even more sometimes. This usually happened in the morning, right before I played so I could warm-up before hand. After that I would play scrims with a lot of actual pros competing in them and sometimes shitting on them lol. At the end of the day I would vod-review all of my games and think of what I could do better the next day. It was intense and definitely wasn't an easy field to get into. This is because playing consistent ally and losing sometimes to things that were out of your control was frustrating. As soon as I started to get really good my wrist started feeling weird an tingly so I stopped and thought that it was the end. However the pain literally went away in two weeks, although at this time I decided that I should return to business and entrepreneurship. I realized then, that even if I make money off of playing games that my health, knowledge, sociability, mentality, and skills would be terrible and I would come out of that hole with money but no idea on how to use it.

Great insight congratulations! You will be much better off because of that and do great in business and entrepreneurship if you bring over the same learning attitude to business where you have much more leverage!

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Update

Webinar/funnel
I wanted to invite people yesterdag afternoon/evening for today's webinar that I'll do live at 20:00. Because I recently shared 200+ messages with people on Facebook that were interested in my book, I can use that audience to fill the webinar.

Problem was that the agency made a few mistakes. They said the timer on the registration page was correct and my 'thankyou for registering' video was put on the 'thankyou' page. But both of these didn't work and I only noticed after their working hours as I trusted it would be fine. Couldn't reach them anymore, so I couldn't send all the invites 1 day before the webinar.

It's quite annoying as I believe the show-up rate will be a lot higher letting people know about the webinar a day before instead of on the same day, this due to planning and expectations of what they'll be doing that evening.

Now I'm doubting doing the webinar tomorrow (1st of Oct). The luxury problem I'm in though is media-attention regarding my book. I'm not sure if I'll be in a talkshow as multiple shows are interested in having me. They often let you know very late which would cause an issue if it's the same evening as the webinar.

Book interviews/media attention
Media attention is increasing regarding the launch of the book tomorrow. We (me and my coauthor) currently had our book shown in:
- 8 newspapers including 3 national papers and 5 more regional ones (the south-side of NL). Put 1 picture of a paper in the attachments below
- 2 radio interviews on national channels

Today I've got 2 interviews planned. One with a national news website, and another one is actually very big as it's a TV-newsshow (for the Dutch here: Hart van Nederland) and they'll make a short item about the book for probably tonight already.

Also had a phonecall with a talkshow yesterday, it's one of the top 2 ones in NL. They are very interested and would love to have us, but gotta plan it due to all the corona news. They're not sure yet 'if' and when if so. They asked availability this week and next at least, I'm open all evenings. We are also in touch with other talkshows and the publisher of my book had calls with them already, but they didn't yet got in touch with me or my coauthor.

LinkedIn post about my book
Still growing somehow. Currently at:
- 364 likes
- 127 comments (includes my replies)
- 24.050 reach

Paypal influencer stuff
So basically you have to make the picture, write the tekst, make the stories for instagram but not upload them, and send it to them for checkups.
Got the reply that my story video was a bit static with lots of info in a short amount of time and not much interaction with the audience watching

So, yesterday while travelling to an appointment I recorded new video's where I basically ask questions to the viewers and make them vote each time, and then I give the answer after. We'll see what they think of it, I've send it. Hopefully it's good this way and I don't have to spend to much time to it as I got other stuff as well. Nonetheless, the 900euros is a nice bonus I can use and for the time it takes it's great.

Addiction clinic cooperation
Now this is pretty cool news. I know the founder and owner of an addiction clinic already for a while now, ever since we were both invited on radio. He also got interviewed for my book and has quotes in the book.

In like July/August we were in touch and he invited me to comeby oneday, so I did. Great conversation, interested in working together. They have gamingaddicted teens they help, and also have a (physical) parent program. Each 10 weeks they get 16 new teens, often 2 or 3 are gamers. Currently we're allowed to send a quote for the following options:

1. Give a 1-day presentation/workshop each 5 weeks, which includes me and one of my partners, for the teens in the clinic

2. Help the parents with our (online) program. We do have to change some stuff to align it with the clinic. We won't change our existing program, but will make a copy of ours on the backend and change some bits. This page will also be hidden and we'll only share the link to the clinic so they can give it to the parents. Our program has a lot more in-depth knowledge, steps, advice etc regarding specifically this topic (gaming). We'll earn money from each family getting our program of course. So basically we sell 2-3 programs each 10 weeks. Gotta think of a good price.

Another extra is that if they get calls from people, but these cases are not severe enough to put them in the clinic, they'll forward them to us.

On the other hand, we will refer people to them when we get calls of people that really need help from a clinic to solve the problem.

Facebook group
Currently at 640 members

@Flint @EthanBarr I'll get back to you soon :)

Attachments

• BD boek1.jpg
    BD boek1.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Love your stuff. I'll sent you a pm.

About the technology aspect. GrooveFunnels will dominate the space but you are probably a bit too early to use it for the stage of your company. (Saying that as a top10 affiliate for them).

Clickfunnels is super expensive and overhyped.

In the end, it really depends what you want to optimize for.

Personally I would recommend a Wordpress solution on the frontend for SEO and some type of ALL-in-one software like GrooveFunnels or Kartra (or Clickfunnels) in the backend.

That way you get the best of all worlds because Wordpress is super flexible.

Appreciate your feedback and recommendation! It's difficult to make choices with all options. Currently I truly cope with things head on. When we need it, I check for it and make a choice. Currently though things are up 'n running. The agency is working with clickfunnels and we only pay them a commission of the sales we get from ads (10%).

I do think eventually I like to control it myself. Or, instead of giving myself extra work, get an employee to do it. But we'll first check this route.

Also, I saw your PM reply soon!

Sounds like you are right on track. Just keep going :)

Thanks man! :D

Great insight congratulations! You will be much better off because of that and do great in business and entrepreneurship if you bring over the same learning attitude to business where you have much more leverage!

I agree with @Martin Boeddeker here @EthanBarr. Your dedication and motivation were unbelievable. If you can take that attitude into business.. uff. Keep working out and living a balanced lifestyle, but put all the time you have into a business, or ideas, brainstorming etc you can get far in a short amount of time. I kinda recognise myself in this as I used to put my free time in gaming but now put all my time in a business that links to the gaming industry. Doesn't feel like work, more a hobby.

What are you into now Ethan?

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Great progress Koen! This is snowballing faster than I can keep up with. Nice!

Thank you!

Good, this is something I do as well: open the communication channel as soon as you meet them so you're still fresh in their minds. Also, if LinkedIn is the only way you can contact someone, it's good to leave a positive personalised invitation to connect. The next time you message them, they'll see the conversation history and you don't want it to be a random "me too" message.

Yea I always add people immediately. When I get an email about a meeting for example and multiple people are either mentioned or CC-ed, I always add the whole list to linkedin referring to looking forward to speaking soon (invite message). Good to build a network that way.

Great idea. Even if he doesn't read it, he'll remember the gesture and what you represent with your name.

Wrote him a message on LinkedIn about me sending him a book. Reason is that I don't know his address and it's not online hehe. But at least sending the message represents the gesture.

Although I encourage you to become present in the English speaking world, I also think you should focus your efforts on the next big thing that adds the most value to your venture. It may be growing in the Netherlands first, I don't know. So don't get distracted by a single voice and prioritise accordingly.

BTW, I don't speak Dutch and used Google Translate to get familiar with your website. The translation result was pretty good. There would be only minor fixes needed if you decided to translate this way. Not that you need to do it yourself (I'd outsource it), but something to keep in mind if you struggle with cashflow.

Well, we already had a goal to translate things in 2021 due to many chances and a big international network I have. So it was already the plan. But, nonetheless, the focus is currently on the Dutch speaking market also due to my book being Dutch.

Good to see google translate was pretty good, might test that when we're in the phase of translating hah! I will also outsource it, or that's the plan at the moment. Let's see how it goes cashflow wise indeed.

Let's say I've found your website but I'm still only passively browsing. I'm sitting in front of the screen with a cup of coffee and not my credit card. This means I haven't decided I want to choose a new solution to my problem yet and I'm only window shopping. If it was a real store, how would you approach me? Your website is your hired automated assistant that does this job for you.

So I see the main page and I like the message. Yes, it's relevant and it's with real people I can relate to (I like your new intro/origin story and the pictures). You mention digital courses and free resources, but I can't find the latter. Oh, it's a the bottom of the page. Too bad I saw it only a few days later.

I also notice there's a helpful community. This is great, I'd like to meet people like me / in a similar situation and share experiences (BTW might be good to add a direct link somewhere at the top of the page).

I'm looking for tips and other content. There are courses and they seem relevant, they touch on my burning problems. "Help, is my child addicted to gaming?" Ok, I want to find out more. The price isn't high, I spend more when I go to a grocery shop. There's a brief description, the curriculum (7 lessons) and the promise of what I should be able to do or achieve after the course. There's more info that the course consists of 12 videos and is 6 hours long. I'm a bit uncertain what those 7 lessons cover then and how much time is given to each topic. I'm also missing a sample or a preview to find out more about how the course looks like (presenter, presentation style, video and sound quality). But no matter, it's quite cheap, so I don't mind.

The price is a no-brainer, but I think you'd need a bit more content to convey value for a more pricey offering. Personally, I like short videos where I could see the person delivering the course introducing the product to me. Just like you'd welcome me in your store or open the presentation.

This was gold! I even shared these things in the community facebook group we have to let them know we're going to work on this in the near future. I fully agree! Know Udemy indeed has these few videos of just af couple of minutes long to get an idea of how the course is like. Brilliant. Even though it doesn't work the exact same on our platform, I can put a video on the page that people can click on. Might be a good place to start with these introduction videos.

Also, having a button at the top for the free training (which will become webinar soon) and a button for the community is smart. The community is an indirect sales channel really. We've already sold some courses and things due to the community. Leading people to the community is important but now hidden on the frontpage. Good point.

I'm not sure what the price of your book will be, but in principle books are "introductions" that build trust and are an entry point to further offerings. So as such the book may fill the price & trust gap if you increase the prices of other products. But there's no reason to not have short videos on the website where you guys build a story, present snippets of concepts etc.

The book is 23.50 decided by the publisher. Publisher is very well known and has quote some bestsellers on its name. They put a lot of attention and effort in the book, also PR wise and doing market research for similar books (which there were none off).

Yet again I agree, having short videos on the 'salespages' will help people to get an idea of what they get.

Have a look at how landing pages for other courses are structured in places like Udemy, Coursera or Teachable. I'd search for courses from a similar niche (e.g. parenting) and compare what's the value for money, too.

I did! Actually made a google docs list about stuff that I've found (see attachment). I did check many other places than Udemy as well. What I notice with Udemy is that many courses are always super 'cheap' with the ''oh look you get 75% discount'' stuff on ever course. I got the feeling Udemy isn't really a good place to compare too. Hence I also checked for other coaches, specialists, websites etc that have courses. I didn't know about Coursera and actually forgot about Teachable. Those will be interesting to look at. Thanks man! :)

BTW, your TEDx talk is not easy to find. And the interviews list... I'm not sure many people will browse through all of them. Why not select a few most relevant ones? Also they seem to be targeted at different audiences, such as gamers at esport events or parents of gaming children. Who's Parents of Play's audience though?

Good point. Good to chose some articles to link on my 'about me' page and only at the bottom mention something like 'for more.. click here' or something. The audience is parents with gaming children, but the list is full with articles about all sorts of stuff. Can use it in different ways, but on this particular 'about me' page it is good to make a choice.

Have a look here, may be helpful: The Basics Of Pricing

Yea know about this page. Thought, knowing the value of your course remains difficult to me. We help parents with gaming kids, we do improve relationships etc. So how much is that worth. So yea, we changed the prices a bit which I'll mention in my next update post. See how it goes

I meant something slightly different. Imagine you can't mention or ask about your product at all. How would you run this then?

If you want, we can have a call and you can dry run your interview and test your questions on me. Plus I can show you how I'd do it. Drop me a DM if you're interested.

Will send a dm

All these are unmet needs, right? Good real feedback and little breadcrumbs to follow.

Correct! Their question is answered in another course, but they don't know they can find it there. Also, some questions are so specific that it's only 1 video in that other course that's relevant to them. This made me think of also having a subscription model where people get access to the content. Maybe have different tiers with the higher ones also having meetups or groupcalls etc. It's an interesting concept. I can imagine some people in the community being interested in this. Will test this soon by asking our community about it :)

This is interesting. I didn't realise there's a solution someone else pays for. Do you know your value skew (competitive advantage) compared to that?

Yep! So the municipality, or healthcare organisations, can help people by financing the 'solution' they need. This is mainly used for people with really problematic gamers / addicted gamers. The problem is that the municipality, or these organisations, don't know much about gaming or coping with gaming children specifically, which is something we're specialised in.

Also, we attract a much bigger audience. While they mainly provide support for the niche with problematic/addicted gamers, there's a looot of people that are not in a super bad situation but still need some help, or information, or advise etc. We also provide that with our courses. We even help people that have no problem at all but just want to know more about gaming, hence our 'introduction in the gaming industry' course.

What's interesting though is that we are looking to work together with these municipalities and clinics / organisations, and they are interested in our work. They can provide parents that need help with our products. Therefore the municipality or organisation would pay FOR the parent, making it 'free' for the consumer. That can be a huge step. More about this in my upcoming update

Attachments

• 1601637664466.png
    1601637664466.png
    586 KB · Views: 4

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Update 4th of October 2020

My Book
Well. The book launched on Thursday, 1st of October, and we got quite some publicity in the Netherlands. I'll summarize it below:
- 7 newspapers covering the south half of NL
- 9 online articles on news websites - all big national pages. Some are targeted to woman which is exactly our target audience
- 3 online articles in English. Suppose they were translated from the Dutch online articles
- 1 blog on a big speakersagency website
- 3x big national radio stations
- 2 pretty big magazines coming up still
- 1x national TV in a news show. Still talking with others for upcoming week
- Few companies doing giveaways with the book

Some might be thinking: how?
1. Check the publisher you're choosing for your book.
How many do they publish each year? Mine does only16 books a year, therefore providing lots of attention to each book and trying their best to make it a success.
Did their books get in the media before and do they have a PR person? That often means they have existing connections with media and they can function as the one connecting the writers with the media.
Do they have bestsellers on their name? Bestsellers build credibility and a name for the publisher as well.

2. Build your own connections.
First time I got interviewed was 2014. Each year it got more. When I get calls from them, I always save their number with their name and media channel. I always tell them I'll keep 'm updated when things in the gaming/esports industry are happening, as it's easier for me to follow than for them (as I'm in the industry). That means I position myself. I barely ever whatsapp them, but when I do it's often in the media.
Also, if you either email or call them, if you got a name try to add them on LinkedIn so they can stay up to date with what you're doing.

3. Just reach out.
The PR lady of my publisher simply wrote to many editors of TV, radio and papers, sending them a PDF copy of the book. Besides that, I also reached out to people on whatsapp, and the other writer also reached out to people. If people don't know about it, they won't make an item about it. If they know about it, they can choose to make an item about it. Big difference.

I don't yet know anything about the sales. The first press is 5000 books which apparently is high, got told that the average here is 2000 - 3000 books. But 2 chain stores in NL already wanted 2380 books so yea. But we can't check sales in those stores until they order again at the publisher. Of course the book can also be bought online. We'll see how things turn out :)

LinkedIn Post
I just keep coming back sharing the LinkedIn post numbers as it keeps increasing. Though, it goes slowly now so probably stopping soon. Currently:
- 395 likes
- 141 comments (including my reactions to all comments. Always interact with people that comment!)
- 27.728 reach

Tips and my potential mistake for a bigger reach
(In case you want to see the post: click here)
1. You have to know that when people scroll through linkedin, they'll only see a maximum of 3 lines of text. So you gotta make it appealing. I always write a bit of text and at the end use the arrow-down emotes at the end.
2. Use emotes. It used to be super serious etc. Nowadays many people use emotes everywhere and they do grab attention. I always use an emote at the start of a new paragraph, or for every bulletpoint. That gets me to 3
3. Dont write 1 big text, use spaces and bulletpoints. Easy and quicker to read and understand what's going on. See my post as an example.
4. Hashtags? Now I don't know about hashtags and how much they help or not. I just learned from a LinkedIn specialist that using 3 hashtags is good. Use 1 really big one, 1 niche one, and 1 big, medium or small (so basically, whatever).
5. Use tags. Tag people or businesses if they have to do with your post. For example, check the first comment on my post about my book. Just look at the amount of people I tagged there. Why? Because these are all the individuals that gave me the logo of the company they own/work for and I thanked them for the support (besides making sure it generates traffic to my post)
6. Always use visuals and not just text. Have a picture, a video, or potentially a link but check out what I say below:

Mistake?
Not sure if it's a mistake because it also led to some booksales. However, putting a link in your post will have a big negative impact on your reach. LinkedIn, like any other platform, wants to keep people hooked on their platform and not guide them to another place. Therefore they won't push your message as much.

For example, check out this post I did at the beginning of the year: click here. It got 'only' (in comparison) 294 likes, 43 comments (which includes my replies) BUT A 44.062 REACH. And my current linkedin post with almost 400 likes and 141 comments is at 27k. Big differences.

Now what I read about is that, IF you refer in your post to you posting the links in the comment section, that the link in the comment section does not have an effect on your reach. Not sure a bout it as I barely share links anyway, but can anyone confirm?

Webinar

So as mentioned before I did webinars earlier this year. Though, they were almost 2 hours long. Suprisingly people always stayed till the end and sometimes I got 30% of the people sign up for a call.

Still, I wanted to make it shorter just to check what it'd do. I rebuild the 2hr webinar presentation into a shorter one and reached out to people with the link organically. Who did I write?

Reaching my audience
Well, remember that 250 people commented on me giving away 40 books for reviews. Well, those are the people that showed interest. And quite many wrote me a pm about the book as I eventually asked them to do that. So I simply made a template and copy-paste about the webinar. Problem though: I did it in the afternoon/evening before the actual webinar, so many couldnt attend due to already having plans. Also, a big portion simply didn't see it.

Why not wait a day? Well, I gave the webinar on Wednesday evening 20:00. And Thursday my book would come out and I didn't know for sure if I had to be at a talkshow on Thursday or Friday and I didn't want to risk planning the webinar but then be invited for a talkshow. Hence the reason I said 'fck it', just do it and see what happens.

Numbers

I'm also included in the 109 visitors. Eventually 32 signed up, but I also got people sign up for the replay as they said they couldn't make it. However, looking at only 2 replay attendees, people didn't check it.

The webinar was fine but my sales part at the end felt too salesy too me this time. I changed it a bit compared with previous times, changing it to how someone else I know does it. In the end 1 person signed up for the call out of the 10 watching at the end. Highest concurrent viewers was 13.

Questionnaire difference
When signing up (through Calendly) I make people answer a questionnaire. I added a question which is money related so I can get an idea of what to offer on the phone. Basically my question is:
''How much are you willing to invest in your child, the relationship and the future of all involved? Based on your answer, I'll advise a more effective and faster route, or a slower and more independent route.''

Answers being:
- No, I can't or am not willing to invest in my child, my relationship and the future of all involved
- Yes, I can and I'm willing to .... with 20-100
- Yes, I can and I'm willing to .... with 500 - 1500 in the coming 3 months
- Yes, I can and I'm willing to .... with 1500 - 3000 in the coming 3 months

It gives an idea, but not always the truth
That 1 person that booked the call answered with 500-1500, but she was under administration and therefore isn't able to decide on what she does with her money.. So basically, she had 0. She, however, is super motivated an wants to start our program and honestly, it does really fit her situation. She's gonna talk with her administrator on monday but chances are minimal she signs up.

Funny that this was the first booked call with this question included :D

Facebook group & questionnaire
Current members: 660 (+20 since my last post 4 days ago)

I think the Facebook group can become one of our really strong saleschannels in time. We share news, content, stuff about my book at the moment, people are writing messages themselves etc.

2 people booked a call and 1 will soon. 1 person wrote about her situation at home. I commented, we had a short chat, asked her to email me and then she registered for the call. Her answer on that investment question: 1500 - 3000. Keep you updated.

Another person replied on our comments with ''following, I'm in a similar situation''. I mentioned we won't write comments anymore as we're going to speak to one another. Asked her to send me an email which she'll do. I'll then ask her to book a call.

The other person that booked a call came out of the blue, I suppose through our website as we have the 'book a call' button on our website on the page of our program. However, she planned the call for the 23rd of November haha, so I wrote an email to double check this date.

Product (course) prices increase
The courses were €9.95 and €19.95, increased them to €19.95 and €39.95. Why? To just check what happens. I initially wanted to increase them to normal course-prices I found online being around the €100 mark, but thanks to @Flint and his feedback that I took into account, we build it up slowly.

I announced the increase in our Facebookgroup with an explanation of why. People reacted positively. Also, I announced I'd increase it in the evening at 8pm while I wrote the post in the morning. Therefore giving people a bit of a buffer to still get something if they wanted for the lower price. People did, we sold 4 courses of €20 euros getting €80 from this post in the group.

Like @Flint mentioned before, the price is a no-brainer at the pricepoint we had before. Even ''to just try'' could be a motivation to buy the courses. But, in order to get to higher pricepoints, your salespage needs to be on point which ours isn't just yet.

Improvements we have to make - thanks to @Flint sharing his thoughts:
1. Get some reviews on the page
2. Have short introduction videos on the page so people get an idea of the content, the style, the sound, the way of talking etc.
3. How much time is each lesson in the course
4. More information about what that lesson contains or is about

Other website improvements we'll look at (again, thanks @Flint hah)
1. Get a button in the navigation for our 'free training' (which will become the webinar when automated btw)
2. Get a button in the navigation that leads to our community

Therefore, our free training is easier to find + our community (as mentioned, important for us) is easier to find. Both are a bit hidden now.

Will keep you updated about the improvements. Priority for me is getting the webinar finished and automated, then run some ads to it so we get salescalls. Then I'll focus on improving the organic side.

Subscription model?
Funny how I write about this, while this was actually one of the first ever things I thought about when building the business on the background. Eventually I choose to go for a 1-time payment option, but now the subscription model gets in my mind again. Why?

Well, we ran a questionnaire to our customers recently (one of the posts above includes this). We got great positive responses. But, one thing I noticed a few times is people buying and following a course, learning from it, but still having a particular question. However, this specific question is answered in another course. This makes it interesting.

1. Do they not know they can find their answer in another course? They're question is often so specific it's only 1 video in that other course.. Is it even useful then to invest in a whole course while you need 1 video in that course? Interesting.

2. Subscription model --> you can have all content available as a subscription with multiple tiers etc. If people have a specific question, they can find the video about it. They don't have to pay for a whole course of 10 videos or smth when they only actually need 1 video in that course.

Would you give them access to all content we have at 1 go or drip it? Like each week X videos? Something to think about.

Also, a subscription model would give us more insights in our recurring monthly income.

I think it's pretty valid to say we would be able to get people sign up for this. We can start as low as 5 or 10 a month, and eventually have a top package for 50 or 100 (or whatever) with weekly groupcalls with these people, access to events etc whatever you can think.

I like to think about a subscription model in the near future with different tiers that suit different people.

Our one-off pay courses would still exist for the people that obviously don't want to pay montly for something.

Clinic cooperation
Positive news! Had a meeting last week, great connection with these people. The director of the clinic said we should provide them with 2 quotations where we mention our price for our services.

The one is about giving a workshop every 5 weeks to the gaming addicted teens in the clinic. The other is about the price of our program for the parents of these teens in the clinic. The clinic might pay it for the parents as they want the parents to follow our program.

We do have to adjust some small things in the program to match the clinic's goals. So I'll just make a copy in the backend of our current program, make it an invisible link that I only give to the clinic, and then change some stuff in that program to match the goals of the clinic.

They get 2 to 3 gaming addicted teens in their clinic each 10 weeks (that's how long they stay). Meaning we'd be giving 2 to 3 programs each 10 weeks.

Eventually this cooperation will give us a stable income of a couple of thousand euros.

Pilot with our program
Will start soon. It should've started early september but due to something happening at the organisation we run the pilot with, they couldn't let the meeting continue. We will now meet with them next week.

They'll select a couple of families that'll run through our program. We all follow them up, get feedback, get results etc. If it's positive, we can then 'sell' our program to other municipalities and organisations as a cost-effective prevention method for problematic gamers. This route can become very intersting longer term.

Book 2.0?
Currently at my parents while writing this. My mom saw me typing a lot and asked ''are you writing a second book?'' I'm like ''no, just writing an update on a forum..'':rofl:

Flint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 14, 2020
UK
Update 4th of October 2020

Well, we ran a questionnaire to our customers recently (one of the posts above includes this). We got great positive responses. But, one thing I noticed a few times is people buying and following a course, learning from it, but still having a particular question. However, this specific question is answered in another course. This makes it interesting.

1. Do they not know they can find their answer in another course? They're question is often so specific it's only 1 video in that other course.. Is it even useful then to invest in a whole course while you need 1 video in that course? Interesting.

Just a thought: is the question worth a dedicated course or a workshop on this specific topic?

Bekit

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2018
Congrats on the progress! It's very exciting to read, and there are a ton of gold nuggets in your updates.

2. Build your own connections.
First time I got interviewed was 2014. Each year it got more. When I get calls from them, I always save their number with their name and media channel. I always tell them I'll keep 'm updated when things in the gaming/esports industry are happening, as it's easier for me to follow than for them (as I'm in the industry). That means I position myself. I barely ever whatsapp them, but when I do it's often in the media.
Also, if you either email or call them, if you got a name try to add them on LinkedIn so they can stay up to date with what you're doing.

^^This is GOLD.

Now what I read about is that, IF you refer in your post to you posting the links in the comment section, that the link in the comment section does not have an effect on your reach. Not sure a bout it as I barely share links anyway, but can anyone confirm?

I can't confirm from experience, but I've read the same thing.

Keep up the good work!

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Just a thought: is the question worth a dedicated course or a workshop on this specific topic?

Some do yes. One feedback element was about the fact she wanted some more steps and guidance on how to start a conversation about gaming with her kid.

In our program, the second week is all about communication and how to engage with children, order of questions to ask, different kinds of questions, non-verbal communication, tonality, making rules and more.

Now, I could put a part of this week online so that it kinda matches the pricepoint of our higher courses now (40euros). I can't put the whole week stuff in 1 course due to the program being a lot more expensive and therefore I'd undervalue this specific week if I would put this whole week online for 40euros, or 100 or even 200.

I actually already thought a while ago about putting some videos of this week together in 1 smaller course and price it. Still gotta check what video's I'd use. I find it difficult to select some videos to put in the course and leave the rest out as I know the rest is important as well. Maybe just start with a few videos and see how people react and add or delete over time. The price will fluctuate as well depending on whats inside

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Congrats on the progress! It's very exciting to read, and there are a ton of gold nuggets in your updates.

^^This is GOLD.

I can't confirm from experience, but I've read the same thing.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks @Bekit, appreciate it! Great to hear you take some value from my thread :)
Interesting you've read the same thing. I'll keep an eye on it at least with my posts

Koenz

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 6, 2020
Amsterdam
Update 5th of October 2020

Book
Managed to sell 250 books in 1 go :D
I know some entrepreneurs in my industry that are working on a great project which I'm part of as well. They will officially open their business on the 9th of October with guests coming and a whole tv show.

I was asked to present the TV show and in return they want to buy books so they can give them to all the guests. Pretty good deal if you ask me. They get a 30% discount from the publisher making the price around €4100.

Besides that, it's great to see some guests again and meet new one #networking. My first guest that day will be the president of the National Olympic Committee - National Sports Federation in the Netherlands. I know her already but haven't seen or spoke to her in a while. So this is also good to catch up with some people. I will interview them and host the show basically. Fun stuff.

Salescall that came via the Facebook group
Uff that one was difficult. Woman with a very autistic son. Not many frustrations between her and her son around gaming, she used to be a gamer herself. Her kid also plays 2 to 3 hours a day as that's the rule in the house. The problem for her was that he doesn't do anything else than gaming. So besides playing 2-3 hours, he doesn't do sports, or anything social etc. Only goes to school 3 mornings a week.

Our multi-week program simply wasn't a good fit for her so I said that. Besides the fact she also noticed it's probably not the solution to her problem.

I then also asked my collegue, specialised in gaming and autism, to join the call and luckily he was free at that moment in time. He had some great input. Eventually we advised her some things that she really appreciated and we also adviser her to do our small course called 'Autism and gaming' (€40). She thought it was cheap as she's used to higher prices for courses and educational stuff, so that was good to hear after increasing the prices recently. She didn't yet buy the course yet though.

Putting in time and effort at the start
This call eventually was 1 hour and 45 minutes orso. One might thing we're crazy putting so much time into someone that eventually leads to a €40 sale or who knows, maybe nothing. What I think is interesting is building the foundation of your business for the long run.

We call with everyone that books an appointment. We listen, we care, we advise and we sell stuff. Sometimes we don't sell stuff. Whatever the result, people feel heard. These people are the ones that will be interacting in our Facebook group. These are people that might say to friends or family ''hey, those guys really listen and try to help'', creating little ambassadors, maybe.

I like to think long term and I think that in the stage of our business, providing this support to our community and the people that book the calls is important. Of course, without losing sight of the fact we do need to sell stuff and continue building our brand and grow.

Like someone (she did buy a course) said in the questionnaire we did not too long ago: ''very remarkable how accessible you are. I haven't yet got in touch, but it does give me a comforting feeling. I don't know if you're going to be just as accessible after the starting phase of your business? At least it's very pleasant for now!''

I hope to provide this feeling to everyone and make it something our brands becomes known for.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
We listen, we care, we advise and we sell stuff. Sometimes we don't sell stuff. Whatever the result, people feel heard. These people are the ones that will be interacting in our Facebook group. These are people that might say to friends or family ''hey, those guys really listen and try to help'', creating little ambassadors, maybe.

I like to think long term and I think that in the stage of our business, providing this support to our community and the people that book the calls is important. Of course, without losing sight of the fact we do need to sell stuff and continue building our brand and grow.

Like someone (she did buy a course) said in the questionnaire we did not too long ago: ''very remarkable how accessible you are. I haven't yet got in touch, but it does give me a comforting feeling. I don't know if you're going to be just as accessible after the starting phase of your business? At least it's very pleasant for now!''

I hope to provide this feeling to everyone and make it something our brands becomes known for.
It's always a trade-off. The more success you have the more you need to raise your prices or automate things via 1 to many selling.

Almost every company starts small with an extreme customer care, espeically almost expert and learning businesses.

Keep going. :)

AndreP

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
Hello everybody, i'm the compagnon of Koen (the guy who Koen mentioned in the first post ;)

Great to see the Posts of Koen, this way everybody can follow our great journey of our business "Parents of Play".

Please keep us giving feebdack, we appreciate it. And Koen keep on posting the great updates, you're better in it then i am.

Flint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 14, 2020
UK
Some do yes. One feedback element was about the fact she wanted some more steps and guidance on how to start a conversation about gaming with her kid.

In our program, the second week is all about communication and how to engage with children, order of questions to ask, different kinds of questions, non-verbal communication, tonality, making rules and more.

Now, I could put a part of this week online so that it kinda matches the pricepoint of our higher courses now (40euros). I can't put the whole week stuff in 1 course due to the program being a lot more expensive and therefore I'd undervalue this specific week if I would put this whole week online for 40euros, or 100 or even 200.

I actually already thought a while ago about putting some videos of this week together in 1 smaller course and price it. Still gotta check what video's I'd use. I find it difficult to select some videos to put in the course and leave the rest out as I know the rest is important as well. Maybe just start with a few videos and see how people react and add or delete over time. The price will fluctuate as well depending on whats inside

I'll tell you how I look at this. I see people stuck or struggling with a problem in their life. It may have been slowly growing frustration or a f* this event. Either way, there's a push from the moment of struggle and they're looking for a solution. This is where the need is born. They may have tried other solutions or not, but there's something blocking them from achieving higher level of satisfaction in this area of their life.

They find your courses and community. They see that the potential upside is higher than the cost. If it works, they gain a lot and the actual value added to their life is massive. If it doesn't, they don't lose much. So it's ok to pull the trigger. In a sense it's like a path of least resistance. They try to fit something into their life and apply parts of different solutions to see what helps. As such, they're not interested in the overall product portfolio you offer. Or in other words, what they buy from you is not necessarily what you think you sell. Also, they need the right bits of information/support at the right time. This is a journey. Both at the microscale of navigating your content and the macroscale of growth in their life.

They may find one of your courses useful, apply it and move on. Or they may improve something just a bit and still struggle with something past that point. Follow both cases. See where they want to get and what blocks them. Or where they've gone. Even if you help them resolve one part, they'll get blocked again by something next or hit a plateau. Like we all do. Help them at multiple points along their journey and your customer lifetime value will increase.

Also, when I read your response I noticed another thing. It was about your product. Your features. Your price points. How about your customer and what they want? Where's the progress they can make?

Take a step back. How would you go about making it flow smoothly for people like this particular customer? She was missing another bit of information to keep transforming her life for the better. I know you have the answer she needs, so... is the structure of your service optimal for her? Is she the customer you want to help? The big course seems like something for someone else? Or is it not?

I think part of your challenge is segmentation. You have several different customer segments. Hence your struggle with the price point and actual solutions sought after.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Great post @Fox, very much appreciated! How can I reach out to you? I sent you a PM a while...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom