The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best approach to tell your boss you disagree with their approach

zander1983

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jan 24, 2021
Im working at a startup for the last 4 years as a software engineer. Currently, we're working on a new product and, in my opinion, are approaching it the wrong way. Im a big fan of LEAN/MVP style product development, and this is what we've instinctively done for the past 4 years. I have generally headed up these product developments - producing MVPs in days and getting them in front of customers, then iterating on them. However, now we seem to have abandoned that philosophy - and it has't been a conscious decision, it's just happened. Instead of having an MVP version of this new product front of customers in a matter of weeks, we've embarked on this enormous and expensive product development cycle, seemingly trying to build the perfect product from scratch. The realistic release day is in the distant future, many months away. In my opinion, this type of product development is doomed to failure. I believe it has happened because the company has grown quickly over the last 12 months, going from 15 employees to 70. Product development philosophy has been lost.

Our CTO is a very dominant man with a bit of an ego. He is a very good public speaker, but not as strong on the technical front or fast product development in startups. I have brought this up to to him a couple of times. He bristles and becomes dismissive each time. I think he sees this as a challenge to his authority and does not actually think about the problem. Its also possible he just doesn't see this as a problem (it most certainly is in my opinion).

Our CEO is also a very dominant man. He regards my opinion highly. In my opinion, he should make the decision on what approach to take. But I want to be careful not to make it seem to the CTO that Im undermining him by going to the CEO.

By the way, I have significant share options, thats my chief motivation for wanting this company to succeed.

What approach would you take?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SkyMark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 24, 2022
Ottawa Canada
Im working at a startup for the last 4 years as a software engineer. Currently, we're working on a new product and, in my opinion, are approaching it the wrong way. Im a big fan of LEAN/MVP style product development, and this is what we've instinctively done for the past 4 years. I have generally headed up these product developments - producing MVPs in days and getting them in front of customers, then iterating on them. However, now we seem to have abandoned that philosophy - and it has't been a conscious decision, it's just happened. Instead of having an MVP version of this new product front of customers in a matter of weeks, we've embarked on this enormous and expensive product development cycle, seemingly trying to build the perfect product from scratch. The realistic release day is in the distant future, many months away. In my opinion, this type of product development is doomed to failure. I believe it has happened because the company has grown quickly over the last 12 months, going from 15 employees to 70. Product development philosophy has been lost.

Our CTO is a very dominant man with a bit of an ego. He is a very good public speaker, but not as strong on the technical front or fast product development in startups. I have brought this up to to him a couple of times. He bristles and becomes dismissive each time. I think he sees this as a challenge to his authority and does not actually think about the problem. Its also possible he just doesn't see this as a problem (it most certainly is in my opinion).

Our CEO is also a very dominant man. He regards my opinion highly. In my opinion, he should make the decision on what approach to take. But I want to be careful not to make it seem to the CTO that Im undermining him by going to the CEO.

By the way, I have significant share options, thats my chief motivation for wanting this company to succeed.

What approach would you take?
I feel you can always ask a Question as per what is the principles opinion if ---------------------------------------------- was done as such , in addition if you did it like this re: your suggestion with the benefits of that process do you think this could be more profitable. Always reflect the feedback as you get more with honey than vinegar.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Managing upwards, especially when someone has an ego makes it very difficult to convince them through expressing your opinion.

Try a more inquisitive approach. Use guiding questions to help the CTO, in his own words, come to a conclusion.

Mr. CTO, in the past we've done product launches in xyz manner. In this case, we're doing it in abc manner. As such this process is new to me and I just want to make sure that I'm understanding it properly so that I can more fully contribute to the success of the project. Could you help me understand abc better?

Maybe he'll give you an answer that surprises you and makes sense. If not then now you've opened up dialogue and can keep poking & prodding until you both come to a mutual understanding.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’ve found that people pretty much always want to do it their way at some point. Until they do it’s like a bee in their bonnet distracting them from everything you say.

I politely give my suggestion then let them choose. I consider that a win-win for me - if their strategy does great then I learn, it not they’re more inclined to listen to me in future.

Let them choose. They’re the bosses after all.

I personally wouldn’t care about stock options. If I thought it was a sinking ship I’d be working on an escape plan, or I’d just walk. That’s why I don’t work for anyone else, and why I like being a freelancer - I can fire clients.

I personally wouldn’t go to the CEO behind the CTO’s back either. The CEO hired the CTO after all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I politely give my suggestion then let them choose. I consider that a win-win for me - if their strategy does great then I learn, it not they’re more inclined to listen to me in future.
This works extremely well.

No need to overcomplicate things. No sugarcoating either.

Let them know your opinion and move on.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.