I've hit not so much of a roadblock, but a speedbump, and could use some input. I started out a couple of months ago planning to dip my toes into FBA. My goal was to research and find a promising product, give it a spin as an experiment, and go from there. In my research, however, I came across a niche that I think has a lot of promise - the competition is thin (there are only two brands, though one is so successful Amazon buys directly from them), and I think there is room for me if I can deliver on quality and marketing.
Now I've got something I'm excited about, that I think I can build a brand around (for both FBA and non-Amazon channels), and I know there are manufacturers out there who can and do make the products, but so far I haven't had a lot of luck hitting up suppliers on Aliexpress and Alibaba. Usually I find one that is selling one of the products that I am planning to bundle, and I send them an inquiry mentioning that product and specifying the other products I am looking for, what my target audience is, etc. I provide Amazon links to similar products and brands to provide an example of what I am looking for.
Most suppliers have replied either with a brief, generic description of what sort of wares they offer, or send me brief replies of pics of what they feel would fit said market (usually nothing related to what I specified in the initial inquiry), or don't reply at all. Is sourcing a game of casting a wide net and hoping to get a few good fish, or do I need to be taking a different approach instead of messaging suppliers who look like they might be a good fit?
I noticed on their Facebook group that www.fbaimporters.com (Anthony Monfet's company) is now offering sourcing services, with their cut being 5% of the total order, minimum order of $5000. However, if you sign up for one of their coaching packages, they wave the 5% fee and the minimum $ amount, as they know coaching clients are going to have different budgets.
What I'm looking at is something I will want custom branding and packaging for, PPC campaigns, the whole nine yards, so coaching and consultation probably wouldn't be the worst idea, but at the same time, I'm on a limited budget, and don't want to spend money that needs to go to actual inventory on coaching/consulting.
I have a feeling I'm not the only one who has found themselves a little stuck at this point - any pointers on jumping this hurdle and getting to the sample testing phase?
Now I've got something I'm excited about, that I think I can build a brand around (for both FBA and non-Amazon channels), and I know there are manufacturers out there who can and do make the products, but so far I haven't had a lot of luck hitting up suppliers on Aliexpress and Alibaba. Usually I find one that is selling one of the products that I am planning to bundle, and I send them an inquiry mentioning that product and specifying the other products I am looking for, what my target audience is, etc. I provide Amazon links to similar products and brands to provide an example of what I am looking for.
Most suppliers have replied either with a brief, generic description of what sort of wares they offer, or send me brief replies of pics of what they feel would fit said market (usually nothing related to what I specified in the initial inquiry), or don't reply at all. Is sourcing a game of casting a wide net and hoping to get a few good fish, or do I need to be taking a different approach instead of messaging suppliers who look like they might be a good fit?
I noticed on their Facebook group that www.fbaimporters.com (Anthony Monfet's company) is now offering sourcing services, with their cut being 5% of the total order, minimum order of $5000. However, if you sign up for one of their coaching packages, they wave the 5% fee and the minimum $ amount, as they know coaching clients are going to have different budgets.
What I'm looking at is something I will want custom branding and packaging for, PPC campaigns, the whole nine yards, so coaching and consultation probably wouldn't be the worst idea, but at the same time, I'm on a limited budget, and don't want to spend money that needs to go to actual inventory on coaching/consulting.
I have a feeling I'm not the only one who has found themselves a little stuck at this point - any pointers on jumping this hurdle and getting to the sample testing phase?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
