The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Beer & Pancakes 2008 Info

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
re: Beer & Pancakes 2008 Info

Jim-

Got the call and the email from Bobbo.

I'll email you if I have any other questions (hard for me to get emails now, since I'm on the road).

-Russ

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH

Thanks for the help. Sorry it seemed to get more complicated than necessary, with all the back and forth.

See you there.

LaurenO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 28, 2007
Phoenix

"Come on guys and gals! Pony up!" (No clue how to quote things on this forum...can you tell I'm mostly a lurker?)

Would love to, but the registration fee is a "no can do" in our humble beginnings. Hopefully we can catch dinners or just say hello afterwards. Talk to JesseO :)

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Hey Russ, the wife and I won't be attending the meetup/presentation, but we will be around afterward for all the fun side activities you guys have planned :cheers: Can't wait to meet you all. See ya then =)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

Jesse & Lauren-

Only you can decide if $198 is best spent attending the meet-up, or not.

By not paying anything and still attending the evening events, you are, in effect, not supporting the get together. This is done in other industries/ventures, and is frowned upon by many (it's called "scabbing the show").

Judging by the gracious attitude of the other attendees and the organizers of this event, I really don't think this will be the case. You will be welcomed, with open arms, as all posters to these forums are.

But you need to ask yourselves this question:

If everyone coming to the meet-up didn't pay the nominal fee, what would happen?

Perhaps the answer to this question is that you feel the day sessions are not worth your time and money.

If this is the case, we should all discuss this at the get together, and consider making some radical changes to next year's event. Perhaps make it free for all, with no set agenda or meeting room. Just have meetings at restaurants and other public places (this is again done in other areas, like REI group meetings, and is a widely accepted practice).

If you truly want to attend, and cannot afford it, perhaps the other attendees would be willing to pony up the additional funds for you in a scholarship.

To others reading this: If JScott was willing to donate his cancelled reservation into this scholarship fund, that leaves only $99 to be split by 20 people.

That's only an additional $5 per paying attendee.

It is also probable that we will have a surplus for this event, since the break-even was set at 15 attendees. So we could also, as a group, vote to award this extra as a scholarship.

I have to be honest, though-- if you really want to attend the day sessions, I'd rather see you pony up half, and we'll use JScott's reg for the other half. At least that way, you have out of pocket contribution. And while $98 may seem like a lot of money to you, chances are you will appreciate (and work at) the sessions much harder if you have a financial commitment to them.

Let me know. I hope you can make it. :)

-Russ H.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States

Russ,

Many of you may not know it, but I financed the young man who joined me and Brenton last year. Meals, airfare, hotel, etc.

He felt he learned enough to pay me back every dime.

So, here would be my proposal to the O's...

We provide them with the $198 fee, including JScott's donation.

They are under no obligation to repay the scholarship.

But, if they feel they got their money's worth, they fund a 2-person scholarship for 2009.

If we don't meet in 2009, they made out well.

If they don't like the program, they aren't out anything.

But if they like it, they pay it forward.

And they have about 12 months to come up with the way to do it.

Thoughts?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Hey guys I'm not sure this is a money thing. I was going to carpool with Jess from south Texas when we first started planning this. It may be a time issue since he's driving all the way. Just a thought.

However, I'm up for helping out if it is a money issue.

7 more days!:icon_super:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

LaurenO said:
Would love to attend, but the registration fee is a "no can do" in our humble beginnings.

Runum, if they want to sleep all day and party with us all night, I'm hoping they would have said this.

I'm just going by the information I've been given, and, trying to make this a win-win for everyone (as always). :)

Chances are good we'll have a surplus this year, and part of the fun of this meet up was to decide what we're gonna do with the extra cash:

-Split it up evenly (or as George W would say "Rebates!" ;) ,
-Donate it to a worthy cause, or--
-Create a legacy fund or scholarship for future meet ups?

This was going to be an agenda item if we have a surplus. I for one was really looking forward to seeing what the group would decide.

BTW, I love Bob's idea of "pay it forward" Absolutely love it.

So how about it Jesse and Lauren-- are you not coming b/c you can't afford the $198?

Or are you just young'uns out to party at night and skip class during the day? :smxB:

-Russ H.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007

Hey guys I'm not sure this is a money thing. I was going to carpool with Jess from south Texas when we first started planning this. It may be a time issue since he's driving all the way. Just a thought.

However, I'm up for helping out if it is a money issue.

7 more days!:icon_super:

Oh...I took it from Lauren's post that it was a money issue.
But then, I thought they lived in AZ, since they were going to come after the meetings.

I assume they are in town for something else too.
If not, that's a long trip for dinner and drinks.

Anyway it goes, I'm fine with helping them out.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007

Hey Russ,

I know you had a Cashflow game, and SteveO had a couple too.

I can bring mine and/or see if I can get a couple from over at Rich Dad.

I'm in town a couple of days before the gathering, so I can grab them if they are OK with it.

Let me know.

Oh...and I know you're working on the presentation schedule.

I'm working on a kick-a$$ spreadsheet that I hope to have done by then.

If so, I'll switch to that for my presentation and then hand out copies to everyone.

If not, I'll stick with financial ratios.

Actually, it would be ratios either way, but I'd love to have the SS ready.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

Bobbo,

Once again, you read my mind (stop that! ;) )

If you can get a few CF101 games from RD HQ, that'd be peachy. But given what happened last year, I'd rather not rely on this, if you know what I mean! :smx4:

Beer & Pancakes Attendees: WE NEED CASHFLOW 101 BOARD GAMES.

Counting one each from Bob, SteveO, and me, we have three total so far.

Anyone out there who can bring theirs?

-Russ H.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007

I'll send the request out, and see what happens.

Darth Sief is usually in on Saturdays, but I'm not sure if he's the one to make the call.

I'll keep you posted.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Thanks Russ. I obviously didn't know all the facts. It's all cool.:thumbsup: Wow it's been almost an our since my last post on tis thread. That means we're 1 hour closer to Phoenix.:rofl:

I'll bring my cashflow 101 game. I would also be interested in learning 202 if anyone else wants to. I have the game but just never took the time to learn it.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga

I dont know where everyone is located but I can loan mine. I am in georgia. Id be happy to send it to someone as long as they promise to send it back.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

CarrieW-

That's incredibly cool of you to offer.

We're only going to need 4-5 games, so I think we're gonna be OK.

But again, thank you. I know how much you've wanted to come to these things. Offering to send your Cashflow game says a lot about who you are. :)

-Russ H.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

Some info:

The hotel has a taxi service connection that gets you to/from the airport for $30.
OR you can order a shuttle from the http://supershuttle.com/ to pick you up - that will be $15.

A few q's:

-What kind of clothes are we packing? (temperature and dress code wise)
-Bringing one notebook to write in, anything else needed?

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Ok, just to clarify...

Lauren and I are skipping the meetings and will just be hanging out with the group after hours. I'm not sure if one would normally pay to hang out with friends from online? We are on our track right now and I'm sure we can hear any juicy information from friends and family regarding the presentations. I don't want to sound like a party-pooper but we know where we're going and how we're doing it, and the $198 was a little bit of a turn off. We do, however, realize that you are putting up money for a conference room, time and effort in planning, etc. and that's why we're not going to just show up and listen in :smx4: (Thanks for the vote of confidence, Russ :p) Also, Lauren and I moved to Phoenix (Tempe actually) about a month ago, so we're not going to have to drive all the way from south Texas *whew* We are still happy to give rides and such after the presentations part of the meet up, when it spills into "hang out" time. My work schedule would conflict with certain times in any case, and I've already requested one weekend off for personal reasons. So, now that I'm done explaining our decision, I hope we can all still hang out and not worry about all the if's and why's and just enjoy the times :smxB: Maybe we'll hear some interesting concepts at the bar/restaurant/club/locale when you guys have a couple drinks in ya :banana: See you all then!

Respectfully,
JesseO and LaurenO

P.S. We have a Cashflow 101 game we can send along with SteveO.........................................

Last edited:

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

P.S.S. We can hold up to 8 occupants between our two vehicles if any of you guys need rides around town =)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

JesseO-

If you could have SteveO bring your cashflow 101 game on Friday afternoon, that would be great.

That would mean we'd have:

Cashflow 101 games:

1-BflBob
1-Runum
1-SteveO
1-JesseO and LaurenO's game
1-Russ & Sharon

Which puts us at 5. One or two more, and we're golden (we can actually get by w/5 just fine).

JesseO-

Thanks for the clarification. Your last posts that I saw on these boards indicated you were going to be driving from south TX, and given the price of gas (we just paid $3.43!), this was surprising to drive all that way just to meet a few folks at dinner.

From your most recent post, it sounds like you do not want to be at the get together, which is fine. Hundreds of people are members of these forums (and hundreds more are lurkers). Most of them are not coming, either! No biggie. :)

As I said earlier, you are welcome to join us in the evening. And the daytime, too, for that matter, given BFLBob's suggestion for paying it forward. :)

-Russ H.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

JesseO-

If you could have SteveO bring your cashflow 101 game on Friday afternoon, that would be great.

That would mean we'd have:

Cashflow 101 games:

1-BflBob
1-Runum
1-SteveO
1-JesseO and LaurenO's game
1-Russ & Sharon

Which puts us at 5. One or two more, and we're golden (we can actually get by w/5 just fine).

JesseO-

Thanks for the clarification. Your last posts that I saw on these boards indicated you were going to be driving from south TX, and given the price of gas (we just paid $3.43!), this was surprising to drive all that way just to meet a few folks at dinner.

From your most recent post, it sounds like you do not want to be at the get together, which is fine. Hundreds of people are members of these forums (and hundreds more are lurkers). Most of them are not coming, either! No biggie. :)

As I said earlier, you are welcome to join us in the evening.

-Russ H.

Russ, when this all started, we said we'd LOVE to be there! Woot! :hurray: Paying $200 really cuts into our monthly savings though, especially since we just spent almost $2,000 just to move here (Diesel was about $3.69/gallon for 1200 miles). In any case, we will be happy to supply our Cashflow game and enjoy everyone's company after the "get together" hours. We certainly don't want to mooch off of everyone who is paying their fair share. Thank you for your understanding. :icon_super:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

No worries. :banana:

Thanks again, for both the clarification and the board game.

Much appreciated. :)

-Russ H.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Any time bro =) Also, as I cannot send you a PM (they are turned off for you) maybe you could turn them on so that such things might be discussed on more appropriate channels?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga

No prob Russ.

yes I really want to go to one! lol. I am hoping to be able to go next year. this is one thing I will pull money out of my forex account for lol.

next year lenny jr will be 6 and wendy will be almost 9 so I think I can squeeze out for a few days. dh is all for it. he would have sent me last year or this year but I am a parinoid mama and wasnt comfortable leaving the little ones yet.

so I have just over a year to prepare myself mentally to leave the kids and dh behind and get my butt to phoneix!:fastlane:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

We've got cashflow 101 that we can bring.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)

My flight arrives Friday afternoon at 1. I'm renting a car, if anyone needs a ride to the hotel.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

Jesse-

I sent you my personal email address, when I PM'd you.

It's at the bottom, by my signature.

I'll be happy to resend if it got truncated.

BFLBob, SteveO, and MJ have my cell # if you need to get hold of me.

We are out most of today, so my email responses will be limited to when I have access.

Talk to you soon. :)

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

ATW-

Perfect, please bring your Cashflow game.

Thanks!

-Russ H.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

Jill I should arrive at 1:35pm. Do you mind waiting for me or should I get a shuttle? thank you!!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

I'll be arriving at the airport at 3:30 if anyone else wants to share a shuttle or ride.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.