The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Because I Can

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
ive found that making money isnt difficult if you put your time in and work hard, but every year that goes by i have started thinking more and more about people like you that have time and i get this feeling of intense anxiety... life is passing by everyday, hopefully im lucky to catch on to it young but money isnt what scares me time is.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Time is ALWAYS limited, it will never change. Life will always come to an end. Money isn't limited.

Things in this world are valuable because they are scarce... Diamonds, Gold, etc. Time is a limited resource, make the most of it.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
ah my new quote

Ill have to find a good place for that one

Z

Over on the L4P forum, someone had that quoted in their sig. They asked a member, BC, why he was buying two 2012 veyron's and a Koenigsegg, and that was his response, "because I can."

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
There's a guy over on a luxury forum who was asked why he owns two Bugatti Veyrons. His answer? Because I can.

Powerful statement

Wow, I literally stopped reading right before your post to make that post. Guess I should have read one more. His 1 veyron is 1 of 1 in the world, and he sold his 08. I believe he has another 2013 on its way. Nice guy, met him at a couple car events. He does a lot to help.

mohawkdcg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 31, 2012
OC Cal
Vigilante, your response was spot on. I also don't have patience for these time wasters anymore.

An old friend usually asks me how she can get rich, get out of debt, etc. When I make suggestions she argues about why she can not do it and why I am wrong, etc. For years she has been asking me this and reacting the same.

I think she is looking for the magic answer that does not require her to do anything. So I have learned to limit my answers or just make a joke because people like this do not really want to know anything.

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
Great read in here!

You are in that office BECAUSE YOU CAN! That's your call, your authority. No one can question that.

The world's reality means opportunities to people who can make things happen and decide to always make things happen.

They set their own time and do productive things their own way. By the end of it all, people will still ask you...

**to do things for them
**to share your success formula (which they love to hear and never follow)- waste of your time

It's up to you if you'll let them... BECAUSE YOU CAN!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Vigilante, your response was spot on. I also don't have patience for these time wasters anymore.

An old friend usually asks me how she can get rich, get out of debt, etc. When I make suggestions she argues about why she can not do it and why I am wrong, etc. For years she has been asking me this and reacting the same.

I think she is looking for the magic answer that does not require her to do anything. So I have learned to limit my answers or just make a joke because people like this do not really want to know anything.

True stuff here!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You guys badmouthing Vigilante don't understand why his approach was better.

It's called a pattern interrupt.

It's a powerful tool that rattles the status quo and snaps people out of their ingrained zombified responses. For brief moments they don't know how to respond and forces them, even for a second, to think about how to respond.

Picture this. She comes to his office, asks for his time and he says "Oh, thanks so much for stopping by, I actually have to get out of here so I'm afraid I can't spend any time with you today, from the sounds of it you likely have it under control anyway - let's talk later".

What was accomplished here? Nothing. She says "okay, thanks so much anyway" and goes about her day. They engaged in normal, everyday chit chat and followed the socially agreed-upon method of declining an offer. The conversation flowed like every conversation throughout every other day to every other person. No braincells were harmed in the making of those sentences.

Now think about his actual response: "Because I can". This isn't a normal response. It wasn't expected. It evokes actually thought. It probably ruined her day as she compared her life. He can go, I can't. He can play with his kid while I hire strangers to watch mine. He can have a drink at work in open view without getting in trouble while I look over my shoulder in crippling fear if i want to watch a video of cats dancing on youtube. Because he can? What the F*ck am I doing with my life?

That's why his response was valuable. It forced thought. When was the last time you ACTUALLY stopped to think during you daily routine? When has your day to day habits been aggressively questioned? Do you live "because I have to" or "because I can"?

Kwik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Oct 28, 2012
There is a difference between a psychiatric that uses a 'pattern interrupt' and being arrogant. I am not saying it's a bad thing, but I do think it's a very arrogant remark.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think it is arrogant for her to ask why you are going home if you didn't have to be there in the first place.

About the whiskey I would have said something along the lines because I pay for this building or because I make the rules.

Last edited:

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
Nice thread- inspirational for fastlaners, in the process fastlaners and wannabe fastlaners

There is a difference between a psychiatric that uses a 'pattern interrupt' and being arrogant. I am not saying it's a bad thing, but I do think it's a very arrogant remark.

Without knowing the tone/context etc it definately could of been in an arrogant way. It certainly reads like that on first glance.
Though those words could of been expressed in a warm way with a gentle authentic smile. Or not.

It's the same with her questioning him. It could of been done innocently and authentically, but another likely story is she was indirectly trying to get him to qualify himself, and on some level feel guilt for the choice he has. And maybe he responded in a way that could be called arrogant,but was in balance with the context

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Those of you dissecting my degree of narcissism completely missed the point.

Fortunately, she didn't. She brought me a halloween cupcake this morning.

Your comments, on the other hand, provide more insight into your own world view than any reflection on me.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
You all that are calling Vigilante out are spot on! Who does he think he is? Doesn't he have a moral obligation to help this girl out? To do his fair share? After all he clearly has more free time available than she does and he has the skills and ability to actually help her. She's the less fortunate one here. To add insult to injury he proudly rubs her nose in it! She does NOT need a "pattern interrupt"! She clearly needs the government to step in and enforce "time redistribution".

You guys are ridiculous! As I read that story I was thinking how inconsiderate she was for trying to impose on him. BTW, in case you haven't caught on yet, the previous paragraph was sarcasm. As has been said already, some would have responded differently but I can assure you I would have responded in a similar way as Vig. I may not be money rich but I am time rich. I have become more and more guarded of my time and who I let share in it.

I for one am grateful for the sharing of time and expertise Vig has share with us here in this forum. You know why he does that? Because he can!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
People often criticize Bill and Melinda Gates for not giving more to charity.

Those same people ... have no idea how much Bill and Melinda Gates actually have given to charity.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
People often criticize Bill and Melinda Gates for not giving more to charity.

For reference, a quick google search suggests that they've given away $28 Billion to date ans saved roughly 5.8 Million lives through vaccinations and healthcare.

These are staggering numbers.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I don't do internet drama though so I don't plan to respond further to the critics. I just thought you guys might find the thought process and original exchange interesting. She did.

<Requested this thread be closed.>

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
For reference, a quick google search suggests that they've given away $28 Billion to date ans saved roughly 5.8 Million lives through vaccinations and healthcare.

These are staggering numbers.

They are not obligated to give a dime to charity. Fricking people.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Sometimes the truth comes off as rude, especially when said truth was unwanted.

She didn't 'deserve' to hear that response but she definitely needed it. Speed++ Vigilante... not that you need any more.

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
The only one who was rude in this case is the worker who asked you for help. And then she goes on to ask you personal questions even after you nicely told her get the hell out of here. The sad part is that she will NEVER understand nothing out of this situation and be stuck in her dumb mindset forever.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Oh so Vigilante is rude for giving someone a valuable lessons for free, and that woman is not rude for asking for FREE favors.

I used to do a lot of FREE favors. I'd be so happy if that was "just" loss of time. But it also guarantees you loss of EVEN MORE time, loss of patience, loss of those who you did favor to as friends, and even possibly them thinking/talking bad about you.

No more free work from me. And the only worse kind than free work is CHEAP work. Because that pocket change they give you somehow gives them infinite entitlement to lifetime support and guarantee on whatever you sold them.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I used to do a lot of FREE favors. I'd be so happy if that was "just" loss of time. But it also guarantees you loss of EVEN MORE time, loss of patience, loss of those who you did favor to as friends, and even possibly them thinking/talking bad about you.

Reminds me of a previous post of mine, HERE .

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Vig,

I'm new to this thread and I know you requested it to be closed ... I have to decline, because this is, once again, one of those GOLD threads. Closing it (or stickifying it) would bury it. Give it a few weeks and it will be in the top ten for views/posts.

There are multiple lessons here ... and great ones at that. And again, some of the lessons are not in reference to the original post, but in the responses that follow.

As for the original post, without body language and vocal tone, one cannot conclude anything.

That said, if I was asked and solicited about "how I did it" - my answers would have been the same.

If anyone asks for my opinion, expect the uncensored truth. If you expect, "rah rah" or "you can do it!" you've asked the wrong person. This lady probably expected a default answer "oh, you know, work hard and dream".

We are similar creatures and I certainly wouldn't worry about the few people here who have decided to interpret your responses within their own framework of esteem.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I don't worry about it, MJ.

I just blow it off.

"Because I can..."

:)

Thanks for your comments.

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
Vigilante is the real winner here. Look at this thread, he's still making $$ while replying back to all these posts. Yet many of us are taking time out to hit the reply button on this forum.

Keep doing what you're doing sir, definitely an inspiration.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.