The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

bad advice, IRS penalty

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
My brother got a very bad advice when filing his taxes for 06 and when he told me about it I mentioned that it didn't make sense to me. I told him to go talk to an expert and get his opinion.

Well, the new advisor told him that the original filing was wrong and that he owes both federal and state taxes (not that much, something like $500 to the federal and $150 for state) so this guy told him to send the 1040x with the corrected filing and the mentioned amounts owed, and that IRS will bill him later for the penalties, so that was paid separately.

This 'pay what you owe now, the penalty when they bill you' sounded kind of weird. Is that how IRS does this? What about the State's treasury or tax department? (NY in this case)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
andviv-

Diane is obviously the one with the most experience here, but yeah, that's what we do all the time: If we find a mistake, we file an amended return, send them the $$, and wait for a penalties/late fee bill.

As JScott mentions, it's almost impossible to accurately determine the late fees/penalties--AND-- the earlier you pay, the less all of this is!

-Russ H.

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
I've even done tax amendments that the penalties were so small that
the IRS/state just didn't bother to try and collect since the people
corrected the error and paid the additional money.

The IRS can be "not so bad" to work with most of the time

Joe

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Thanks. I will call him right now and tell him to send it today. I told him last night to hold on the payment before somebody here could provide me with some info.

Thanks to all of you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.