The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Sell-Me Saturday is Now Live!

Have something to sell? Want to promote your design service or a YouTube channel? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote anything within the sphere of entrepreneurship on one thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

bad advice, IRS penalty

andviv

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
My brother got a very bad advice when filing his taxes for 06 and when he told me about it I mentioned that it didn't make sense to me. I told him to go talk to an expert and get his opinion.

Well, the new advisor told him that the original filing was wrong and that he owes both federal and state taxes (not that much, something like $500 to the federal and $150 for state) so this guy told him to send the 1040x with the corrected filing and the mentioned amounts owed, and that IRS will bill him later for the penalties, so that was paid separately.

This 'pay what you owe now, the penalty when they bill you' sounded kind of weird. Is that how IRS does this? What about the State's treasury or tax department? (NY in this case)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
While your brother could certainly pay the penalty at the same time he pays the additional amount owed, it would likely be difficult for him to calculate the amount of the penalty, and therefore pay the correct amount.

It's pretty standard to just wait for the IRS to assess the penalty amount, bill you, and then pay that amount later when you get the bill.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
andviv-

Diane is obviously the one with the most experience here, but yeah, that's what we do all the time: If we find a mistake, we file an amended return, send them the $$, and wait for a penalties/late fee bill.

As JScott mentions, it's almost impossible to accurately determine the late fees/penalties--AND-- the earlier you pay, the less all of this is!

-Russ H.

royemunson

Contributor
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
I've even done tax amendments that the penalties were so small that
the IRS/state just didn't bother to try and collect since the people
corrected the error and paid the additional money.

The IRS can be "not so bad" to work with most of the time

Joe

OP
OP
andviv

andviv

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Thanks. I will call him right now and tell him to send it today. I told him last night to hold on the payment before somebody here could provide me with some info.

Thanks to all of you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom