The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT TOPIC (Audio) Who have you helped?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Dad, husband, entrepreneur.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Since @Andy Black wrote me a PM after I followed him (thx to his valuable posts on this forum), I have been pondering on "Who have I helped recently / Who can I help?"

This question has been in my head ever since he wrote me "Can you start sooner and simpler?" This was his answer to my elaborated plan of finding out real needs in the market with identifying some niche that interests me and following up with perfectly worked out cold calls.

It was one of those questions that just don't let go. I had to take action.

I went on to listen to his awesome recordings with TFLF members (still binge listening) Andy Black to understand better ...

This one was especially interesting because of the speed of execution - Who have you helped?

I wrote down everything I helped people with in the past year - tasks, goals, inspirations.

First hiccup in the analysis came up - I love executing, instead of just going to Quora and answering people's question. I just love making things happen, instead of long talks [I guess it's my hate for long and useless meetings I had to go through in my corporate career].

Not saying I don't stop in the beginning to come up with a proper strategy and plan, but I love making ideas happen! Insights, research, gathering as much info as possible in the shortest possible time frame and making it happen - throw it out there for the market mind to evaluate & reward you with value exchange. It's about learning on the go - very influenced by Lean Startup - build - measure - learn. Just to clarify, "build" doesn't mean building in the dark room for x days and then [fanfare] launching only to experience tumbleweeds [sad trombone sound]. It's about building MVP/S getting it in front of the market mind, get feedback, adjust and cycle goes on ...

So I decided to help people in my network who are small entrepreneurs, doing honest business, focusing on what they do best - helping their customers. Opened Linkedin and found at least 5 of them. All of them have a lot of room to improve in terms of getting quality leads and more sales so they can help even more people.

Instead of complicating things, like "what if they misuse my good will, what if they are the worst type of clients, what if there is nothing out of it", I'd rather say - "what do I have to lose?" I will do my best work, learn tons of new stuff in real market conditions and as a bonus I can get future referrals ... so get the f*ck out there and help somebody! You have tons of skills and knowledge to share!
That’s for taking the time to write this up. Rep+

Here’s one to think about:

Instead of “what have I got to lose?” ... how about “what’s the best that can happen?”.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
While on this forum I typically feel overwhelmed or humbled by the knowledgeable advice OR I’m utterly annoyed by the massive flow of new people who ask stupid questions and pray to God I won’t be like them.

But this? This post made me happy. Since reading MJ’s books (I’m at 87% on Unscripted!!) I’ve thought over and over on how to help more people doing new stuff or how to inspire my children to be problem-solvers. But I never actually sat back and thought, “I belong here, I’m an entrepreneur.”

Because it’s kinda terrifying thinking that, for me, even though I own a business.

But. I help people every single day. My clients love me, they refuse to go to other people, they get on a waiting list to see me.. huh.

Anyhoo.. I had a bit of a eureka just now.. and I wanted to say thank you. It IS about helping people and doing that is a wonderful thing.

Hugs. (If you’re ok with hugs. Lol)
Thanks. I love hugs.

People overcomplicate what business actually is.

It’s quite simple: “Add value. Get paid.”

maikooo

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 7, 2018
While on this forum I typically feel overwhelmed or humbled by the knowledgeable advice OR I’m utterly annoyed by the massive flow of new people who ask stupid questions and pray to God I won’t be like them.

But this? This post made me happy. Since reading MJ’s books (I’m at 87% on Unscripted!!) I’ve thought over and over on how to help more people doing new stuff or how to inspire my children to be problem-solvers. But I never actually sat back and thought, “I belong here, I’m an entrepreneur.”

Because it’s kinda terrifying thinking that, for me, even though I own a business.

But. I help people every single day. My clients love me, they refuse to go to other people, they get on a waiting list to see me.. huh.

Anyhoo.. I had a bit of a eureka just now.. and I wanted to say thank you. It IS about helping people and doing that is a wonderful thing.

Hugs. (If you’re ok with hugs. Lol)
Congrats on your accomplishments!!

Zcott

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2018
What were your takeaways?
'Just go out and help someone' was great, following it up with '...you see kids going around mowing people's lawns. They didn't need a logo or a big fancy website.'

Short, blunt and really helps you reflect on yourself and any potential action faking.

Last edited:

WealthyMarketer

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 28, 2018
Thanks for pointing me towards this audio Andy! I just spent the past few hours answering questions on Quora (and hopefully helping people too!) and I will continue to do so.

Lavern Muller

New Contributor
Mar 5, 2019
Florida, USA
Giving Value for free, who have you helped? was foreign.

Not that it hasn't been said here many times but it's more the fact that entrepreneurship and starting a business is foreign to me as a whole. So i guess I have just been conditioned to think money first.

Even when you said the other day to cook someone a nice tasty lunch, i new what you where saying but at the same time thinking is this even gonna work? who does work for no money?

I guess it's just a mindset change i am going through, never had to think in this way before if that makes sense.
Really appreciating! I mean who cares, everyone wants to earn money and nobody is interested in helping someone without any benefit.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
if you've gotten nowhere, helping people should be your first priority.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

sonny_1080

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 30, 2019
Thank you @Andy Black for keeping me grounded with what you contribute to the forum.

I found this thread after I got 11 responses from a survey I made. I unintentionally spammed a ton of people to gain market research. Ouch. Frustrated, I turned to the forum... again lol.

Heres what I got from this recording:

The only thing I need to focus on is helping people. If the actions I'm taking aren't helping people (or trying to find someone to help), then Im F*cking up.

So I went to Quora like @arobinson04 was talking about and started to find questions people were asking that were related to the business I'm planning on going into. Then I realized I couldn't answer them. This led me to Andy's "radio interview 2", then "radio interview 1"

Now that I've found my natural skillset, I can take my list of ideas and see which ones fulfill an existing need that I'm most qualified to help with. Then I can go on Quora and start answering questions. Whatever I need to learn (digital marketing, app development, etc.) I can learn according to the critical path of what is in front of me and who my direct customer is.

I loved how @arobinson04 focused on one specific question. I'm very familiar with tackling too much at once and being so overwhelmingly splayed that I end up making a ton of progress going nowhere.

Thank you gentlemen

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
I recently bought an ebook from Kobo. It was one of the few places where I could find that...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I have zero coding skills whatsoever. Are coding skills needed? Will the be learned in the...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock