The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Attitudes on Products and capitalism

Anything related to matters of the mind

roguehillbilly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 3, 2017
USA
Something I've been thinking about lately...

I think my attitudes have changed a lot towards products and how companies operate.

For example, a friend and I have been looking at the OneWheel -- which is basically an electric skateboard (but with a single, big tire).

They are pricey! 1k for the cheap one and 1800 for the higher end model.

The company sells accessories that are also somewhat pricey, 45 bucks for a handle, 100 bucks for a faster charger, etc.

My friend looks at this product and immediately thinks he's being scammed. "why do all these add-ons cost money?! they design it in California but the parts are all chinese, they just assemble them here"

It's the same way for cheaper electric skateboards..."they are just making money on the x, y, or z because their support sucks!"

I guess many people are jaded against companies and always thinking they are going to get scammed.

I look at the same product and appreciate the design, durability and reputation. The many people it employs and the happy customers it creates.

He looks at it and has disdain for a company for no reason other than that they are making a profit.

What a strange way to look at the world.

What do you folks think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Mostly before I read MJs books (but even sometimes now) this would happen:

I would see a product on Amazon that was obviously imported from Alibaba and marked up 200%. "What a scam!" I thought, as I closed the Alibaba tab and added it to my Amazon cart.

Why did I buy it from Amazon? Because the extra cost was worth not having to wait for it to ship from China, or deal with an unknown seller with unknown return policies etc, and because a couple other things I wanted were also on Amazon and I'd get them together. If I valued price above all, I would have bought it from Alibaba, but that's not the case.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
A close friend of mine always says, "Price is only an issue in the absence of value."

I've never thought there was anything inherently wrong with free market capitalism. As a producer, I serve the higher end of a small market, and my products are priced above my competition. However, I'm committed my promise of providing a unique experience and durable parts with unmatched customer service. I think that's fair, because it's what I look for as a consumer. I have no problem trading money for a good or service if I feel valued and important as a customer. When I need to buy something: I understand what I can afford and what the competition is offering. A producer should be sensitive to this and adjust their offer to a level that is accessible for their customers and sustainable for their business. A transaction shouldn't feel like a win-lose scenario IMO.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.