The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask me anything about eCommerce (Ongoing)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase
I'm trying to build a product business starting with e-commerce then push into B&M stores. Do you have any recommendations any genuine sources of information for building a product businesses?

I'm currently learning from Ryan Moran.

It's a bit confusing, as he teaches you to focus on an audience instead of product, but I have observed plenty of successful product businesses start by innovating on the product side and attracting an audience as a result. ie. MoneyDoc BruMate, Native
I think it depends on the product you build. If you are building a simple knickknack, building an audience probably won’t work. But if you’re doing some thing like supplements, or anything that is very brand oriented you should build an audience first or at least at the same time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I think it depends on the product you build. If you are building a simple knickknack, building an audience probably won’t work. But if you’re doing some thing like supplements, or anything that is very brand oriented you should build an audience first or at least at the same time.
I’m a bit stuck on this @biophase .

Apart from pictures of the stages you’re at with developing the product/ decisions taken, maybe polls, what on earth does one share?( for building an audience)

Then, when the product is manufactured and launched, all I see brands doing is photos of different angles of the product and backgrounds and some UGC( user generated content)

Is that all there is?

Dustinaitis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 8, 2018

Apart from pictures of the stages you’re at with developing the product/ decisions taken, maybe polls, what on earth does one share?( for building an audience)

Then, when the product is manufactured and launched, all I see brands doing is photos of different angles of the product and backgrounds and some UGC( user generated content)

Is that all there is?

Apart from pictures of the product you could post famous quotes regarding your niche, memes, happy customer reviews etc. to build an audience. Just be creative ...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Is that all there is?

You build your audience on the solution that your product solves. Not the actual product.

Michael PS

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Sep 11, 2019
Germany
@biophase my stuck points in short: Built a high end fashion product (high price) and built an email list of 100 people. Having a landing page and a product page. My problems are:
1) have high conversion rate for leads (cost per lead ca. $25)
2) Just make a sell (even through my list I don't get to trigger the sell)

Do you have recommendations how to increase both points for an expensive product? Appreciate your time for that

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase my stuck points in short: Built a high end fashion product (high price) and built an email list of 100 people. Having a landing page and a product page. My problems are:
1) have high conversion rate for leads (cost per lead ca. $25)
2) Just make a sell (even through my list I don't get to trigger the sell)

Do you have recommendations how to increase both points for an expensive product? Appreciate your time for that

Just curious, what is a high price for you?

Ok ask yourself, why does your product deserve to be a high price?

I can make a hand bag also. Why should yours sell for $5000 and mine sell for $50 only?

Michael PS

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Sep 11, 2019
Germany
Just curious, what is a high price for you?

Ok ask yourself, why does your product deserve to be a high price?

I can make a hand bag also. Why should yours sell for $5000 and mine sell for $50 only?
High price: $350, so compared to other products in this sector its above their price

High quality (Made in Italy), extraordinary customer service, no shipping costs, returns are free

These are the USP's. Want to establish a high quality brand and compete in high price. So I think somewhere MJ mentioned that price is also an indicator for something unique/quality/special. To compete in low prices is much more difficult and I don't want to go this way

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
High price: $350, so compared to other products in this sector its above their price

High quality (Made in Italy), extraordinary customer service, no shipping costs, returns are free

These are the USP's. Want to establish a high quality brand and compete in high price. So I think somewhere MJ mentioned that price is also an indicator for something unique/quality/special. To compete in low prices is much more difficult and I don't want to go this way
You really just can’t price an item high because you want your brand to be a high priced brand.

The extraordinary customer service, no shipping costs, returns are free, is pretty much standard. I do this for my $15 product.

So just saying high quality also doesn’t mean much either. I mean maybe it’s better quality than your competitors, but is it $100 better quality?

I think it would be hard to argue that a LV bag is $3500 better in quality than a Coach bag. Is the material $1000 better? Is the stitching $500 better?

You are missing the reason people buy a brand.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
You really just can’t price an item high because you want your brand to be a high priced brand.

The extraordinary customer service, no shipping costs, returns are free, is pretty much standard. I do this for my $15 product.

So just saying high quality also doesn’t mean much either. I mean maybe it’s better quality than your competitors, but is it $100 better quality?

I think it would be hard to argue that a LV bag is $3500 better in quality than a Coach bag. Is the material $1000 better? Is the stitching $500 better?

Agreed. This where amazon basics & amazon elements come in wiping out a lot of "higher priced" brands selling the exact same thing.

Michael PS

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Sep 11, 2019
Germany

So I guess you mean the reason people buy brands: The emotions and the identifications with a brand (status, enjoyment, lifestyle, etc....)

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
So I guess you mean the reason people buy brands: The emotions and the identifications with a brand (status, enjoyment, lifestyle, etc....)
That and more obvious things like people liking the product.

Taktik

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018
Hello @biophase ,

I am just about to launch my first e-commerce brand. I know which products I will sell, I have a producer and now I just need to design a logo/product labels and build the online shop/website - then I am ready to go. I hope you can help me with two questions I've been asking myself more and more lately.

The first question is: should I use a fulfillment service right from the start to have the packages shipped? Or should I do it myself in the beginning?

I came across a quote from John D. Rockefeller in which he says that he operates on the principle that you should never do something yourself that someone else can do for you. This is not to say that I want to delegate everything, but I wonder if it's not a good idea to focus on your own strengths right from the get go and "outsource" the rest.
What do you think about that? Is this a good idea or would you rather start doing everything yourself until you know, that things are working out and you make money with the products?

The other question is about trade mark registration: Would you suggest registering your brand from the very beginning or should you first see if your products sell? (Note: I ask because trademark registration costs more than 1000 bucks where I live.)

Thanks.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Hello @biophase ,

I am just about to launch my first e-commerce brand. I know which products I will sell, I have a producer and now I just need to design a logo/product labels and build the online shop/website - then I am ready to go. I hope you can help me with two questions I've been asking myself more and more lately.

The first question is: should I use a fulfillment service right from the start to have the packages shipped? Or should I do it myself in the beginning?

I came across a quote from John D. Rockefeller in which he says that he operates on the principle that you should never do something yourself that someone else can do for you. This is not to say that I want to delegate everything, but I wonder if it's not a good idea to focus on your own strengths right from the get go and "outsource" the rest.
What do you think about that? Is this a good idea or would you rather start doing everything yourself until you know, that things are working out and you make money with the products?

The other question is about trade mark registration: Would you suggest registering your brand from the very beginning or should you first see if your products sell? (Note: I ask because trademark registration costs more than 1000 bucks where I live.)

Thanks.
Both your questions are dependant on if your product will sell. Do you have pre orders? How big is your email list?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello @biophase ,

Thanks.

As @woken mentioned, my first reply to you would be, how do you plan to sell your product.

Worrying about fulfillment and trademarks only matter if you can sell your product. With that said, I would self fulfill for a few months and register it only after you have a steady stream of sales.

Taktik

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018
Both your questions are dependant on if your product will sell. Do you have pre orders? How big is your email list?
I am starting from scratch, that means, that I don't have an email list yet.

As @woken mentioned, my first reply to you would be, how do you plan to sell your product.

Worrying about fulfillment and trademarks only matter if you can sell your product. With that said, I would self fulfill for a few months and register it only after you have a steady stream of sales.
Great, thanks for the tip.

Concerning the question how I plan to sell my product: I was thinking of selling via my own website in the beginning and using Google Ads for advertising. I also planned to try to build a following through Facebook and Instagram after the launch and thus build another revenue stream.

To be honest, though, I have no idea if this is a good plan. I have never done anything like this before. Thus, I am grateful for any suggestions and tips.
Thanks.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
also planned to try to build a following through Facebook and Instagram after the launch and thus build another revenue stream.
You do that before to see if there’s any interest in your product, adapt to market feedback, etc.

jlguitar

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Nov 30, 2021
England
What platform do you use to create e-commerce sites? I have helped create/manage custom-built ones, as well as having my own Shopify store, ages ago.
How do you find good niches, and focus on users' pain ports?

Taktik

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018
You do that before to see if there’s any interest in your product, adapt to market feedback, etc.
Yeah, that makes sense, thanks.

Any tips on how to do that? I mean, I can't really show my products, as I don't have them yet - maybe mockups. But what else am I going to show people on social media? I'm just realizing I have no idea what to do. I got a lot to learn. I appreciate any tips and advice on how to build up an Instagram and Facebook account from scratch.

I guess, that a website with an option to pre-order is also good idea when testing. I have another question about this: in your opinion, should you start with Woocommerce or Shopify (if there is a need for the products) and why? (I already have a little experience with Woocommerce, but no idea about Shopify).

When do I know whether there is a need for the products or not - or put another way: when do I have the products produced in order to sell them? Are there any thresholds or other indications for this? Is it about pre-orders or how many people have subscribed to a social media channel ...?

Thank you.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
You build your audience on the solution that your product solves. Not the actual product.
@Taktik

as for woocommerce vs shopify, I’d go with shopify but that’s just plain preference for me because I’m very used to it.

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
It seems you have experience in the supplements niche. I am in the process of making a pre workout. Do flavored powdered supplements sell better/have a higher re order rate than capsules/pills? It will cost me more to formulate a flavor, but I am willing to do it if it will result in more sales down the road.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
@biophase Do you file any claims with Amazon returns? I have 3% return rate with FBA fulfillment over the past 400 units. Sometimes the item get damaged by Amazon delivery & sometimes they are returned to inventory. etc.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase Do you file any claims with Amazon returns? I have 3% return rate with FBA fulfillment over the past 400 units. Sometimes the item get damaged by Amazon delivery & sometimes they are returned to inventory. etc.
I usually open up a case once a month to get a lost units credit. But it's not that much, I use helium10 to figure out what is lost. The refunds pay for the helium10 subscription.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
I usually open up a case once a month to get a lost units credit. But it's not that much, I use helium10 to figure out what is lost. The refunds pay for the helium10 subscription.
Thank you. Yeah, Helium 10 is great, Love the ranking tool.

Is there another way to find where my sales are coming from? A couple days ago, I completely disappeared from page 1 for one of my popular kws, but I'm still getting sales from somewhere, no idea where. I turned off my ads a month ago, so it must be organic rankings somewhere. I am running out of inventory bc the growth of the sales volume is more than I anticipated.

Is there way to find where my sales are coming from besides helium 10?

SunshineGrit

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 19, 2021

Thanks.
@Taktik
I've read your posts and have a few ideas/suggestions for you. Have you heard of Sara Blakely? She invented Spanx, I suggest reading her story and how she got to where she is today.
What is special about your product? You mention high quality and made in Italy. Is it a special fabric? Lasts a long time? Extremely comfortable? Super stylish? My instinct would be that you need to know and you should order some products for yourself and others to try. Give them to people who will give you honest feedback (I'd be happy to do that for you) Yes, it will be money upfront invested in yourself/product but honestly I don't see how you can sell something that you don't even know if you like or what qualities it possesses. By getting others to try/ use your product you can get photos of real people with the real deal.
Do you have a target audience? age demographic?
Can you describe to me the ideal customer- gender, age, where they live, what they do for work, what kind of car they drive?
Once you know you have a product that fills a need/void/emotion you could consider connecting with an influencer to promote your product.
I genuinely hope this helps!

Matt_2190

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 19, 2017
Southern Europe
Hi @biophase, just wanna say you thank you. In this thread I found a lot of useful tips that helped me to start my activity.

I wanted to ask you a question: I noted that I receive a lot of good reviews during the year from my costumer. However strangely most of the reviews I receive during December (Christmas time) are negative.

Have you also had this experience?

The complaints are mostly about the quality of the product, not about the delivery time or anything else. However the product is the same throughout the year, so it's weird. I think that during December people are more stressed.

It is the second winter of my activity and I noted this trend.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The complaints are mostly about the quality of the product, not about the delivery time or anything else. However the product is the same throughout the year, so it's weird. I think that during December people are more stressed.

Is the quality of your products genuinely good? Or could they use work?

I don't think it's necessarily stress that is causing the negative reviews, but rather people care a lot more about the quality of gifts they give than they do the stuff they buy for themselves.

I know personally I will ignore or overlook a shitty product I buy for myself in June because I'm the only one affected and generally don't care enough to leave a review about it. But when I buy something for someone else, like at Christmas - the gift is a reflection of me and if it's not good, I'm going to be pissed because I thought I picked out something great and end up with someone I'd be embarrassed to give. It wasted my time and effort and money and now there might not even be enough time to order something else - I'd absolutely leave a negative review.

Matt_2190

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 19, 2017
Southern Europe
Is the quality of your products genuinely good? Or could they use work?

I don't think it's necessarily stress that is causing the negative reviews, but rather people care a lot more about the quality of gifts they give than they do the stuff they buy for themselves.

I know personally I will ignore or overlook a shitty product I buy for myself in June because I'm the only one affected and generally don't care enough to leave a review about it. But when I buy something for someone else, like at Christmas - the gift is a reflection of me and if it's not good, I'm going to be pissed because I thought I picked out something great and end up with someone I'd be embarrassed to give. It wasted my time and effort and money and now there might not even be enough time to order something else - I'd absolutely leave a negative review.
This is a great point to see it.

However, the quality of the product is good. Maybe the small size could make it unsuitable for a gift.

Blackman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
London, UK
Going to have to bump this thread, but it's full of gold, so I'm sure no one will mind...

I'm running an e-commerce store with about 15 products and promoting it via Google Shopping Ads. I'm slowly scaling to more and more products, but I've got a habit which I developed many years ago, and I'm not sure if it's worth sticking with it, as the store grows...

Basically, I've got a little notepad for each product, where I keep the campaign/ad group performance details of it on daily basis, recording all the important data, such as clicks, impressions, CTR, average CPC, average positions, search impressions share and the sales generated on that specific day. Then at the end of the month I also do a summary for each product following the same principle, to work out profit/loss made and any changes that need to be made.

This doesn't seem much of a chore at the moment with only a few products that I'm currently selling and I also understand that this data can be accessed at any time on Google Ads, but it's something that I've been doing for a long time and it feels that I might lose some control/focus by no longer recording all of this manually every day.

Some of you guys who run Google Shopping Ads for your e-commerce stores, it would be really helpful to hear your thoughts.

Shout out to @Phikey @Dimitron @biophase and @Andy Black

Sorry if I've missed anyone, would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this who's running GSA ads.

Thank you

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Going to have to bump this thread, but it's full of gold, so I'm sure no one will mind...

I'm running an e-commerce store with about 15 products and promoting it via Google Shopping Ads. I'm slowly scaling to more and more products, but I've got a habit which I developed many years ago, and I'm not sure if it's worth sticking with it, as the store grows...

Basically, I've got a little notepad for each product, where I keep the campaign/ad group performance details of it on daily basis, recording all the important data, such as clicks, impressions, CTR, average CPC, average positions, search impressions share and the sales generated on that specific day. Then at the end of the month I also do a summary for each product following the same principle, to work out profit/loss made and any changes that need to be made.

This doesn't seem much of a chore at the moment with only a few products that I'm currently selling and I also understand that this data can be accessed at any time on Google Ads, but it's something that I've been doing for a long time and it feels that I might lose some control/focus by no longer recording all of this manually every day.

Some of you guys who run Google Shopping Ads for your e-commerce stores, it would be really helpful to hear your thoughts.

Shout out to @Phikey @Dimitron @biophase and @Andy Black

Sorry if I've missed anyone, would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this who's running GSA ads.

Thank you
How cool!

I’ve been doing google shopping ads too. I have about 3 products and I check mine weekly in a spreadsheet. The scale is too small and I feel like the data isn’t fair doing it daily. Eg Weekends are always worse, Thursday’s are always best. Then I’ll make adjustments after doing the numbers and check how the adjustments went the next week.

Are all your products in the same niche? The same store? I’m wondering if you have a product research strategy.

Mine are all in the same niche so it’s been obvious what to add. But I’m going to run out of things to add shortly and I’m thinking of creating another store in another niche to scale that way. Once products are up and running it’s so easy to manage so the plan is to just spent all my time adding more.

My research strategy so far is very basic, I google the search term and check out the competition. I figure if my products better, aov higher, conversion rate higher etc that I’ll be able to outbid them. Not very sophisticated but it works.

Also do you have any ads course or strategies you recommend? I did a bit of Charlie brandts which I may revisit. And a udemy course. My strategy is classic shopping with max cpc bid strategy, and search with the same bid strategy. I’ve tried other things but had no success. Oh and target impression share for branded search.

The symprosis google shopping app for shopify has been great to use too.

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
I am starting from scratch, that means, that I don't have an email list yet.

Great, thanks for the tip.

Concerning the question how I plan to sell my product: I was thinking of selling via my own website in the beginning and using Google Ads for advertising. I also planned to try to build a following through Facebook and Instagram after the launch and thus build another revenue stream.

To be honest, though, I have no idea if this is a good plan. I have never done anything like this before. Thus, I am grateful for any suggestions and tips.
Thanks.
Just curious to ask about email list and products. So to sell a product you first create an email list to sell a product via email marketing ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.