The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask me anything about eCommerce (Ongoing)

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Are those dates next to it the active dates? Your screenshot makes it look like they tried Shopify and moved to Woocommerce.

Lots of people have Wordpress (not Woocommerce) in addition to Shopify. Usually, they’ll install one on a subdomain or a subfolder. Generally, this is because the blogging capabilities are more robust on Wordpress, so you can rank articles for SEO purposes. The Shopify blogging platform has improved, but a lot of people still prefer Wordpress.

I don’t think it’s common to have multiple shopping carts, though.
the website just shows what there online store is made out of, I'm not sure if they are active dates or not. but is woo commerce not a plug in for Wordpress? because with out it your website would just be a blog correct? there for it is essential. Also can you build on Wordpress and use shopify for everything else?. and I understand what you are saying about the subdomains, but does it truly make a big difference? and also what did you mean exactly by multiple shopping carts

much thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
about to start building my website I was going to create it with Wordpress on my own. But im curious to see if getting a web designer is worth it or not?

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016
about to start building my website I was going to create it with Wordpress on my own. But im curious to see if getting a web designer is worth it or not?
Depends....where would you look to find an E commerce site builder?

Freddy270291

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Jul 3, 2020
Italy
Hi Bio,
I am currently studying to open my first dropshipping store (to learn the basics and earn the first dollars), backed by around 3k and the support of my wife, and I was thinking about opening a generic shop in a particular wide niche (let's say, for example, kitchen stuff) in order to learn and test many different products in that particular niche (without opening a different store for each of them) and also bundle the products between them.

Do you think this strategy makes sense in 2021 or it would be better to start with a branded modified product? After the first months of failing, learning and repeating the plan is to focus on branding and improved products, but I feel like I miss many pieces to the puzzle and I need to start broadly.

Also, I am living in Europe and I can't decide if targeting the major EU countries (due to the new VAT law, it's a headache for me) or focusing on the usual top countries (USA, Canada, Australia, UK).

Sorry if this question was already posted, I'm currently at page 24/25 and taking notes..

Blackman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
London, UK
I would assume shopify and woocommerce/wordpress

Definitely go with Wordpress, if you're comfortable with basic web design/blogging skills and can customize a theme yourself.

There are plenty of Wordpress themes available online (preferably paid with support) for all kinds of niches, so if you can get a ready theme and then just tweak it specifically towards your needs, then what's the point of hiring anyone?

On the other hand, if tweaking a theme sounds too technical for you, then yes, you'll need to get some help.

As for "Wordpress vs Shopify", it's a non-question for me, because I would go with Wordpress every time. The reason is simple - you're in FULL control of your store and can do whatever you want with it.

While Shopify may sound like an easy option, however there are plenty of stories around where peoples stores were suspended for silly reasons, so there's no point of building a business on someone else's platform, as they can kick you out whenever it suits them.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Definitely go with Wordpress, if you're comfortable with basic web design/blogging skills and can customize a theme yourself.

There are plenty of Wordpress themes available online (preferably paid with support) for all kinds of niches, so if you can get a ready theme and then just tweak it specifically towards your needs, then what's the point of hiring anyone?

On the other hand, if tweaking a theme sounds too technical for you, then yes, you'll need to get some help.

As for "Wordpress vs Shopify", it's a non-question for me, because I would go with Wordpress every time. The reason is simple - you're in FULL control of your store and can do whatever you want with it.

While Shopify may sound like an easy option, however there are plenty of stories around where peoples stores were suspended for silly reasons, so there's no point of building a business on someone else's platform, as they can kick you out whenever it suits them.
appreciate it, I was leaning more towards wordpress anyway because I can have total Control

RNoles19

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 29, 2016
Any recommendations for digital marketing courses specifically for E-Commerce? Or ways to learn digital marketing in 2021?
I grew a sports themed T-Shirt business to 30K customers / 900K in revenue primarily through Facebook ads, but that was in 2016/7 when I could get a click for 5 cents. The business cratered as ads cost skyrocketed.

Alferez

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 27, 2018
Hello @biophase and thank you for the great content you provide!

I've a question for you: I'm talking with Alibaba providers and want to get samples for a product I've designed. It is not a expensive product, just a set of cards.

Anyway, they are asking me for a sample something between 80$ to 140$... It seems expensive since I only want a set with 5 cards and a box to check quality.

What do you think?

Thank you.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello @biophase and thank you for the great content you provide!

I've a question for you: I'm talking with Alibaba providers and want to get samples for a product I've designed. It is not a expensive product, just a set of cards.

Anyway, they are asking me for a sample something between 80$ to 140$... It seems expensive since I only want a set with 5 cards and a box to check quality.

What do you think?

Thank you.

Are they custom making these cards for you or sending a sample random card? $80-$100 seems fine if that includes shipping.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
edit: I have read that you can use Wordpress/woocommerce as your front end and shopify as your backend, but does this make a difference? instead of just using only shopify or only woo commerce as an example?

Like AnneC said, it's likely that they moved.

Also, it's a huge mistake to separate your blog/content from your main domain. Ex: if you setup your content site at www.mystore.com but your shopping site at shop.mystore.com - ranking does not carry through across subdomains (although Google would tell you differently).

For anyone that says wordpress ranks better than Shopify, they'd also be wrong. We built our content site out on Shopify's blog platform (pretty decent) and we have a handful of well ranked articles, some number one for their topics.

TLDR: keep your store and content site on your main domain: www.mystore.com

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Like AnneC said, it's likely that they moved.

Also, it's a huge mistake to separate your blog/content from your main domain. Ex: if you setup your content site at www.mystore.com but your shopping site at shop.mystore.com - ranking does not carry through across subdomains (although Google would tell you differently).

For anyone that says wordpress ranks better than Shopify, they'd also be wrong. We built our content site out on Shopify's blog platform (pretty decent) and we have a handful of well ranked articles, some number one for their topics.

TLDR: keep your store and content site on your main domain: www.mystore.com
appreciate the response.
Ok yea that makes more sense.

Alferez

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 27, 2018
Are they custom making these cards for you or sending a sample random card? $80-$100 seems fine if that includes shipping.
Exactly, includes shipping and customization.

I'm on the way of importing a set of cards for education. Not sure if I'm going to have any benefit. I hope after all expenses to get 5$ benefit each set.

It is only one company that is doing this kind of cards. And they get good reviews except for several things that I'm improving.

I have some doubt if launching this set of cards without any branding. Just a better product. Going to give away 100 to position first positions. Anyway there's only one company doing this so I hope to position well.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Exactly, includes shipping and customization.

I'm on the way of importing a set of cards for education. Not sure if I'm going to have any benefit. I hope after all expenses to get 5$ benefit each set.

It is only one company that is doing this kind of cards. And they get good reviews except for several things that I'm improving.

I have some doubt if launching this set of cards without any branding. Just a better product. Going to give away 100 to position first positions. Anyway there's only one company doing this so I hope to position well.
What’s your cost and retail price?

Alferez

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 27, 2018
What’s your cost and retail price?
My cost is about 10€ with shipping etc, and retail price is about 20. I'm supposing an extra cost of Amazon, or delivering to the customer myself.

Do you think is worth if I'm just starting with Amazon FBA, or maybe is better just to make the deliver myself. The cost of sending to a customer here in Spain is about 5-6€. That remains a margin of 5€.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My cost is about 10€ with shipping etc, and retail price is about 20. I'm supposing an extra cost of Amazon, or delivering to the customer myself.

Do you think is worth if I'm just starting with Amazon FBA, or maybe is better just to make the deliver myself. The cost of sending to a customer here in Spain is about 5-6€. That remains a margin of 5€.
No, those costs won't work. Does that include Amazon's 15% commission? What is the cost of your product shipped to your home?

Alferez

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 27, 2018
No, those costs won't work. Does that include Amazon's 15% commission? What is the cost of your product shipped to your home?
No it does not include Amazon's commission. I'm really doubting if it is worth it to go on with this product.

Anyway I'm giving a try and see if I found another provider. It is not a product that sells a lot, competence is selling about 10 a day.

Would you launch a product like this if for example find another provider that sells a set of carts for 5$???

Sorry for the confussion with numbers, I've never launched a product and don't know all the details.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
No it does not include Amazon's commission. I'm really doubting if it is worth it to go on with this product.

Anyway I'm giving a try and see if I found another provider. It is not a product that sells a lot, competence is selling about 10 a day.

Would you launch a product like this if for example find another provider that sells a set of carts for 5$???

Sorry for the confussion with numbers, I've never launched a product and don't know all the details.

At $20 you need a product that you land at your house for $6 max. What would be better is landed for $4.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
@biophase
A week ago, I launched my first product on Amazon. I started getting sales a day ago, ~3 sales a day. 0 Reviews so far. (all products are still shipping to customers)
Whats the fastest way getting my first reviews. My plan was to ask 2 relatives (prime members) to purchase & review the product. Can they purchase & review the product that same day or do they need wait till the product is delivered. I am trying to avoid triggering any account bans or deleted reviews.

Also, do you have any experience selling on walmart.com?

I am trying to setup autoship subscription on Walmart.com, my product is recurring, but I can't find any resources for that.

Also, I am trying to fullfill my orders on Walmart.com using MCF Amazon. Walmart will not accept tracking numbers from MCF Amazon, so I am resorting to using USPS carrier name & a generic tracking code(12345). Do you know of a better work around? I don't have enough orders yet on walmart to use their fulfillment system.

Last edited:

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
@biophase

Whats the fastest way getting my first reviews. My plan was to ask 2 relatives (prime members) to purchase & review the product. Can they purchase & review the product that same day or do they need wait till the product is delivered. I am trying to avoid triggering any account bans or deleted reviews.

Uh no - don't do this. This used to work, but Amazon is well aware of this.

Biophase is more of an expert than I am, but I'll weigh in. For reviews:
Use Vine
Use the "ask for review" button in Seller Central (this can be automated with an App/Extension).
Also, sell a legitimately good product people want to buy and will naturally gain good reviews.

Side note: there are some more advanced strategies were testing, such as launching Amazon products to our own customers list and asking for reviews (not against Amazon's ToS), but these don't apply to you..yet.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Uh no - don't do this. This used to work, but Amazon is well aware of this.

Biophase is more of an expert than I am, but I'll weigh in. For reviews:
Use Vine
Use the "ask for review" button in Seller Central (this can be automated with an App/Extension).
Also, sell a legitimately good product people want to buy and will naturally gain good reviews.

Side note: there are some more advanced strategies were testing, such as launching Amazon products to our own customers list and asking for reviews (not against Amazon's ToS), but these don't apply to you..yet.
how will amazon ever find out. My relative lives on the other side of the country.

I’m enrolled in vine a week ago. No one is claiming my product. My guess is bc its a new/niche type of product.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
how will amazon ever find out. My relative lives on the other side of the country.

I’m enrolled in vine a week ago. No one is claiming my product. My guess is bc its a new/niche type of product.

Do you really think the one of the largest, most technologically advanced companies in the WORLD can't figure out you have a relative buying your product? Especially when they've been in CONSTANT hot water for fake reviews on their platform by major media companies?

Is it worth it to you for ONE review?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Are you friends on Facebook with your relatives? Have your relatives ever come over to your home and use your Wi-Fi? Have you ever use their Wi-Fi at their homes?

The easiest way to get reviews is to make more sales. But right now definitely email all the people that have purchased from you and ask them to review your product. Amazon reviews seem to pile up more quickly now since all they need to do is give you a star rating and not actually put any text in the review.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase
A week ago, I launched my first product on Amazon. I started getting sales a day ago, ~3 sales a day. 0 Reviews so far. (all products are still shipping to customers)

Also, do you have any experience selling on walmart.com?

I am trying to setup autoship subscription on Walmart.com, my product is recurring, but I can't find any resources for that.

Also, I am trying to fullfill my orders on Walmart.com using MCF Amazon. Walmart will not accept tracking numbers from MCF Amazon, so I am resorting to using USPS carrier name & a generic tracking code(12345). Do you know of a better work around? I don't have enough orders yet on walmart to use their fulfillment system.
And yes I have experience selling on Walmart. And I don’t sell on Walmart anymore. Basically they want you to have the same prices as Amazon but without out any of the fulfillment expenses.

Edit: I didn’t know Walmart has their own fulfillment service. This must be fairly recent.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Do you really think the one of the largest, most technologically advanced companies in the WORLD can't figure out you have a relative buying your product? Especially when they've been in CONSTANT hot water for fake reviews on their platform by major media companies?

Is it worth it to you for ONE review?
Makes sense, thnxs.

And yes I have experience selling on Walmart. And I don’t sell on Walmart anymore. Basically they want you to have the same prices as Amazon but without out any of the fulfillment expenses.

Edit: I didn’t know Walmart has their own fulfillment service. This must be fairly recent.
Yes, they pushing their fulfillment service hard.

I have been running AMZ Search ads for a few days now. The Ads are costing me $18 per sale at a 10% CVR with 0 reviews so far. Even with various product listing optimizations, (reviews, branded content etc.) getting my cost per sale down to $5.30(break-even) seems impossible with these ad cost.

This is a recurring product, so I don't mind breaking even on my first sale. (contacted support to get enrolled into Subscribe & Save program)

Price $17
Landed cost $5.50
FBA $6.18
Margin $5.32

Am I fighting an uphill battle with Amazon PPC with my margins?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Makes sense, thnxs.

Yes, they pushing their fulfillment service hard.

I have been running AMZ Search ads for a few days now. The Ads are costing me $18 per sale at a 10% CVR with 0 reviews so far. Even with various product listing optimizations, (reviews, branded content etc.) getting my cost per sale down to $5.30(break-even) seems impossible with these ad cost.

This is a recurring product, so I don't mind breaking even on my first sale. (contacted support to get enrolled into Subscribe & Save program)

Price $17
Landed cost $5.50
FBA $6.18
Margin $5.32

Am I fighting an uphill battle with Amazon PPC with my margins?
It will be a tough road with those numbers. You will get subscribe and save auto enrolled once you have enough sales. You can’t just ask them to put you on it.

Dustinaitis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 8, 2018
So is it allowed to ask customers who bought your product from amazon but are from your own list (e-mail list, social media, ...) for a review? For example someone on social media tells me they like the product and I ask them to leave a review?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
So is it allowed to ask customers who bought your product from amazon but are from your own list (e-mail list, social media, ...) for a review? For example someone on social media tells me they like the product and I ask them to leave a review?
Yes. This is allowed.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
@biophase
I'm trying to build a product business starting with e-commerce then push into B&M stores. Do you have any recommendations any genuine sources of information for building a product businesses?

I'm currently learning from Ryan Moran.

It's a bit confusing, as he teaches you to focus on an audience instead of product, but I have observed plenty of successful product businesses start by innovating on the product side and attracting an audience as a result. ie. MoneyDoc BruMate, Native

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.