• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

Are 5% yearly bonds/investments possible?

Discussion in 'Investing/Trading/Cryptocurrency/Altcoins' started by TreyAllDay, Jul 14, 2016.

1. TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay Whatever it takes Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,397
    My business is finally, slowly taking off and although I don't have the cash yet to fully fund my money tree- I want to start looking at the long term financial aspect of my life. In mj's book he talks about creating a money tree in government (or other) bonds that yields monthly payments at 5% return.

Can someone explain to me - is this still possible in today's markets? In my research the highest yields I've seen are near 1% in safe markets at 10 years? Is it about diversifying? I'm curious because I know riskier bonds can yield closer to 3-5% but you're giving up control to the market, isn't that a big no-no in the fastlane?

Thank you for any help

2. brickco

brickco Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $396
    Monthly? no. Not even possible to get 1% monthly in bonds unless they are complete junk. 5% per month is 79.6% per year. Bond returns are in the 1-4% range for anything that's "safe" (per year).

3. TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay Whatever it takes Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,397
    Whoops sorry I meant 5% per year lol.
    But so it is possible to find a safe bond near like 2.5-3% ? Good to hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100k likes this.
  4. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $42,922
    I don't know the answer to your question, but one thing I'll throw out there is -- if you have the time and inclination -- you might want to look into private lending against assets.

For example, lending against real estate, lending against accounts receivable, lending against equipment, etc. If you're conservative (keep LTV low) and can do even a half-decent job of underwriting, it's not tough to make 10-15% annually with not too much work and not too much risk.

topherea, Kak, FastLaner007 and 5 others like this.
  5. 100k

100k Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,319
    hayden0001 likes this.
  6. aespinosa

aespinosa New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $90
    If you want active investing, forex can produce returns >4% per month. (yes, monthly). The "downside" is that you have to learn technical analysis.

100k likes this.
  7. Soulrize

Soulrize Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $366
    never knew knowledge was a downside

8. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $12,941
    (Insiders plug)

There's a thread on the Inside that MJ and IceCreamKid, the two most prominent members of the forum, both use to generate monthly income through options.

Requires ~$50-100k to get started.

I'd pick up an Insiders membership and follow along: this could mean the difference between working for money and your money working for you.

MrHall, 100k, Scot and 1 other person like this.
  9. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $51,405
    There are a lot of dividend stocks out there that return 5-7%. But, with anything in the market, you entertain a certain amount of risk.

10. townhaus

townhaus Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,447
    Good to hear? 3%...why even bother.

Only if your other options are so bad that everything else you look at is going down, banks might collapse and so it's the best alternative (explains why people would actually pay negative interest rates in places).

I'd rather borrow the money at those rates, even if i didn't know what to do with it yet.

You don't make money buying bonds, you make money selling them to fools.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  11. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $42,922
    Some people have already made their money, and their goal is now just preservation (keeping up with inflation). If you're looking for a 100% passive and safe investment, this is one of the few truly passive and safe investments you're going to find.

FastLaner007 likes this.
  12. TreyAllDay

Rep Bank:
    $5,397
    Never really thought of investing as a way of getting rich. Might be aiming too low but I always visioned my first goal having $5,000,000 to Invest in a yield near 3%. I could do whatever I want and work on whatever business I wanted to with 20k a month of passive income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FastLaner007 likes this.
  13. Derek Phelps

Derek Phelps New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $21
    Check out investing in mortgaged

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

14. 100k

100k Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,319

15. jmomcc

jmomcc Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $216
    Is there a way to invest in this like a stock?

Edit: what i mean is a financial institution sells a product like a 'real estate lending stock' which is basically a slice of all their 'real estate lending' and you get a return on your slice depending on how well they do overall. When I write this out, I feel like I'm describing something that everyone else knows about..lol.

16. TreyAllDay

Rep Bank:
    $5,397
    100k likes this.
  17. Elif

Elif New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $91
    Monthly? no. Not even possible to get 1% monthly in bonds unless they are complete junk. 5% per month is 79.6% per year. Bond returns are in the 1-4% range for anything that's "safe" (per year).

Emma_Lee and 100k like this.
  18. TreyAllDay

Rep Bank:
    $5,397
    Just a note - I think I worded this poorly. I meant, can you get bonds that pay monthly dividends near 5% for the year?

IE: $1,000 earning 5% dividends. $50 in 12 monthly payments.

19. Elif

Elif New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $91
    Yes, That's What I meant

20. mom

mom Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $156
    No way!!!

If it was possible no-one would work...

If the top hedge funds are happy with 12% per annum....why do you think you can passively make 60% per annum?

One guy always told me...if a bond ever offers you more than 10%....it is probably a scam or very high risk. Why?

BECAUSE A BOND ISSUE IS PURELY TO BORROW MONEY..If they could pay so much back with little risk a bank or fund would lend it to them at <9%

The fact a company has to try and tap into retail for money is usually a big red flag.

Investing IMHO is where to safely park your fast lane profits....not to turn it into a fast lane opportunity. Most safe investements are in the 12-18% per annum range...

21. Andreas Thiel

Andreas Thiel Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $480
    Not sure if I understood that thread correctly, but I do not think this is considered "Money System" material yet, not sure if ever.

As I understand it, it is considered a business and something that FU money should be used for.

You have only read the first post, right?
    12-18% from safe investments???

22. JScott

Rep Bank:
    $42,922
    5-8 years ago, this was reasonable with unleveraged real estate (single family rentals) in several markets. We still have several properties that are nearly 100% passive (managed by a full-time property management company) that are generating 15% consistently, and even in a major market downturn, should continued to generate at least 12% unleveraged. Leveraged, they would probably generate a few percent more.

These days, you can still find mostly recession-proof 8-10% returns with passive real estate in some markets, but it's getting harder and harder.

Andreas Thiel likes this.
  23. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $357,630
    Admin Post
    I've edited this thread to say "5% yearly" -- 5% monthly in a fixed-bond investment doesn't exist and is a scam.

JScott likes this.
  24. TreyAllDay

Rep Bank:
    $5,397
    Thank you - I meant to edit this a long time ago to clarify I meant a 5% bond paying monthly dividends. In MFL you mentioned something like putting a $10MIL nest egg into bonds and earning $41K/Month dividends.

I've since learned a bit more in this area.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.