The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Are 5% yearly bonds/investments possible?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
My business is finally, slowly taking off and although I don't have the cash yet to fully fund my money tree- I want to start looking at the long term financial aspect of my life. In mj's book he talks about creating a money tree in government (or other) bonds that yields monthly payments at 5% return.

Can someone explain to me - is this still possible in today's markets? In my research the highest yields I've seen are near 1% in safe markets at 10 years? Is it about diversifying? I'm curious because I know riskier bonds can yield closer to 3-5% but you're giving up control to the market, isn't that a big no-no in the fastlane?

Thank you for any help

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

brickco

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 6, 2015
Monthly? no. Not even possible to get 1% monthly in bonds unless they are complete junk. 5% per month is 79.6% per year. Bond returns are in the 1-4% range for anything that's "safe" (per year).

OP
OP
TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Monthly? no. Not even possible to get 1% monthly in bonds unless they are complete junk. 5% per month is 79.6% per year. Bond returns are in the 1-4% range for anything that's "safe" (per year).
Whoops sorry I meant 5% per year lol.
But so it is possible to find a safe bond near like 2.5-3% ? Good to hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
I don't know the answer to your question, but one thing I'll throw out there is -- if you have the time and inclination -- you might want to look into private lending against assets.

For example, lending against real estate, lending against accounts receivable, lending against equipment, etc. If you're conservative (keep LTV low) and can do even a half-decent job of underwriting, it's not tough to make 10-15% annually with not too much work and not too much risk.

aespinosa

New Contributor
Jun 23, 2016
If you want active investing, forex can produce returns >4% per month. (yes, monthly). The "downside" is that you have to learn technical analysis.

The-J

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
(Insiders plug)

There's a thread on the Inside that MJ and IceCreamKid, the two most prominent members of the forum, both use to generate monthly income through options.

Requires ~$50-100k to get started.

I'd pick up an Insiders membership and follow along: this could mean the difference between working for money and your money working for you.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
There are a lot of dividend stocks out there that return 5-7%. But, with anything in the market, you entertain a certain amount of risk.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 21, 2012
London
Whoops sorry I meant 5% per year lol.
But so it is possible to find a safe bond near like 2.5-3% ? Good to hear

Good to hear? 3%...why even bother.

Only if your other options are so bad that everything else you look at is going down, banks might collapse and so it's the best alternative (explains why people would actually pay negative interest rates in places).

I'd rather borrow the money at those rates, even if i didn't know what to do with it yet.

You don't make money buying bonds, you make money selling them to fools.

Last edited:

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
Some people have already made their money, and their goal is now just preservation (keeping up with inflation). If you're looking for a 100% passive and safe investment, this is one of the few truly passive and safe investments you're going to find.

OP
OP
TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Only if your other options are so bad that everything else you look at is going down, banks might collapse and so it's the best alternative (explains why people would actually pay negative interest rates in places).

I'd rather borrow the money at those rates, even if i didn't know what to do with it yet.

You don't make money buying bonds, you make money selling them to fools.
Never really thought of investing as a way of getting rich. Might be aiming too low but I always visioned my first goal having $5,000,000 to Invest in a yield near 3%. I could do whatever I want and work on whatever business I wanted to with 20k a month of passive income.

jmomcc

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2014
I don't know the answer to your question, but one thing I'll throw out there is -- if you have the time and inclination -- you might want to look into private lending against assets.

For example, lending against real estate, lending against accounts receivable, lending against equipment, etc. If you're conservative (keep LTV low) and can do even a half-decent job of underwriting, it's not tough to make 10-15% annually with not too much work and not too much risk.
Is there a way to invest in this like a stock?

Edit: what i mean is a financial institution sells a product like a 'real estate lending stock' which is basically a slice of all their 'real estate lending' and you get a return on your slice depending on how well they do overall. When I write this out, I feel like I'm describing something that everyone else knows about..lol.

OP
OP
TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Elif

New Contributor
Jun 25, 2018

OP
OP
TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Just a note - I think I worded this poorly. I meant, can you get bonds that pay monthly dividends near 5% for the year?

IE: $1,000 earning 5% dividends. $50 in 12 monthly payments.

Elif

New Contributor
Jun 25, 2018
Just a note - I think I worded this poorly. I meant, can you get bonds that pay monthly dividends near 5% for the year?

IE: $1,000 earning 5% dividends. $50 in 12 monthly payments.
Yes, That's What I meant

mom

Contributor
May 9, 2016
My business is finally, slowly taking off and although I don't have the cash yet to fully fund my money tree- I want to start looking at the long term financial aspect of my life. In mj's book he talks about creating a money tree in government (or other) bonds that yields monthly payments at 5% return.

Can someone explain to me - is this still possible in today's markets? In my research the highest yields I've seen are near 1% in safe markets at 10 years? Is it about diversifying? I'm curious because I know riskier bonds can yield closer to 3-5% but you're giving up control to the market, isn't that a big no-no in the fastlane?

Thank you for any help
No way!!!

If it was possible no-one would work...

If the top hedge funds are happy with 12% per annum....why do you think you can passively make 60% per annum?

One guy always told me...if a bond ever offers you more than 10%....it is probably a scam or very high risk. Why?

BECAUSE A BOND ISSUE IS PURELY TO BORROW MONEY..If they could pay so much back with little risk a bank or fund would lend it to them at <9%

The fact a company has to try and tap into retail for money is usually a big red flag.

Investing IMHO is where to safely park your fast lane profits....not to turn it into a fast lane opportunity. Most safe investements are in the 12-18% per annum range...

Andreas Thiel

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
(Insiders plug)

There's a thread on the Inside that MJ and IceCreamKid, the two most prominent members of the forum, both use to generate monthly income through options.

Requires ~$50-100k to get started.

I'd pick up an Insiders membership and follow along: this could mean the difference between working for money and your money working for you.
Not sure if I understood that thread correctly, but I do not think this is considered "Money System" material yet, not sure if ever.

As I understand it, it is considered a business and something that FU money should be used for.

Investing IMHO is where to safely park your fast lane profits....not to turn it into a fast lane opportunity. Most safe investements are in the 12-18% per annum range...
You have only read the first post, right?
12-18% from safe investments???

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
12-18% from safe investments???
5-8 years ago, this was reasonable with unleveraged real estate (single family rentals) in several markets. We still have several properties that are nearly 100% passive (managed by a full-time property management company) that are generating 15% consistently, and even in a major market downturn, should continued to generate at least 12% unleveraged. Leveraged, they would probably generate a few percent more.

These days, you can still find mostly recession-proof 8-10% returns with passive real estate in some markets, but it's getting harder and harder.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I've edited this thread to say "5% yearly" -- 5% monthly in a fixed-bond investment doesn't exist and is a scam.

OP
OP
TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I've edited this thread to say "5% yearly" -- 5% monthly in a fixed-bond investment doesn't exist and is a scam.
Thank you - I meant to edit this a long time ago to clarify I meant a 5% bond paying monthly dividends. In MFL you mentioned something like putting a $10MIL nest egg into bonds and earning $41K/Month dividends.

I've since learned a bit more in this area.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
I recently bought an ebook from Kobo. It was one of the few places where I could find that...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I have zero coding skills whatsoever. Are coding skills needed? Will the be learned in the...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock