The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Apr-2018 Book Giveaway] “Work Less, Make More” by James Schramko

For any book discussion

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Work Less, Make More (James Schramko)

This is a excellent book and I’ve had quite a few insights I’m applying just on my first reading:
  • Goals. Find the right why and persue that instead of other people’s goals.
  • The concept of an Infinity Project - something you plan on doing forever and that will just keep growing in value as you do so.
  • The concept of 12 week sprints, and pushing anything new into the next 12 week period.
  • Finding a movement you enjoy and doing it every day (I’m still working on this)
  • Many more that I’ll add in here later.

I liked this book so much I contacted James and he’s offered to do a signed book giveaway.

I’ll come back and link to a few threads I’ve created because of reading this book. I’ll also drop a few links where you can buy it on Amazon via MJ’s affiliate link.

In the meantime, just reply to this thread with “Yes, please” if you’d like to be entered into the giveaway contest. If would be great if you mentioned why you’d like a copy of this book as information like that can help the author and others.

We’ll choose a name randomly at the end of the month.

EDIT: Here’s one of the threads I created after reading the book:

EDIT: Here's MJ's affiliate links to the book if you'd rather just buy now:

Amazon US Paperback:

Amazon UK Paperback:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Yes, please!

Sounds great, any recommendation of yours makes it onto my wish list

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Yes please

A way to gain knowledge is through other people's experiences (vicariously), and I'm positive James' book will help me
Get where I want to faster than he did.
Avoid some of the pitfalls he learned about the hard way.
Keep my eye on the prize and avoid distractions*

*as you can possibly tell I've already downloaded a kindle sample of the book and will purchase it anyway if I don't win;)

Seeker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Dec 21, 2015
Germany
Yes, please.

As a young parent I always look for ways to leverage my time and I'd be curious if the author has something to offer I don't already know from TMFL or 4-hour-workweek or all the other books I read instead of taking action.
On the other hand I'm not sure if I deserve a freebee because besides gathering knowledge, driving 4 hours oneway to Maastricht for the inofficial German/Dutch/Belgian meetup and talk a little bit about my profession there, I haven't added much value. I'm still 9-5 and haven't seriously attempted to grow a sidebusiness so far. So I was hesitant to post at all. As much as I'd enjoy another book, maybe somebody else should have it who is more commited to use the knowledge.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yes, please.

As a young parent I always look for ways to leverage my time and I'd be curious if the author has something to offer I don't already know from TMFL or 4-hour-workweek or all the other books I read instead of taking action.
On the other hand I'm not sure if I deserve a freebee because besides gathering knowledge, driving 4 hours oneway to Maastricht for the inofficial German/Dutch/Belgian meetup and talk a little bit about my profession there, I haven't added much value. I'm still 9-5 and haven't seriously attempted to grow a sidebusiness so far. So I was hesitant to post at all. As much as I'd enjoy another book, maybe somebody else should have it who is more commited to use the knowledge.
This book is super actionable. I was doing a second read with a notepad and pen to make notes. I ended up with a list of a dozen bullet points after chapter one, and then turned the page to find a bullet point summary of chapter one - which was pretty much my dozen bullet points.

I only got one concept from 4HWW that I remember. I’ve got so many new ones from “Work Less, Make More” that I’ve had to just focus on a few.

One is the Infinity Project and I created a thread about it which I linked to in the opening post.

One of my mastermind is trying into work out his Infinity Project. My reply to him about 10 minutes ago was this:

Your Infinity Project may be something you do all the time already. (Infinity stretches both ways I guess?)

For me it was easy... I create content all day every day - normally in response to people in forums, Facebook groups, or our mastermind. I have been creating content (not quite daily since) I discovered forums in 2009, and certainly daily since I joined TFLF.

So if that’s something I can’t NOT do, then how do I turn it into an asset? How do I make the sand between the rocks in my day build into a valuable asset over time - one that keep just getting more valuable?

What can you NOT stop yourself doing every day?

What do you find yourself doing when you have a break?

What type of work ends up getting done first when you should have been doing something else more urgent?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Could you tell us the fundamental concept of this author as to how to work less but make more?
My main takeaways from my first reading a few months ago were:

Work out what you actually want. For James it seems to be to surf everyday, while growing a businesss that fulfills him, without a large payroll or overheads. I’m paraphrasing, but that’s what resonated with me.

He’s a big fan of subscription style businesses with automated (not necessarily passive) MRR. I am too so he was preaching to the converted.

He’s also a big fan of systems and processes, which was a kick in my butt as this is stuff I know I should do but haven’t been focused on enough.

And he gives lots of super simple tips that can make an immediate difference. One was to work in focused periods of 12 weeks. If something new pops up then put it on the list of things to review next 12 week period (like if someone comes along with an interesting looking opportunity - rather than saying “No”, you say “Looks great. We’re focused on a few things until X date. We’ll review it then and get back to you.” (my paraphrasing again).

The whole book is sprinkeld with little tips like that.

However, when I get back home tomorrow I will skim through the book again and try and answer you question more simply.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
"Yes please"

This is an excellent book that I got on Kindle in January and the biggest principle I took from it was the 12-week work cycle.

I am sure that there are plenty of principles and concepts that I missed in the first read through, so a second read through would be beneficial.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"Yes please"

This is an excellent book that I got on Kindle in January and the biggest principle I took from it was the 12-week work cycle.

I am sure that there are plenty of principles and concepts that I missed in the first read through, so a second read through would be beneficial.
Yes, the 12 week cycle was excellent, especially when combined with the “buffer” of shunting any new work into the next 12 week cycle.

This is one of those few books in my small library that will end up dog-eared.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
@Andy Black I misread the OP and thought it was an upcoming release. I've already bought it, and yes it's very actionable. Even though I'm already doing a lot of the things he mentions, it's good to have confirmation from an expert that I'm on the right track.

Silver Silk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
May 10, 2017
Birmingham
Yes please

The 12 week cycle sounds interesting

greenGabbard

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Oct 13, 2017
Fresno, Ca
Yes sir please and thank you for your time, effort and consideration in this matter.

I would like this book simply because you recommended it, which means it had tremendous value for true entrepreneurs.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.