The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Apple Stand Empire - Importing for Resale

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
http://foreverjobless.com/apple-stand-empire/

If I could, I would make this blog post by @snowbank manditory reading for every member and visitor to the fast lane forum.

Interested in ecommerce? Looking for a shortcut? A product to import? How about buying a class from the people who teach you how to do this?

Billy doesn't have to spam the forum. Why? When something you write is this valuable... This golden, and this life changing I will post it for him.

Instant gold content. If you Paid $1,000 to read this single blog post it would be money well spent.

Read this

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Holy shit, I just read that blog post half an hour ago and came online to ask snowbank to post it here since every member on here can benefit from his words. You were faster :)

Incredible post, should be required to be read by new members.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Great article,

I have been on both sides of this coin.

Using outdated App Store info to launch an App and wondering why I wasn't having the same success as my guru.

and

Giving out very specialized 200k+ a year niche job info and wondering why a large percentage of the massive rush of people who wanted in were not having the same success.

I think while a certain amount of 'Johnny Apple' gurus know they are peddling info that won't work for their customers there are a certain amount who have the best of intentions. This concept works regardless of your teachers intentions - if the need is filled... its filled.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
People have contacted MJ asking how they can start a limo company. They are trying to open another apple cart.

You'll see people on the forum try to ask what the specific niche is that other people have found success with. Again, trying to open another apple cart.

Going to AliBaba and looking at their list of top sellers is the fastest way to failure. " Holy shit… Here's a list of the best selling products. All I have to do is import 10 of these, put them on eBay, and… Lambo."

Apple cart empire. The word picture analogy @snowbank used in this blog post should become part of the language at this forum.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Snowbank's blog is literally the only blog I read every article of these days.

I've been on a ton of different mailing lists and tried to keep up with some blogs but I always lose interest because:

- I get spammed with their stuff almost daily
- What they tell me they've said a thousand times, sometimes not even changing the copy
- The new stuff they post about sucks
- They try to use that old stuff to sell me new stuff that is just a rehash of the old stuff in paid form

I was genuinely worried with Billy's goal of writing MUCH more - I couldn't believe he would be capable of doing so without falling into the above trap. And then my fear felt like it was coming to fruition. The emails started coming in more frequently - not daily, but much more than I was used to from him.

But something weird happened - every post remained unique AND valuable. It wasn't spam, it was a welcomed and valued message.

Forever Jobless, I'm confident, will become "the" blog in this space very shortly. I also have no doubt that if he ever decides to compile his thoughts into a book it will end up on quite a few essential reading lists for a very long time. He's one of the very few people I read that I genuinely feel is operating on a different level.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

If I could, I would make this blog post by @snowbank manditory reading for every member and visitor to the fast lane forum.

Interested in ecommerce? Looking for a shortcut? A product to import? How about buying a class from the people who teach you how to do this?

Billy doesn't have to spam the forum. Why? When something you write is this valuable... This golden, and this life changing I will post it for him.

Instant gold content. If you Paid $1,000 to read this single blog post it would be money well spent.

Read this

Thank you @Vigilante! Really appreciate the share and the words.

I was wondering where all these $1k payments were coming from!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Snowbank's blog is literally the only blog I read every article of these days.

Thank you man!

Forever Jobless, I'm confident, will become "the" blog in this space very shortly. I also have no doubt that if he ever decides to compile his thoughts into a book it will end up on quite a few essential reading lists for a very long time. He's one of the very few people I read that I genuinely feel is operating on a different level.

Really appreciate it, thanks for such kind words. I quietly co-wrote a book last year that should be out relatively soon, and am planning to complete my first solo book by year end- will likely release in Q1 or Q2 of 2017. I'll get you an early copy.

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA
Wow.

I had no idea Forever Jobless was launched by someone on this forum. That's my favorite business resource (next to this forum). I've been frequenting that site for quite some time now.

This place just keeps getting better and better.

Steven French

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Apr 10, 2016
Canada
I'm glad I found this, I was worried for a second because I did something similar to what the people that blog is referring to do. But then I realized I already have the sales lined up and I'll make the money I spent back for sure with 6 products left over. Here's to hoping my marketing idea can beat my competition! Thanks for the post.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
This is gold! Rep+

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
@snowbank
Thx to @Vigilante I started following your blog. However, I really like it to follow blogs when they have a facebook page. I searched for it but I obviously found the wrong "Forever Jobless".

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I quietly co-wrote a book last year that should be out relatively soon, and am planning to complete my first solo book by year end- will likely release in Q1 or Q2 of 2017. I'll get you an early copy.

Awesome news! Can't wait to read both!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Great way to explain the ever present issue of chasing money. Love the new graphics @snowbank

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Billy, great article! Maybe you should start an AMA thread here. Could be incredibly valuable for members and for you.

MrOrigon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Mar 17, 2016
Thanks for the share, @Vigilante - this is especially relevant to me, since I'm starting a e-commerce company. Luckily, I don't think I'm following a Johnny Appleseed - my product fills a gap! However, this was a great read, and I'm glad you put it up here so I could read it.

And you, @snowbank! This is a great article, and you're a great writer! I really get down with the 'conversation' style writing - it allows the reader to put themselves into the shoes of both the educated and uneducated characters to understand the concept better. It's also a great way to reiterate the point you're trying to make, without seeming like you're trying for a larger word count by paraphrasing the same point.

For anyone who also likes his style of writing, a great read is "The Art of Argument" from the Classical Academic Press, a fun, textbook-style book that teaches you all the informal logical fallacies through examples and staged conversations between two college students and Socrates. It's really eye-opening for evaluating the strength (or, rather, the weakness) of our peer's and our own arguments - and just a lot of fun to read!

That's all for now, I have to go read all the posts on foreverjobless - I suppose it's my new Mr Money Mustache, since I already read every article on that blog ;)

KeepGoin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Mar 17, 2016
Hm maybe this is me right now with my ecommerce experiment.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm glad I found this, I was worried for a second because I did something similar to what the people that blog is referring to do. But then I realized I already have the sales lined up and I'll make the money I spent back for sure with 6 products left over. Here's to hoping my marketing idea can beat my competition! Thanks for the post.

Just wanted to point out that the marketing aspect of things is completely different than value and filling a gap in the market.

Yes, you can overcome value with marketing, but marketing is significantly easier when value is much higher than competition.

Also, in terms of making money on something it's not a great variable to focus on in the short term in terms of relating to it to making the right move or not. That's being results oriented, which is where a lot of people get into trouble.

For example, plenty of people could crush it in X, Y Z market when market is hot, but if they aren't doing things properly, they run a temporary income operation that will eventually go bust. In other words, they don't have a business they just don't know it yet.

Not saying this is you I have no idea what your product or market is, but just be careful not to confuse results with optimal decision making. There's a lot of people crushing it on Amazon right now for example that I can guarantee will be out of business in 18-24 months because they don't understand the economics of that market or the principles behind what makes a business successful.

They see that you can make money in Amazon doing X, Y, Z, and so they do X, Y and Z. But when the expected results from X, Y and Z change they will be late in adjusting because they were not thinking, they were just playing follow the leader. And if they're just waiting for the leader to tell them what to do next like most people are doing, they're in big trouble.

The majority of the people viewed as 'authority' or 'thought leaders' in the market are not optimal thinkers. Some of them don't even know why they're succeeding, they just know what markets are currently making money and "oh shit, this is hot we should sell info about it." And there's nothing wrong with selling info on something that's working, but the problem that it creates is that most people are following people for the wrong reasons. The temporary results from people in a hot market are creating the illusion that the person was responsible for the results and not the market, or market conditions. So when the market changes and they're still following the person's advice, the sample size evens itself out if it wasn't an actual 'thought leader'.

Look at how many authority figures are still telling people to start blogs and referencing their own success as if the blog is the important variable in the equation. The uninformed and people who aren't thinking for themselves will follow the marketing channel as if the marketing channel is the actual variable of success. In the long term this will almost never be true. A blog for example, is just a marketing platform. And not the optimal one for the majority of people. It's equivalent to if I filled a gap in a market and I decided to sell my product at flea markets. If I was crushing it it's unlikely that my success could be attributed to having a table at a flea market. The flea market would just be the marketing channel I was using to show people my product. Having a product that filled a gap would be the reason I was crushing it.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016

Read this

The Cook and the Chef

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/are-you-a-cook-or-a-chef.63843/
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/11/the-cook-and-the-chef-musks-secret-sauce.html

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

Steven French

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Apr 10, 2016
Canada
Just wanted to point out that the marketing aspect of things is completely different than value and filling a gap in the market.

Yes, you can overcome value with marketing, but marketing is significantly easier when value is much higher than competition.

Also, in terms of making money on something it's not a great variable to focus on in the short term in terms of relating to it to making the right move or not. That's being results oriented, which is where a lot of people get into trouble.

For example, plenty of people could crush it in X, Y Z market when market is hot, but if they aren't doing things properly, they run a temporary income operation that will eventually go bust. In other words, they don't have a business they just don't know it yet.

Not saying this is you I have no idea what your product or market is, but just be careful not to confuse results with optimal decision making. There's a lot of people crushing it on Amazon right now for example that I can guarantee will be out of business in 18-24 months because they don't understand the economics of that market or the principles behind what makes a business successful.

They see that you can make money in Amazon doing X, Y, Z, and so they do X, Y and Z. But when the expected results from X, Y and Z change they will be late in adjusting because they were not thinking, they were just playing follow the leader. And if they're just waiting for the leader to tell them what to do next like most people are doing, they're in big trouble.

The majority of the people viewed as 'authority' or 'thought leaders' in the market are not optimal thinkers. Some of them don't even know why they're succeeding, they just know what markets are currently making money and "oh shit, this is hot we should sell info about it." And there's nothing wrong with selling info on something that's working, but the problem that it creates is that most people are following people for the wrong reasons. The temporary results from people in a hot market are creating the illusion that the person was responsible for the results and not the market, or market conditions. So when the market changes and they're still following the person's advice, the sample size evens itself out if it wasn't an actual 'thought leader'.

Look at how many authority figures are still telling people to start blogs and referencing their own success as if the blog is the important variable in the equation. The uninformed and people who aren't thinking for themselves will follow the marketing channel as if the marketing channel is the actual variable of success. In the long term this will almost never be true. A blog for example, is just a marketing platform. And not the optimal one for the majority of people. It's equivalent to if I filled a gap in a market and I decided to sell my product at flea markets. If I was crushing it it's unlikely that my success could be attributed to having a table at a flea market. The flea market would just be the marketing channel I was using to show people my product. Having a product that filled a gap would be the reason I was crushing it.

Honestly you're 100% right, I could ride this for a while and make a decent bit of money off of it, I could probably even cut in on the guy selling them at "wholesale" price and make a business out of that, but no matter what it will eventually just stop making money altogether once people realize they can get the same results for free with a laptop, I give it less than 12 months lol.

But I've been staying up until 6am everyday learning data analysis by using terapeak, and I've found some good stuff I think I am going to focus on. I even managed to get a pretty good price by showing the Chinese guy I was negotiating with terapeak results. Some of my friends have paid 350$ for things that are on alibaba for 25-40$, and unlike the product I was talking about in my previous post the demand for this one will only get bigger. Thanks for the great advice.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Great article - and incredibly applicable even on this forum.

If you scan through the top trends here in the past year, you'll notice "self-publishing" and "copywriting".

Self-publishing has died down, but copywriting has not. Don't get me wrong, writing good copy is an amazing skill, but the amount of people jumping into copy is disproportionate when compared to the other valuable skill-sets. So my only conclusion is that a lot of these people here are just trying to build another apple stand. This article sums up the attitude perfectly.

Last edited:

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER