The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone does food importing into the US?

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I'm selling some private label dry food stuff (sourced from China, UK and AU), and will be sending them to the warehouse in the US, from which they'll then fulfil orders for me.
These will be sold online.

I understand there's some laws about selling food in the US, and it seems for foreign companies doing that, they need to have a contact person in the US who is registered with the FDA. Ones like these guys: FDA Agents - FDA Registration and U.S. Agent Representation

So, if I understand correctly, these guys will handle all the messy documents and law-related stuff for me, and I can just focus on the things I'm supposed to be doing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Depends on what it is (packaged, fresh, perishable, etc), but make sure even if you have an agent that you understand at a high level where the big points of liability are. Make sure to ask if there are any special storage requirements or if you can put it in a normal old warehouse.

Either you or the agent or the 3PL will need to keep track of code dates and batch numbers even for packaged food, at least to manage your liability. An insurance policy is also a good idea if you're selling something somebody is gonna eat.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Depends on what it is (packaged, fresh, perishable, etc), but make sure even if you have an agent that you understand at a high level where the big points of liability are. Make sure to ask if there are any special storage requirements or if you can put it in a normal old warehouse.

Either you or the agent or the 3PL will need to keep track of code dates and batch numbers even for packaged food, at least to manage your liability. An insurance policy is also a good idea if you're selling something somebody is gonna eat.

Thanks for the tips! For the insurance, I've contacted a few insurance companies about food / public liability insurance but most either don't reply, or hint that they only deal with bigger corporations.
So, I'm going without these for now and will think about those if the things gets bigger after the product validation phase.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
The appointment of US Agents is a mandatory requirement for foreign companies who wish to market their food products in USA.

Are you drop shopping? If so, your supplier will likely already have an established Food Facility Registration # and FDA agent. It may be worth speaking to them first.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I understand there's some laws about selling food in the US, and it seems for foreign companies doing that, they need to have a contact person in the US who is registered with the FDA. Ones like these guys: FDA Agents - FDA Registration and U.S. Agent Representation
That company and others like them can handle the huge amount of red tape that you need to be sure you are complying with FDA regulations. The cost may be high but it is worth it rather than try DIY in such important matters.

I doubt that they would help you locate a compliant warehouse, so I suggest you look at Logistics & Warehouse Services | USA Fulfillment They have been in the game for over 35 years.

Walter

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
The appointment of US Agents is a mandatory requirement for foreign companies who wish to market their food products in USA.
Are you drop shopping? If so, your supplier will likely already have an established Food Facility Registration # and FDA agent. It may be worth speaking to them first.

Didn't thought about this. I'm not drop-shipping but private-labelling.
They're based in Europe but have offices in the US, so I'll check with them. Thanks!

I doubt that they would help you locate a compliant warehouse, so I suggest you look at Logistics & Warehouse Services | USA Fulfillment They have been in the game for over 35 years.

Didn't know even the warehouse needs to be compliant lol. I've seen their website but from the looks of it, it seems they're more for big players. Not sure if they've a monthly minimum order. Will check.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.