The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any coaches worth it?

Guru

Saint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 11, 2022
Is there any way to find a coach who can help with "hard" business details like marketing, distribution, and scaling strategies? I see that EOS and Emyth have coaches you can hire, for instance. Curious if those programs are worthwhile, or if there is anything like it that is? i.e. entrepreneurs who know what they're doing and are available for coaching. I feel like I'm looking for the equivalent of an accountant, but for prioritizing strategies to grow the business.

There are so many gurus focused on mindset, or marketing agencies (although if I could find a good one I could probably use that too). I feel like my problem is that I have a ton of things to execute on, more than I can ever get to, though I promise I'm trying, and I also have a million books and threads and sites around 10+ skills I'm slowly but tenaciously learning. It seems like it would be so helpful to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about to cut to the bottom line about what to focus on.

I have a few friends in business too, but we already have to work to catch up as friends, much less about the nuts and bolts of our businesses, and when we do, I can't expect 100% focus on the issues I'm facing. It would be great to be able to compensate someone to talk strategy and know they have a good mind and experience for it.

Thanks for any ideas (or to tell me this is stupid and I don't need this)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

marble

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 11, 2023
Honestly, no idea about the true nature of those coaches. However, my basic intuition tells me that a coach, who is also an entrepreneur, is gonna be pretty good at getting lots of money from you while providing you with very little.

That being said, like almost everything else in the world, there can be good coaches and bad coaches. No one can answer the question you asked unless they have tried every coach ever. If you asked "Is John Doe Finance Coach from financecoach.com Worth It?" then someone could probably give you a definitive yes/no answer, however in your case the best you're getting is mixed reviews and a YMMV.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Is there any way to find a coach who can help with "hard" business details like marketing, distribution, and scaling strategies? I see that EOS and Emyth have coaches you can hire, for instance. Curious if those programs are worthwhile, or if there is anything like it that is? i.e. entrepreneurs who know what they're doing and are available for coaching. I feel like I'm looking for the equivalent of an accountant, but for prioritizing strategies to grow the business.

There are so many gurus focused on mindset, or marketing agencies (although if I could find a good one I could probably use that too). I feel like my problem is that I have a ton of things to execute on, more than I can ever get to, though I promise I'm trying, and I also have a million books and threads and sites around 10+ skills I'm slowly but tenaciously learning. It seems like it would be so helpful to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about to cut to the bottom line about what to focus on.

I have a few friends in business too, but we already have to work to catch up as friends, much less about the nuts and bolts of our businesses, and when we do, I can't expect 100% focus on the issues I'm facing. It would be great to be able to compensate someone to talk strategy and know they have a good mind and experience for it.

If nothing else, you can reach out to owners of businesses similar to yours and seek guidance from them.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
You might be looking for a consultant - not a coach. Both consultants help me with business decisions and actions, and coaches help me with mindset issues and mental strength. Looking back at my experience, coaching was mostly a waste of money and time. I personally prefer consulting where I work on a specific topic with somebody experienced.

Will you profit from consulting?

It depends.

If you have money to invest in consulting, you will benefit from reaching your goals much faster. One of my clients told me he made more progress in 3 months of working with me than in 3 previous years, so in my experience, consulting can be a faster way of getting results. Another client told me it helped to avoid common mistakes.

If you don't have money to invest in consulting, look for books. You can find everything you need to know in books, but your progress will probably be slower.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Narrow down your focus on one skill, in the Great Rat Race Escape . Theirs a section that talks about learning a specialized Skill that can help you increase your earnings rate per hour in less time. This skill could be Web Design, SEO, Marketing, or any kind of trade.

Next focus on Marketing, Sales, and Creative problem solving.

Questions I'd ask:

1. What is your business?
2. Who is your target audience?
3. What problems are you trying to solve?
4. What product or service have you created and did you try market it? How did the market respond?

SunnyN

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 2, 2014
Yes, a consultant specializes in knowing the intricacies and details. But, try to make sure he/she has any relevant practical entrepreneurial experience too. Don't fall for someone who talks just smoothly and sweetly to you just because he needs your money in case you are paying.

He needs to give you practical solutions.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
@LightHouse is a pretty awesome coach from what I hear, can’t speak to the ones you mentioned.

I think a coach is a catalyst, and they’re going to make you see things that you wouldn’t by yourself. Basically they can speed things up if you take their advice (assuming it’s not shit advice). Not super necessary, but could definitely be useful.

Saint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 11, 2022
You might be looking for a consultant - not a coach. Both consultants help me with business decisions and actions, and coaches help me with mindset issues and mental strength. Looking back at my experience, coaching was mostly a waste of money and time. I personally prefer consulting where I work on a specific topic with somebody experienced.

Will you profit from consulting?

It depends.

If you have money to invest in consulting, you will benefit from reaching your goals much faster. One of my clients told me he made more progress in 3 months of working with me than in 3 previous years, so in my experience, consulting can be a faster way of getting results. Another client told me it helped to avoid common mistakes.

If you don't have money to invest in consulting, look for books. You can find everything you need to know in books, but your progress will probably be slower.

Thanks for helping clarify - I think you're right, consultant is what I'm looking for. I'm definitely reading as much as I can in the main areas I need to grow in, but it makes a lot of sense that a consultant would greatly accelerate that progress.

It seems like what you're describing as a coach would be nice to have, but a consultant would be the much more helpful immediately valuable resource.

Now the question is where to find one and how to chose.

If nothing else, you can reach out to owners of businesses similar to yours and seek guidance from them.

I'm definitely looking out for and actually building a lot of rapport with business owners in my area who could help. The trouble with them is similar to trouble with friends in business I could talk to, but worse - it's hard to get time with them, and at best if I can get time it'll be irregular. Outside of people I'm meeting organically, it could involve a fair amount of work to find, reach out to, and convince a relevant business owner to connect. I'm willing to and eventually would, but if I could just pay someone worthwhile for their time that would be a lot quicker and easier!

Mind:Life

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 19, 2022
United States
Honestly, no idea about the true nature of those coaches. However, my basic intuition tells me that a coach, who is also an entrepreneur, is gonna be pretty good at getting lots of money from you while providing you with very little.

That being said, like almost everything else in the world, there can be good coaches and bad coaches. No one can answer the question you asked unless they have tried every coach ever. If you asked "Is John Doe Finance Coach from financecoach.com Worth It?" then someone could probably give you a definitive yes/no answer, however in your case the best you're getting is mixed reviews and a YMMV.
Not all coaches and consultants are only after the money. Some genuinely want to help others succeed, and share their life experience to improve the lives of others.

Saint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 11, 2022
Another way of putting what I'm looking - y'know how on Shark Tank an entrepreneur will come on with a plan, and the sharks will see three steps ahead and be able to identify all the issues with the first plan and quickly sketch out another strategy that would be far higher ROI?

The ideal consultant would be able to hear me talk about how I want to do X, Y, and Z, and tell me that X will be a ton of work with little profit, Y and Z may both be good choice, then outline what to do to figure out whether Y or Z makes the most sense. Obviously I can go pursue all 3 or one at a time, but that would take a ton of time and effort. I assume there would be many situations where anyone with a bit more experience than me could just see that X and Y won't be as fruitful, so Z would be the way to go.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have a ton of things to execute on
Maybe. What's the ONE thing you can do that will make everything else either unnecessary or easier?

If you had to do just one thing to be happy with progress this week then what would it be?

I also have a million books and threads and sites
Not only does this take time and energy. It also jumbles up your brain with too many ideas and things to do. It's pretty hard to focus when you're consuming so much.

Maybe this will help:

around 10+ skills I'm slowly but tenaciously learning
What are those 10+ skills? Why do you feel you need to learn them all?

what to focus on
Have you made a sale yet? If you have, focus on consistently getting more sales, or building a system to get more sales, fulfil the sales, etc. If you haven't made a sale then focus on getting a sale?

I'm definitely reading as much as I can
Why?

Obviously I can go pursue all 3 or one at a time
No, you can't.

It seems like you could say No to more things?

"You can't invoice for input." (Blaise Brosnan) ... rather than spending all that time and energy reading millions of books and threads, why not read/learn just to solve the problem in front of you?

What ONE thing can you do that will make everything else unnecessary or easier?

I think you could benefit from watching some of this call, especially the first part where I go through some of what I think holds people back when they're just getting started:

Saint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 11, 2022
Have you ever looked at clarity.fm?
No, but this looks like a great resource! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to check this out.

Thanks @Andy Black for the feedback. I'll listen to that call. I think I've read that thread before, and definitely hear the message loud and clear. I might be hyperbolizing a bit. Even about "reading as much as I can", I mean within the bounds of not letting it get in the way of taking action. 30 minutes - hour a day to get smart about what I'm taking lots of action on.

Have you made a sale yet? If you have, focus on consistently getting more sales, or building a system to get more sales, fulfil the sales, etc. If you haven't made a sale then focus on getting a sale?

The 10+ skills I'm referring to are things like social media marketing, website design, ecommerce, SEO...the little things that we have to take action on, but I'm a total noob at to get more sales and build a system.

Check out the most recent post on my progress thread if you'd like! We're making a fair amount of sales through several channels. Getting more sales and building a system to get more sales is exactly what I'm trying to learn to do and think could value coaching/consulting for. My "One thing" right now, is dropping off samples at businesses, which I'm doing quite frequently.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
There are a LOT of questions in your thread here :rofl:

Is there any way to find a coach who can help with "hard" business details like marketing, distribution, and scaling strategies?

Yes, coaching/consulting is a gazillion-dollar/year market. (Source: I have been a consultant for many years now)

I see that EOS and Emyth have coaches you can hire, for instance. Curious if those programs are worthwhile, or if there is anything like it that is? i.e. entrepreneurs who know what they're doing and are available for coaching. I feel like I'm looking for the equivalent of an accountant, but for prioritizing strategies to grow the business.

As a high D/I -- the organization has always been tough for me. I followed E-Myth to a tee in order to sell my first business. I'm a huge fan but I only hired a coach from their organization for a review of my stuff before the sale (it was only an hour consult).

I've also been a rebellious a**hole so anyone telling me I *have* to do anything so I stayed away from EOS... but... after your team gets above 10 people I think you need something in place. I'm currently consulting with a company that is obsessed with EOS and I definitely see the value in their structure.

It forces you to behave like a real organization.

Read the book Traction and see if it jives with you. If you go down that route you hire an "integrator" to help you lay out your vision, meetings, structures, accountability chart, etc. That would be your "coach"

There are so many gurus focused on mindset, or marketing agencies (although if I could find a good one I could probably use that too).

Mindset is the most important thing... however, I think most gurus focus on mindset because they have no idea what they are doing. They don't have anything of substance in the strategy department so they rely heavily on mindset -- AND they aren't even any good at it.

In my mind, a proper strategy can't be taught without mindset. Specifically what to think, how to think, and WHY it's important.

I.E. (not a full strategy but just broad strokes)

"The fortune is in the follow-up."

The challenge: On average 90% (or more) of people who hit a shopping cart online do not check out.

The incorrect mindset (literally stuff I've heard again and again):
  • Everybody is a liar and/or cheater and people are flakey
  • Outright denial "that's not true. everyone who adds to cart checks out"
  • They must not want it if they didn't buy it right then and there
The correct mindset:
  • Someone who abandons the cart is the MOST likely to buy
  • Something might have happened technologically (or maybe they just X'd out by accident)
  • Something probably happened in their life (kid's school called, cat puked on the rug, they got distracted by boobs on the internet)
  • People are GRATEFUL when we follow-up with them on something they intended to buy
  • Maybe we didn't answer all of their questions/objections (is this the right size?)
The strategy:
  • Create a multi-day multi-modal followup campaign with email, text messages, and retargeting ads.

... I'm just spit-balling here but hopefully, it proves the point. Yes, mindset is important, but specifically mindset AROUND the strategy itself.

I feel like my problem is that I have a ton of things to execute on, more than I can ever get to, though I promise I'm trying, and I also have a million books and threads and sites around 10+ skills I'm slowly but tenaciously learning. It seems like it would be so helpful to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about to cut to the bottom line about what to focus on.

I wouldn't suggest hiring anybody until you get some clarity around your goals. What's the actual OUTCOME you're after? What are you missing to achieve that outcome? Maybe a coach like @LightHouse could help you get some clarity so you know next steps.

That's the idea of this forum. To chat through ideas and strategies. The only challenge you'll face here is you'll get a lot of dumb advice from anonymous strangers on the internet (aka me) that you'll have to sift through and see if it's any good.

Saint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 11, 2022
There are a LOT of questions in your thread here :rofl:

Yes, coaching/consulting is a gazillion-dollar/year market. (Source: I have been a consultant for many years now)

As a high D/I -- the organization has always been tough for me. I followed E-Myth to a tee in order to sell my first business. I'm a huge fan but I only hired a coach from their organization for a review of my stuff before the sale (it was only an hour consult).

I've also been a rebellious a**hole so anyone telling me I *have* to do anything so I stayed away from EOS... but... after your team gets above 10 people I think you need something in place. I'm currently consulting with a company that is obsessed with EOS and I definitely see the value in their structure.

It forces you to behave like a real organization.

Read the book Traction and see if it jives with you. If you go down that route you hire an "integrator" to help you lay out your vision, meetings, structures, accountability chart, etc. That would be your "coach"

Mindset is the most important thing... however, I think most gurus focus on mindset because they have no idea what they are doing. They don't have anything of substance in the strategy department so they rely heavily on mindset -- AND they aren't even any good at it.

In my mind, a proper strategy can't be taught without mindset. Specifically what to think, how to think, and WHY it's important.

I.E. (not a full strategy but just broad strokes)

"The fortune is in the follow-up."

The challenge: On average 90% (or more) of people who hit a shopping cart online do not check out.

The incorrect mindset (literally stuff I've heard again and again):
  • Everybody is a liar and/or cheater and people are flakey
  • Outright denial "that's not true. everyone who adds to cart checks out"
  • They must not want it if they didn't buy it right then and there
The correct mindset:
  • Someone who abandons the cart is the MOST likely to buy
  • Something might have happened technologically (or maybe they just X'd out by accident)
  • Something probably happened in their life (kid's school called, cat puked on the rug, they got distracted by boobs on the internet)
  • People are GRATEFUL when we follow-up with them on something they intended to buy
  • Maybe we didn't answer all of their questions/objections (is this the right size?)
The strategy:
  • Create a multi-day multi-modal followup campaign with email, text messages, and retargeting ads.

... I'm just spit-balling here but hopefully, it proves the point. Yes, mindset is important, but specifically mindset AROUND the strategy itself.

I wouldn't suggest hiring anybody until you get some clarity around your goals. What's the actual OUTCOME you're after? What are you missing to achieve that outcome? Maybe a coach like @LightHouse could help you get some clarity so you know next steps.

That's the idea of this forum. To chat through ideas and strategies. The only challenge you'll face here is you'll get a lot of dumb advice from anonymous strangers on the internet (aka me) that you'll have to sift through and see if it's any good.

Thanks for covering so many points! The kind of mindset guidance you're talking about does sound very helpful. Like you said though, I think getting clarity on goals is the first step, and that's where I'm wondering where to get guidance.

Even as far as EOS and EMyth, I wouldn't even be as interested yet in their business systems. It sounds like you thought those are pretty legit though. When I checked out their consultant/coach pages, it just seemed like they had solid businesspeople available to connect with. I'd assume talking to one of them, even if it wasn't about the EOS/Emyth system but about strategy in general, would be valuable.

I'm definitely learning a ton from the forum! So thankful for everyone who's replied in this and other threads. The issue you mentioned is the reason I'd love to find someone consistent guidance from though.

D

Deleted8v369

I tried using a coach last year. From my experience, your assessment is correct -complete waste of money.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

Why would a good entrepreneur provide a bad deal?

This shows you don't understand how making money works haha.

A good entrepreneur consultant would provide so much value that the customer would stay with him for several years and reccomend him to all his friends.

Don't confuse entrepreneur for huckster...

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI

I'll talk to you

marble

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 11, 2023
This shows you don't understand how making money works haha.

A good entrepreneur consultant would provide so much value that the customer would stay with him for several years and reccomend him to all his friends.
I don't know how making money works.

But, I know that value is subjective, and so is calling an entrepreneur good. A person who already has a business making 5 figures a month and wants to step up their game, would see the coach paraphrasing free business YT videos for $200 a session as a scam. A different person who can barely form a personal thought but wants to get rich with their hand held sees the same coach as life changing.

The entrepreneur coach is finding the right customer and providing insane value to him, might that make him a good entrepreneur? However, coaching is a job, it's attached to your time. Guess they're a bad entrepreneur now. Subjective as usual.

I never said all coaches were bad, I just meant my post to be a suggestion to be careful with who OP picks as their guide, as we all know the finance guru and coach market is filled with people who don't know a thing about making money, just like me! Maybe I should make a course.. ?

smtlaissezfaire

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 5, 2017
Oakland
Another thought: a coach is not a mentor.

A mentor has "been there and done that". Often, you speak very little to a mentor. Often mentorship is not formal. Sometimes a checkin with a mentor is just a short conversation every few years.

I think clarity.fm would be good for that - pay a few hundred bucks and speak to someone for half an hour about some very pointed subject. It's not as good as a real mentor, which often has a lot of context into your life and knows you. But it's along the same lines. (I think this is what you're looking for.)

OTOH - a coach hasn't necessarily "been there, done that". Often the best coaches have been around greatness and may have been good, but usually they weren't the star. Consider Steve Kerr. Another interesting person is Tim Grover (MJ and Kobe's personal trainer). Grover got hurt as a player and so could never fulfill his dreams. That has left him with a fire in his belly that he gets into his trainees. A serious "I WILL CUT YOUR THROAT TO WIN IF I NEED TO" that translates into his superstars winning during big games.

Coaches often can bring out the best in you. But they aren't going to be the people to necessarily model.

I feel like I'm looking for the equivalent of an accountant, but for prioritizing strategies to grow the business.
I found a very simple decision framework - taught to me by Tom Bilyeu (of Quest nutrition). It's how he prioritizes things in his business. And turns out it was invented by someone I used to work with - Sean Ellis (who is a marketer and angel investor who coined the term "Growth Hacking").

The framework is called "ICE". ICE = Impact, Confidence, Ease. You can look it up online, but basically you create a grid of all of your opportunities, and then rate each one 1-10 in terms of the 3 factors (Impact, Confidence, and Ease). You then multiply the 3 #'s together to get your score. What is ever is highest is what you prioritize.

Anyway, just my 2c. HTH.

David Foster

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 4, 2022
One issue with questions about things that are poorly defined is that the answers have very limited use. Getting support and guidance for a business can take many forms and that makes your search (and everyone else's) pretty difficult.

A lot of people who charge money to help have never done what they are helping with - some of them can be great, and others not. Some successful founders who have done it are rubbish at helping, because it's not in their skillset. Could Bill Belicheck throw the ball as well as Tom Brady? Was the "Trillion Dollar Coach" as a successful businessperson as Steve Jobs or Larry Page?

Complicating this (sorry) is that 99% of the people and businesses I've successfully helped could not self-diagnose what their problem was. Team performance issues turn out to be the CEO's communication skills. Product market fit becomes poor hiring practices. A lack of productivity becomes HR/job description cofuckles. You get the idea.

I've been called a lot of things. Advisor, mentor, coach and a few I probably shouldn't mention here. I let people I work with call me whatever fits, and the most consistent thing we do at first is to diagnose what's going on. Sometimes that means I help them find someone who's better suited than I am to help,, and sometimes that means that we are working on something similar to Flannery O'Connor's definition of good fiction: "unexpected and yet inevitable."

Your mission: talk to as many different people who you think can help you, don't pay too much attention to the titles, go with your gut, and accept that there is no progress without being uncomfortable.

Saint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 11, 2022
Another thought: a coach is not a mentor.

A mentor has "been there and done that". Often, you speak very little to a mentor. Often mentorship is not formal. Sometimes a checkin with a mentor is just a short conversation every few years.

I think clarity.fm would be good for that - pay a few hundred bucks and speak to someone for half an hour about some very pointed subject. It's not as good as a real mentor, which often has a lot of context into your life and knows you. But it's along the same lines. (I think this is what you're looking for.)

OTOH - a coach hasn't necessarily "been there, done that". Often the best coaches have been around greatness and may have been good, but usually they weren't the star. Consider Steve Kerr. Another interesting person is Tim Grover (MJ and Kobe's personal trainer). Grover got hurt as a player and so could never fulfill his dreams. That has left him with a fire in his belly that he gets into his trainees. A serious "I WILL CUT YOUR THROAT TO WIN IF I NEED TO" that translates into his superstars winning during big games.

Coaches often can bring out the best in you. But they aren't going to be the people to necessarily model.

I found a very simple decision framework - taught to me by Tom Bilyeu (of Quest nutrition). It's how he prioritizes things in his business. And turns out it was invented by someone I used to work with - Sean Ellis (who is a marketer and angel investor who coined the term "Growth Hacking").

The framework is called "ICE". ICE = Impact, Confidence, Ease. You can look it up online, but basically you create a grid of all of your opportunities, and then rate each one 1-10 in terms of the 3 factors (Impact, Confidence, and Ease). You then multiply the 3 #'s together to get your score. What is ever is highest is what you prioritize.

Anyway, just my 2c. HTH.
Interesting to see that breakdown between coach and mentor. That simple definition of coach actually sounds really helpful. I've never used one in my personal life, and it seems like a luxury, but having someone committed to pushing you and holding you accountable seems very valuable. Definitely not the first thing I was looking for, consultant sounds a lot closer.

I love that framework! It makes so much sense. Those three components make so much sense. I'm going to apply that to the opportunities we have in front of us and see what shakes out.

Saint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 11, 2022
Your mission: talk to as many different people who you think can help you, don't pay too much attention to the titles, go with your gut, and accept that there is no progress without being uncomfortable.
This is pretty much what I've settled on. I'm networking more in my area and starting to get traction connecting with people who are ahead of me in the game, and it seems like a lot of these services like EOS or Emyth will at least let you have a chat before you make a big investment. Seems worth it to check them out and see if any hit home. Really appreciate the messages from folks in this thread too!

David Foster

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 4, 2022
... and it seems like a lot of these services like EOS or Emyth will at least let you have a chat before you make a big investment.
One thing that might be valuable to remember: your personal connection and feeling with someone is much more important than what service or group he or she is with. I'm not arguing that the details of the engagement don't matter, but even a perfect package with someone you don't really trust/click with/respect/etc. will be really hard to get results from.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.