The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

#AndyTalks AdWords (70 min video interview)

Marketing, social media, advertising

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've just done a "blab".

Sigh... I have a lovely mic sat on the desk, but used my wireless headphones because I thought I might stand up and use the flip chart. I didn't in the end, so could have had better sound quality. I'll do that next time.

Here's the blab replay: https://blab.im/bsodiw

I've also cut the start where we're waffling and shoved the video on YouTube:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Man you gotta stop producing so much content, i'm still on the Daily Vee's you recommended to me. Coming your way ASAP, thanks for continuing to contribute!
You know what I'm going to do now of course?

Do even more! :)

Thanks for your kind words @welshmin, and following/watching/reading/consuming.

Hope it's helping you!

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
I love how you've jumped on this video creation thing and are powering ahead with it like a superstar. I don't love so much how it's making me feel lazy. Time to up my game.

Oh, and full respect on managing to maintaining such quality with the quantity. You're my hero ;)

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Probably been a bit too heavy on the Gary Vee lately, but have you considered snapchat? I would definitely consume your daily knowledge nuggets.

I'm thinking of using it myself, mostly for myself as a way to stay focused and as a kind of 'journal'. But obviously not so permanent as youtube.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think I sort of understand Adwords.. kinda

thanks
Thanks for watching @Buickestate

Lol. You'd understand it better if I obeyed "show don't tell", and did a screenshare and talked over it.

I WILL get round to doing that.

Of course, we never *really* understand anything till we do it.

"Wisdom is earned."

:)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I love how you've jumped on this video creation thing and are powering ahead with it like a superstar. I don't love so much how it's making me feel lazy. Time to up my game.

Oh, and full respect on managing to maintaining such quality with the quantity. You're my hero ;)
Thank you @Imgal, for watching (70 mins!), and for the feedback and kind words.

The trick was to find a way that suits me, and make it a habit.

Snapchat daily videos is *really* helping to make it a habit.

If it's inspiring you to up your game then that's tre-men-dous, as it's one of the reasons I started the #AndyTalks thread - to show people you just need to start. :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Probably been a bit too heavy on the Gary Vee lately, but have you considered snapchat? I would definitely consume your daily knowledge nuggets.

I'm thinking of using it myself, mostly for myself as a way to stay focused and as a kind of 'journal'. But obviously not so permanent as youtube.
Thanks for the feedback @welshmin

Funny you suggest Snapchat. I've been on it for a while now and creating daily videos. Most of my YouTube videos in my #AndyTalks thread have been created with Snapchat.

I'm not publishing all of the videos to YouTube and making them permanent (although I *am* storing all of them for later use where I'll pull out sections to publish separately).

I'm on Snapchat as AndyBlack10 (which are my Twitter, Periscope, and Blab handles too).
(^^^ I've just added that to my signature.)

I highly recommend Snapchat for personal journaling, getting comfortable in front of the camera, learning to deliver lines, and learning not to ramble.

It's helped me immeasurably at all of the above.

Most importantly, it's helped me make video creation a daily habit, which really is the best way we improve at anything.

Go for it! :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Adwords.

A non-intuitive user interface, designed by geeks for other geeks to use.

UI gets an F.

Friendliness gets an F.

Navigation gets an F.

Terms use gets an F as they invented their own language.

Site map within Adwords gets an F.

Ability to quickly get the answer you are looking for? F.

Results? A+

I triggered a few campaigns. Performing well out of the chute. CPC = acceptable. Conversions = acceptable. Traffic = great.

That DOESN'T excuse the fact that Google sucks a$$.

Why is it so complicated for them to do en masse what Amazon did privately and easily?

I can build a targeted ad campaign within Amazon in a few minutes.

And then, when I want to look at it... it's like RIGHT THERE.

Google sucks.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Adwords.

A non-intuitive user interface, designed by geeks for other geeks to use.

UI gets an F.

Friendliness gets an F.

Navigation gets an F.

Terms use gets an F as they invented their own language.

Site map within Adwords gets an F.

Ability to quickly get the answer you are looking for? F.

Results? A+

I triggered a few campaigns. Performing well out of the chute. CPC = acceptable. Conversions = acceptable. Traffic = great.

That DOESN'T excuse the fact that Google sucks a$$.

Why is it so complicated for them to do en masse what Amazon did privately and easily?

I can build a targeted ad campaign within Amazon in a few minutes.

And then, when I want to look at it... it's like RIGHT THERE.

Google sucks.
100% agree.

I don't think even Google understand how to use AdWords. Sitting through their training is excruciating.

The less people understand AdWords, the better for me.

(Hmmm... now why did I create that video and write all that stuff again?)

PS: It's easy to navigate when you know what to look for. Unhide a few columns. Hide a few others. The numbers paint a picture, and you don't need so many of them to "see" what's going on in your account.

PPS: I've just realised you called me a Geek!

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Hi Andy I hope you're well. I have a question regarding Adwords if you'd be so kind enough to answer.

At what point should I add a keyword as negative if its not converted any clicks into sales?

Should I decide on the number of clicks then when it reaches that level maybe disable it?

If I've got a keyword that's had 25 clicks and cost £6.80 and not resulted in a sale and the profit margin for that item is £3.00 would you disable that?

I'm referring to google shopping and I know the keyword is extremely relevant to the product.

Thanks
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Andy I hope you're well. I have a question regarding Adwords if you'd be so kind enough to answer.

At what point should I add a keyword as negative if its not converted any clicks into sales?

Should I decide on the number of clicks then when it reaches that level maybe disable it?

If I've got a keyword that's had 25 clicks and cost £6.80 and not resulted in a sale and the profit margin for that item is £3.00 would you disable that?

I'm referring to google shopping and I know the keyword is extremely relevant to the product.

Thanks
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keyword or search term?

Read thread "The single biggest reason people lose money with AdWords".

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
This video is a great summary of all the different adwords post from @Andy Black. For those of you who don't want to listen to the whole interview, my notes are below. Hope they help!

Your goal -> find wiggle-room in a specific/relevant niche within a specific/local area where your client can beat the competition and make a name for himself.

all you need is 10 good advertisements and you’ve got a very competitive set of ads on Adwords

50 campaigns, 1 for each state if they cover the whole country

set campaign to adjust target local market and make sure you know what their market is

direct google traffic by avoiding same city names in different countries

biggest mistake -> calling what people type into google a “keyword”.. its a SEARCH TERM

"keyword" is what you tell google you want your ad to appear for

"search term" is what joe blow types in the google search bar - which might be a variance on the keyword you selected

not differentiating between the two (keyword & ST) -> causes traffic to leaked by google because of the different match types
  • broad match causes more variance between what people are typing in and what you’re telling google you want your ads displayed for -> this causes your ad to not be as relevant as you want -> the direction you don't want to go
first way you’ll lose your shirt is by letting broad match F*ck you

getting started -> only way your gonna learn is when you actually have a go

location settings -> advanced -> exclude IP addresses outside your target location -> you don’t want people in chatsworth, UK finding your ad in chatsworth, ca

first problem usually is too much broad match

click on columns, unhide the keywords, then you can see which keywords are costing so much

you’re not trying to get as many clicks as possible -> you just want the sales -> its not traffic, they’re people

Andy teaches people how to AVOID WASTAGE of time and money from people getting frustrated looking for help and those that can help them

less clicks and impressions, but CTR will be much higher -> CPC will be higher -> bid higher -> less keywords into a tighter funnel -> getting rid of wastage -> spend more on less keywords with maximum efficiency for best ROI

first: bid on your branded search terms -> most likely to convert, google rewards with lower CPC -> grows CTR due to maximum relevance -> business names with generic names aren't the best ie "best car insurance" etc.

second: only bid on search terms that have location in it; exclude IP addresses outside locations served

third: don’t bid on broad match

if your a dublin plumber and somebody searches rathmines plumber… the rathmines plumber will be in a better ad position (do both)

modified broad match - tight enough to keep you out of trouble, but broad enough

fourth: +plumber +rathmines -> ad headline: rathmines plumber -> plumber in 20 sub-locations -> 1 keyword per adgroup -> inn that adgroup have 1 ad

andy is in excel more often than he is in adwords

know how to join words together in excel

local lead generation is so easy to beat the competition

exercise: how many ads actually put in the location, when you click on the ads, how many LP’s show what they are searching for in the location they need?

as a frustrated searcher… what ad and LP do you want to see? Refer back to the holy trinity of paid search

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
This video is a great summary of all the different adwords post from @Andy Black. For those of you who don't want to listen to the whole interview, my notes are below. Hope they help!

Your goal -> find wiggle-room in a specific/relevant niche within a specific/local area where your client can beat the competition and make a name for himself.

all you need is 10 good advertisements and you’ve got a very competitive set of ads on Adwords

50 campaigns, 1 for each state if they cover the whole country

set campaign to adjust target local market and make sure you know what their market is

direct google traffic by avoiding same city names in different countries

biggest mistake -> calling what people type into google a “keyword”.. its a SEARCH TERM

"keyword" is what you tell google you want your ad to appear for

"search term" is what joe blow types in the google search bar - which might be a variance on the keyword you selected

not differentiating between the two (keyword & ST) -> causes traffic to leaked by google because of the different match types
  • broad match causes more variance between what people are typing in and what you’re telling google you want your ads displayed for -> this causes your ad to not be as relevant as you want -> the direction you don't want to go
first way you’ll lose your shirt is by letting broad match F*ck you

getting started -> only way your gonna learn is when you actually have a go

location settings -> advanced -> exclude IP addresses outside your target location -> you don’t want people in chatsworth, UK finding your ad in chatsworth, ca

first problem usually is too much broad match

click on columns, unhide the keywords, then you can see which keywords are costing so much

you’re not trying to get as many clicks as possible -> you just want the sales -> its not traffic, they’re people

Andy teaches people how to AVOID WASTAGE of time and money from people getting frustrated looking for help and those that can help them

less clicks and impressions, but CTR will be much higher -> CPC will be higher -> bid higher -> less keywords into a tighter funnel -> getting rid of wastage -> spend more on less keywords with maximum efficiency for best ROI

first: bid on your branded search terms -> most likely to convert, google rewards with lower CPC -> grows CTR due to maximum relevance -> business names with generic names aren't the best ie "best car insurance" etc.

second: only bid on search terms that have location in it; exclude IP addresses outside locations served

third: don’t bid on broad match

if your a dublin plumber and somebody searches rathmines plumber… the rathmines plumber will be in a better ad position (do both)

modified broad match - tight enough to keep you out of trouble, but broad enough

fourth: +plumber +rathmines -> ad headline: rathmines plumber -> plumber in 20 sub-locations -> 1 keyword per adgroup -> inn that adgroup have 1 ad

andy is in excel more often than he is in adwords

know how to join words together in excel

local lead generation is so easy to beat the competition

exercise: how many ads actually put in the location, when you click on the ads, how many LP’s show what they are searching for in the location they need?

as a frustrated searcher… what ad and LP do you want to see? Refer back to the holy trinity of paid search

Thanks @sonny_1080 for writing up the summary. Very helpful!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.