The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazon Cuts North Carolina Affiliates to Avoid Tax

Taxes and regulation

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
good for them!

this country is all about driving out businesses instead of helping grow them.
What a time to do it too.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ahhh the dangers of not driving a Fastlane ... you leave someone else in control.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Heard they did the same in Rhode Island.... incredible.

MJ you are correct, but it's also an opportunity for someone to learn to adapt. Incorporate in another state, back in business. Sure you can sit and pout that your income was just cut in half, or you can quickly change and adapt to the situation and move forward.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sulli

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jul 26, 2007
Well, these states had better be careful, because most internet based businesses can be operated in any state. If internet taxation or affiliate nexus issues affected my business, you'd better believe I'll be moving out of that State.

But, what this means in the big picture is that the State could potentially lose more money than they gain. If businesses pull out of State or shutdown their affiliates within the State - not only does the State not collect the internet tax or taxes through affiliate nexus, but they lose income tax through traditional means.

I hope that made sense :) This stuff pisses me off.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I think we're going to see "internet safe states", just like the states that cater to C corporations, RE investors, LLCs, etc.

Some states recognize the advantages of having businesses-- lots more local jobs, or if their charges/taxes are less than other states (but still there), they still make money. And jobs.

Of course, if you have your (fastlane) internet business so automated it doesn't *need* any human labor . . .

-Russ H.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
It isn't just Amazon... look at the effect that Millionaire taxes are having on states.

The legislature sits down and realizes that they have a shortfall so they come up with a tax that only hits those damned rich millionaires. Smart policy right? You nail a very small percentage of voters that way.

What they did not count on is that people who earn over a million per year generally have a GPS is the rich guy mobile and plug in the coordinates for a state without the millionaire tax.

Check out what's happened in states in the northeast that have gone to that well one too many times.

So what's this got to do with Amazon and a couple states? Simple - business will move to the most tax friendly location and do business where it is least penalized.

Several states, the most heavily taxed ones ironically, are on the verge of bankruptcy right now because they realized too late that their projections failed to take into consideration that those hit by new taxes might decide to leave the state and take their company with them.

NOTE: Studiously avoided political overtones here, just pointing out the those States which tax most heavily are in the worst shape economically. Whether it is cause and effect or one hell of a coincidence I'll leave to the reader.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Politicians enact policy like they're in a vacuum. The expect no reaction from the people they penalize and tax. Tax "millionaires" 70% and they expect millionaires to DO NOTHING, sit back, and say "Oh well". Do you think we become millionaires sitting back and being aloof to the hand we're dealt??? The reality? We pack our bags, move our businesses, lay off the employees, leave and tell the state to F*ck off. I already hear there is a mass exodus from the state of Oregon ... no worries, maybe that bum on the street can give you a job.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
We pack our bags, move our businesses, lay off the employees, leave and tell the state to F*ck off. ... no worries, maybe that bum on the street can give you a job.

:great:

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
Politicians enact policy like they're in a vacuum. The expect no reaction from the people they penalize and tax. Tax "millionaires" 70% and they expect millionaires to DO NOTHING, sit back, and say "Oh well". Do you think we become millionaires sitting back and being aloof to the hand we're dealt??? The reality? We pack our bags, move our businesses, lay off the employees, leave and tell the state to F*ck off. I already hear there is a mass exodus from the state of Oregon ... no worries, maybe that bum on the street can give you a job.

Yeah - I was trying to be PC. Then hear comes MJ translating good bobo into actual bobo

TJComer02

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 30, 2009
This is exactly why I posted the question i did in the ebiz section. Simply because I don't want my one source of income to be taken away, or severely cut for that matter. If you've got your eggs in ten baskets, and each basket is worth 100K, then if you get 20% taken away, you've still got 800K. I know it sucks but it's better than having two million in one basket and getting one basket taken away.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.