The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amateurs vs Pros

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If an amateur poker player gets beaten by someone doing something dumb they often go "on tilt" (get mad or fearful and no longer play their best game). Professional players don't bat an eyelid though - they just file it away for future reference.

What's helped me in business is to see everything as a series of tests where my job is to observe the result dispassionately but with interest - same as that professional poker player.

If something doesn't work out then "get curious, not furious".

Come up with a theory about why the results were different than you expected, devise a way to test that theory, and observe the results dispassionately but with interest.

Act. Assess. Adjust.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Running ads taught me really quickly that I'm not as smart or insightful as I think I am.

It also taught me that this fact is not actually a barrier, but an opportunity. It gives me permission to fail.

"He is playing on the safe side of a hundred to one shot. If the article is successful, it may make him millions. If he is mistaken about it, the loss is a trifle." Claude Hopkins, Scientific Advertising

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
If an amateur poker player gets beaten by someone doing something dumb they often go "on tilt" (get mad or fearful and no longer play their best game). Professional players don't bat an eyelid though - they just file it away for future reference.

What's helped me in business is to see everything as a series of tests where my job is to observe the result dispassionately but with interest - same as that professional poker player.

If something doesn't work out then "get curious, not furious".

Come up with a theory about why the results were different than you expected, devise a way to test that theory, and observe the results dispassionately but with interest.

Act. Assess. Adjust.
Great post. If you dont mind me asking here, what type of business do you run?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
I do Google Ads for businesses, and sell a course or two
Right on man, that is awesome, thanks for the reply. Just trying to get acquainted with the people and what they do, I see you on here a bunch and wanted to get to know you a bit better. I do not have a business currently, my wife and I are in idea generation mode and have about 3 or 4 that we will select from in the coming month. I hope to see you out there on the road! Keep up the badass hustle.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
It's funny how when I'm on the martial arts mats I act like a pro as described by Andy in this post. Always curious, always trying new things or concepts to see what works, and what doesn't, being completely undetached as you are trying to develop new skills, not necessarily ''WIN'' all the time.

The skills you develop help you win later, but look like a fool at first until you have honed the new skill.

It occurred to me that Martial arts is like business, as it's very much act, assess and adjust in that sport.

My take away is to treat Business as another competitive sport, and not be so attached to outcomes when experimenting with different things.

Also, when you think about it, everything in life is based on the Act, Asses, and adjust principle.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's funny how when I'm on the martial arts mats I act like a pro as described by Andy in this post. Always curious, always trying new things or concepts to see what works, and what doesn't, being completely undetached as you are trying to develop new skills, not necessarily ''WIN'' all the time.

The skills you develop help you win later, but look like a fool at first until you have honed the new skill.

It occurred to me that Martial arts is like business, as it's very much act, assess and adjust in that sport.

My take away is to treat Business as another competitive sport, and not be so attached to outcomes when experimenting with different things.

Also, when you think about it, everything in life is based on the Act, Asses, and adjust principle.
Exactly. So if your website visitors drops don't get disheartened or mad.

John Clancy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
349%
Feb 23, 2015

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yep - this quote has stuck with me since I first read it, too.

A good book on the topic of presenting ideas in a way that sticks is "The Micro-Script Rules": The Micro-Script Rules - 2nd Edition: How to tell your …

Full of examples + techniques for crafting these kinds of phrases.
I love that book, and I love micro scripts. I can say "diesel and coffee" and lots of people know what I mean.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.