The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

All Natural Medicine idea

Idea threads

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hi, this is my first post. Almost finished with the book and it's amazing. Well the other day I had another migraine, this one was by far the worst I've ever had. So while I was reading online for good migraine medicines the usuals came up like aleve and excedrin, but there's nothing I know of that really works well. I'm not big into pills and I prefer naturals so I shy away from these meds.

So while I was looking this up I found certain vitamins and herbs that work for both preventative and both during migraines. I had the idea of creating a medicine that really works well and is all natural. What I'm not sure about is any sort of regulations or testing to manufacture and distribute medicines. I plan to get a company to manufacture while I deal with the design and distribution. I've googled this a bit and I can't really find any good info on this. I've seen much on starting a dietary supplement line but not like this. So does anyone know if the product needs FDA testing or licensing or any sort of regulations tied to this?

Thanks very much for any help

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

People sell supplements without FDA approval.

Don't quote me on this, but it's something along the line of 'If you don't make a claim that the vitamins/supplements do/cure anything' then you're okay. Not sure exactly but there's a bunch of guys on here that do this kind of stuff so I'm sure someone will know.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks, I wasn't sure if something like whey protein would be classified the same as something like migraine medicine. That'd be nice, save a lot of work/money.

tycoon7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Nov 20, 2013
You can make claims. Just add this to the bottom:
This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
In fact the majority of sups i saw on the market have this sign on the packaging.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Hi, this is my first post. Almost finished with the book and it's amazing. Well the other day I had another migraine, this one was by far the worst I've ever had. So while I was reading online for good migraine medicines the usuals came up like aleve and excedrin, but there's nothing I know of that really works well. I'm not big into pills and I prefer naturals so I shy away from these meds.

So while I was looking this up I found certain vitamins and herbs that work for both preventative and both during migraines. I had the idea of creating a medicine that really works well and is all natural. What I'm not sure about is any sort of regulations or testing to manufacture and distribute medicines. I plan to get a company to manufacture while I deal with the design and distribution. I've googled this a bit and I can't really find any good info on this. I've seen much on starting a dietary supplement line but not like this. So does anyone know if the product needs FDA testing or licensing or any sort of regulations tied to this?

Thanks very much for any help

You have a ton reading to do before I would even think about moving forward with this. You need to familiarize yourself with every detail about the supplement world including regulations, your ability to make claims, FDA requirement etc.. Don't jump in without doing your homework or you will cost yourself a lot of money and headaches (ha!) down the road. A lot of people are moving into the space, myself included, but you won't make any money if you don't do things right. You are dealing with people's health and something they ingest so proceed cautiously.

You can make claims. Just add this to the bottom:

In fact the majority of sups i saw on the market have this sign on the packaging.

Pretty much every dietary supplement must have this on the label. The claims you put on the bottle can't contradict that statement, meaning you can't say this product cures migraines and then stick that underneath.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks, this is what I was thinking. I'll definitely be looking deeper into this. Would something like this be able to find a manufacturer on alibaba? I'm not finding anything like that so figured I'd ask.
You have a ton reading to do before I would even think about moving forward with this. You need to familiarize yourself with every detail about the supplement world including regulations, your ability to make claims, FDA requirement etc.. Don't jump in without doing your homework or you will cost yourself a lot of money and headaches (ha!) down the road. A lot of people are moving into the space, myself included, but you won't make any money if you don't do things right. You are dealing with people's health and something they ingest so proceed cautiously.

Pretty much every dietary supplement must have this on the label. The claims you put on the bottle can't contradict that statement, meaning you can't say this product cures migraines and then stick that underneath.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Whatever direction you go with this, DO NOT go without product liability insurance. You need protection if someone claims to get sick (or worse, killed) consuming your product.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Search private label supplements/ private label supplement manufacturers on google and start making phone calls. There are literally a few hundred manufacturers in the USA, finding the right one is the challenge. Nutricap labs is the behemoth in the industry, but their custom formulations start at 1500 bottles. Just have a solid idea of how many bottles you want to buy and the specific formula. You may not be taken seriously until you have a company set up, Federal EIN etc.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Whatever direction you go with this, DO NOT go without product liability insurance. You need protection if someone claims to get sick (or worse, killed) consuming your product.

This is true, but you need to find a manufacturer that will include you on their policy (and they must be willing to provide a certificate proving they have done so). Buying separate liability insurance early on is just not feasible until you are making serious money. From what I have heard supplement liability insurance can run $5000-10,000+ per month.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Great idea, thanks.
Search private label supplements/ private label supplement manufacturers on google and start making phone calls. There are literally a few hundred manufacturers in the USA, finding the right one is the challenge. Nutricap labs is the behemoth in the industry, but their custom formulations start at 1500 bottles. Just have a solid idea of how many bottles you want to buy and the specific formula. You may not be taken seriously until you have a company set up, Federal EIN etc.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Dr. oz mentioned that feverfew was a cure for migraines. Herbal industry is hard because there are so many generic brands you'll need to figure out your USP. I wish you luck.

P.S. I usually look for the cheapest deal as a consumer of herbal supplements and I have found puritan pride to be the cheapest when they have there buy 1 get 2 free deal. I am not loyal to brands, but, I am loyal to deals and I tend to go with puritan for my herbal needs.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Feverfew was actually one of the herbs I was reading into. Haven't tried any of them though yet.
Dr. oz mentioned that feverfew was a cure for migraines. Herbal industry is hard because there are so many generic brands you'll need to figure out your USP. I wish you luck.

P.S. I usually look for the cheapest deal as a consumer of herbal supplements and I have found puritan pride to be the cheapest when they have there buy 1 get 2 free deal. I am not loyal to brands, but, I am loyal to deals and I tend to go with puritan for my herbal needs.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.