The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ages and Stages

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Three separate engagements this week, one stupid bias.

I just turned 50. Like all 'milestone' birthdays, it brings the whackadoos out of the woodwork. I'm supposed to act my age - this hasn't been a problem since they said it 10 years ago. Not only am I supposed to ACT my age, I'm supposed to be in a certain STAGE of my life. Which is a lovely sentiment, but just doesn't hold water.

Let's pretend no one knows how old I am:
I graduated college in 2009, and bought my first house in 2011. I've had 2 jobs in my career. I hope to get married within 3 years. I've just started on my entrepreneurial journey. I turned down my trainer's offer to prep me for a bodybuilding competition, because I don't have time.
Now how old am I?

See? I'm 31. Except that I look like a nice middle-aged lady, and the cognitive dissonance really, really bugs some people.

So what? What's this got to do with the Fastlane? Lots!

No one outside our brains knows what we're capable of. It doesn't matter what we look like; we're under no obligation to perform like trained seals to what other people think. We don't have to buy in to narratives that don't work for us, and we don't have to listen to people who want to pull us back in to the crab bucket. The standard 'everyone does it' bias is a great filter - if someone pulls that noise, they're not going to get any more of my time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GeorgiaHustle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
No one outside our brains knows what we're capable of. It doesn't matter what we look like; we're under no obligation to perform like trained seals to what other people think. We don't have to buy in to narratives that don't work for us, and we don't have to listen to people who want to pull us back in to the crab bucket. The standard 'everyone does it' bias is a great filter - if someone pulls that noise, they're not going to get any more of my time.

Thank You for fleshing this out. You are exactly right, too many people observe life and others under a "cookie cut lens".

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Thank You for fleshing this out. You are exactly right, too many people observe life and others under a "cookie cut lens".
The part you bolded, i was thinking about the same exact thing an hour ago while I was doing cardio (60 minutes straight!)

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016

I just turned 50. Like all 'milestone' birthdays, it brings the whackadoos out of the woodwork. I'm supposed to act my age - this hasn't been a problem since they said it 10 years ago. Not only am I supposed to ACT my age, I'm supposed to be in a certain STAGE of my life. Which is a lovely sentiment, but just doesn't hold water.

I graduated college in 2009, and bought my first house in 2011. I've had 2 jobs in my career. I hope to get married within 3 years. I've just started on my entrepreneurial journey. I turned down my trainer's offer to prep me for a bodybuilding competition, because I don't have time.
Now how old am I?

See? I'm 31. Except that I look like a nice middle-aged lady, and the cognitive dissonance really, really bugs some people.

"I'm not a kid anymore. I don't have time. I'm set in my ways."

You just annihilated those excuses, and a million like them.

matteblack

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 1, 2023
India

Now how old am I?

Bump

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
There are many dimensions to this age argument.

On one hand, you are always young if you are healthy. How much time do you have in life is really more related to your biological age defined by health markers rather than your passport age defined by date of birth.

There is no basis for comparison if you are playing different games. If you are running your own business there is no milestone for promotion, pay raise, and the need to egoistically prove that you are "earning more than your peers of the same age".

Age is a useful proxy used by people who are playing the same traditional game, where there is a strong correlation between progress and time input.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.