The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

shneebz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Sep 7, 2023
Hi, I'm a corporate slave by day (Lead User Experience Researcher for a Fortune 100 company) and trying to do my own thing outside that. I'm here on the internet to find like-minded peeps and figure out if I can get some direction on what to do. Basically, I need help and I don't know how else to find it other than the internet.

This is a list of what I'm best at. Any ideas what would be a good pursuit that would bring value to my community/society (and ideally make me more money than my current role every could)?
  • desk researching a topic
  • distilling key takeaways/info
  • patience/discipline
  • searching the internet
  • optimizing (nutrition, fitness, sleep, finances)
  • overconfidence
  • world building (ie role playing game worlds)
  • mentoring (mentoring hundreds of junior researchers throughout the years for free, consider it my duty to help the newbies)
  • utilizing code and multimedia
  • user experience research methods
  • event planning
  • parody/satire
  • creating presentation decks
@MJ DeMarco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Read MJs books.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Along with what @Antifragile said, read the GOLD and Notable threads.

No one is going to tell you what business you start. You need to change your frame of mind to think like an entrepreneur. That means, first and foremost, you need to find out how to provide value to people. MJ's books and the threads mentioned above provide information on this.

Ela

Freelance Web Developer and SEO Expert
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 21, 2022
India
I understand your situation; it's hard to know which path to take and ensure it's right. But the secret is trying something with whatever resource you have is the first step.

You can all read 100 books, but at the end of the day, getting shit done matters. So start something, try it and learn it; you will find your path eventually. Once again, you must understand your strengths and weaknesses, the resources you have, like money, network and connections, and finally, time.

A simple thing to do is ask your spouse, brother/sis, or anyone you trust who knows you better if you are unsure about your path. I always try this when I get confused or frustrated; my wife gives me the best and most honest suggestions. It always works.

I hope you will start your tomorrow with something. All the best.

shneebz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Sep 7, 2023
Definitely. I've read enough. I'm looking to do something, however small.

shneebz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Sep 7, 2023
Any in particular? There's a lot.
Along with what @Antifragile said, read the GOLD and Notable threads.

No one is going to tell you what business you start. You need to change your frame of mind to think like an entrepreneur. That means, first and foremost, you need to find out how to provide value to people. MJ's books and the threads mentioned above provide information on this.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Any in particular? There's a lot.
You want me to pick what threads to read. Do you want me to build a business for you too?

Click on the tab for Gold Threads and start scrolling. If you come across a title that seems interesting, start reading. You don't have to read every thread and every response. Read as much as you find helpful.

Personally, it was the Gold and Notable threads that brought me to the type of business I am currently starting. Maybe it will do the same for you.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Definitely. I've read enough. I'm looking to do something, however small.

Go make $5 of profit tomorrow. Doesn't matter how. Report back when done.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'm here on the internet to find like-minded peeps

Let me see if I can help. I feel like everyone here is speaking English, but different frames of reference means the messages being sent are not the ones being received.

It's a little like people are speaking different languages. let me see if I can bridge the gap.

Let's start at the beginning. You want to find people who think like you.

But this community does not think like you. Our thinking is better for us, and maybe you won't like our approach. But I suspect you will...

figure out if I can get some direction on what to do. Basically, I need help and I don't know how else to find it other than the internet.

This is a list of what I'm best at. Any ideas what would be a good pursuit that would bring value to my community/society (and ideally make me more money than my current role every could)?

At first glance, it might seem like we all think alike. But this comment shows that what you are after is essentially creating yourself a different job doing something that makes you more money and that you like more than what you're doing now.

And people here, generally speaking, want to build a business that's an asset for them that they control that will provide them both time and money freedom.

And to do that, you need to learn for yourself, decide for yourself and do for yourself. Figure things out.

It's a different mindset right from the beginning.

Not that there's anything wrong with your approach. It's just different than what this forum is about and preaches.

But we do have something in common.

what would be a good pursuit that would bring value

This question is where it all starts.

Because you wrote this, I figured I'd take a little time to respond.

Another way to think about it is what problem can you solve, that someone will pay you to solve.

So go back over that list and look at that list through the lens of problems to be solved.

What is the problem?
How can you solve it?
How will you get paid?

Once you've adjusted your list to factor that in, you need to start thinking in terms of resources. Time, money, and knowledge are your three limited resources.

Here's a post I wrote that will help you try and formulate the right questions and might get you unstuck from your current situation. It's one of those gold posts you wanted someone to point out...

And I just want to thank @Andy Black for pointing out that we here on the forum might be better leaders by taking a less confrontational stance with people who are here. After all, they don't speak our language yet...

Last edited:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
And I just want to thank @Andy Black for pointing out that we here on the forum might be better leaders by taking a less confrontational stance with people who are here. After all, they don't speak our language yet...
Well said @BizyDad I should be more mindful. Sometimes the volume of new people asking the same questions feels like the same people never learning. But that is not the case. New people find this forum. New people need time to learn the culture of the forum.

shneebz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Sep 7, 2023
Let me see if I can help. I feel like everyone here is speaking English, but different frames of reference means the messages being sent are not the ones being received.

It's a little like people are speaking different languages. let me see if I can bridge the gap.

Let's start at the beginning. You want to find people who think like you.

But this community does not think like you. Our thinking is better for us, and maybe you won't like our approach. But I suspect you will...

At first glance, it might seem like we all think alike. But this comment shows that what you are after is essentially creating yourself a different job doing something that makes you more money and that you like more than what you're doing now.

And people here, generally speaking, want to build a business that's an asset for them that they control that will provide them both time and money freedom.

And to do that, you need to learn for yourself, decide for yourself and do for yourself. Figure things out.

It's a different mindset right from the beginning.

Not that there's anything wrong with your approach. It's just different than what this forum is about and preaches.

But we do have something in common.

This question is where it all starts.

Because you wrote this, I figured I'd take a little time to respond.

Another way to think about it is what problem can you solve, that someone will pay you to solve.

So go back over that list and look at that list through the lens of problems to be solved.

What is the problem?
How can you solve it?
How will you get paid?

Once you've adjusted your list to factor that in, you need to start thinking in terms of resources. Time, money, and knowledge are your three limited resources.

Here's a post I wrote that will help you try and formulate the right questions and might get you unstuck from your current situation. It's one of those gold posts you wanted someone to point out...

Thank you. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be an entrepreneur. Maybe I'm just meant to work for someone who is and get paid decently.

For now, I'm trying to go to more meetups, events, networking etc to meet people in my city and see if all that "livin" connects any dots for any ideas/problems I see people have. That seems like the most natural approach to finding the right path.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Thank you. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be an entrepreneur. Maybe I'm just meant to work for someone who is and get paid decently.

For now, I'm trying to go to more meetups, events, networking etc to meet people in my city and see if all that "livin" connects any dots for any ideas/problems I see people have. That seems like the most natural approach to finding the right path.

Keep us posted. You never know, you might surprise yourself.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire

Sometimes you grow into the person who needs to be an entrepreneur. You might have what we call a "F*ck This Event," short for an FTE. From there, you have this drive that forces you out of your comfort zone and into being an entrepreneur.

Other times, you might need a paradigm shift in thinking to realize you want to become an entrepreneur.

For me, it was the paradigm shift from reading The Millionaire Fastlane and Rich Dad, Poor Dad that set me on the path to entrepreneurship. It was multiple FTEs and a very strong "WHY" that has driven me to stay focus and continue to stay driven.

Developing the correct mindset is crucial for most entrepreneurs. TMF and @MJ DeMarco's other books are some of those books that has helped me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.